What am I going to do all summer?

Since NYCC we have found out there will not be any Marvel Legends until August. I don't know what I am going to do. I was hoping for somehting in the summer. Now all I can do is save. I thought it might be a grand time to hunt for rare figures since I'll have some leftover money even after saving. What are you going to do now that we have no new legends for sale in the summer?

Why does a hobby have to be predicated on buying new stuff? Why not do things with the stuff you already have??

Heck, they could stop making the line tomorrow and that would not mean the fun ends. Its all about what you bring to it.

Why does a hobby have to be predicated on buying new stuff? Why not do things with the stuff you already have??

Heck, they could stop making the line tomorrow and that would not mean the fun ends. Its all about what you bring to it.

But over 90% of my stuff is MOC there is not much I can do with it, besides maybe display it differently. And if your hobby is collecting Marvel Legends, you have to buy them in order to collect them. Isn't that the hobby accumulating figures to display and enjoy. So if the line was cancelled then the hobby would end. Just like reading comics if they stop making comics then you can't get more to read, and therefore you would have no means to perpetuate the hobby.

But over 90% of my stuff is MOC there is not much I can do with it, besides maybe display it differently. And if your hobby is collecting Marvel Legends, you have to buy them in order to collect them. Isn't that the hobby accumulating figures to display and enjoy. So if the line was cancelled then the hobby would end. Just like reading comics if they stop making comics then you can't get more to read, and therefore you would have no means to perpetuate the hobby.

Oh c'mon.........use your imagination.

Think outside the damn box.

Perpetuating the hobby means expanding the hobby. If you limit the enjoyment to just the MOC stuff you are only getting a tiny part of what is possible.

Consider:

Expanding your skills beyond just buying, to creating.

Get some cheapo ML figures, dump the contents and create all new custom characters and card backs to include with other comics.

Don't have a ML Guardian of Alpha Flight, for example? Make your own and add in a copy of Alpha Flight #1. Repeat as necessary for any other character you desire. Your collection will expand indefinitely, and you will have new skills to learn and perfect in the process.

You have something you can enjoy for a loooooooooooong time, and NO-ONE else will have anything else like it (bragging rights!).

And if that is too daunting, you can always commission someone to do it for you.

You can make your own boxed sets, two packs--whatever you want. The sky is the limit.

You can create special shelving displays, theme the MOC card samples with the original comics, or original art. You can hunt for prototypes, dealer samples or store displays.

It really makes me roll my eyes when I see someone declare that the "hobby is dead" because they stop making or delay releasing the toys. It makes me wonder what people like that were buying the stuff for in the first place.

Well, there you go then. Use your spare funds to increase your loose collection.

thats great there wont be any ML's till august. MORE TIME to save! I ended up broke buying all these superhero squad figures and the the dc universe classics, oh yeah and those iron man movie figures. i should have enough by august. thanks hasbro.

Start collecting the 25th Anniversary GI Joe stuff.

There's so much GI Joe stuff coming out this summer, I'm getting worried I won't have enough extra funds to buy it all. @lol@

Buy DCUC! Those figures look great.

I would save my money though, because the last half of the year is supposed to be heavy with Marvel. After all, there's going to be 8 $15 Hulk figures, a Target Exclusive Wave, a Wal Mart Exclusive Wave, Two packs, and Iron Man figures. There will be plenty to spend on. I plan on buying a couple Hand Ninjas, so I gotta save money.

yeah... its kinda crappy huh.... I haven't really had any Marvel Legends to collect in well over a year... I been collecting the GiJoe 25th stuff.... and the DCUC stuff....

Since NYCC we have found out there will not be any Marvel Legends until August. I don't know what I am going to do. I was hoping for somehting in the summer. Now all I can do is save. I thought it might be a grand time to hunt for rare figures since I'll have some leftover money even after saving. What are you going to do now that we have no new legends for sale in the summer?

Take up smoking crack! I heard it's pretty cool!

I hope you guys realize I was exaggerating, I don't mind the break from ML's I rather save my money for school and reserve some for legends, this is a major heads up to me because once the figures come out I will already have the money one hand. As far as doing customs goes that is problably more exspensive and time consuming than just buying ML figures, especially when you put in for buying figures to get certain parts, paint, the apoxy mold, glue, paint brushes. It really adds up not to mention if you want to do it the correct way you have to pay for the correct and adequate materials. I really like collecting Legends but the money time and effort it takes to do customs is not for me. I rather just buy of figures. But if I wasn't a hardcore MOC collector buying figures all summer wouldn't be so bad. I just rather buy them little by little in the summer than in bulk at one time. But saving is not bad it is a good habit to build. So guys don't think I am some whining collector who has no life and is in panic because there a no Legends to buy this summer.

As far as doing customs goes that is problably more exspensive and time consuming than just buying ML figures, especially when you put in for buying figures to get certain parts, paint, the apoxy mold, glue, paint brushes. It really adds up not to mention if you want to do it the correct way you have to pay for the correct and adequate materials.

Think.

Outside.

The.

Box.

Here's a shortcut: You do not have to make the figures.

Or hire a customizer.

Take EXISTING figures from other ML-like lines, and make up ML-like packaging for them--with specific comics to go behind them.

For example: Shocker or Venom from SMC would be great in the ML style packaging. All you have to do is make the graphics, and you'll have something truly unique.

I'm not saying there will not be expenses or work, but those things will add to the enjoyment because they will expand what is possible for you. Think of it as an investment of time, and a small amount of capital, towards skills that you can use ANY TIME down the line.

All it means is that you are not just buying stuff, but if just that is what floats yer boat, then stay with that.

Heck I wish they could stop making them for a couple of years it would give me a chance to save up even more $$$ & get what I currently have organized :D which is frankly hard to do when all the different toy makers out there keep on pimping out toys that I want to buy :S

I am going to build new shelves and rearrange my ML collection. I have got all I needed including variants so I am going to incorporate them into my collection. Look at the first phase of my collection:

http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mod...600&start=0

It is defintely going to change! I already started, but I am going to use a bigger room. Any suggestions on backgounds and accessories?

I am also going to save $$ because there is not anything I am not going to collect (I just hope that that I can find them all and not get hosed by using ebay). I plan on building more armys - I got 7 Hydra soldiers, 3 Sentinel, 6 Skrull/Brood and I bought 5 smeagols so that they can be mole man minions. I defintely want some Hand ninjas, Kree soldiers, and SHIELD agents!