The Mandarin

Darth Vehmic

im with Johnny one this. BUT i realise that one of the reasons he was chinese when he was first introduced was becuase iron man was mostly a anti-communist when he first started out.

Well most of the people you've talked to must not know much about marvels history. 616 Fury is superior in every way. Ever heard of the howling commandos? Thats heritagte baby. Fury stays young by ingesting the top secret Ininifty Formula. Thats how the movie could of had a 40 year old playing him.

But once again, explaining all of that is a tangent that would have nothing to do with anything else. The ties to WWII are fine in the comics, where they can pause, recap, or simply refer you to the classic stories. Movies do not have that luxury. Backstory like that is an entire movie in itself. For purposes of time, story, and pacing, Nick Fury probably wouldn't even mention being in WWII or the Howling Commandos, even if he were the 616 Fury. Then we come back to the question I posed: If movie Fury hasn't been around since WWII, why does he need to be 616 Fury?

Of course, as others have pointed out, a movie is not 616 just because the comics it's based on are. There are huge and multiple changes that were made to all the characters and the story. There is no way that anything about it fits into comic-book continuity, so your argument that 616 is superior and must be adhered to doesn't really hold any water- we'd have to toss the entire movie out.

The only thing you seem to be really getting at here is race, although you're trying to claim it isn't. I can actually agree that there are times when the race of a character is important. Sometimes, it's not. For a good example, Michael Clarke Duncan was a fantastic Kingpin. No one seems to think he did a bad job; the complainers only point out that he's not white. To that I say: what part of the character is his race focal to? How does he revolve around being Caucasian?

The short answer is that it's not important to him. Just like a non-WWII based Nick Fury has no reason to be white. Mandarin... actually, I can see a little bit of your drama there. However, your adamance is still a little alarming, especially since at this point all that's going on is some fans on a message board discussing the possibility.

It's an interesting debate because how much of a hero's story is necessary to their identity, and how much of it is purely a product of the era in which it came about?

Like with Captain America being blue-eyed and blond. This, I imagine, was an intentional choice at the time of the character's inception to make him "all-american". But the definition of "all-american" has certainly changed in the last 60-70 years, and a lot more people/ethnic backgrounds are accepted as "american". I personally am not proposing that Steve Rogers in a movie shouldn't be blond/blue-eyed, but I'm curious about whether that is still widely considered what it means to "look all-american".

I love Samuel L. Jackson, and I think the Nick Fury personality is what really needs to be preserved, not the war he came from or the ethnicity.

SO MANY things need to be changed when it comes to creating a compelling movie. How crappy would the X-Men movies have been if they followed 616 continuity. Would movie-goers really have wanted to sit through a snowball-version of Iceman, Angel in the ugly costume flying around with a big metal rod as a weapon (from what I remember of some of the covers featuring Angel back in the day), and villains like Changeling? The best parts need to be pulled from the continuity and strung together differently in order to make a cohesive 90 minute movie. They'd waste so much time explaining why Angel and Beast left the team in X-Men 1 when the viewers who never read the comic wouldn't even know who Angel and Beast were. So we just kind of have to suspend disbelief and accept the movies as they come. Enjoy seeing an actor bring a favorite character to life.