The Mandarin

Darth Vehmic

One thing I noticed all throughout the Iron Man movie is Raza, the terrorist leader. I strongly suspect that he may become the Mandarin in future Iron Man movies, I think this because every time you see him, he's playing with a ring on his hand and his head was scarred by Tony Stark thus giving him motivation to want to kill him. What do you guys think? Jon Favreau, the director, stated that the Mandarin would not appear in the first movie but that his presence would be felt and Raza's influence was certainly felt during the whole movie.

I think the "presence felt" point refers to the terrorist group being called the Ten Rings....I dont think Raza will be the Mandarin himself, but he's probably one of his leutenants.

I wouldn't mind him being the Mandarin in the sequel. I kinda liked him.

And he wasn't shown to have been killed by Stane's men.

Furthermore he was disfigured by Iron Man, that makes a good motive for him hating Iron Man.

I really think he'll be back.

I know people are people and all but the Mandarin better damn well be Chinese when he shows up in one of the sequels. Screwing up Nick Fury is bad enough. Nick Fury was is a WW2 hero and not one single black person had a position of power in WW2. so how the hell can "General" Nick Fury be black? They should leave the crappy ultimate universe in it's lil pocket universe and use the superior 616 content for the movies.

I know people are people and all but the Mandarin better damn well be Chinese when he shows up in one of the sequels. Screwing up Nick Fury is bad enough. Nick Fury was is a WW2 hero and not one single black person had a position of power in WW2. so how the hell can "General" Nick Fury be black? They should leave the crappy ultimate universe in it's lil pocket universe and use the superior 616 content for the movies.

You just have to imagine that the entire Marvel Movie Franchise is just a differnent continuity , Things are different in all the movies compared to the original comics .......The Phoenix in X3 wasn't oringinally the way it was from the comics , the Punisher wasn't an FBI agent , he was in the military.....so you just have to imagine .

The whole reason they're doing stuff like using the Ultimate Nick Fury is cause they also want to somewhat attrack the ultiamte readers...not to mention since they did those animated movies and Nick Fury was the Black version they're sticking with that in a way....

But I do have to say , the Mandarin better be Chinese , cause of his name for one thing .....

yeah i kinda think that Raza is a lutenant too. Make sense really since he was killed. Remember all he soldier were shot why leave him out? I think the Mandirin will be in the next movie alright. but we'll have to wait till Avengers get done.

You just have to imagine that the entire Marvel Movie Franchise is just a differnent continuity , Things are different in all the movies compared to the original comics .......The Phoenix in X3 wasn't oringinally the way it was from the comics , the Punisher wasn't an FBI agent , he was in the military.....so you just have to imagine .

The whole reason they're doing stuff like using the Ultimate Nick Fury is cause they also want to somewhat attrack the ultiamte readers...not to mention since they did those animated movies and Nick Fury was the Black version they're sticking with that in a way....

But I do have to say , the Mandarin better be Chinese , cause of his name for one thing .....

Yea, if you want comic accurate stories you have to stick with the comics.

Plus how can you pass on getting Samuel L. Jackson to play Nick Fury in a movie when the Ultimate version looks just like him. I know it's the Ultimate version but the movies are not "THE" comic Marvel Universe anyway. Tony Stark also became Iron Man in the comics in the 60's. If he can be bumped up to modern times then Fury can too. He does not have to have been in WW2 anymore.

I like the idea of Raza being a leutenant. Mandarin could very well be the leader of the Ten Rings or a leutenant himself. Somehow I think if there was a sequel and Mandarin was in it that he would be gathering the ten rings for himself. It would be cool to see him getting them rather than already having them.

Getting Samuel L to play anyone isn't a mistake, no matter how far out of continuity it actually is. If he played Captain America I wouldn't care because he's Samuel L! That's all that matters.

One day he's going to say "I'm sick of all you cracka's calling Jesus a white man. I want to play Jesus motherf*ka'" Then Lions Gate will release a movie about Jesus being black starring a bald Samuel L. And you know what? It'd be great.

I could see Stane's son being in one of the movies to avenge his father's death. Seeing that there is a Titanium Man action figure from the movie line, maybe he could pop up too.

Seeing how Samuel L. Jackson inspired the new Nick Fury, he was perfect to play the part in the movie. Would you rather have David Hasselhoff reprising his Nick Fury role from the 1998 Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD movie?

I don't think he's dead because stane said that he just paralyzed him and that he would be ok in 15 minutes. I know he killed all the others, but he could be alive

If we had the 616 Nick Fury who's been around since WWII, then we'd either have him 80-90 years old (lame), or have to go into a lot of backstory that has nothing to do with the movie to explain why he's 80-90 and looks to be in his 40's.

Or we could just ignore that he's been around since WWII... which comprises a large part of the character, so taking it out means there's no reason they'd HAVE to use the 616 version.

Well people I have talked to prefer the Ultimate Nick Fury over the regular Nick Fury. Also if Nick Fury had been around since WWII don't you think he would be able to move up in rank over the years and in other wars? That seems logical to me. Anyway Ultimate Nick Fury is easier to relate to and wouldn't be over 60 years old. As a side note Sam Jackson is a great actor and will do Nick Fury justice in the Avengers movie, Marvel movies don't have to stick to the 616 universe. Marvel movies seem to be creating another alternate Marvel universe within themselves. Don't be a complaining fanboy that wants everything perfect, give Marvel due credit for at least trying to create continuity in the Avengers movie (which is not going to be in the DC Justice League movie by the way). Who cares if its Ultimate Nick Fury, its Nick Fury a really good character in both the Ultimate and 616 Universe.

In the last shot we see of Raza, Stane says something to effect that Raza is going to have a lot to deal with soon. Obviously he has one of the rings of power. Obviously he's part of Mandarin's group. He may be the Mandarin himself. It's made clear in the movie that Raza's group is from all over Asia, speaking dozens of language. Raza has dreams of being a new Khan.

The only thing I know for sure is that I am really looking forward to this movie!

It's possible that Raza could be the Mandarin, but I tend to think, and hope that he's just a lackey. The name Mandarin denotes Far East Asian, and the whole long hair big beard thing is what gives the Mandarin recognition.

Nick Fury on the otherhand, makes perfect sense being Sammuel L. Jackson. The ultimate version was specifically meant for him. Black people in WWII couldn't hold postitions of power in the military, that's true, but war hero status doesn't has to do with valor, not rank, it is ridiculous to say that there were no black WWII war heroes.

Besides, Fury is only a WWII war hero, because that's when the character was created. It makes way more sense to retcon him to a more recent war anyway, the fact that 616 Fury is still alive is a slap in the face to logic. There has been a black Iron Man, a black Captain America, a black Goliath, and a black Thor (kinda), all in the 616, why can't the movies have a black Nick Fury?

Besides, Fury is only a WWII war hero, because that's when the character was created. It makes way more sense to retcon him to a more recent war anyway, the fact that 616 Fury is still alive is a slap in the face to logic. There has been a black Iron Man, a black Captain America, a black Goliath, and a black Thor (kinda), all in the 616, why can't the movies have a black Nick Fury?

But in the comics there is a reason for Fury being as young as he is. But that's comics and sometimes what works in comics doesn't work in film. Heck both Magneto and Prof Xavier have tie to WW2, as do Reed Richards and Ben Grimm. I have no problem with Jackson being Fury in the film and am glad he was able to free up his time to do the cameo .

Well people I have talked to prefer the Ultimate Nick Fury over the regular Nick Fury. Also if Nick Fury had been around since WWII don't you think he would be able to move up in rank over the years and in other wars? That seems logical to me. Anyway Ultimate Nick Fury is easier to relate to and wouldn't be over 60 years old. As a side note Sam Jackson is a great actor and will do Nick Fury justice in the Avengers movie, Marvel movies don't have to stick to the 616 universe. Marvel movies seem to be creating another alternate Marvel universe within themselves. Don't be a complaining fanboy that wants everything perfect, give Marvel due credit for at least trying to create continuity in the Avengers movie (which is not going to be in the DC Justice League movie by the way). Who cares if its Ultimate Nick Fury, its Nick Fury a really good character in both the Ultimate and 616 Universe.

Well most of the people you've talked to must not know much about marvels history. 616 Fury is superior in every way. Ever heard of the howling commandos? Thats heritagte baby. Fury stays young by ingesting the top secret Ininifty Formula. Thats how the movie could of had a 40 year old playing him. Ulitmate plain sucks.

wow johnny whens the clan meeting. anyway i dont think they will go with the lo pan mandarin(funny that you post that cause i was just thinkng that).

It has nothing to do with being racist lil' man. Why do people want to change characters races just for the sake of changing their races? His name is Mandarin he's Chinese, end of story. Hey lets make Fin Fang Foom a Giant middle eastern guy to! If the want to create a whole slew of all new different ethnic characters go for it. Just don't change the pre-existing ones for no reason at all. If they gave tony Stark blonde hair I'd be just as pissed off. And if they don't give Steve Rogers bonde hair and blue eyes I'll be even more pissed off!