Wave 7 Vipers = Lousy?

KillyourIdols

First time poster, long-time lurker.

I ran over to my local Wal-Mart a little while ago because I'd seen others posting about finding the latest wave of Joes. And sure enough, there were traces of the latest wave there [1 HISS driver and 2 Vipers. No Joes, tho]. I picked up the three figures they had, because I've been waiting since the 25th Ann. line started for Vipers to hit shelves.

I just opened them a few minutes ago and I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed. If it was just the loose goggles or the mediocre arm articulation, I think I could deal with it. But for some reason neither of my Vipers can stand without the use of their bases. I don't know if I'm just missing it, but their feet don't seem to be able to move up or down like the other 25th Ann. figures. And the way that their boots are molded, the only way they can stand without the base is if you lean them forward at the waist to balance out the weight [if they have their backpack on, then just forget it].

Now, if this is right, then I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed. I don't keep my figures on constant display, but I do like to set them up from time to time, but not with their bases. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to stomach the idea of the base. So, if the only way I can set my Vipers up is with the base or leaning over in some ridiculous pose, then I'm really kind of upset.

[This is starting to sound even lamer than I originally thought it would.]

I had to carefully balance him to get him to stand up without his stand.

I just picked one up. I pretty much have the same complaints.

What is the point of anke articulation if his ankes wil not move. Even on the stand I have to put something behind him so he wil not fall over. It is not a problem with him staying on the stand but keeping the stand up too.

Mine will not hold his gun. His hands are so soft that they are stretched out and the gun is loose. The funky arms don't help either. I can reshape the hands with hot/cold water but the arms just mess them up again no matter how I try to have him hold the gun.

The goggles just plain will not stay on and are very loose. I know I'll loose them and then the Viper is going to look wrong. I might just glue them on.

The backpack does not want to stay in his back very well either.

The Viper should have been one of the best 25th figures and quickly became one of my least favorites.

I realize I'm bordering on blasphemy here, but from a costume design standpoint, I prefer the VVV wave 7 Viper. I have 50 of these figures and was worried I'd have to replace them when the inevitable better version of them would come out from the 25th line. Viewing this new 25th version, that worry has subsided.

I just opened them a few minutes ago and I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed. If it was just the loose goggles or the mediocre arm articulation, I think I could deal with it. But for some reason neither of my Vipers can stand without the use of their bases.

I completely 100% AGREE!!!!

This was a figure I was very much looking forward to and it turned out to be a MAJOR disappointment. From the loose goggles, to the rubbery/soft plastic used for this figure to the removable vest/flak jacket. WTF were they thinking...a removable vest...why????

The pictures of this figure looked great but the end result is a HUGE let down. Why can’t Hasbro get the Cobra troops done right? 1st the Cobra/Cobra Officers are unable to hold there rifles past there waist and now this piece of CRAP.

On the positive side the Snake Eyes from this wave is incredible. It has excellent detail and they used a harder plastic so the joints move easier and he can be posed better.

im gluing the goggles on... who wanted them removable??? Oh right.. NOBODY!

I like how hasbro goes the extra mile to give us things we dont want.. but they neglect us with things like.. I don't know.... useable elbows??

that Elbow articulation is crap... RAH had better elbows 25 years ago! swivel biceps, normal elbows.. is that too difficult?

I actually like the vest. It's not really any worse than Gung-Ho and Beach Head having removable vests. It's just that his is fastened up.

The Viper looks nice but the simplest things like getting him to hold anything and stand are my biggest issues with him.

Mine also has a problem with the backpack not staying on his back. It falls out very easily.

It's really unfortunate that the Viper is as flawed as he is. I was originally very hesitant to start buying the 25th Ann. line, mainly because I haven't really collected toys in a long time. But when I actually went through with buying one of the figures [the hooded Storm Shadow], I found myself getting hooked on them. I even started army-building Cobra troops, something I've never done before with any toyline. So, when the Vipers were announced a few months back, I was really psyched. I'd intended to get as many of them as I could, so that I'd finally be able to have the impressive Cobra army I never had as a child [i only ever had two '86 Vipers].

Now, though, that I've seen how terrible the figure is [and I've had zero complaints with any other figure. Even Gung-Ho], I have absolutely no plans to buy anymore. It's a very childish response, I realize, but this is the figure I've anticipated most and it's a complete let-down.

Just found all of Wave 7 myself and I have to say, the Viper isn't nearly as bad as you guys make him out to be. It he perfect? No. But he's not THAT bad. Nothing to stop collecting the line over. I have no problems getting mine to stand and the hands are not as bad as they initially seem to be. No, the goggles don't stay on well but as long as you aren't slinging him around the room, they stay on just fine. I understand the complaints, and they ARE justified, but I don't think these are as bad as everyone is making them sound.

I think the problem stems from the fact that so many figures in the line are superb, that when one falls short, it is a huge let down and that disappointment blows the flaws WAY out of proportion.

The entire line is "far from perfect", but I haven't seen a line of Joes (since the relaunch)...that is "perfect". :(

It's too hard to resist the 25th line right now, because of the HEAVY nostalgia factor it's gushing with, and how cool everything LOOKS....again! :) The downside is, it's pretty obvious that all the effort in recreating and presenting this line for us old fans (as it is) went into it's appearances more than it's actual functions....as an action figure TOY!

Everything seems too dainty and flimsy and accessories are more for looks than function, and rarely work as intended. Articulation is less on these than it should be, with all the new points of it on them, and it is pretty disappointing, in seeing what could have been even better, if it had been given just that wee bit extra effort in the final product.

I'm more impressed with this line, if I keep it mint, than when I get it out to "play" with it. All the flaws and aggravations are only noticable.....LOOSE! ^_^

I'll "hunt" for about the minimum 5 on these.

I wouldn't argue about the Viper looking great; he really does look amazing. I admired the carded figure for a minute or two before opening it. Even as I was taking him out of the package, I really loved all the detail and accessories. But it's the inability to stand without work or a crutch that destroys the figure for me.

I won't be picking up the line anymore, because what I wanted with my collection was to amass a real decent-sized Cobra army. If that army won't include the '86 Vipers [my absolute favorite Cobra troop], then I've lost interest in following through with my original plans. I think it really bums me out though, because I already invested in several Crimson Guards and even more Officer/Troopers.

Calm down, people. There are several good things to remember:

1. This figure will be re-released at least 7-8 more times, if the trooper/officer is any indication.

2. It is possible that Hasbro can and will go in and fix some of the things that are giving you guys fits- I point to the all-black Snake-Eyes.

I think chances are pretty good that we'll see better Vipers. I also don't think the issues with this figure are any worse than some of the others (Duke!), so if this one figure turns you off the entire line... I have to wonder what kept you here in the first place.

There is no way I would stop collecting Joes because of this one figure.

The goggles can easily be fixed by glueing them. I noticed that little part sticking out on the back of the helmet that helps keep the goggles in place. He really needs one on each side and maybe front to help keep them on better.

Is there a way to pop off the feet and maybe trim up the lower part of the boot to get some of it out of the way so the ankle will be moveable? That would help alot right there.

For the feet, all I did was turn the foot to the side and bend it all the way forward and all the way back, then turn the foot back and now my Vipers stand straight with the stand & without it. And I put just a dab of superglue on the back of the helmet lip where the goggles sit and now they're nice and secure.

Well, it's like I said, I was already on the fence in regards to starting a collection. I realize that it's only one figure, but it's -the- figure that was going to be the backbone of my Cobra forces. And coupled with the rising prices...

I understand that increased prices were inevitable, but the only reason that I picked up my first 25th Ann. figure was because it was such a great bargain. An extremely well-crafted and accurate G.I.Joe re-release for under five dollars? There was no way I could pass on that. Now, however, I'm paying close to seven dollars for a single figure, so to find that these new Vipers were plagued with problems [most of which I'm more than willing to overlook], well, it really kind of kills it for me.

I'm sticking with "No more Joes!" for now, but that'll probably change if they do fix the few flaws in the Viper.

[Oh, and it's my first time posting and yet I knew that eventually I'd get the knee-jerk reaction. I really don't need to be told to "calm down" or that I'm having a "fit". I wasn't. I think that I was being perfectly calm and rational in stating my -opinions- regarding the problems with the new Viper. My choice to stop collecting the line doesn't say anything negative about anyone who still does. Except, that, y'know, toys are for children and you're all lame. Lamer than Crystal Ball! Yeah, that's right.]

Just found all of Wave 7 myself and I have to say, the Viper isn't nearly as bad as you guys make him out to be. It he perfect? No. But he's not THAT bad. Nothing to stop collecting the line over. I have no problems getting mine to stand and the hands are not as bad as they initially seem to be. No, the goggles don't stay on well but as long as you aren't slinging him around the room, they stay on just fine. I understand the complaints, and they ARE justified, but I don't think these are as bad as everyone is making them sound.

I think the problem stems from the fact that so many figures in the line are superb, that when one falls short, it is a huge let down and that disappointment blows the flaws WAY out of proportion.

Thank you! I was getting worried as I probably won't see these guys until the end of the month.

Maybe it's a reverse-pychology ploy to get the rest of us disinterested, all the while they're running around in the shadows building massive Viper armies at will!

I truly think all the figures are quite well done - I haven't come across any that disappoint in the least. Sure, I'd love a little more poseability, but aside from that, I am loving these guys! But then, as already mentioned, it is a nostalgia thing, too. I couldn't get all the ones I wanted when I was young, so now it's 25 years later, I am NOT missing out again! Sure beats buying and maintaining an exotic sports car or boat or something!

Yeah the Viper insn't that bad, really. They stand just fine on the stand so I don't see what the problem is there. And the wrist do hold the weapon in a nice posing stance

My only complaint is the googles those should have not been removable. A removal helmet would have been nicer.

So too most of you just wait until you actually get the figure in your hands, it will give you second thoughts on the Viper and eventually it will start to grow on you.

But now that the prices of all toys have increased (example: Wal-Mart now $6.84) we now think eveything should be perfect because were paying more right. Wrong because, all toys have increased in price not just GI Joe. Who's to blame, the high oil prices.

Think about it, as oil prices increase it now cost more money on plastic and transportation cost, so to make the money back retailers increase prices.

[Oh, and it's my first time posting and yet I knew that eventually I'd get the knee-jerk reaction. I really don't need to be told to "calm down" or that I'm having a "fit". I wasn't. I think that I was being perfectly calm and rational in stating my -opinions- regarding the problems with the new Viper. My choice to stop collecting the line doesn't say anything negative about anyone who still does. Except, that, y'know, toys are for children and you're all lame. Lamer than Crystal Ball! Yeah, that's right.]

My reaction (which you are clearly referencing) wasn't 'knee-jerk any more than yours was. The phrases you quote are just that- phrases. They weren't even directed specifically at you... not unless you are 'people' and 'guys'.

I realized you were stating an opinion. I didn't contest it. I gave my opinion that many in this thread seemed to be unduly disappointed, and expressed that I didn't understand how one figure would make one stop collecting the line- a decision even you say is 'childish'.

I certainly don't think you not collecting the line means you're saying anything bad about those who do, and I'm not trying to say your opinion is 'wrong' or your decision is 'bad'... I just don't understand it, and believe things will improve. :)

Well, I'm only going to get about six of these, so whatever. Too bad they're using the body for the Televiper though.

Why not? Both look great IMO.