BotCon 2008 - Universe Classics 2.0 Toy Display Discussion

Mike

So, since they didn't want to go back to Classics post movie, they gave the nod to Dirge, Thrust and Thundercracker for the club, but when they realized they WERE going back to Classics, it was too late to use those three as they went to the club?

Your comments make sense. I just think it was way poor planning on the part of Hasbro to reuse the Starscream mold here, KNOWING people are, shall we say upset, about not getting Dirge, Thurst and Thundercracker. Why not the other somewhat obvious G1 repaint choices? Why THAT mold? They coulda done Mirage as Dragstrip. Bumblebee as Hubcap or Goldbug. Hell, maybe even Grimlock as Trypticon.

It was poor planning on their part. They didn't wait to see how the Classics line did, and they didn't wait to see how they movie did before greenlighting these. Usually they wait a year or more before they let botcon use a mold in case they want to repaint it or use again, but not this time. They let these go ahead before Classics was even on the shelf. They should have waited and had Classics done mediocre like they expected, and it was clear they were not going back to it then they should have allowed those to be made...say like this Botcon, or Next Years 25th Anvi. Botcon. Instead they were so sure they knew what was going to happen that they didn't even give the mold the common curtsies that far lesser molds have got in the past.

In the end all they got was a bunch of angry fans. Fans angry at them for allowing it. Fans angry at those fans for being so mad at them, and then those fans being mad at those fans for seeming to be uncaring about their fellow collector. It did nothing to unite, only divide, and I hope they learned from this and don't let it happen again. Like letting Smokescreen, or Red Alert, or Ratchet be part of 2009 boxset. Although I think the current Hasbro team's apathy towards this will allow it to happen again. If you had told me 5 years ago that I felt that Mattel was going to take better care of me as MOTU fan, then Hasbro would as a Transfromer fan then I would have laughed in your face. But that's exactly how I feel after last years Botcon and this years NYCC. And Acid Storm is kinda salt in the wound. If they won't give us a Thundercracker, Dirge, or Thrust. (and I say Won't not Can't becauee they can give us those figures. Either as new decos different from the Botcon figure, or as a New seeker mold, but they won't do that.) then I kinda feel they should just retire the mold. Because everytime bitter fans see another nobody Seeker at retail it's just going to make them more upset about the Botcon figure.

Now all that being said...I do not blame the MC...or FP....whatever they are calling themselves, for doing those figures. They knew they would be big sellers and they were. I also don't blame Hasbro as whole. Cause as a Joe Collector also I've never seen anything like that happen with Joes even though they are handled by the same company. I put this blame solely on the Transfromer teams shoulders.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing i'm concerned about is that Ratchet and Smokescreen will be Botcon 2009 exclusives

Thats if you take the current molds and repaint for Botcon

Hasbro said today that Ratchet is likely to happen for TFU.

Also, I don't think I mentioned it here, but on another forum I said I hoped they make an improved Armada Hot Shot since they are not only doing G1 and theres the deluxe TFU BW Cheetor that is coming. And today Hasbro reveiled that they are, in fact making a new Hot Shot for TFU. I am very happy about that, the original sucks.

The one thing i'm concerned about is that Ratchet and Smokescreen will be Botcon 2009 exclusives

Thats if you take the current molds and repaint for Botcon

Hasbro said today that Ratchet is likely to happen for TFU.

Also, I don't think I mentioned it here, but on another forum I said I hoped they make an improved Armada Hot Shot since they are not only doing G1 and theres the deluxe TFU BW Cheetor that is coming. And today Hasbro reveiled that they are, in fact making a new Hot Shot for TFU. I am very happy about that, the original sucks.

Yeah that mold was mediocre and almost "Playschool" like at best. But it seems odd they would do a new mold (or retool) such a mediocre figure at all, especially for a repaint line. Sure, the Classics figures are all new molds, but I think they had those designed beforehand and since they weren't willing to do both a "Classics" line AND a "Universe" line again (in addition to the "toon" line), they just merged the two.

So, since they didn't want to go back to Classics post movie, they gave the nod to Dirge, Thrust and Thundercracker for the club, but when they realized they WERE going back to Classics, it was too late to use those three as they went to the club?

Your comments make sense. I just think it was way poor planning on the part of Hasbro to reuse the Starscream mold here, KNOWING people are, shall we say upset, about not getting Dirge, Thurst and Thundercracker. Why not the other somewhat obvious G1 repaint choices? Why THAT mold? They coulda done Mirage as Dragstrip. Bumblebee as Hubcap or Goldbug. Hell, maybe even Grimlock as Trypticon.

It was poor planning on their part. They didn't wait to see how the Classics line did, and they didn't wait to see how they movie did before greenlighting these. Usually they wait a year or more before they let botcon use a mold in case they want to repaint it or use again, but not this time. They let these go ahead before Classics was even on the shelf. They should have waited and had Classics done mediocre like they expected, and it was clear they were not going back to it then they should have allowed those to be made...say like this Botcon, or Next Years 25th Anvi. Botcon. Instead they were so sure they knew what was going to happen that they didn't even give the mold the common curtsies that far lesser molds have got in the past.

In the end all they got was a bunch of angry fans. Fans angry at them for allowing it. Fans angry at those fans for being so mad at them, and then those fans being mad at those fans for seeming to be uncaring about their fellow collector. It did nothing to unite, only divide, and I hope they learned from this and don't let it happen again. Like letting Smokescreen, or Red Alert, or Ratchet be part of 2009 boxset. Although I think the current Hasbro team's apathy towards this will allow it to happen again. If you had told me 5 years ago that I felt that Mattel was going to take better care of me as MOTU fan, then Hasbro would as a Transfromer fan then I would have laughed in your face. But that's exactly how I feel after last years Botcon and this years NYCC. And Acid Storm is kinda salt in the wound. If they won't give us a Thundercracker, Dirge, or Thrust. (and I say Won't not Can't becauee they can give us those figures. Either as new decos different from the Botcon figure, or as a New seeker mold, but they won't do that.) then I kinda feel they should just retire the mold. Because everytime bitter fans see another nobody Seeker at retail it's just going to make them more upset about the Botcon figure.

Now all that being said...I do not blame the MC...or FP....whatever they are calling themselves, for doing those figures. They knew they would be big sellers and they were. I also don't blame Hasbro as whole. Cause as a Joe Collector also I've never seen anything like that happen with Joes even though they are handled by the same company. I put this blame solely on the Transfromer teams shoulders.

I agree. While the future of Classics beyond that of a filler line was uncertain, it wouldn't have hurt Hasbro to have been a bit smarter about it. They never at any point said that the door on Classics would be closed, and as long as that was the case, they shouldn't have messed with what would have been sure fire winners.

I think we all knew the chances of coming back to Classics eventually were pretty good, especially after seeing that sales for them were very good.

I just think the best policy for the botcon sets is how they're doing it now. They're perfect! They are pretty nice selections and redecos and they don't really tread too much on any established lines which could ruffle a lot more feathers like the seekers did. They are pretty much self contained continuities and that works. They are also great to get if you can afford them, yet, nothing most would miss terribly if they couldn't.

Notice they sold quite well and didn't incite anything remotely close to the same kind of board wars that the 2007 set did.

Of course, selling the animated figures in the convention area only is probably going to start some firestorms. That's pouring salt in the wounds of lots of people right now I'm sure.

Yeah that mold was mediocre and almost "Playschool" like at best. But it seems odd they would do a new mold (or retool) such a mediocre figure at all, especially for a repaint line. Sure, the Classics figures are all new molds, but I think they had those designed beforehand and since they weren't willing to do both a "Classics" line AND a "Universe" line again (in addition to the "toon" line), they just merged the two.

Actually, Hasbro has said repeatedly that the first and foremost reason for Universe to exist is to keep the realistic style of vehicle modes seen in the movie line on the market. Retailers basically wanted more "realistic" product and the "Classics" concept of remade G1 largely fit into that. They simply called the line "Universe" so as not to limit their options on molds and characters. If they wanted to, they could release a store exclusive repaint of several beast figures and they would thematically fit under "Universe".

And starting around Christmas, Hasbro said Universe is going to end up the "25th Anniversary" line until the second movie merchandise hits. For all the fan reactions to the series and character, Hot Shot DOES represent a solid four years of the franchise, and Armada was long hailed as one of the biggest success of Transformers until the movie hit. He has just as much a place in such an Anniversary line as Hound or Cyclonus or Cheetor.

I also think the fact that so many people made a big deal of there being repaints in the classics line led Hasbro to just place it all under the Universe banner so that people would understand better that the line would also include repaints.

Personally I have no problems with repaints so long as they make sense to do them or that they're at least interesting.

Some of the repaints from the original universe run were just absolutely horrible. I think they've learned a lot since then.

Actually, Hasbro has said repeatedly that the first and foremost reason for Universe to exist is to keep the realistic style of vehicle modes seen in the movie line on the market. Retailers basically wanted more "realistic" product and the "Classics" concept of remade G1 largely fit into that. They simply called the line "Universe" so as not to limit their options on molds and characters. If they wanted to, they could release a store exclusive repaint of several beast figures and they would thematically fit under "Universe".

And starting around Christmas, Hasbro said Universe is going to end up the "25th Anniversary" line until the second movie merchandise hits. For all the fan reactions to the series and character, Hot Shot DOES represent a solid four years of the franchise, and Armada was long hailed as one of the biggest success of Transformers until the movie hit. He has just as much a place in such an Anniversary line as Hound or Cyclonus or Cheetor.

I was nevere a Hot Shot fan

Too me he was a wanna be Cheetor and he was as annoying as those anime kids were

Yeah that mold was mediocre and almost "Playschool" like at best. But it seems odd they would do a new mold (or retool) such a mediocre figure at all, especially for a repaint line.

It's not odd at all. He was a popular character with kids, its a pretty obvious choice for a "do-over."

oh well, at least they have voices...

I read on one of the panel things, Animated Swoop, and Snarl won't even talk at all due to lack of voice actors lol

I am not seeing pictures of half the stuff you guys are talking about am I looking at the wrong link?! http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&...343&start=0 or is the stuff just not shown?.. or hasbro not letting it be shown ?.. :S

I don't think there's any new pics of anything, or if they even had a slide show presentation showing any early prototypes or anything at the show. They just gave a rundown on stuff they have in the pipeline for what's coming after all the good stuff they did show comes out.

I just want to know what's up with pricing the 25th anniversary Prime reissue at $69.99.

I mean which 25th is that one celebrating? The anniversary, or the number times that he's been reissued? (including Japan)

I shudder to think what the cost of Soundwave and Ultra Magnus might be if they reissued those again.

I guess we asked for it though. We wanted Hasbro to pay more attention to the collectors, and well, it appears they have. All too well.

hey thanks! Rather KnB when transformed though... very decent robot mode! Wow that silverbolt does look great I'm once again reminded at how pissed I am at hasbro for not making him and onslaught combiners! GRR!! :D

I guess since Classics 2.0 will have Acidstorm, then the Heineke Takara seeker will be Sunstorm or Starscream's ghost.

I sure hope they are able to release Thrust and Thundercracker with different paint apppkications than the Botcon exclusives. Thrust could be red with charcaol grey trim as opposed to the Botcon version, and TC can be a different blue with grey trim like in the cartoon. That way, the botcons are still exclusives and everyone is happy. Hasbro should make a toon accurate Dirge with remolded wings and release him as a seeker.

How weird. When I was talking about Hot Shot, I wasn't talking about the CHARACTER.

I was talking about the MOLD.

Even more reason to make a new one, right? The only hot shot mold I like is the cybertron version; hopefully this new one's even better.

And now that we're moving beyond g1 in this line, how 'bout more updated bw characters? We are getting a cheetor, so maybe we'll get inferno, rhinox, etc.

Inferno g1 or inferno bw? :D Frankly I'd love either and the other bw you said as well :) I'd be interested in seeing how they could improve the old bw versions or even out right all new toys... pretty dang happy with bw inferno as is though really...

Inferno g1 or inferno bw? :D Frankly I'd love either and the other bw you said as well :) I'd be interested in seeing how they could improve the old bw versions or even out right all new toys... pretty dang happy with bw inferno as is though really...

Yea, it's already a pretty good toy, but they can do better; I want one that comes w/ the guns he had on the show, and the "propeller butt". :P