FlyingFigg's guide to fixing your 25th Joe arms

FlyingFigg

Hello everyone!

The following is a guide (albiet twisted) for the average joe collector whose looking for a liitle more articulation out of their figures, but is afraid to give it a try out of fear of screwing them up.

Let me know what you think and I may put up more.

sp01.jpg

sp02.jpg

03.jpg

Place the figures arms in the boiling water for 10 - 20 seconds

16.jpg

Give the forearm a pull, you don't need to apply very much pressure

17.jpg

18.jpg

Repeat on the other arm.

19.jpg

Shave a little of the plastic off of the arm where the elbow forms. You really don't need to take off much. Make sure you do not cut the peg hole that the peg from the forearm will go back into. A utility knife will work, but an x-acto is easier to work with.

20.jpg

Repeat boiling process to reassemble the arms. Allow to cool.

21.jpg

You're figure should now be able to manage a proper two hand grip.

22a.jpg

23.jpg

Repeat as necessary.

24.jpg

This is only for the arms. To fix the 'diaper crotch' is a little different.

Can I get a Mod to fix my spelling in the topic title? How embarassing..... @grumpy@

MOD EDIT: FIXED :P

LOL!! Umm.. Thanks?

MOD EDIT: No problem, I'm here Mondays through Sundays... :(

Nice guide.

Thank you!

Love the humor...made it fun to read. :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

I do realize that the photos are not the greatest of quality. It was originally intended as a quick process, but the snowflake turned into a blizzard, and this is what we got.

The original title included "and half-(expletive) dio story", which was understandably removed but, did best descirbe the quaility.

What happend was, I had the idea in my head, took some photos, then put to paper what I wanted to say, then took more photos to make it all fit. Which isn't the best way to go about doing something like this.

My photography experience is pretty much what you see on this board. and I'm not sure about the quality of my wife's camera either.

Going forward; if you guys want to see some more of these, I'll plan them out ahead of time, use better lighting, more close up shots, and maybe invest in a new camera. I may even go so far as to build sets.

I've always wanted to do proper Dio stories, but I would want them to be pretty detailed, something along the lines of Violentfix's work (which is fantastic IMO). I thought this would be a good way to get my feet wet.

I may also revisit this first one and get some better photos in.

Quick question: What would you guys like to see next; fixing the 'diaper crotch', or turning the 'viper glider pilot' into the 1st cobra 5 pack trooper?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

FlyingFigg

Actually, could you go into a little more detail about the scraping the plastic away from the elbow part? I get the gist, but I figure if I'm going to screw up, that's where it's going to be. (I'll end up with someone who can put on their own straitjacket!) Also, do you do the shoulder as well?

As far as the future, yes, the crotch / waist area could use some work.Just looking at the poor fellow 'sit' in the Target HISS make MY cajones hurt! Also, I like to pose my Dreadnoks riding OCC choppers, and they really could use the extra flexibility to look right sitting on them. (Right now, all I can really do is have them 'parked'.)

Actually, could you go into a little more detail about the scraping the plastic away from the elbow part? Sure, I'll get to work on that this weekend. I get the gist, but I figure if I'm going to screw up, that's where it's going to be. (I'll end up with someone who can put on their own straitjacket!) Also, do you do the shoulder as well? No, or I don't anyway.

As far as the future, yes, the crotch / waist area could use some work.Just looking at the poor fellow 'sit' in the Target HISS make MY cajones hurt! Also, I like to pose my Dreadnoks riding OCC choppers, and they really could use the extra flexibility to look right sitting on them. (Right now, all I can really do is have them 'parked'.)

thanks for the tip, will try it on the 4 scarfaces i have! These guys are great for kitbashing parts!

Well, I seem to have enough positive feedback for my taste. Stay tuned for more!

Also; to everyone else who left comments: Thank you. I wasn't sure if anyone would like this approach.

My photography experience is pretty much what you see on this board. and I'm not sure about the quality of my wife's camera either.

The camera should be fine for what you're doing here...you just need to get it focused on the foreground instead of the background.

09.jpg

See how it's focused on the bracket and Cobra symbol on the wall instead of the figures in the foreground?

The camera should be fine for what you're doing here...you just need to get it focused on the foreground instead of the background.

See how it's focused on the bracket and Cobra symbol on the wall instead of the figures in the foreground?

Hmm. I'll have to play around with the settings on the camera. Thanks Joe.

Nice tutorial FF!

That was GREAT! BRAVO! I can't wait for your next, "how to" guide. If it were not for these tutorials customizers would not be able to do what they do and big companies would not make figure articulation get to where it has gotten...Did that make sense? My wife is going to hate you when she see's the monster you just unleashed. Thanks to you and jissaotomesdangeroustoys.com for sharing such great ideas on the customizing of figures. Please keep it up!