DC Universe Classics - long shot figures

Superpowers1980

... it seemed very forced making him gay which is all the rage now Batwoman/Electro....

WTF??? Electro's gay??? Marvel's E-Boy??? GET OUTT!!!! NO EFFING WAY!!! Since when? I call BS on this!

No, he's bi. Link- click the picture to see it at a more readable size.

Frankly, I think it was meant to be a funny throwaway gag rather than an 'outing'. And it was in Marvel Knights Spider-Man, which I question as far as canon goes.

Either way its not my thing and it ruins the character for me, Electro was a favorite but now I just don't know.

He's also boinking a chubby Russian (I think) shapeshifter. Did anything about that ruin him for you?

Honestly now, regardless of how canon it is, that means so little to who the character is- barring writers who like to make that sort of thing the focal point of a character, which I'll grant can be pretty annoying. It also changes nothing about any story you've ever liked with that character in it. With thousands of villains and heroes running around with millions of quirks... this is one that you choose to be bothered by?

Sorry, but I'm just not seeing where this is shaking your world.

l concur with magic8ball. comicbooks are gettin better and are now slowly accepting minorities other than ppl with same sex prefernces and african americans as superheroes.

Back then and maybe even recently, most of the villians were minorities who's enemy was a caucassian superhero back in the 50s'-70s'. If anyone doesn't believe that is a stereotype, you are most likely ignorant. For instance, black manta was an african american villian and his original goal was to take over atlantis so that he can make it into all black utopia. Even the mandarian, who is half asian, wanted to take over the world.

nowdays, minority characters like mr. terrific are positive in which they defy the negative stereotype of race that was present in comics decades ago. I would rather have a gay character like Northstar (sorry, I can't think of any gay dc superheroes other than jerico) than having an over the top homosexual villian who hates straight ppl and wants to make the new world nothin but gay ppl.

Nowdays, things are gettin a bit better, though I wish the comic industry stop following hollywood. I mean, in terms of "quirk" or what's "hot," a recent one has been the introduction of asian female characters, who are usually the love interest of caucassian superheroes. This is a popular, yet stereotypical device used in hollywood and I hope it stops in that it doesn't limit in having the caucassian hero the only one who is dating the asian heroine, but rather an african american, hispanic american, or an asian american male hero.

However, I think there will be change where more asian american male positive superheroes will be accepted. The Atom is a cool start and I am quite happy he doesn't follow the asexual stereotype that asian men are depicted in hollywood. I mean, isn't Giganta into him. Hopefully, more minorities like the current Atom is made by DC.

I think the other differences between scientalogy is how the religion denounces things certain pratices in medicine and that the notion that it was made because of a bet. Sure, we don't know if the other religions are made like that, but another reason ppl hate it is because of Southpark. The thing is that Southpark made fun of all religions, including Catholism (which is my belief) but once it makes fun of scientalogy, all hell breaks loose to the point that one of the scientalogy cast members quit, which a lot of ppl found to be hypocritical in why Isacc Hayes left.

as a black male, i have to agree. race plays a big part in how people think, or even act. this is off the subject but, i was comming home from the store this morning and a cop pulled me over. he had the nerve to ask me if i stole my indy figs, check the reciept, and then call walmart. on top of this, he said that i was a drug dealer because i wouldnt be able to afford my car(H2) at my age(29) AND then he locked my keys in my car. i had to wait for my girlfriend to come with my extra keys. this kind of stuff, believe it or not, spills out in everything! even comics.

(sorry, I can't think of any gay dc superheroes other than jerico)

Unless something has changed since his return, Jericho isn't gay.

(read the 'Why he's here' section right above his power description)

I agreed with most of what you said, but I wanted to clarify that one before yet another tangent began. :)

as a black male, i have to agree. race plays a big part in how people think, or even act. this is off the subject but, i was comming home from the store this morning and a cop pulled me over. he had the nerve to ask me if i stole my indy figs,

What?

check the reciept,

What?!

and then call walmart.

WHAT?!

on top of this, he said that i was a drug dealer because i wouldnt be able to afford my car(H2) at my age(29) AND then he locked my keys in my car. i had to wait for my girlfriend to come with my extra keys. this kind of stuff, believe it or not, spills out in everything! even comics.

... Sometimes I am honestly ashamed to be white.

I do hope you have some form of recourse (harassment?), because that is simply ridiculous. No one should have to deal with that.

See, THIS is why we need exposure to people that are not white, male, Christian, straight, etc (insert further majority groups here)- not just in comic books, but in every part of life. Kids need to grow up knowing that there are people out there different than they are, and that they deserve just as much respect and human dignity as the kids themselves. Kids who ARE the minorities need to know that it's okay to be who they are, and that they are capable of the same things everyone else is. Kids who grow up with these ideas ingrained in them will hopefully keep them as they enter adulthood. Many adults could use the lesson as well.

I don't think it's enough to 'tolerate' or 'accept' people anymore. Those are buzzwords that allow you to still dislike what a person is, as long as you don't treat them like you do. People need to 'respect' and 'understand' each other. Yes, those are still buzzwords, but they are completely different in what they accomplish. The world is too small and people too diverse for us to ignore or chastise differences.

Back then and maybe even recently, most of the villians were minorities who's enemy was a caucassian superhero back in the 50s'-70s'. If anyone doesn't believe that is a stereotype, you are most likely ignorant. For instance, black manta was an african american villian and his original goal was to take over atlantis so that he can make it into all black utopia.

Actually, not quite true. For years Black Manta was just a guy in a wet suit and funny helmet who fought Aquaman. It wasn't until years later that he finally took off his helmet and said "No, I mean exactly what I said: 'my people'. Or have you never wondered why I'm called Black Manta--?" You can see the panel the quote came from on Manta's wikipedia entry. The taking over Atlantis for "his people" was tacked on then as well. This revelation came out during the 70's when every black character had to have "black" in his name (Black Lightning, Black Goliath, Black Panther, etc). I'm really glad they finally got past that. Imagine if they did that for everyone. White Superman would team up with White Batman to go help Green Martian Manhunter to rescue White Female Wonder Woman.

I agreed with most of what you said, but I wanted to clarify that one before yet another tangent began. :)

as a black male, i have to agree. race plays a big part in how people think, or even act. this is off the subject but, i was comming home from the store this morning and a cop pulled me over. he had the nerve to ask me if i stole my indy figs,

What?

check the reciept,

What?!

and then call walmart.

WHAT?!

on top of this, he said that i was a drug dealer because i wouldnt be able to afford my car(H2) at my age(29) AND then he locked my keys in my car. i had to wait for my girlfriend to come with my extra keys. this kind of stuff, believe it or not, spills out in everything! even comics.

See, this is something that bothers me. Nobody should feel ashamed of who or what they are, even occasionally. I am also a white guy, and I'm constantly told by society, the media, etc, that I should be ashamed or feel guilty to be either white or a guy. The cop was obviously WAY out of line, and shouldn't be wearing the uniform. But Magic 8 Ball should not feel to blame, even momentarily, for this bigotted moron's contemptable actions.

Pooda, I am truly sorry for what happened to you. From your other posts, I know you live in the Milwaukee area (as do I), and you seem like a nice guy. It really saddens me that we still have idiots like this roaming our streets, especially in what should be positions of authority and respect. Police and other people in public service should be (and most are) good examples to the rest of us. I'm sorry this one fell so far short of that.

What?

check the reciept,

What?!

and then call walmart.

WHAT?!

its cool...i think that im used to it. having to deal with people be ignorant is something everyone has to deal with. i live close to miller park way(those that dont live in milwaukee, 43rd greenfield) and i get looked at and followed by the greenfield police. but the point is, u never know what people think when theyre alone, people have all kinds of stuff running through there head. if sterotypes wernt in comics, then why is the "tough black dude" in most cases, a big, bald, foul mouth, sun glasses wearing brawn over brains type?

See, this is something that bothers me. Nobody should feel ashamed of who or what they are, even occasionally. I am also a white guy, and I'm constantly told by society, the media, etc, that I should be ashamed or feel guilty to be either white or a guy. The cop was obviously WAY out of line, and shouldn't be wearing the uniform. But Magic 8 Ball should not feel to blame, even momentarily, for this bigotted moron's contemptable actions.

Pooda, I am truly sorry for what happened to you. From your other posts, I know you live in the Milwaukee area (as do I), and you seem like a nice guy. It really saddens me that we still have idiots like this roaming our streets, especially in what should be positions of authority and respect. Police and other people in public service should be (and most are) good examples to the rest of us. I'm sorry this one fell so far short of that.

I'll grant that 'ashamed' is a bit strong. We are all responsible for our own actions. Pooda doesn't seem to think that the cop bothered him because the cop is white, but because the cop is bigot. Actually, Pooda didn't give the cop's race at all.

But... It does bother me. This is the sort of guy who perpetuates the impression that all white men are racist. As a white man myself, that does mean something to me. Everyone categorizes; that's just how human minds work (we'll leave the reasons why out of this for the moment). Even though Pooda might not have applied such a general standard, there are probably many people out there that this man interacts with that think this is how white men are. Others might form the opinion that this is how all cops are. Still others might believe this is how all people from Wisconsin are. It's not really right, but it's basic sociology.

So yes, there is a bit of anger and sadness when I hear that someone of my race and gender is out there spreading hate, because it affects how people will see my race and gender. Again, 'ashamed' was a bit strong, but I don't feel it was entirely out of place.

I'll grant that 'ashamed' is a bit strong. We are all responsible for our own actions. Pooda doesn't seem to think that the cop bothered him because the cop is white, but because the cop is bigot. Actually, Pooda didn't give the cop's race at all.

But... It does bother me. This is the sort of guy who perpetuates the impression that all white men are racist. As a white man myself, that does mean something to me. Everyone categorizes; that's just how human minds work (we'll leave the reasons why out of this for the moment). Even though Pooda might not have applied such a general standard, there are probably many people out there that this man interacts with that think this is how white men are. Others might form the opinion that this is how all cops are. Still others might believe this is how all people from Wisconsin are. It's not really right, but it's basic sociology.

So yes, there is a bit of anger and sadness when I hear that someone of my race and gender is out there spreading hate, because it affects how people will see my race and gender. Again, 'ashamed' was a bit strong, but I don't feel it was entirely out of place.

i dont think that all white people are racist, and i do have friends that pretty much fall into that. i feel the same way about the way they think as about any other person that thinks that way. the cop was white, but that doesnt make me think in the same fashion as he does. infact...unless i know u, then i wont judge u. entertainment plays a big part in how races are displayed in my opinion, i cant speak for other races, but im tired of the undertones of sterotypes showing up in comics. always a big, bald, loud mouth, tough a$$, and thats what people see when they turn on the tv, thats the only side they seem to be worried about. hey...guys...im cool on that police jack a$$!, im used to this stuff. i know i shouldnt be, but i am. he cant do anything to me if i havent done any wrong!

.... but im tired of the undertones of sterotypes showing up in comics. always a big, bald, loud mouth, tough a$$, and thats what people see when they turn on the tv, thats the only side they seem to be worried about. hey...guys...im cool on that police jack a$$!, im used to this stuff. i know i shouldnt be, but i am. he cant do anything to me if i havent done any wrong!

I also tired of those in comics. Other than the stereotypical traits asian female characters have in comics (the dragon lady or seductive type who normally falls for the caucassian hero as opposed to any other race) and how asian males are protrayed as asexual, foreign, fu man chu-lish, arrogant, and evil(the majority of popular asian male characters in marvel and maybe DC are bad guys,) I am bothered how african americans are depicted in comics. I mean other than black panther, (which is more of a political or a descriptive statement than a racial one,) I am tired of the "black" before the character's name. I mean, it is implyin that there is a normal lightning and a black lighnting. Marvel appears to stop labeling their minority characters with a color (they retcon yellow claw to golden claw and they changed black golilith's name.) However, DC still kept it.

Also, does anyone find it weird that Silver Samurai is the only villian, if not, the only marvel mutant who bears his country's flag on his costume? I mean, normally, characters with flags on their chest to represent their country. I am sure no one would dare put a US or Canadian flag on a villian.

I want to see an african american character who isn't agreesive or loud. I am happy Steel doesn't follow those traits.

I am not sure if I am overreacting or not, but I thought the relationship between john stwart and hawkgirl in the cartoons were a bit stereotypical since john stwart was so agreesive and dominant towards hawkgirl when they were dating.

.... but im tired of the undertones of sterotypes showing up in comics. always a big, bald, loud mouth, tough a$$, and thats what people see when they turn on the tv, thats the only side they seem to be worried about. hey...guys...im cool on that police jack a$$!, im used to this stuff. i know i shouldnt be, but i am. he cant do anything to me if i havent done any wrong!

I also tired of those in comics. Other than the stereotypical traits asian female characters have in comics (the dragon lady or seductive type who normally falls for the caucassian hero as opposed to any other race) and how asian males are protrayed as asexual, foreign, fu man chu-lish, arrogant, and evil(the majority of popular asian male characters in marvel and maybe DC are bad guys,) I am bothered how african americans are depicted in comics. I mean other than black panther, (which is more of a political or a descriptive statement than a racial one,) I am tired of the "black" before the character's name. I mean, it is implyin that there is a normal lightning and a black lighnting. Marvel appears to stop labeling their minority characters with a color (they retcon yellow claw to golden claw and they changed black golilith's name.) However, DC still kept it.

Also, does anyone find it weird that Silver Samurai is the only villian, if not, the only marvel mutant who bears his country's flag on his costume? I mean, normally, characters with flags on their chest to represent their country. I am sure no one would dare put a US or Canadian flag on a villian.

I want to see an african american character who isn't agreesive or loud. I am happy Steel doesn't follow those traits.

I am not sure if I am overreacting or not, but I thought the relationship between john stwart and hawkgirl in the cartoons were a bit stereotypical since john stwart was so agreesive and dominant towards hawkgirl when they were dating.

agreed! you for got sunfire....thats a japanese flag on his face. (LOL) fu man chu!(LOL) ming, and any other sterotype in comics!

I beg to differ. They are out there. They just don't get equal attention.

It's also worth noting that many of the Communist and Nazi villains of the 60s and 70s could also be said to be 'wearing their flags' when they bear the hammer & sickle or swastika. Granted, that's an 'us vs. them' mentality at work, with those symbols automatically and often only standing for evil regardless of who wore them and why (and I don't really argue with that where the swastika is concerned), but the point remains.

They established early on in the series that John had military experience, and a commanding attitude. In the first season especially, he was the de facto tactician. When he laid out a plan, Batman didn't argue, which says a lot for his abilities in that regard.

I always felt that the gruffness in his relationship with Hawkgirl was due to him not being able to shed all the 'military attitude' around her, especially since she was often portrayed as being a more aggressive and impulsive sort- John defaulted to 'drill sergeant mode', even when he didn't really mean to, to counter her gung-ho nature.

Then there's the gender dynamic to consider. John was obviously attracted to the aggression of Hawkgirl, but at the same time that aggression meant it was harder for him to be 'the man' in the relationship. He seemed to spend most of his time alternating between being impressed with Hawkgirl's bravado, and chiding her for having too much of it. You'll notice that when he dated Vixen, they seemed to have a 'softer' attitude toward each other. She had a more 'natural' or defensive spirit rather than an aggressive one, letting the fight come to her (rather than creating it), which allowed him to relax and let his gaurd down. Additionally, even though she was just as capable as Hawkgirl, she didn't mind John stepping in to defend her when it was necessary (Hawkgirl would seemingly rather die than admit needing support).

That's my take, anyway. I saw a gender dynamic and personality conflict, not a racial one.

It also occurs to me that I just graduated with a BA in English... and Sociology might have been more appropriate. That figures. @hmmm@