25th Anniv GI Joe Club Custom Contest voting misconception

Jin Saotome

After talking with people and reading posts here and at other forums there's an obvious air of 'unrest' about how the whole GI Joe Club 25th Anniv Custom Contest went down. Some people agree it could of been set up better, others put the blame on the staff choices, but the real fact is the majority of people here (including me) totally missed the point of the contest.

When voting started I asked GI Joe Club staff member Commander why the picture of the light-up feature of my SWARM wasn't used. As Commander explained it me, we were only suppose to be voting for our favorite "Custom figure design" and nothing else. His explanation clicked in my head and explains why certain customs were chosen for the top 25 while others customs fans thought that would be an 'obvious choice' were not. The quality, time spent, materials, skill, or techniques used on the custom had no bearing, only the design.

I will admit had I of understood that from the start I wouldn't of spent time designing the light-up feature in my SWARM or bothered with spending much time on my entry. I now feel bad my Swarm was chosen solely for the figure design; not for my effort or time that went in to creating it because I also misunderstood and thought we were voting for the actual custom. This means my entry booted someone else's out of the top 25 who may of spent more time on their design that I had.

I think this general misconception caused the votes to go the way they did and I'm sure some worthwhile designs were overlooked for customs of a different level of skill or technique. If I had not entered a custom and been a member voting, I would of voted for the Snow Viper or Baroness due to the level of sculpting and technique. But if I had known I was only suppose to vote on the -design- of the figure, then I would of voted for the Steel Cobra or Red Laser because I consider those designs to be the coolest.

The instructions on the top 25 page here http://gijoeclub.com/custom_contest25.cfm were unfortunately very misleading. They said to "vote for your favorite 25th Anniversary custom figure" and that mislead everyone who read that and voted. I honestly believe that fatal communication flaw has caused the majority of our voting problems and the tensions that followed at the end of this contest. Hopefully in the future this kind of incident can be avoided and other great contests from the GI Joe Club can be held for customizers.

Like I said in another post, this was par for the course for the GIJCC. They'll learn from this, but as a result, this year was a cluster frak. I'd be kinda miffed too if I put all that work into these projects only to see it go away. I hope this does not discourage you or the other artists from participating in other future club activities.

Like I said in another post, this was par for the course for the GIJCC. They'll learn from this, but as a result, this year was a cluster frak. I'd be kinda miffed too if I put all that work into these projects only to see it go away. I hope this does not discourage you or the other artists from participating in other future club activities.

you know this wont be the first time. a lot of these compitishion are like what the @grumpy@ , the one i go to was the conn,gijoe con, the crazy thing about this is that the people participating in this race,can vote, which mean we can vote for are own stuff, which puts us in like 3 way ties, there's like no right or wrong way to do it,

i still don't get why newly registered trooper members were not considered a legit vote.

i mean, i have posted baroness everywhere, and maybe some of the people who saw her wanna vote for her, making them register as trooper level on that site.

i have nothing against that snake eyes vietnam era, but that custom had 30 votes in one day, making him overtake baroness and S.W.A.R.M. maybe that is where the suspicions began and maybe it affected the votes of baroness.

oh well.

the contest is finished and i cant do nothing.

i had fun and i wanna congratulate the top 3 who were chosen.

goodluck guys