More Movie Characters in Costume!

Straight Edge

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I'm liking the overall look. Especially Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow. I can see the logic behind all the Joes having the "Batman" suits. They look like something that a cutting edge tactical ops team would wear. I do miss the individual flair that the characters had back in the day, but I also undertsand why they didn't take that approach with the movie. Maybe if the movie is good enough to produce some sequels, we'll see the charcters start to incoporate their on style into their uniforms. Kind of like how all the Joes in 82 pretty much had identical outfits, but as time went on gained their own style. I'm not going to make any judgments on whether or not the movie will worth watching until we start seeing some trailers.

That's such a load of crap - just look at the Transformers movie. Obviously you can't generalize an entire industry like that.

And guess what? Spec ops units quite often DON'T have identifying marks like flags, etc on their uniforms for security purposes. For the life of my, I can't think of very many GI Joe figures that had flags on their uniforms either!

It may be a broad sweeping generalization, but I still defy anyone to name any movie from the last 10 years other than Blackhawk Down that has protrayed the post-Vietnam War US military in a positive light. In Transformers you had the one little unit that was helping the Autobots and other main characters, and the rest of the military was portrayed as self-serving and unwilling to listen to anyone but themselves.

And yes, I know full well that many special forces operators use "sanitized" uniforms with absolutely no tape or patches. That's why I implied that the camoflauge with "GI Joe" all over it was a little ridiculous.

I'm not saying dress everyone in red, white, and blue but at the same time I think there could have been more of a middle ground that still identitfied the team as US soldiers.

What it all comes down to is that I am really bothered by the fact that the "Real American Hero" aspect of GI Joe has become so easy to just throw away. Larry Hama was always able to incorporate the complex interaction between patriotism, following orders, and personal conscience in his characterizations in the comics. Now, because the Iraq war is unpopular, nobody wants to risk their profit margin by possibly being percieved as a jingoistic war hawk.

That's pretty specific criteria there, since obviously most war movies are going to be set during wars, and you're leaving out WWII and Vietnam, of which Saving Private Ryan and We Were Soldiers come to mind immediately. Kind of limiting to be set in the last 10 years too, but we are talking about the time of the second Iraq war here, so I'll give you that.

I wouldn't worry too much about the characters being identified as Americans, since they will obviously have a North American accent - and I doubt many people will assume this to be a Canadian movie (although as a Canadian it would be cool if there was one... In face if they gave Backstop a similar makeover that'd be pretty cool to me! ;) ), so rest assured, people will know these to be American soldiers.

I must have missed the camo/GI Joe thing, but I didn't look at all the pics (kind of busy - doing too many things at once!).

2. Hollywood clearly hates the United States of America and its armed forces. The military is always portrayed as a heartless, soulless, conscience-less group of meatheads who follow any order to kill babies and kick puppies without question. When that portrayal isn't onscreen, it's one of how poor helpless idealists are trapped in a vicious system that makes them do these things. You'll notice there isn't a single American flag, a single patch indicating that they are part of the US Army, and nothing even remotely resembling current military uniforms or gear. To include any of these things would imply that US soldiers can actually be heroes and good guys, and that's just bad for publicity.

If you want to see how an ultra top-secret covert special ops group should look onscreen, go pick up the first two seasons of "The Unit" on DVD.

Waitaminnit......I thought you just said that "Hollywood clearly hates the United States of America and its armed forces"????

If they got it right with the Unit......then they are not hatin' that much, are they?

It never occurs to people that if Hollywood truly "hated" the military, they not make so many movies that FEATURE the military......they'd just ignore the military all together.

Sorry, but I'm not impressed with this. Another showing that Hollywierd is taking too many liberties with titles. Matrix was a good movie, but dammit why did Brian Singer have to think that the X-men should look like that instead of who they are supposed to be. Same here.

Thankfully this gives me a reason not to pick up the figures!! Storm Shadow looks good but I would have preferred a v1 or something close. Where are the cobra insignias on baroness and storm shadow.

I have to admit that it took some time to get into sigma six but it eventually happened since it is still GI joe in another form. To me, sigma six was good (for the most) and is better than this crap. With this showing any timeline is flat out thrown out of the window. If this is what they have to offer I am scared to see the other characters in costume especially Destro. I bet we shoot right into iron grenadier Destro instead of v1 destro.

They should have had more of a original 13 look with the green and then I wouldn't have minded some suits but these make me cringe.

I could have swore that the director said they wouldnt change the costumes much. Well that was a frickin lie I knew from the start.

Dammit why do they have to make a movie like this!!

How can any of you call yourselves G.I. Joe fans and actually LIKE how Storm Shadow looks???

MOD EDIT: please keep personal attacks off the boards.

I was introduced to GI Joe through the cartoon, so I always knew them as having individual outfits as opposed to matching uniforms. I understand the point of the all black "sigma suits" but I'd like some variation in them. Spiderman pulled it off with color, and I'm sure Iron Man will pull it off as well, so I don't think that they should limit themselves to black. I'm not digging Scarlett's boots, or Snake Eyes' mouth and nose showing. Storm Shadow should have a mask on at least part of the time. Baroness needs to get rid of the brass coloring in her costume at least, and although her costume looks good, it is nothing out of the ordinary that someone off the street couldn't piece together. I don't want the costumes to look like Robin in "Batman and Robin", but a little flair wouldn't hurt. Maybe they will get the suits and decide to add a personal touch to them. I completely detest the camo pattern on Hawk and Cover Girl. I think I had a pair of Bugle Boys pants in similar colors when I was a kid. Hawk could definitely use a brown jacket and green camo pattern on his pants. Cover girl should have kept her DDP look. I'm just hoping that these costumes are only part time, and we get figures based on other outfits.

there is nothing GiJoe about this film anymore.

True Dat.......

Plus, the GI Joe in the camo pattern is AWFUL..... I know the Corp has USMC or something like that in theirs but its VERY small from what I understand........horrendous.

Maybe it was the white backgrounds......but they look really bad.

damn damn damn I missed them...if anyone saved them PM on over...

on a side note, judging from every body whining and moaning, they don't look much like the cartoon/comic look...but think about it...Does anyone remember Street Fighter the Movie, where everyone looked just like the video game? Do we want that?

Sigh....

I'm not going to jump up and down and start saying that this movie is going to be bad based only on looking at the costumes, because the black leather clearly worked for the first two X-Men movies. But at the same time, these costumes aren't doing anything to boost my overall perception of how this movie will turn out.

In one regard for realism, it makes sense that a covert ops military unit would be wearing all black. And despite the personal liberities that the GI Joe team has always taken (post original 13) in individual uniforms, it would also make sense that a military unit would want some uniformity in their uniforms (sorry for the pun).

But here are the sticking points:

1. Sure Scarlett's got her red hair and crossbow, and Snake Eyes has his visor and sword, but beyond that everything looks like it could be any generic, quasi-sci-fi military group. There's nothing that uniquely identifies the cast as "GI Joe" any more so than "Generic Military Movie". Except of course for the camoflauge with "GI Joe" woven throughout it....

2. Hollywood clearly hates the United States of America and its armed forces. The military is always portrayed as a heartless, soulless, conscience-less group of meatheads who follow any order to kill babies and kick puppies without question. When that portrayal isn't onscreen, it's one of how poor helpless idealists are trapped in a vicious system that makes them do these things. You'll notice there isn't a single American flag, a single patch indicating that they are part of the US Army, and nothing even remotely resembling current military uniforms or gear. To include any of these things would imply that US soldiers can actually be heroes and good guys, and that's just bad for publicity.

I know all the transformers fans ot there did nothing but bash the Transformers movie all the way up to its blockbuster release, but I still remain wary of the GI Joe movie until proven otherwise.

If you want to see how an ultra top-secret covert special ops group should look onscreen, go pick up the first two seasons of "The Unit" on DVD.

Buddy I totally agree #US1#

Alright........I've probably looked at these pictures 30 times already today.......and I must be losing my mind...

buuuuuttttt.........they are growing on me a little bit #WTF# ....At least the Joes.

I know....I know.....but if these suits are only used in the "final battle" or whatever it may not be that bad.

Storm Shadow and the Baroness are still pretty lame if you ask me......granted there is no Cobra yet..so that explains why she doesn't have the Cobra symbol on her chest but still.......also she's wearing sunglasses instead of her usual librarian glasses.

Where's the Cobra symbols???? I think I would like some patches or insignias as well. Sorry Marlon Waynes strkies fear in no ones hearts, @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ ( actually met him through my bro, he was kind of a serious snob). Heres to hope.

Wow. I'm not really happy with Storm Shadow at all. I realize they wouldn't have him wearing the mask 24/7 but I have a feeling we won't see him in one at all. And the Baroness with no glasses? I've been positive about this film until now. Why is it G4 can do a 5 minute G.I. Joe parody and have it look better?

Where's the Cobra symbols???? I think I would like some patches or insignias as well. Sorry Marlon Waynes strkies fear in no ones hearts, @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ ( actually met him through my bro, he was kind of a serious snob). Heres to hope.

You probably won't see any Cobra sigils until the end of the movie or the second movie.

on a side note, judging from every body whining and moaning, they don't look much like the cartoon/comic look...but think about it...Does anyone remember Street Fighter the Movie, where everyone looked just like the video game? Do we want that?

The characters in Street Fighter looked little if anything like the characters in the video game.

The characters in Street Fighter looked little if anything like the characters in the video game.

Chun Li's costume didnt look like in the video game and was a different color. Zangief wore booty shorts than wrestling trunks

Come in off your ledges, or soap boxes, people. I thought Bumblebee's design for TF looked really lame until I saw it in the context of the final film.

It's a no win situation trying to have realistic costume design based on bright colored uniforms from an animated series or comic book. I hated Tim Burton's bat suit until I saw the film for the first time.

It has been my experience that the most ardent and loyal purists for any brand can't help but go to see their favorite characters on the big screen, no matter how loudly they rail against the movies before they are released. They effectively have our money already and are trying to appeal to the general movie public.

Snake-Eyes look great except for the ugly-ass molded lips....WTF? He can't even speak. It's like the nipples on Batman...they're there for NO REASON.

Baroness and Storm Shadow look awesome. I dig the RELOADED Stormy look...but I hope he wears a white mask during the movie at one point. Where's the COBRA logo? I hope it eventually pops up in the movie!

I UNDERSTAND the idea behind the uniform costumes but come on... they could've done SOMETHING to make them unique to the character. Much like the X-Men movie and even Sigma Six...the costumes all were similar but the characters each had some unique colors to them. They could've left Snakes all black, and then given some riveting and/or piping some color on the other characters. Tan/gold on Duke, Green on Ripcord, Red on Scarlett, etc. Just like all the X-Men had their unique colors.

Tatum looks good as Duke, but he should've colored his hair...or maybe this is an early 'test shot'....everyone notice the Sigma Six scar he has on his cheek?

BTW - I think Marlon Wayans looks bad ass and tough, but he should be STALKER....not Ripcord.

Hawk should have his bomber jacket...he looks more like Flint

Cover Girl is hot, but I think they could've got someone who looked more like her....and maybe given her the traditional brown jacket.

GET RID OF THE LIPS ON SNAKE-EYES!!! @grumpy@

I'm curious to see if Destro and Cobra Commander will redeem the overall look.

The Sigma Six like suits don't really bother me. I doubt they will be wearing them the entire film anyway. Though you gotta wonder why they went with this design when there seems to be a rather steady stream of fan boys still complaining about the costume designs from the X-Men flicks. I also fully understand that ya can't really have people waliing around wearing the exact things they did in the cartoons/comics/toys. But putting something like say a mask on Storm Shadow would not have made the moviel ook unrealistic. In fact the Matrix/G.I. Joe Reloaded look he has is more unrealistic to me. The guy's an assassin. He looks like he just stepped off the fashion run way. With that said I think the design is OK. I just want a ninja damn it! Then there is little stuff like hawk's uniform. Why is he wearing a beret? Anybody that knows anything about G.I. Joe is going to either A: Confuse him with Flint or B: Leave the theater bitching about how they should have had Flint in the film instead if they were going to have a guy going around in a beret. Hawk really does look like Guile from the Street Fighter film.

I'm really not digging the Sigma type suits. Also don't care for the G.I. Joe Reloaded Storm Shadow type outfit. :(