More Movie Characters in Costume!

Straight Edge

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am annoyed by the black on black uniforms since they very much resemble the Batman Begins suit. The chicks are hot, but this doesn't feel like a GI Joe. Are we supposed to call them "blackshirts" now?

Snake Eyes has lips on the mask now, too? I didn't notice that in the first few pics and I hope this is changed.

Hawk's outfit looks a little too derivative of Snake Plissken for my taste.

I'm not hating on the movie, but my interest just dropped by about 20%. So, I am still 80% sure I will love the movie.

Sigh....

I'm not going to jump up and down and start saying that this movie is going to be bad based only on looking at the costumes, because the black leather clearly worked for the first two X-Men movies. But at the same time, these costumes aren't doing anything to boost my overall perception of how this movie will turn out.

In one regard for realism, it makes sense that a covert ops military unit would be wearing all black. And despite the personal liberities that the GI Joe team has always taken (post original 13) in individual uniforms, it would also make sense that a military unit would want some uniformity in their uniforms (sorry for the pun).

But here are the sticking points:

1. Sure Scarlett's got her red hair and crossbow, and Snake Eyes has his visor and sword, but beyond that everything looks like it could be any generic, quasi-sci-fi military group. There's nothing that uniquely identifies the cast as "GI Joe" any more so than "Generic Military Movie". Except of course for the camoflauge with "GI Joe" woven throughout it....

2. Hollywood clearly hates the United States of America and its armed forces. The military is always portrayed as a heartless, soulless, conscience-less group of meatheads who follow any order to kill babies and kick puppies without question. When that portrayal isn't onscreen, it's one of how poor helpless idealists are trapped in a vicious system that makes them do these things. You'll notice there isn't a single American flag, a single patch indicating that they are part of the US Army, and nothing even remotely resembling current military uniforms or gear. To include any of these things would imply that US soldiers can actually be heroes and good guys, and that's just bad for publicity.

I know all the transformers fans ot there did nothing but bash the Transformers movie all the way up to its blockbuster release, but I still remain wary of the GI Joe movie until proven otherwise.

If you want to see how an ultra top-secret covert special ops group should look onscreen, go pick up the first two seasons of "The Unit" on DVD.

crap... I just went from "I will see this movie, but probably won't like it" to "I will NEVER, EVER" pay to see this movie"

I dont think they could have done any worse

IM down with it,

if you have a budget and producers and can make a better film than make one, its a free country,

oh and the blonde chick is kinda a butterface scarlet looks the best im not as into the baroness they could have gone with a better looking broad

If you have any G.I. Joes, sell em' now...

Ha, that's the LAST thing I'm going to do. When this movie hits and the rest of the world thinks that THIS is what GI Joe is about, I'll still have my figures to remind me of the way GI Joe SHOULD be.

I do have to say, I think they did a good job over all with the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow look. Those two, at least, are working for me.

If you want to see how an ultra top-secret covert special ops group should look onscreen, go pick up the first two seasons of "The Unit" on DVD.

I agree. That show nailed the look I was hoping for with GI Joe. But the producers have made it pretty clear from the get-go that they're going for more of a "high-tech combat fantasy" look.

Im surprised no one has mentioned sigma six in this. Thats what this reminds me of

That was the FIRST thing I thought of when the costumes were leaked several days ago.

Y'know, I can deal with this. The designs themselves aren't bad, and the placement of the armor is quite logical. I just wish there was a bit of flair to individual members costumes. Like, throw some red on Scarlet's suit, it doesn't have to be a lot, just a little flair. Maybe a little tan to Duke's, or some green or navy blue, just something to break up the endless black

I'm not sure what better ideas I would've had in mind. As some things don't always translate well from toys/comics/cartoons to the big screen. However, I'm not quite feeling this, other than Marlon Wayans doesn't look as dorky as I thought he would. And Scarlett at least looks a little bit better.

As for the rest (minus Snake Eyes), I'm not feeling it. Especially Hawk. He seems more poised to be playing Guile in Street Fighter. :|

Of course, I don't want to bash things entirely until I see more or a finished product. But still, I'm not feeling too optimistic at the moment.

But here are the sticking points:

1. Sure Scarlett's got her red hair and crossbow, and Snake Eyes has his visor and sword, but beyond that everything looks like it could be any generic, quasi-sci-fi military group. There's nothing that uniquely identifies the cast as "GI Joe" any more so than "Generic Military Movie". Except of course for the camoflauge with "GI Joe" woven throughout it....

2. Hollywood clearly hates the United States of America and its armed forces. The military is always portrayed as a heartless, soulless, conscience-less group of meatheads who follow any order to kill babies and kick puppies without question. When that portrayal isn't onscreen, it's one of how poor helpless idealists are trapped in a vicious system that makes them do these things. You'll notice there isn't a single American flag, a single patch indicating that they are part of the US Army, and nothing even remotely resembling current military uniforms or gear. To include any of these things would imply that US soldiers can actually be heroes and good guys, and that's just bad for publicity

Nuff Said..........they just look like generic people........awful. Also, for the record I liked the Transformers designs with an exception of the flames on Prime.

The casting is good......I just don't like the suits

Stormw SHadow, Snake eyes and the Baroness are a Win.

however the generic lack suits for the Joes is gonna make normal people

have identity problems.

at least give Hawk his Brown Bomber jacket!

SE, Storm Shadow, Scarlett, Baroness, and Hawk all look good to me. I think the costumes look very good and they at least look the character, maybe less for Hawk but he still looks ok.

There is nothing about Duke that makes him stand out, I can't even tell if he has blond hair can anyone see that?

While I understand Cover Girl is a former model and is supposed to be very good looking, isn't she supposed to be a little more tomboyish then that? What they did with her costume/character look kinda puts me off cause shes my favorite female character does anybody else feel the same way about that?

I'm still kinda off with Ripcord changing ethnicity but at least he doesn't look crappy with the costume, so I'll let it slide as well.

Meh... They look okay. It's too bad they sort of copped out on the uniforms. They look cool, but it's an easy out - we've seen this before in the Matrix, X-Men, etc. I don't mind it on Snake Eyes or even Scarlett, but I wish they'd have gone more for a V1 look for Duke rather than Sigma Six. Then again, this isn't like Transformers - these guys can change their uniforms obviously! Maybe we'll see him in a tan fatigue shirt too.

Hawk looks like an amalgamation of Hawk and Flint with that beret, but seeing as how black berets are standard issue nowadays I can't complain about that. They all look the part, that's for sure.

Storm Shadow and the Baroness look perfect, although it'd be shame if Storm Shadow didn't wear a white ninja suit at some point in the film, of course!

Overall, I think I'm likely to enjoy the film. Even Marlon looks pretty good, but I wish he was named Stalker instead of Ripcord. I don't care what people associate the word with nowadays - they still have "Predator" movies and people realize what the original meaning of the word is!

2. Hollywood clearly hates the United States of America and its armed forces. The military is always portrayed as a heartless, soulless, conscience-less group of meatheads who follow any order to kill babies and kick puppies without question. When that portrayal isn't onscreen, it's one of how poor helpless idealists are trapped in a vicious system that makes them do these things. You'll notice there isn't a single American flag, a single patch indicating that they are part of the US Army, and nothing even remotely resembling current military uniforms or gear. To include any of these things would imply that US soldiers can actually be heroes and good guys, and that's just bad for publicity.

That's such a load of crap - just look at the Transformers movie. Obviously you can't generalize an entire industry like that.

And guess what? Spec ops units quite often DON'T have identifying marks like flags, etc on their uniforms for security purposes. For the life of me, I can't think of very many GI Joe figures that had flags on their uniforms either!

I still think they will have more than one outfit. Probably something like what Hawk and Cover Girl are wearing. I doubt Hawk and Cover Girl will have the black suits since they will not be around the big fights where they are worn.

I bet Storm Shadow will another outfit that looks more ninja-ish.

That's such a load of crap - just look at the Transformers movie. Obviously you can't generalize an entire industry like that.

And guess what? Spec ops units quite often DON'T have identifying marks like flags, etc on their uniforms for security purposes. For the life of my, I can't think of very many GI Joe figures that had flags on their uniforms either!

It may be a broad sweeping generalization, but I still defy anyone to name any movie from the last 10 years other than Blackhawk Down that has protrayed the post-Vietnam War US military in a positive light. In Transformers you had the one little unit that was helping the Autobots and other main characters, and the rest of the military was portrayed as self-serving and unwilling to listen to anyone but themselves.

And yes, I know full well that many special forces operators use "sanitized" uniforms with absolutely no tape or patches. That's why I implied that the camoflauge with "GI Joe" all over it was a little ridiculous.

I'm not saying dress everyone in red, white, and blue but at the same time I think there could have been more of a middle ground that still identitfied the team as US soldiers.

What it all comes down to is that I am really bothered by the fact that the "Real American Hero" aspect of GI Joe has become so easy to just throw away. Larry Hama was always able to incorporate the complex interaction between patriotism, following orders, and personal conscience in his characterizations in the comics. Now, because the Iraq war is unpopular, nobody wants to risk their profit margin by possibly being percieved as a jingoistic war hawk.

SE, Storm Shadow, Scarlett, Baroness, and Hawk all look good to me. I think the costumes look very good and they at least look the character, maybe less for Hawk but he still looks ok.

There is nothing about Duke that makes him stand out, I can't even tell if he has blond hair can anyone see that?

While I understand Cover Girl is a former model and is supposed to be very good looking, isn't she supposed to be a little more tomboyish then that? What they did with her costume/character look kinda puts me off cause shes my favorite female character does anybody else feel the same way about that?

I'm still kinda off with Ripcord changing ethnicity but at least he doesn't look crappy with the costume, so I'll let it slide as well.

True they look good, but not GIJOE good. The only thing that actually let you know that they are GIJOE is Snake Eyes costume....other than that it doesnt say GIJOE to me. Lets say I read GIJOE all in the 80's. Lets say I took a flight one day in the 80's and got stranded on a island, where black smoke, polar bears, and "the others" are forever chasing me. Lets say I finally get off said island, an hour before the movie premieres. Of course hearing GIJOE has a movie I'm going straight to the movie without doing anything else first. I get in the movie right when somebody screams RIPCORD look out. They only thing I see is some black guy jumping out of the way of a grenade...and Im like thats not Ripcord...cause you know he's white. I play catch up and read all the back issues, but nowhere do I see where Ripcord became black. Im confused....I fall heavily into depression and try to kill myself....only to realize...the island wont let me. Im doomed to walk the earth realizing that Hollywood, GIJOE and the island are working together.

By the way Im African American and I still dont think Marlon waynes should be playing Ripcord.