The 3 C's of Minimates: Cancellation, Cancellation, Cancellation

The Avenger

I love minimates to death, they are by far the best minature figure collection around, and the only toyline I've continued to collect. The quality is great and everything, but why oh why do they cancel every other wave of things they plan.

-Marvel Wave 15 (Ghost Rider).

-Street Fighter Wave 2.

-A dozen or more DC Comics C3 sets.

-Battlestar Galactica vehicle assortment.

-The rest of the Speed Racer line.

-Tony Hawk 3" Mates.

-Napster Cat minimates.

-A bunch of 3" Star Trek Mates.

-Apparently some of the upcoming 24 and Back to the Future sets.

It's not that I'll miss most of these things coming out, it was probably in their best interests to cancel the waves, but why did they feel the need to show them to begin with, and leave us unsatisfied later. This is an ongoing issue, that they haven't felt the need to resolve, and while I realize all companies can a few things from time to time, it seems like Art Asylum's legacy. Does anyone have any insight into why they aren't more careful in what products they reveal, does it bother anyone else?

The answer (as with any toyline or product in general) is "vendor support". All of these products were "displayed" at ToyFairs in order to garner interest and gain buyers; a very competitive venue. The information just gets "leaked" to the general public as a result of the internet and hobby news sources; it was never really intended for us (though we self-righteously believe it is). If the interest is not there, or if the product has previously performed poorly in sales, the line has no where to go without adequate financial-backing and/or shelf-space...plain and simple. For lines being discontinued, the blame lies on us as the consumers for not financially supporting (by actually buying the stuff!) these lines and/or poor marketing (advertising, availability, etc.). Everytime one of these lines gets lost, canned, or whatever due to poor sales or preorders, it reflects poorly on the company and makes it that much harder to gain support in the future. Large companies like Hasbro and Mattel (for example) have alot more room to experiment (and quite frankly "put any kind of crap out") as they have a long history of quality and successful sales with licences like Barbie, HotWheels, StarWars, etc.; they will always have support because chains want to continue to carry their product regardless. They honestly don't have a clue what is cool or innovative, they simply know what has done well in the past and hope that lightning strikes twice. The market is far to risky (now more than ever) to "gamble" on...sad but true.

Let's face-it rising costs, shifting-trends and limited space have caused many to be alot more scrutinizing than in the past. Hell, I myself (simply as a collector) have had to seriously cut-down on my collecting habits and just stick with what is most important to me personally, what I can comfortably afford, and what I have room for. In this instance, stores are not so different...only they have a Hell of alot more at stake than you or I. ;)

I love Minimates, and will continue to do my part to further their cause (despite many disappointments) by: a) Buying the damn things! (preordering if neccessary), B) participating and trying to evoke the same passion I feel by discussing and passing-on info. about the 'lil guys, and c) turning-on those unfamiliar with "Mini-mania" (I highly recommend visiting www.minimatescentral.com to any looking for more info. or just a great place to discuss Minimates B) ). I hope you all will continue to do the same!

You make some good points that I was semi-aware of, but like to overlook. Really most of the stuff on that list was never solicited. The stuff that was, Ghost Riderl, and Street Fighter Series 2 were among the ones I wanted most, it seems like if those weren't selling up to standards they could have still released them in smaller runs, but again, I'm not too privy to the business side of things.

I will definitelly keep supporting the mini-mate brand though.

Guest blokstyle
does it bother anyone else?

It bothers me.... I totally agree with you 110% You're not alone....I feel your pain =(

@firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@ @firedevil@

C3? I thought those were done ages ago? They were going to get revived?

Sucks to see Street Fighter gone...

They were cancelled long ago, but there were atleast 10 sets that were displayed at shows that never got released. The Batman Batmobile, A whole Batman Begins line, Lex Luthor, Hawkgirl, and Wonder Woman JLU mates. They would have been nice to see.

• 3 weeks later...

They were cancelled long ago, but there were atleast 10 sets that were displayed at shows that never got released. The Batman Batmobile, A whole Batman Begins line, Lex Luthor, Hawkgirl, and Wonder Woman JLU mates. They would have been nice to see.

That blows. I wonder why they get canned like that... .. .

• 1 year later...

That blows. I wonder why they get canned like that... .. .

Dug up this old post.

I don't gget why DC Direct canceled the DC mates but for C3 it was hard. The large playset are too expensive and the constructions were not too solid. THe parts are hard to connect and fall out easily. The deal with AA and DC was difficult which I had no idea why they thought of the C3 idea. AA was only able to make DC mates as long as they are included in C3 sets. THis is fine with Batman ,Robin or a few JLA members but for characters like Hawkman you can't expect to include any type of small vehicles.