Why the struggle with female faces?

CJDDO

I've noticed, as well as everyone who reads these posts that both toy biz and hasbro have struggled with capturing a well.....feminine female face sculpt. When you look at some of the DC offerings (new wonder woman series for instance) albeit much less articukated, their facial sculpts capture their female character's comic book looks. What do you guys think? Why should the marvel legends females still look like the chromosomally challenged 1980's G.I Joe Scarlet figure in the year 2008?

its probably because they don't really need a good face sculpt, they just need the characters name to sell it, if they were to make a Lilandra fig nobody would care what the faced looked like, collectors would just buy it because its Lillandra, thats what happened with Emma Frost in my opinion, everyone just wanted her so bad that hasbro rushed her just to appease the collectors and to help ease the hasbro-toybiz transition(i just think they've been kissing the fanboys ass with the lesser known characters while still not giving us decent sculpts for them, just to keep us at ease), but this obviously isn't apparent with all the female sculpts, sometimes its not the face sculpts that are bad but the bodies, another problem they've had it the consistent reuse of only 2 different female body sculpts fro all their figs. most aren't even that bad, some of the better ones are Warbird, Phoenix, Mystique, Lady Deathstrike, Psylocke, Spider-Woman,Shadow Cat, Marvel Girl, and She-Hulk.

but i think what you asking is why are the toys not as hot or sexy as they appearing the comic, and i think its because they don't want them to be"offense" towards women or children, for example i don't remember Lady Deathstrike having a shirt on under her vest thing in some of the comics, but they put a shirt on her.

I've noticed, as well as everyone who reads these posts that both toy biz and hasbro have struggled with capturing a well.....feminine female face sculpt. When you look at some of the DC offerings (new wonder woman series for instance) albeit much less articukated, their facial sculpts capture their female character's comic book looks. What do you guys think? Why should the marvel legends females still look like the chromosomally challenged 1980's G.I Joe Scarlet figure in the year 2008?

its probably because they don't really need a good face sculpt, they just need the characters name to sell it, if they were to make a Lilandra fig nobody would care what the faced looked like, collectors would just buy it because its Lillandra, thats what happened with Emma Frost in my opinion, everyone just wanted her so bad that hasbro rushed her just to appease the collectors and to help ease the hasbro-toybiz transition(i just think since then they've been kissing the fanboys ass with the lesser known characters while still not giving us decent sculpts for them, just to keep us at ease), but this obviously isn't apparent with all the female sculpts, sometimes its not the face sculpts that are bad but the bodies, another problem they've had it the consistent reuse of only 2 different female body sculpts fro all their figs. most aren't even that bad, some of the better ones are Warbird, Phoenix, Mystique, Lady Deathstrike, Psylocke, Spider-Woman, and She-Hulk. but i think what you asking is why are the toys not as hot or sexy as they appearing the comic, and i think its because they don't want them to be"offense" towards women or children, for example i don't remember Lady Deathstrike having a shirt on under her vest thing in some of the comics, but they put a shirt on her.

I see your point, but I don't think they necessarily have to cross the line from attractive female sculpt (or should i say at least coming closer to comic book facial art) to skanky. For the most part the faces look androgenous, not particularly feminine. It seems like sloppy work, when alot of detail obviously goes into male sculpts

its probably because they don't really need a good face sculpt, they just need the characters name to sell it, if they were to make a Lilandra fig nobody would care what the faced looked like, collectors would just buy it because its Lillandra, thats what happened with Emma Frost in my opinion, everyone just wanted her so bad that hasbro rushed her just to appease the collectors and to help ease the hasbro-toybiz transition(i just think since then they've been kissing the fanboys ass with the lesser known characters while still not giving us decent sculpts for them, just to keep us at ease), but this obviously isn't apparent with all the female sculpts, sometimes its not the face sculpts that are bad but the bodies, another problem they've had it the consistent reuse of only 2 different female body sculpts fro all their figs. most aren't even that bad, some of the better ones are Warbird, Phoenix, Mystique, Lady Deathstrike, Psylocke, Spider-Woman, and She-Hulk. but i think what you asking is why are the toys not as hot or sexy as they appearing the comic, and i think its because they don't want them to be"offense" towards women or children, for example i don't remember Lady Deathstrike having a shirt on under her vest thing in some of the comics, but they put a shirt on her.

I see your point, but I don't think they necessarily have to cross the line from attractive female sculpt (or should i say at least coming closer to comic book facial art) to skanky. For the most part the faces look androgenous, not particularly feminine. It seems like sloppy work, when alot of detail obviously goes into male sculpts

ya but their no where close to having an attractive sculpt, going back to the emma frost sculpt, its just plain bad, while it the comic shes as hot as hell, i just find it hard for hasbro to accidentally screw up such a hot chick, she should have looked something like this:

emmafrost011copy.jpg

i mean common look at the figs face then look at the pix on her box, how hard is it to screw that up?

emmafrost_01a__scaled_600.jpg

ya but their no where close to having an attractive sculpt, going back to the emma frost sculpt, its just plain bad, while it the comic shes as hot as hell, i just find it hard for hasbro to accidentally screw up such a hot chick, she should have looked something like this:

emmafrost011copy.jpg

i mean common look at the figs face then look at the pix on her box, how hard is it to screw that up?

emmafrost_01a__scaled_600.jpg

Of course. I used the wonder woman example in my original post. The figure can't move worth a damn, but as sclupting goes, her face looks, well...like wonder woman in the comics, hot, not skanky

ya im not asking for skanky figures, im just asking them to make them look remotely like the comic character, for emma it seems they didnt even try.

I think that Black Queen and Marvel Girl/Rachel have good face sculpts.

I agree and the Invisible Woman casts aren't too bad. Judging by the looks of Tigra so far she looks good.

I think a majority of the females look okay, the only ones I had a problem with were Scarlet Witch (who Toybiz almost didn't release because they felt she wasn't up to standard) and White Queen.

ya i mean theres actually only a couple bad female face sculpts, they only ones that come to mind are emma frost and Electra

Its nothing to do with the sculpts--its the paint apps. most of the female figures made thus far have sculpts that are just fine--its how they have been painted that kills their looks.

Its an unfortunate effects of mass production--proper paint would require a precisions and specific application of paint touches that a factory operation simply cannot accomodate.

The picture of Emma Frost above is misleading to a great degree because it was carefully hand-painted and probably took some time to do it.

The stuff that's made into mass-produced toys had apps laid on in seconds, simply because they have to produce possibly thousands of units a day..........which is why it can be hit and miss.

Its nothing to do with the sculpts--its the paint apps. most of the female figures made thus far have sculpts that are just fine--its how they have been painted that kills their looks.

Its an unfortunate effects of mass production--proper paint would require a precisions and specific application of paint touches that a factory operation simply cannot accomodate.

The picture of Emma Frost above is misleading to a great degree because it was carefully hand-painted and probably took some time to do it.

The stuff that's made into mass-produced toys had apps laid on in seconds, simply because they have to produce possibly thousands of units a day..........which is why it can be hit and miss.

it has every thing to do with the sculpting, the emma frost face sculpt is comparably bad when you put her to next to lets say..... the phoenix fig, she has pretty good sculpting with minimal paint apps, then you look at the frost fig and you can see that the sculpted face looks nothing like the character, while the phoenix one does.

its not paint apps that determine how they look, ya it makes them look better,but the phoenix fig was created with the same factory process and she looks dead on with the comic character, paint apps isnt what made the EF fig bad its just the sculpting, her head is too small and her hair it too big.

it has every thing to do with the sculpting, the emma frost face sculpt is comparably bad when you put her to next to lets say..... the phoenix fig, she has pretty good sculpting with minimal paint apps, then you look at the frost fig and you can see that the sculpted face looks nothing like the character, while the phoenix one does.

Were they sculpted by the same person, within the same amount of time? Made at the same factory?

Doubtful, because of the clear differences in the outcome......and the circumstances ( made by tow difference companies).

I'd bet that Emma can be repainted ( carefully) to be a quite attractive looking figure--and I'm will to bet its been done already.

I know it can be done with other bland looking figures because I have seen it done firsthand by skilled hobbyists myself--but I'm going to try with my own Emma figure ( and Lady Deathstrike as well.) to see for myself.

Were they sculpted by the same person, within the same amount of time? Made at the same factory?

Doubtful, because of the clear differences in the outcome......and the circumstances ( made by tow difference companies).

I'd bet that Emma can be repainted ( carefully) to be a quite attractive looking figure--and I'm will to bet its been done already.

I know it can be done with other bland looking figures because I have seen it done firsthand by skilled hobbyists myself--but I'm going to try with my own Emma figure ( and Lady Deathstrike as well.) to see for myself.

ive never seen anyone even try to work with her current sculpt, all the ones ive seen just just a different head and hair.

their both by different sculptors, but Dave Cortez(emma's sculptor) has maid such better pieces, such as cable,the BAF Sentinel, black panther, ML 8 cap amer. so why does he just all of a sudden give us a crappy sculpt, plus i doubt that just because hasbro bought the characters license, they moved their total factory operations to a completely different factory.