Cobra HISS

BradMan

So I picked up the Target exclusive vehicles a few days ago and just now had the chance to open 'em up and apply all the stickers and such. While I was putting the stickers on the HISS I realized 2 things:

1. I don't miss putting stickers on vehicles at all.

2. The HISS is one of the most perfectly designed vehicles in not just all of GI Joe history, but all of 3 3/4" figure history.

The HISS is so simple, and yet not lacking in any style or substance. I still have the original HISS I got as a kid 20+ years ago, and that vehicle has withstood the test of time. It's pretty much just a block of plastic with a canopy and a turret, so it's built like a brick s*%t house.

I had plenty of other COBRA vehicles I thought were cooler as a kid. When I bought the COBRA Rage I thought that was like the coolest tank-like vehicle ever, and yet now I can't find a single piece of it. It had so many little doors and wheels and missiles and such that got lost over the years while the HISS looks the same today as it did 20 years ago.

So now I'm debating whether to buy a few more blue ones, or wait for the black ones to come out.

2. The HISS is one of the most perfectly designed vehicles in not just all of GI Joe history, but all of 3 3/4" figure history.

Totally, Dude! I'm right with you all the way.

I TOTALLY love the HISS. It's ALWAYS been one of my favorite toy vehicles. And Dang! I was so stoked when I saw they were only ten bucks each! I was all like Give me a hundred!

The only thing I got a problem with is I wish the stickers gave us the numbers 1 thr 10. That way if I army build HISS tanks they won't all have 827 on the side. I was thinking of getting a scissors and cutting up the numbers so I could have 782 or 278. Yeah. Its cheap but WTF? It's better than three 827's. I really want numbers 1 thru 10 so I could have a HISS with my birthday on it. I wrote a letter to Target complaining about this but I know I'm totally pi$$ing up a rope.

BTW, I TOTALLY prefer the blue HISS over the all black one.

The only thing I got a problem with is I wish the stickers gave us the numbers 1 thr 10. That way if I army build HISS tanks they won't all have 827 on the side.

I've always thought that too. It should have instructions on how to use them too - I forget exactly how it's done but the Germans used this method in WWII. I think one number designates the actual unit, one designates the tank troop, the other the company, or something to that effect. I like the idea that Cobra uses the same designation.

I haven't found them yet, but am looking forward to grabbing one. I do wish they would release the HISS 2 mold, repainted to the HISS 1 colors.

The only thing I got a problem with is I wish the stickers gave us the numbers 1 thr 10. That way if I army build HISS tanks they won't all have 827 on the side.

I've always thought that too. It should have instructions on how to use them too - I forget exactly how it's done but the Germans used this method in WWII. I think one number designates the actual unit, one designates the tank troop, the other the company, or something to that effect. I like the idea that Cobra uses the same designation.

This is why having the same number doesn't bother me that much. I wouldn't imagine Cobra deploying multiple armor units for the same battle unless it was a HUGE battle. For minor firefights, or the everyday patrols around Cobra Island, I think one unit's worth of tanks would suffice, and they would all have the same number on them. Now, if they came with different 'bumper numbers' that would make more sense. Unlike the VvV Humvees that all came with the same bumper number, which made absolutely no sense.

My only complaint with the Target HISS is that it didin't come wih the correct driver.I wished it came with the HISS driver not the stinger driver.I am personaly waiting for the Black hiss with Blue HISS driver.

That bugs me too. I love the blue hiss but I really didn't need another cobra soldier. Remember though that the red hiss driver comes in the next wave of single cards.

I too agree that the HISS is an awsome vehicle. Over the years I have seen some pretty awsome customs even a couple different white polar HISS vehicles. I am looking forward to getting my hands on a few of the new ones too.

This is why having the same number doesn't bother me that much. I wouldn't imagine Cobra deploying multiple armor units for the same battle unless it was a HUGE battle. For minor firefights, or the everyday patrols around Cobra Island, I think one unit's worth of tanks would suffice, and they would all have the same number on them. Now, if they came with different 'bumper numbers' that would make more sense. Unlike the VvV Humvees that all came with the same bumper number, which made absolutely no sense.

By unit, I meant the actual tank.

Not sure if that's how tankers use the term - I'm navy, so I'm used to calling one ship a unit, but of course they're much bigger... But anyway, that's what I meant - 731 would denote 1st tank of 3rd troop of 7th company... I THINK. I'm not 100% sure about that but I do recall reading that somewhere...

Not sure if that's how tankers use the term - I'm navy, so I'm used to calling one ship a unit, but of course they're much bigger... But anyway, that's what I meant - 731 would denote 1st tank of 3rd troop of 7th company... I THINK. I'm not 100% sure about that but I do recall reading that somewhere...

It's something to that effect. I tried to look it up on google, but my searches were fruitless.

It's something to that effect. I tried to look it up on google, but my searches were fruitless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_marki...States_military

While this is a more generic look at the way we mark vehicles in the army, it can be slightly usefull. It also gives you an idea where I was coming from when I mentioned bumper numbers.

Of course, this is all a moot point since we're talking about markings for a terrorist organization. And on top of that we're talking about markings on toys of those terrorists.

Forgot the link the first time around. Should be good to go now.

Of course, this is all a moot point since we're talking about markings for a terrorist organization. And on top of that we're talking about markings on toys of those terrorists.

Yeah, that's why I like the big WWII German-like numbers on the HISS and some of their other vehicles. Gives it a little more of a classic "evil" look, I think.

I always thought the H.I.S.S. was one of the WORST designed tanks ever.

I mean look how EASILY it would be to take out one of the treads? No armor of protection at all.

hiss_front_right_iso.jpg

One thing I overlook (playability factor) is the fact the guns can't really hold any ammunition, from the looks (same problem applies to a lot of the tanks like the Armadillo and H.I.S.S. II). I mean how is it loaded? I'm not a big fan of a lot of the vehicles carrying laser weapons.

So now I'm debating whether to buy a few more blue ones, or wait for the black ones to come out.

I'm doing both....supportin' the line to the fullest.

To bad this tank wasn't updated a bit to have moving treads

Yup, I echo the cool idea reply on this one

I LOVE the hiss. I wish they would make one in white and call it the artic hiss.

Hell yeah....maybe someone should mention this to the Joe team at the con!

I mean look how EASILY it would be to take out one of the treads? No armor of protection at all.

High speed baby! That is it's protection.....but one shell from a MOBAT and it is toast.

Yea i love the Hiss Tank but the Treads dont spin like the Mobat.

And the Cockpit doesnt come down to the floor like the original Drawing.

The day it does these things ill say it is the best vehicle ever!

High speed baby! That is it's protection.....but one shell from a MOBAT and it is toast.

And don't forget, these babies are deployed in MASSIVE numbers!

Cobra took one lesson from the good guys in WWII, when it took 5-6+ Shermans to take out one Tiger or Panther. Cobra can't afford expensive equipment like the MOBAT or Mauler, so it buys the faster and cheaper HISS tanks from Destro to gang up on them.

Yea i love the Hiss Tank but the Treads dont spin like the Mobat.

I really wish the 25th version had this extra detail... I wouldn't even need the tracks to spin, just to look like they were more separate from the lower hull.