Wrong approach to Marvel Legends

CJDDO

I love how people want to act like B & C list characters aren't getting made, yet forget all the ones that HAVE gotten made.

This person isn't forgetting that there have been one's that have been made, and that's not what the point of my original statement was. i'm saying that B and C list characters can be and have been translated into some of the more interesting action figures without the backing of movies, and mass circulation of their particular comic books or comics in which they appeared. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that it's the popularity of core marvel characters and the success of their use in other entertainment media that have allowed ML's to exist and continue

It don't mattter what they offer in the wave. If the execution is right, sculpt is right, paint apps and wash is right, presentation and realism is there, then it will be a seller even if it is a B list character and not a peg warmer. Check out Bullseye. That character is not an A list character but really sold well. Same with Moon Knight. or the FFClassics Dragon Man. They were really good sculpts and executed right.

It don't mattter what they offer in the wave. If the execution is right, sculpt is right, paint apps and wash is right, presentation and realism is there, then it will be a seller even if it is a B list character and not a peg warmer. Check out Bullseye. That character is not an A list character but really sold well. Same with Moon Knight. or the FFClassics Dragon Man. They were really good sculpts and executed right.

ditto

Man-thing isn't the greatest character in the MU, but damn, that was a great sculpt. It made it one of the more interesting ones of it's wave.

Well, the thing is that quality means jack-spit. The casual consumer simply does not care about "quality" if they do not have a association to the product--especially younger consumers.

There's piles of cancelled toy-lines what were excellent product that no-one gave a hoot about simply because they didn't know who the characters were--its also why most toys have some kind of tangental media tie-in, like a tv show or movie. Most consumers these days are, sadly programmed to react ONLY to products tied into related media.

I've tracked this myself for about a decade on-line--noting many "requested" lists in many toy forums.

When a thread starts like out like: "What kind of toyline would you like to see?" in EVERY case, 99.9% of the respondants list stuff from TV or movies.

They are going with what they know, and if they don't know it......they don't want it.

(For years I was listing that toymakers should create their own home-grown ideas and characters, without relying on other media. Always fell on deaf ears because no-one could think outside their box)

Ergo, with the lesser known characters, its not enough to make them look good......Man-Thing was a really great looking toy......but he was a major peg warmer. More than a few retailers had trouble GIVING the figure away--hell, I know a couple that had trouble selling the figure at clearance for $1.

Iron Man routinely sells out. So does Spiderman. Captain America and Hulk as well.

A small retailer I know told me that of all the Marvel legends and related lines like SMC etc he carried, Spiderman was the top seller. He could sell that figure without trying.......someone was always looking for him, and this IN SPITE of the fact that just doors away was a TRU that moved LESS Marvel Legends stock than he did.

And they were selling out of Spidey too.

Apparently, that common all over the place.

You and I might think.......Stingray, for example, would be a cool-ass character to make as a ML.......and he would look cool. But cool looks means squat if the majority of consumers don't know who Stingray is.

Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Is he an X-man? Does he have his own comic? Is he Marvel or DC ( Yea, even in Marvel packaging they will ask this question!)?

Any character not in the mainstream gets the same approach.

I wish it was otherwise, but that's what's happening and why we are getting the trickle of characters we see.

Man-thing isn't the greatest character in the MU, but damn, that was a great sculpt. It made it one of the more interesting ones of it's wave.

Well, the thing is that quality means jack-spit. The casual consumer simply does not care about "quality" if they do not have a association to the product--especially younger consumers.

There's piles of cancelled toy-lines what were excellent product that no-one gave a hoot about simply because they didn't know who the characters were--its also why most toys have some kind of tangental media tie-in, like a tv show or movie. Most consumers these days are, sadly programmed to react ONLY to products tied into related media.

I've tracked this myself for about a decade on-line--noting many "requested" lists in many toy forums.

When a thread starts like out like: "What kind of toyline would you like to see?" in EVERY case, 99.9% of the respondants list stuff from TV or movies.

They are going with what they know, and if they don't know it......they don't want it.

(For years I was listing that toymakers should create their own home-grown ideas and characters, without relying on other media. Always fell on deaf ears because no-one could think outside their box)

Ergo, with the lesser known characters, its not enough to make them look good......Man-Thing was a really great looking toy......but he was a major peg warmer. More than a few retailers had trouble GIVING the figure away--hell, I know a couple that had trouble selling the figure at clearance for $1.

Iron Man routinely sells out. So does Spiderman. Captain America and Hulk as well.

A small retailer I know told me that of all the Marvel legends and related lines like SMC etc he carried, Spiderman was the top seller. He could sell that figure without trying.......someone was always looking for him, and this IN SPITE of the fact that just doors away was a TRU that moved LESS Marvel Legends stock than he did.

And they were selling out of Spidey too.

Apparently, that common all over the place.

You and I might think.......Stingray, for example, would be a cool-ass character to make as a ML.......and he would look cool. But cool looks means squat if the majority of consumers don't know who Stingray is.

Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Is he an X-man? Does he have his own comic? Is he Marvel or DC ( Yea, even in Marvel packaging they will ask this question!)?

Any character not in the mainstream gets the same approach.

I wish it was otherwise, but that's what's happening and why we are getting the trickle of characters we see.

Good points made by all i think

As stated before, good arguements by most of those that posted. I too as a long time Marvel fan, would love to see more "B" and "C" list characters get a shot as ML figures. While I realize that the Heavy Hitters really do move the line, do we need a Wolverine and an Iron-Man in every other series (think Toy Biz) and now a number of Captain Americas (think Hasbro)???

I thought tha the idea of the BAF concept was to make the line more interesting, garner money by "forcing" people to buy the whole set to complete the BAF, AND move a few "second string" characters along the way? As much as I loved the Deathlok figure, do you think he would have sold WITHOUT having a piece of Galactus? Wonder Man, Movie Punisher, The Beast and 1st Appearance Thing stayed on the pegs 4ever because they had no real catch. But you add a BAF piece adn evrything goes (except for HML-1).

If Hasbro follows the Mattel model for DCU of an "A"-list hero, his archenemy, 2 "B" figures, and a fan favorite, maybe more of us would be happy waiting to spend our money on BAF's or anything else that Hasbro decides to toss our way.

I love how people want to act like B & C list characters aren't getting made, yet forget all the ones that HAVE gotten made.

That's what makes them B & C list characters @loll@