As close as I've gotten to official confermation...

clonekiller72

Superarticulated has posted an article, that can be linked to through wizard universe, revealing the fate of the Marvel Icons line.

http://superarticulated.com/2008/04/10/mar...celed/#more-296

In brief, it says that the wave is canceled w/retailers, and that Marvel Legends in general are quite literally the bottom of the totem pole as far as production concerns go. The movie figures can't share space with Marvel Legends, so they're gonna get bumped.

I don't really know the source, and I'll wait til NYCC for official word, but this is the trend many of us have been feeling, and this minor confirmantion could end up being big.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Credibitilty?

Where is there credibility in that linked article?

Its an OPINION PIECE for the most part, a summation of assumptions from the author--there's no new established facts to it.

The very thrust about the doom of the line is contradicted later with this line that has previously been reported:

"Jesse ( Falcon) was very excited about what was coming down the pipeline and believes that collectors and fans will be very happy come the New York Comic-Con and San Diego Comic Con this year."

So which is it?

Some doom and gloom from someone not even directly affiliated with Hasbro at all, or someone that has been reported has not either consulting or working directly with Hasbro and is stating excitement and positives in the upcoming product--which makes more sense?

Duuuh, degree-holders in rocket science need not apply to this one.

I have said this so many times why not wait until New York Comicon then make a decision? It's in what? Six days? Six days from official word, stop worrying! I think what Hasbro is doing is letting the Iron Man figures sell for awhile so they don't become peg warmers like the Spider-man 3 line was last year. We will problably get more MLs in June, that would give the Iron Man figures enough time to move off the shelves. Six days, if we don't get word by then, we should consider panicing, but look at what we got a Toy Fair, we get way too news hungry around here. Some of us are like the over protective mom that needs to know where her kid is at every second, and no one likes that kind of mom. @smilepunch@

i think it will be funny how everyone freaks out about this opinion, the guy it totally assuming, but forewarning, even though it is an opinion, its not that crazy of news, hasbro really doesnt seem to care about the ML line,it seems like hasbro bought the characters rights just to have the movie lines which they're hoping will sell more. maybe their slowly phasing out the ML line(god i hope nope), but if you look the quality and service hasbro provide with us for the ML lines have been going down considerably(how many more repainted sculpts can they give us?), while the quality and service within the movie line are going up, just look at the new iron man toys, they look great, but no recent ML has looked as good as the iron man movie toys. lets just hope they can redeem themselves with the hulk legends.

but anyways this isnt any where close to being "official confirmation" about any ML line, so people shouldnt freak out,well unless they announce the cancellation at NYCC (which i would doubt, it might not be a big enough platform, they could hold off until July at SDCC, but the odds of them canceling ML's are in the millions, its just not smart business) but i know they wont.

Falcon does occasionally drop facts but he also seems to blow a lot of smoke. Sometimes he seems kind of like George Bush, just being a cheerleader spewing positive spin while the house is burning. Obviously Legends is getting bumped and it's logical to assume its because of the movie figures like last year. At Toy Fair the Hasbro reps said there are a lot of plans for ML so I'm confident the line isn't cancelled. Clearly Hasbro wants to maximize the movie figure sales so they're keeping us hungry.

I would like everyone to post a picture of their facial expressions when we find out the truth about the icons and Legends. Hasbro is being wicked secret right now. This is like getting a phone call from a girl saying "I might be pregnant" and then not hearing anything afterwards. Give us something guys, there is a lot of tension building!

I have said this so many times why not wait until New York Comicon then make a decision? It's in what? Six days? Six days from official word, stop worrying! I think what Hasbro is doing is letting the Iron Man figures sell for awhile so they don't become peg warmers like the Spider-man 3 line was last year. We will problably get more MLs in June, that would give the Iron Man figures enough time to move off the shelves. Six days, if we don't get word by then, we should consider panicing, but look at what we got a Toy Fair, we get way too news hungry around here. Some of us are like the over protective mom that needs to know where her kid is at every second, and no one likes that kind of mom. @smilepunch@

Yeah !! you right ! the only thing that we can do is wait ........ @grumpy@

YOu know that actually makes sense ... starve the fans so they jump all over the movie lines :P I've already brought a few ironmans mainly the two exclusives thanks to pogoman but NOTHING NO LACK of ml will EVER make me buy any hulk movie figure @loll@

Ugh, for pete's sake, I don't care anymore. I haven't been buying marvel figures for awhile now, and I love it. The only ones i've loved so far are the Iron Man movie figs, and I'm talkin' not having figures I've loved since....hell, it's hard to say. Toy Biz was so hit and miss with figures and Hasbro just wasn't making characters that I cared about too much. There are tons of other lines out there that are cool, and I am having a time collection joes. If Hasbro wants to kill MLs, fine. If not, good, we'll just see less of them. Either that or this is all speculation. I delt with this when Hasbro put the joes on "hiatus" and for all I care the marvel figures can go the same way. I mean...come on. How long could they go without making marvel superhero toys? You'll get more sometime. They may even be different than MLs! OOOH! Just like when Toy Biz brought out ML and made 'em bigger than our old collections of 5 inch figs.

Just let this crap happen.

*sigh* Oh, and a "sorry" in advance for the dude who responds with "well this is a message board and we're allowed to voice our complaints!" Me too, hot shot.

Hey, I just wanted to share what I'd seen. That's all. Jeez. This site it sooo sensitive.

I also mentioned in the first post that I had no idea about credibility other than Wizard posted it. They have better sources than any website, so I'll take that as partial cred.

Anyway, I also heard rumors from people with NYCC floorplans that Hasbro isn't on the plan. I personally don't believe it, but you never know.

If Hasbro doesn't show anything at NYCC, I think that would be a bad sign.

Anyway this lack of news is killin me.

I have said this so many times why not wait until New York Comicon then make a decision?

Speculation is the opium of the masses.

i thought that was religion.

but yeah, i'm not getting angry until it is official. why would they announce all these plans for 2packs when they are just going to kill off the line?

I can see why they would scrap the icons line since that sold so poorly. It would be nice if they would revitalize the icons line to make oversized characters. like release a sentinel ect.

Also for the arguement about getting us to buy movie figures, yeah that is true. i've bought a few of the iron man movie toys. but i've been buying more ML's now on ebay to get my fix.

I have said this so many times why not wait until New York Comicon then make a decision?

Speculation is the opium of the masses.

i thought that was religion.

but yeah, i'm not getting angry until it is official. why would they announce all these plans for 2packs when they are just going to kill off the line?

I can see why they would scrap the icons line since that sold so poorly. It would be nice if they would revitalize the icons line to make oversized characters. like release a sentinel ect.

Also for the arguement about getting us to buy movie figures, yeah that is true. i've bought a few of the iron man movie toys. but i've been buying more ML's now on ebay to get my fix.

Yeah, I was just shoppin the 'bay looking for some customs, thinking that would give me my fix. There were a couple of nice ones there.

It's all about marketing. Fill the pegs with Ironman fig, then when the hulk movie comes out start filling the pegs with them.Come about Aug or Sept release wave 4 to keep people happy till Wave 5 right before X-mas. They did the same last year. Releasing spidy 3 and FF 2 movie figs and moved wave 2 back. After the summer then they gave us wave 3 at x-mas and FF wave and the Spidy wave. Plus the longer you wait to get them the faster you spend your money for them. Also the more some people will spend for them if they think the lines going under. Hasbro marketing department most likely the one starting the rumors. As far as Icons go they would have done alot better if they had 3 to 4 different chareters in each wave. Like a couple big name ones and one or two second rate hero. JUST ONE MAN OPINION.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

If true, it confirms everything that one of this board's most insightful members has been saying for quite some time...Something about Hasbro slowly phasing-out purely comic-based LEGENDS and replacing the 6" comic line with movie-based 6" figures of Marvel characters.

Based on the amount of Marvel movies being cranked-out in Hollywood, it certainly makes sense. LEGENDS was only good for 3, maybe 4 waves per year even with the GREAT Toy-Biz.

If Marvel has 2-3 comic movies coming out for the next several years, it makes sense (from a business perspective) that you want to tie your merchandising closely to your films; there's simply more $$ potential there, since kids who aren't necessarily fans of the comics will still want the movie figs.

After all, HASBRO's biggest success has come primarily from the MASSIVE sale of movie-related figures and merchandise (anyone ever hear of something called "Star Wars"???). Looks like the suits at Marvel Entertainment want to emulate that success, and carry it forward in sequel after sequel.

THEREFORE...look for less and less purely "comic-based" LEGENDS (eventually NONE), and more and more movie-based Marvel figs.

If true, of course...If not...Well, that'd be peachy, too!

Now...Who was that very bright, insightful board member?

#US1#

IMST

GREAT NEWS!!!!

If true, it confirms everything that one of this board's most insightful members has been saying for quite some time...Something about Hasbro slowly phasing-out purely comic-based LEGENDS and replacing the 6" comic line with movie-based 6" figures of Marvel characters.

Based on the amount of Marvel movies being cranked-out in Hollywood, it certainly makes sense. LEGENDS was only good for 3, maybe 4 waves per year even with the GREAT Toy-Biz.

If Marvel has 2-3 comic movies coming out for the next several years, it makes sense (from a business perspective) that you want to tie your merchandising closely to your films; there's simply more $$ potential there, since kids who aren't necessarily fans of the comics will still want the movie figs.

After all, HASBRO's biggest success has come primarily from the MASSIVE sale of movie-related figures and merchandise (anyone ever hear of something called "Star Wars"???). Looks like the suits at Marvel Entertainment want to emulate that success, and carry it forward in sequel after sequel.

THEREFORE...look for less and less purely "comic-based" LEGENDS (eventually NONE), and more and more movie-based Marvel figs.

If true, of course...If not...Well, that'd be peachy, too!

Now...Who was that very bright, insightful board member?

#US1#

IMST

IF true... which it likely isn't, said board member would be less in the 'insightful' category and more in the 'I hate everything Hasbro and expect the worst'. Even if that actually came to something months after the fact, it really doesn't mean a whole lot.

Besides, said board member is so used to patting himself on the back for every little thing he says or does, I doubt any of us could do it correctly.

Hey, that's my site! I wrote that!

The article is about Icons, not the standard Marvel Legends line. I thought it was pretty clear that I was just posting about the cancellation of the Icons line, and then speculating for the sake of discussion on what that might bode for Marvel Legends proper. Those who made it through to the end would have seen the "I hope we'll find out something for sure at NYCC" line. Shrug.

It is a business decision that will have to be made. They are looking at how well the movie figures are selling and what kind of revenue it generates. Then see if it is plausible to keep making Marvel Legends action figures with the marginal revenue generates. They saw the Icons are not making much money, so they cancelled. Any product that doesn't make any splash in revenue eventually gets the axe. Prepare yourselves and enjoy it while the gettin's good . . . . . or buy more ML figures to keep it going. Ugly figures or not !