Hasbro raises prices on Joes

Jeff

Following up from the thread about Wal-Mart raising prices on Joes, it looks like the price increase may have come all the way from the top. Saw this at BBTS.

Hasbro has raised the wholesale price of all single GI Joe figures by 25%, we were able to order this wave just before the price increase went into place. We suggest preordering sooner rather than later, once the preorder sells out, our next restock will be at the higher price of $59.99.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

Like I said in the Walmart thread.

Price increases are rarely due to "greediness" on the retailers part.

As gas rises, manufacturers and distributors raise their prices to compensate, thus forcing retailers to do the same in order to keep their margins up.

But greed is a little part, granted the line is taking off and now going to be more expensive than star wars. I was in walmart yesterday and noticed that you could buy one of the CORPS 12" figures for $6. 84 cents cheaper than the 4 inch joe figures. Also a 3 pack of the corps figures is $3.98, almost $3 dollars cheaper than a single joe figure.

Then again the WWE 3 3/4 line is $6.84 per figure and it is new and I don't think taking off.

Hasbro should come out with a statement though to explain why we got a 25% increase to justify themselves so we don't feel so gyped, and not to alienate us. I know I will keep collecting regardless, it might be a little harder though.

What I don't get out here is that in SD the stores don't have layaway, which would help. Back in podunk pa wallyworld's had layaway.

Wherever the increase is coming from I am unwilling to pay it. Not that I am trying to slight the line because it is great. I just cannot justify buying these anymore. I already have a sizeable Joe army and I will put my $ towards that so I can continue to increase the size of that army. I have already sold my 25th figs. Sucks...I hope all of you guys that still collect them have fun!

But greed is a little part, granted the line is taking off and now going to be more expensive than star wars. I was in walmart yesterday and noticed that you could buy one of the CORPS 12" figures for $6. 84 cents cheaper than the 4 inch joe figures. Also a 3 pack of the corps figures is $3.98, almost $3 dollars cheaper than a single joe figure.

Then again the WWE 3 3/4 line is $6.84 per figure and it is new and I don't think taking off.

Hasbro should come out with a statement though to explain why we got a 25% increase to justify themselves so we don't feel so gyped, and not to alienate us. I know I will keep collecting regardless, it might be a little harder though.

What I don't get out here is that in SD the stores don't have layaway, which would help. Back in podunk pa wallyworld's had layaway.

Well Hasbro's perogative is to gain a profit from their products-just like any business or person in a capitalist society.

Calling it greed isn't an accurate label, because ALL of us have that motivation in the modern world. I mean.......should they produce this stuff at a loss just to keep you and me happy? Not exactly fair that is.

The Corps figures can be sold at $3.98 because they have been producing the same basic figures and accessories non-stop for several years now. They can offer their product in bulk, at discount simply because their molds have long since paid for themselves.

They use very little new tooling, and when they do, they make the most of it. Hasbro also has a constant re-use strategy, but nowhere near like that of Lanard's.

Reast assured that is oil prices have creeped up to very high levels, then the overall costs of plastics has indeed gone up.

Hasbro appears to be raising their prices to a plateau level where they expect them to remain for the foreseeable future, rather than bump prices up in smaller increments in shorter increments of time.

i bet half of you cant even define "Greedy" without looking up websters.

The Price increase is due to Oil. Plastic, gas to transport, packaging... everything combined

equals higher costs.. its due to that.. not hasbro being greedy.

i have RAH MOC figures with 5.99 price tags from 1985.. at this point

we should consider our updated remarkable figs a deal at the same price 23 years later.

So if they are raising the price of figures by 25% because of cost then shouldn't they be raising prices all acroos the board, ie the price of Star Wars, marvel Legends and everything else? Though this could explain why the $15 price for the uncoming Marvel Legends Hulk series that has been floating around.

So if they are raising the price of figures by 25% because of cost then shouldn't they be raising prices all acroos the board, ie the price of Star Wars, marvel Legends and everything else? Though this could explain why the $15 price for the uncoming Marvel Legends Hulk series that has been floating around.

Star Wars has been rumored to hit around a $7.99 MSRP and I would assume that would come around July 26th when the Clone Wars/Legacy items come out.

Yes, prices are going up across the board - it's been awhile coming. The need to show/make profit, transportation (fuel) costs, and production (plastic is a by-product of oil) costs are all to blame. I am surprised it took so long.

I was in walmart today, and saw the wave 4 destro on card. It looks bad ass, but pretty much is the same thing from the 5 pack, and I have to tell you, I had a hard time deciding if I wanted it that bad to pay $7 bucks for after tax. Basically it is for the card. I still want the wave 4 storm shadow on card as well, but hope to find him for $6 someplace. I did place my order through BBTS for the latest wave, and think I got it in on time. I hate the fact that the prices went up like that, and might have to squash dreams of army buidling and be selective with the figures I get. I did buy the destro BTW. I won't stop collecting, and will try to get all the figures I can and still try to army build if I can, just not in the mass I was hoping for.

Hopefully I can find most of the stuff at target so I can still get the 5 bucks off.

Even were it not across the board and just with the 25th line, I honestly think it's justified. The line generally sells out like crazy. All it does is give greater incentive to scalpers. (Sure, scalper thinking hasn't made sense from the beginning -- the costs to find and hunt these things down before anyone else can get them, particularly in high urban areas, would far outweigh any "profit", but none of this has stopped them yet. This will put a little more pressure on them.)

And sure, there are regions where few probably buy them so they warm pegs aplenty, though my suspicion is that there are many more regions where supply is extremely short. The retail prices have been rather below the market price. On top of the oil prices affecting plastics and transportation costs, let's also not forget inflation (real or CPI, take your pick), which has been trending up and is going to accelerate with the coming tax checks..

Eh....what can ya do? You can stop buying them (as mentioned already here), for you army builders - buy less, or just keep buying at the same level you are accepting the price increase. I've never been much of an army builder, so I will fall into the last group. I am not willing to give up on my hobby that easy.