Storm Shadow, Joe or Cobra?

T-Rat

Do you prefer Storm Shadow as a Joe or a Cobra?

I always liked Storm Shadow as a Cobra. To me that who he always be. He Cobra all the way.

He should be Cobra all the way!! His uniforms kick ass either way, but yes who else is going to give snake eyes a run for his money? It is cool when they fight together, but then the odds are against cobra, and we can't have that @wink@ .

I liked him as a Joe, I think his uniform looks better on the v.2 figure.

Storywise he's always a COBRA to me though.

Ditto.

How can you say he should be a Cobra when Hama always intended him to be a Joe, a good guy. He is a noble, honest, trustworthy man, that is something Cobra is not.

So yes Joe, just like the man intended!

Draven

Just because he's a good guy, doesn't mean he's a Joe. To me he's a free agent. In a "classical" sense if you will, he's working for Cobra, but I tend to keep my "Joe-verse" in the era before he quit them, if that makes sense.

I was always a fan of Joe Storm Shadow. I really enjoyed his V2 and V3 costumes. I can't, however, write off Cobra Storm Shadow either, but I suppose if I HAVE to have a preference it is, as I stated, him as a Joe.

I prefer him as a Joe since I am a bit sick of the 80s american martial arts cliche where foreign newcommers come to a dojo, becomes a more superior martial artist than master's son or relative, master's son/relative becomes jealous and goes to the dark side.

My personal opinion is that Storm Shadow needs to be allied with Cobra, because he's an iconic character that way. It just doesn't work as well when he changes sides.

However, like the other Cobra Hierarchy, Storm Shadow has his own motivations and loyalties. For my money, Storm Shadow's over-arcing storyline would be one of revenge against the assassin who killed his Uncle. Originally, he believed it to be Snake-Eyes and joined Cobra to oppose him. But after years of hatred, Snake-Eyes gives Stormy a message from the Soft Master, explaining they'd always blamed *him*, leading Storm Shadow to ask his blood brother's forgiveness and trust.

After which, Storm Shadow would spent another long set of years actively seeking out the true assassin, who happens to be another member of the Cobra Hierarchy (we all know who). Once he knows this, he bides his time waiting for the right moment to have his revenge, keeping him among Cobra for as long as possible.

Once that storyline plays out, however, Storm Shadow should become his own faction, like Destro and Zartan. Perhaps not an army, but a few close allies that make up a neutral entity that could aid GIJoe on one day, then pull a job for Destro the next. Logically, Storm Shadow should have no direct hatred of Cobra Commander, and possibly even sympathize/agree with some of his goals. His allegience to all sides should be strong, and yet strained by trust.

His is probably the trickiest character to nail down in that respect...

I never liked the fact they had to brain wash him in the Marvel run to become a Cobra again. What they should have done with Storm Shadow was to make him a double agent. Either working for Cobra to spy on the Joes or vice versa. That way he could be both.

Do you prefer Storm Shadow as a Joe or a Cobra?

I always liked Storm Shadow as a Cobra. To me that who he always be. He Cobra all the way.

I loved the original figure of him as a Cobra, but loved the storyline behind his change to the Joes. Before the Joe vs Cobra line came out, there had only been 1 figure of him released as a Cobra agent. The rest were all as a Joe, so I got used to him being a good guy.

As for the argument of him being a good person with honor, they have portrayed Zartan in a similar way too, but he has always remained with Cobra. Although I have always figured Cobra Commander had something over him to make him stay.

Actually, DDP never played it up, but Zartan running the Dreadnoks and returning to Cobra in their series was directly related to the Brain Implant activated in Marvel 145. Devil's Due neglected that Destro and Zartan's mind control was not created by the Brainwave Scanner, and when they collaborated with Larry Hama on Frontline #1-4, they never exlained why crashing the Scanner with a virus would have any effect on those two.

So, in effect, nothing *did* happen to them. Destro only left Cobra to be with the Baroness after she got un-zombified, possibly shaking the implant's hold the same way Baroness overcame the Scanner in Marvel #122. But Zartan, who had been on the outs with the Dreadnoks since Marvel #84, suddenly returns to them with no explanation or reason...

My take is that Zartan *is* a schizophrenic, and major traumatic moments in his life trigger these radically different personas we've seen:

1) Zartan is a punk rolling pool sharks when he's recruited by Cobra Commander

2) His wicked heart is healed by Onihashi

3) The ritual suicide of Onihashi turns him back into a punk, he falls in with the Dreadnoks

4) Killing Blind Master, who reveals Onihashi forgave Zartan before he died, triggers a return to the benevolent persona

5) The Brain Implant brings back the evil side, but when it eventually fails, Zartan is still left in Evil Z mode...

This is the one and only Storm Shadow to me:

ssv1glory.jpg

Pure Cobra. As the said in the America's Elite comics he's Snake Eye's "oppposite number".

He's more awesome than Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and Batman combined as a Cobra.

cobra all the way

He's a Joe. He only went to Cobra to find out who killed his uncle and was then brainwashed to stay. Storm Shadow belongs fighting alongside Snake Eyes like they started out, not fighting each other. 100% G. I. JOE!

He's a Cobra all the way. The Joes have actually lied to him repeatedly. Not Cobra. Cobra had the right story, and GI Joe made up the rest of the crap because even Snake Eyes wasn't good enough to stop him, and no other Joe was his equal. The Joe's are an evil organization that brainwash the public into believing they are fighting the good fight, when in reality, they are carrying out their own secret agenda to justify their ridiculous salaries and their overall exhistence.