KEATON or BALE? you choose

pooda

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I've thought they have always made a good choice in casting. I liked what Keaton brought to the role and thought he worked really well with what Burton was trying to do. I remember being upset when both Keaton and Burton decided to not do a third one together. But that didn't last long as I really remember looking forward to what Val Kilmer was going to do and I really liked his take on the character. His Bruce Wayne seemed more personable then Keaton's. Again he was signed to three movies and they cut him lose after one, and I was upset again. Clooney was again good casting for what they were doing ("let's throw as much money and stars and mythos in one movie as we can, that will surely make it a hit"). Still I think he would have made a much better Batman if he had played it a little straighter and less comedic. Finally I think Bale has brought back a bit of the intensity that had been missing since Keaton.

Overall I have liked everyone they have put in the suit and would have watched any of the movies with any of the actor in it. I do think that the directors have had more to do with the movies than the actor and while I'll even admit to liking Batman and Robin ( I liked the style of the costumes, could have gone without the nipples though) but think that Schumacher had too much control over it and that Burton should have stayed on as a producer like he did for Batman Forever as that's why I think there was such a big difference in Schumacher directing Batman Forever and then him directing Batman and Robin.

Personally I've thought they have always made a good choice in casting. I liked what Keaton brought to the role and thought he worked really well with what Burton was trying to do. I remember being upset when both Keaton and Burton decided to not do a third one together. But that didn't last long as I really remember looking forward to what Val Kilmer was going to do and I really liked his take on the character. His Bruce Wayne seemed more personable then Keaton's. Again he was signed to three movies and they cut him lose after one, and I was upset again. Clooney was again good casting for what they were doing ("let's throw as much money and stars and mythos in one movie as we can, that will surely make it a hit"). Still I think he would have made a much better Batman if he had played it a little straighter and less comedic. Finally I think Bale has brought back a bit of the intensity that had been missing since Keaton.

Overall I have liked everyone they have put in the suit and would have watched any of the movies with any of the actor in it. I do think that the directors have had more to do with the movies than the actor and while I'll even admit to liking Batman and Robin ( I liked the style of the costumes, could have gone without the nipples though) but think that Schumacher had too much control over it and that Burton should have stayed on as a producer like he did for Batman Forever as that's why I think there was such a big difference in Schumacher directing Batman Forever and then him directing Batman and Robin.

humph.... that's very intresting. i personally diddn't like kelmer or clooney as batman. i thought that kelmer's bruce wayne was kinda lame and he diddnt do the character any justice. while i thought that clooney was a muchy better bruce than val was, i still think that he looked too old for either part. i actually think that the burton films were much better, they were darker and more personal, they was almost like a very mild scary movie. i especially liked the way he made you feel the evil of the characters.

I maintain that the best Batman put to film is Sandy Collora's fan film: Batman-Dead End. Clark Bartram portrays probably the truest version of the Dark Knight ever put to film.
ooohhh! thats a good one! i think that his joker was very scary, i liked that! i also thought that making him look like alex ross's batman was a very nice touch! i really liked it for what it was.....but i couldnt say it was better than the first two batman movies. d@#! i really liked it though!

can I vote for Keaton in Bale's body, or is that asking for to much?
well....that has been considered, but i dont think thats possible(lol) but i would love to see that...really!

I’m personally of the opinion that Bale played the best. I’m a very large fan of Keatons interpretation However, Bale just simply nails both personas, that of the Dark Knight and of millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, with this perfect symmetry. I’m still a diehard Batman (1989) fan, I think it’s become obscenely underrated and irrationally criticized by the more contemporary crowd. Plus it has the best batmobile by far. I just never saw Batman as the shining star of Burtons films. He’s kind of running to play catch-up with the villains. He’s playing second fiddle. Jack Nickelson is actually billed before Keaton, even though Keaton ironically plays the character the film is titled after. The film really is more Jokers then it’s ever been Batman’s. That’s what Nolan did right. He brought the focus to Batman himself, hence why I feel Bale is superior. Batman became the central character of the Batman films…and it was about time.

As for the others, they don’t really exist to me. Batman Returns is the only one I'll even acknowledge. It has it‘s moments great moments. Apart from a few shining aspect though, Peifers incredible performance as Catwoman, the film altogether was too much Burton and not enough Batman. Plus I refuse to call that mutant abomination the Penguin. That’s not any Penguin I’m familiar with. It’s a film that has wonderful scenes but overall is unfortunately scarred by ridiculousness.

I think Clooney was by far the greatest Batman of all time and all others should bow to his Batsuperiority!! Why he didn't get the Oscar for the Bat Credit card scene alone makes me question the Oscar process!! All Hail Clooney!!

I think Clooney was by far the greatest Batman of all time and all others should bow to his Batsuperiority!! Why he didn't get the Oscar for the Bat Credit card scene alone makes me question the Oscar process!! All Hail Clooney!!

By the way....I lied lol. @smilepunch@

I'm personally of the opinion that Bale played the best. I'm a very large fan of Keatons interpretation However, Bale just simply nails both personas, that of the Dark Knight and of millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, with this perfect symmetry. I'm still a diehard Batman (1989) fan, I think it's become obscenely underrated and irrationally criticized by the more contemporary crowd. Plus it has the best batmobile by far. I just never saw Batman as the shining star of Burtons films. He's kind of running to play catch-up with the villains. He's playing second fiddle. Jack Nickelson is actually billed before Keaton, even though Keaton ironically plays the character the film is titled after. The film really is more Jokers then it's ever been Batman's. That's what Nolan did right. He brought the focus to Batman himself, hence why I feel Bale is superior. Batman became the central character of the Batman films…and it was about time.

As for the others, they don't really exist to me. Batman Returns is the only one I'll even acknowledge. It has it's moments great moments. Apart from a few shining aspect though, Peifers incredible performance as Catwoman, the film altogether was too much Burton and not enough Batman. Plus I refuse to call that mutant abomination the Penguin. That's not any Penguin I'm familiar with. It's a film that has wonderful scenes but overall is unfortunately scarred by ridiculousness.

i agree with most of what you said, except that i liked the twist he put on the pinguin. he looks monsterous. but i think the reason nicholas was the star had to do with the fact he was a bigger name. i could be wrong, but thats what i think. i also wanted to comment on what you said about the movies being more about the villians than batman himself. i think that burton exploring more into the villian's pasts is what alot of people needed, because a lot of people dont know the actual history behind alot of them. yes he changed the way the villians looked, and in pinguin's case, most of his orgin. thats no different than what has been going on with comics for a long time now, and add the fact that hollywood tries to make movies appeal to people who dont read comics, but know who the character is. i think that adding the dept of waynes loss and how he turned fear into power was great, people needed to see that, but...the fact that were dealing with a comic movie dosent allow people to see the real life danger some of these characters impose. example:( my mother knows who the joker is, she has seen him on scooby doo, the tv seires, and the superfriends. when she seen that the(1989 movie) joker squirted acid in his girlfriends face and then threw her from a window....she had an whole new outlook) i realized that a movie can have realistic changes, if they helps tell the story in a way everyone can understand. think about it, how many times do you think someone has sat back and said," how does he dodge bullets?" or "why dosent he get shot" and it took burton to do a common sense change, a full body armor. oh and 4 the record...the 1989 batmobile was the best!

ADAM WEST!!!!

Yea, I'd have to agree for the one-two punch for Bruce Wayne AND Batman, West wins out as the most entertaining of all the actors to play the role. He's my sentimental favourite.

That's right ......Forget the American Psycho and Beetlejuice....and Iceman and the ER doctor
yeah...Adam west is a smooth bruce wayne. i liked him as batman too. YEAH! A+ FOR ADAM!!!

i know you guys seen equalibrium,( or however its spelled)bale showed some nice fighting skills! do you think that it would nice to see that kind of fighting in future batman movies? i didnt like the camera work on the fight scenes in batman begins, thats why i said something.(not to be off subject) bale can do much better fight scenes than keaton, but...keaton's mild comedy as bruce wayne out shines bale's authenic bruce wayne look. but i still cant decide which is the best.

I would still say Keaton. He just brought more complexity and mystery to the Batman/Bruce Wayne character. Every actor and director had a different approach to the Batman mythology.

Adam West was a pretty straight forward portrait. Batman is a superhero that always does that right thing and Bruce Wayne is a simple rich billionaire.

Val Kilmer and Clooney.... well, they worked with they were given I guess.

Then the popular choice, Christian Bale. He really did a good job of playing a modern age Batman. His performance for Bruce Wayne and Batman are really well done and I have nothing more to add. I understand why people like him but what I don't understand is why people forget that Keaton also was able to play a good Bruce Wayne and Batman. It's hard to say who's better because both movies try to give a different portrait of Batman. Batman Begins showed a Batman in modern continuity while Batman89 was about the Dark Knight in the 40s. Bale really captures the Batman in modern comics but Keaton really added a mystery quality to the character that Bale really lacked. It doesn't necessarily make Bales performance worse but Keaton's Batman stayed true to the early Batman comics.

For the 2 Burton movies, people still complain that there wasn't enough Batman but in Burton's point of view, Batman is a character that likes to be hidden. He only shows up when Gotham needs him, gets the job done and leave. It's how Batman works in the early stories. Penguin being a mutant didn't bother me that much. His comic origin was too boring anyway. Catwoman was great and I'm hoping we can see a new Catwoman in the Nolan's Batman movies soon. Burtons movies still has the best mechanic designs. Keaton still drove the best Batmobile. Makes me feel sorry for Bale. Great Batman, great film BUT an ugly er....... tank? or 4 wheels covered will a pile of metal.