One thing about "X-Men: First Class" that bugs me...

stormfan

... Is how the stories are supposed to be the untold tales of the original 5 X-Men. Not an alternate universe. Instead, Bobby Drake is constantly talking about email and other current technology.

This bother anyone else that reads it?

well there really hasn't been an offical set of how long the characters have been around in marvel time. since the original xmen have not been around since the 60s marvel time.

it's still a fun series, but i think i'm going to like the new first class series better. well that is probably due to it staring Kitty Pryde.

it basically what happened after they were cancelled and before the "new x-men" team came about. but i agree with you how many storyline can they do before they realise there catching up to the new xmen.

oh and the thing bout bobby and email mean that the story is up to date.

That's the problem with Marvel's 10-year 'sliding timescale'. Supposedly the FF (the first 'modern' Marvel heroes) have only been around for about ten years of comic time, no matter how many years of comics there actually are. Of course, there's tons of pop-culture/history references, given dates, and even ages of the characters themselves that make no sense at all due to this... but it's either that or the FF is eligible for senior citizen's discounts. This is why many Marvel characters who had history involving specific wars (Iron Man and Viet Nam, Juggernaut and the Korean War, even Reed and Ben were WWII vets at one point) is often intentionally made ambiguous these days. Even the Cold War rarely gets brought up anymore. This is also one of several reasons why DC has been 'rebooting' every ten years for the last 3 decades.

Given that this floating timeline would place First Class somewhere around 1999/2000 (since the X-Men came a few years after the FF), it makes perfect sense that Bobby would be using email. An iPod, no... but give it a few years (real time) and that'll change to keep up.

The Wikipedia entry

That's the problem with Marvel's 10-year 'sliding timescale'. Supposedly the FF (the first 'modern' Marvel heroes) have only been around for about ten years of comic time, no matter how many years of comics there actually are. Of course, there's tons of pop-culture/history references, given dates, and even ages of the characters themselves that make no sense at all due to this... but it's either that or the FF is eligible for senior citizen's discounts. This is why many Marvel characters who had history involving specific wars (Iron Man and Viet Nam, Juggernaut and the Korean War, even Reed and Ben were WWII vets at one point) is often intentionally made ambiguous these days. Even the Cold War rarely gets brought up anymore. This is also one of several reasons why DC has been 'rebooting' every ten years for the last 3 decades.

Given that this floating timeline would place First Class somewhere around 1999/2000 (since the X-Men came a few years after the FF), it makes perfect sense that Bobby would be using email. An iPod, no... but give it a few years (real time) and that'll change to keep up.

The Wikipedia entry

also in the Thing series from a few years back by Dan Slott, they said that Ben Grimm had been the thing for 13 years

also in the Thing series from a few years back by Dan Slott, they said that Ben Grimm had been the thing for 13 years

Thirteen, eh? Slott is about as geeky as they come, so I don't really doubt it, but on the other hand, the measuring stick I've always heard is ten. Perhaps Marvel has expanded it because squeezing nearly 50 years into one decade has gotten a little tough.

Could also be that I'm off-base and it's 12 years for the FF and 10 for X-Men, not 10 and 8... but to be honest, since the end point is that there isn't a set year or an actual 40-year history, I'm not sure the difference really matters. Point is, Bobby using email in First Class makes perfect sense, just as having a plasma TV in the next retelling of Spidey's origin will.

it basically what happened after they were cancelled and before the "new x-men" team came about. but i agree with you how many storyline can they do before they realise there catching up to the new xmen.

oh and the thing bout bobby and email mean that the story is up to date.

No, you're thinking of the other X-Men fill-in-the-gaps series that was out a long time ago (X-Men Hidden Years). This takes place before they were cancelled/turned to reprints, and theoretically slides right into pre-existing stories instead of trying to fill in some gap.

If Marvel were to try and give a stricter more accurate story, editorially it would be a nightmare. Take, for instance, take the recent Black Widow/Scarlet Witch/Marvel Girl story. The Scarlet Witch was a full fledged member of the Avengers when a still villainous Black Widow attacked them. It was some time after her battle with the Avengers that she was re-programed and worked with SHIELD.

If you put too fine a point on it, then continuity wise she attacked Iron Man, came to the US, became a good girl sometime between X-Men 4 or 5 or whenever SW left the Brotherhood and Avengers 15-16 (I forget which, I think it was 16) when SW joined the Avengers, assisted SHIELD in recruiting SW, failed, went back to being a bad girl and then both of them forgot the other one when they met in Avengers. And of course, with appearances of Man-Thing and now Machine Man coming up, this all takes place sometime after around Avengers Annual 7/Avengers 167 because Machine Man didn't officially come into the modern day Marvel Universe until that time.

Of course, if you point this out, you're labeled a continuity nerd and burned at the stake by Marvel, but whatever. Marvel's next cross-over Secret Hour: A War In Time Is Not Absolute can fix all that.

I think the trick is to either enjoy the First Class stories as they are without too much thought of how they fit in, or just pretend they're an alternate reality until the OHOTMU men and women can figure out a good way to make it work.