GI Joe price @ WM hiked to 6.84

Pizza Man Z

I noticed this on the Hisstank forums and did not see anyone had posted this on TNI yet. I did not believe it until I went to Wal Mart tonight and found that the price was $6.84. This price is higher than Star Wars figures. The comic packs are still under $10 and they have not gone up, but the singles are $1.96 over what they originally started at. I dislike Wal Mart and now I really do not want to shop there.

This is not an April Fools Joke, unless WM is pulling it on people. I saw it and my wife saw it. We could not believe it. Hisstank has a forum in the 25th Ann. section that is discussing this. Evidently it is wide spread in Wal mart stores.

Thats odd, they were the cheapest, now out of retailers, most expensive. I think they are trying to find the median but are overshooting. Hopefully this isnt permanent. I have better luck at target anyways. And considering we got the 5 dollar coupons until october, I'm set with target or toysrus. I wonder if they will raise prices too. This still doesn't fix the distribution problems.

Meh. That just means they'll be about $7 something here. They started out at $5.86 here and then went to $6.86 (I think) when everyone got their initial price hike. If that's the case, I'll just have to be REALLY patient and wait for my PX to get them, since they are selling them for $4.95 (and no tax to boot).

Everything is getting expensive because of the price of diesel. All the trucks that transport goods use diesel. Walmart may not be able to afford to have loss leaders anymore. Ha I guess this is what price they would be at Walmarts then.

the hell with wal mart!!!!!!! if they want to be greedy find let them be. bbts singles are sounding better anyway. with the preorder wave 7 and 8 collector grade.

Exactly what Goldbug said.

With the price of gas and diesel constantly on the rise, expect everything to start going up.

I'm sure it all starts with Hasbro.

Hasbro has to make these (which the figures themselves are petroleum based), and then distribute them...which takes fuel. Their cost goes up...they charge the retailers more.

Then the retailers have to ship them out of their warehouses to the individual stores (which also uses fuel).

So, the cost of the product goes up for retailers. Most stores usually try to hit a certain margin (percentage of the cost). So, as the cost goes up, they raise retail up to meet their margins.

It's not greed, it's called staying in business and keeping your bottom line up.

I won't be surprised if other retailers start following suit...especially if gas hits the $4.00 mark that some people are saying it's going to by summer. If that happens, I'd expect diesel to be somewhere in the $4.50-$4.75 range.

That's crazy! What ever happened to the Wal*Mart rollbacks?

The price hike due to gas prices going up would make sense if the comic packs went up too, but they did not. Hell, Marvel legends, ninja turtles, Power Rangers and Star Wars are still the same prices that they were last year. This is not inflation, this is gauging. Wal Mart sees them selling off the rack like crazy and they are just trying to cash in on the hype.

What the hell is next, 9.99 Single packs?

Yeah I can confirm its true after walking into WM tonight and finding a nice minty fresh Duke and Guing Ho I needed to complete my older MOC figs(just need Tprpedo now) and they rang up $6.84 and I was like what the hell?!??!?! GRRRRRRR

Draven

That's crazy! What ever happened to the Wal*Mart rollbacks?

@loll@ They are still there. It's the hiked prices that are never talked about by the ads. I bet if they rollback some items others are hiked up.

You know the Star Wars comic packs are still the same too. I wasn't too upset over the 56 cent increase. However this is just way too much.

well we could go the scalper route, buy the figures and some cheap ass imposter figures, swap them out and get a refund lol. But we don't want to stoop to their levels, and I like the figures and the card to pass on the cards. Scalpers probably have to take some blame on that too due to the swaps costing the stores.

Wow. When RAH was out did they raise the prices like this due to popularity?

I know when Star wars came back out in 95 the figures were $5 each. Recently I sold all my star wars and marvel figures, and was going to pick up a star wars figure for old times sake at TRU but I put it back when I saw it was like 7 or 8 bucks.

Well seeing as none of my walmart seems to want to stock the single packs I wont have to worry about the price hikes. Oh they have the pegs out for them and all, and they have the comic packs stocked damn near every other week, but no they refuse to stock the single packs. Same goes for my TRUS and Targets. I hate Maryland

I would actually corollate it with the falling dollar, due to the fact that petro is linked to dollars so its more the devaluing of the dollar that is

causing all our toy woes. Cost of everything goes up with inflation, but our salaries do not adjust as rapidly so it sucks for us, the dollar doesnt stretch as far as it once did.

Well seeing as none of my walmart seems to want to stock the single packs I wont have to worry about the price hikes. Oh they have the pegs out for them and all, and they have the comic packs stocked damn near every other week, but no they refuse to stock the single packs. Same goes for my TRUS and Targets. I hate Maryland

Hey Zod....just sent ya a PM.

Just remember folks---for all those complaining about price hikes and such--that the line needs to sell at the MSRP to survive.

Everytime you "wait 'til it goes on discount, etc" you are NOT supporting a line, but helping to kill it.

Those discount sales and prices that everyone loves mean the product has tanked, and there will not be any more of it.

If the price increases by a buck...........big deal--at least its not a $10 increase or more.

Same here, they've had empty single card racks for weeks here but the comic packs are usually full.

Hasbro has to make these (which the figures themselves are petroleum based), and then distribute them...which takes fuel. Their cost goes up...they charge the retailers more.

Then the retailers have to ship them out of their warehouses to the individual stores (which also uses fuel).

So, the cost of the product goes up for retailers. Most stores usually try to hit a certain margin (percentage of the cost). So, as the cost goes up, they raise retail up to meet their margins.

It's not greed, it's called staying in business and keeping your bottom line up.

Seeing as my wife is a long-haul trucker--the above is undeniably so.

See, as fuel costs rise, other costs rise around that.

Yea, the cost of petroleum to make the plastic increases as well, but so do the costs to move ANYTHING related to the manufacturing of all the products related to something as prosaic as a toy.

Its cost s more for fuel to truck the bulk plastic to the factories to use, to move the finished product from the factory to the ship, for fuel for the ship, for all the trucked supplies to equipp, fead, cloth and staff the previous.....and the ships not even set sail yet.

Once it gets over here......all those costs start ringing up again and those margins decrease--and the prices start climbing.

Its all interwoven to an incredible degree. For example--if that "threatened" truckers strike last week , to protest rising fuel costs, had been a general strike and every trucker in North America pulled over- commerce would grind to a halt. It would only take 3-7 days of no transport haulers on the roads to obliterate the economy.

As long as those goods keep moving, a price hike of a buck or so is nothing to fuss over.

I don't mean to sound like an a-hole but I've been paying 5.99 for every figure I've bought from the 25th line.......thats what they have been at Target from the day they came out. The one Wal-mart that is closest to my house still doesn't even carry the 25th figures. Its like 6 bucks and some change for the figures after tax. Yeah, the 6.84 price is a little more that what I've been paying but I never even got a chance to cash in on the 4.88 price point that they were at.

Personally, I'm blaming Bush.......... @rambo@