Marvel Legends Cancelled?

mckul33

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, so some of you actually believed they were going to release Santa Claws Wolverine???

...really???

Scary thought, isn't it?

And to think I have a perfectly good bridge in NYC for sale--and no takers yet....I'll give a STEEP discount too!

Wait, so some of you actually believed they were going to release Santa Claws Wolverine???

...really???

Scary thought, isn't it?

And to think I have a perfectly good bridge in NYC for sale--and no takers yet....I'll give a STEEP discount too!

I give you five dolla!

...really???

Scary thought, isn't it?

I give you five dolla!

FIFTEEN Dolla, and I'll throw in th' daily gridlock as a bonus! Schwwweeeeeeeeeeet deeeeaaaalll!!!!

And don't go tellin' me that Sebben Lebben down th' street has it for TWO FIFTY!

In all fairness, he is the only 'way, way out there' character in the list. The others are somewhat plausible, but would frankly fail as a wave- none of those characters (save Wolvie) are big enough headliners to grab any attention.

It's also worth noting that at this rate, series 6 would be out just in time for the holidays. It's not terribly hard to believe that an X-Mas (pun intended) themed figure could be made, as there is precedent- back in the heady days of Toy Biz 5" figures, there was a Christmas-themed Spider-Man/Mary Jane 2-pack.

However, such a figure would likely be an exclusive (as the 5" set I mention was) rather than a slot-filler in a normal wave.

None of that really amounts to 'believe' though. I think some were simply wishful that their third-string most-wanteds might have actually had a chance.

In all fairness, he is the only 'way, way out there' character in the list. The others are somewhat plausible, but would frankly fail as a wave- none of those characters (save Wolvie) are big enough headliners to grab any attention.

It's also worth noting that at this rate, series 6 would be out just in time for the holidays. It's not terribly hard to believe that an X-Mas (pun intended) themed figure could be made, as there is precedent- back in the heady days of Toy Biz 5" figures, there was a Christmas-themed Spider-Man/Mary Jane 2-pack.

However, such a figure would likely be an exclusive (as the 5" set I mention was) rather than a slot-filler in a normal wave.

None of that really amounts to 'believe' though. I think some were simply wishful that their third-string most-wanteds might have actually had a chance.

i don't know bout that Xavier could be up there. who hasn't heard of him after the movies?

i don't know bout that Xavier could be up there. who hasn't heard of him after the movies?

Did the Spider-Man movies push the sales of ML Green Goblin? Not terribly likely. Those who are fans of the movie would want a movie version... Astral Xavier doesn't match anything from the movie screen.

That's not to say that there aren't some who get into the movies, cartoons, or even the video games, jump to the comics, and then want figures based on them. However, going by over a dozen comic shop owners, this is a very rare occurrence. In fact, several of them related stories of potential customers walking in and going "Oh, they have X-Men (or similar property) comics now? Did they start those because of the movie?" Of course, explaining that there is a 40-year history to the characters is pretty silly at that point- if the person cared enough to get into the comics, they probably would have known prior to walking in, and gone there FOR those comics.

I've seen multiple comments and threads over the years asking why we don't have an ML Morph from the X-Men cartoon. Often the person will state Morph's "importance" to the X-Men and honestly have no clue that he was a rehash of a third-string villain created for the series, that it's been well over a decade since the cartoon was new, and that even when the character showed up in the comics, he looked nothing like the cartoon. They just remember the character from the cartoon they used to watch (or still catch on reruns occasionally), and assume that he must be in the comics somewhere, and thus deserves a figure.

For a similar reason, many still consider the nonsensical pouch-laden Jim Lee designs to be the 'best' X-Men costumes, despite the fact that none of the X-Men were still wearing those costumes in the comics by the time the show went off the air. This is also the reason we keep seeing reissue after reissue of Spider-Man movie figures... They aren't selling them to the comic fans or even the collectors; they're selling them to the movie fans, the ones who don't care about the comic versions that the average Marvel Legends collector wants.

This is both the strength and the curse of comic-based figures: the more media the property is used in, the more you can sell to the non-comic readers, but those are the fans who want only specific characters in specific styles and could care less about the rest. Some very popular characters (Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc) can sell regardless of the customer familiarity, but they are the exception. The solution that is getting used more and more is simply to put the character in other media in as many looks as possible- Ultimate Alliance didn't have all those costumes just for the 'cool factor', but for exposure among video game fans who might play a superhero video game, but not necessarily read a comic book.

You remember Toy Fair a month and a half ago? Hasbro displayed new ML figures and new ML spin-off lines. Obviously ML is not cancelled. In fact, it's growing.

You remember Toy Fair a month and a half ago? Hasbro displayed new ML figures and new ML spin-off lines. Obviously ML is not cancelled. In fact, it's growing.

Obviously you remember wrong, because they displayed the new Hulk Line, Hulk Movie Line, Iron Man Movie Line, and the ML Two Packs. As myself and others have previously said, none of those are the core line of "Marvel Legends", they are branches of that line.

Not that I'm saying HML4 is for sure cancelled...I'm sure it's not cancelled at all, just saying they didn't show any new product from the "Marvel Legends" line at Toyfair.

LOL, you know I was thinking about this yesterday. Even though this particular list was done as a April Fools joke, the fact is, lists like this get posted all the time on message boards and even some news sites. With no verfication and just some mention of a so-called "secret source" and sadly it seems like many people are perfectly willing to beileve it without even batting an eye.

LOL, you know I was thinking about this yesterday. Even though this particular list was done as a April Fools joke, the fact is, lists like this get posted all the time on message boards and even some news sites. With no verfication and just some mention of a so-called "secret source" and sadly it seems like many people are perfectly willing to beileve it without even batting an eye.

Especially on April Fool's day, which is ESPECIALLY sad.