Who thinks Hasbro should start over with 3 3/4" line?

DrOctavius

Hasbro's new Incredible Hulk movie figures look to be a repeat of the Spider-man 3 peg-warmers which are STILL clogging the aisles.

Their strength continues to be Star Wars and G.I. Joe 3 3/4" figures, so why not start an all new, all-inclusive line like this for Marvel?

I for one am sick of Marvel Legends...I'm ready for something new. Dazzle me.

A brand new 3 3/4" line of classically styled figures on cardbacks using original cover art, or including new Super Powers type mini-comics...

These would be a smash hit. C'mon Hasbro...step up to the challenge.

i for one have invested to much time and money into my legends collection. if they move away from 6 inch i am all for crucifying the hasbro decsion makers and also all people who have suggested such

starting over would make me cry (and everyones parenst who suggested we start over also)

i for one have invested to much time and money into my legends collection. if they move away from 6 inch i am all for crucifying the hasbro decsion makers and also all people who have suggested such

starting over would make me cry (and everyones parenst who suggested we start over also)

I see your point...but many of the Legends figures Hasbro is doing have already been done, and better. Even amongst the Legends, there are large variations in the levels and types of articulation, scales, sculpting styles, etc. I just think a new, cohesive line is needed. A smaller scale would also be more cost effective, and in my opinion, more fun. 3 3/4 is the standard for Star Wars and G.I. Joe...so why not superheroes?

My issue with that is a simple one: why?

Why should they make a 3 3/4 line? The major benefit of smaller figures is the ability to make vehicles. Marvel has what, half a dozen signature vehicles? Maybe 3 actually feasible playsets? We'd probably see more military-themed heroes so that Hasbro could reuse GI Joe molds, which has its pros and cons.

I do agree that Hasbro's strength is that scale... but I'm just not sold on the idea that having that scale would actually be better, or that there would be actual benefit.

i will NOT buy any other scale than 6 inch as i have put alot of time into collecting the 6 inch scale figures from the marvel legends line, if they were to chuck the line and bring in a new 3 3/4 inch line instead i would quit collecting, no way am i wasting money.

i will NOT buy any other scale than 6 inch as i have put alot of time into collecting the 6 inch scale figures from the marvel legends line, if they were to chuck the line and bring in a new 3 3/4 inch line instead i would quit collecting, no way am i wasting money.

I want to make it clear that I am not picking on you... but I'd like to use this to make a point. People said that about changing from 5" to 6" scale. People have said that about Icons, Superhero Showdown/Marvel Legends Showdown, Superhero Squad, Unleashed, etc, etc, etc. Every time a new product scale is introduced, a portion of the fans are devoutly opposed to it.

And you know what happens? Those people either keep their word and don't collect it, or they find a reason to buy it anyway. Meanwhile, new collectors spring up, replacing those who were lost.

So while I do not doubt you for a second, there is easily a good portion of this board who wouldn't have a problem, or would suck it up and start the collection over because... well, they are collectors, and that's what they do. Then there would be new people who get into it because they like the new scale, it fits with their GI Joes, Star Wars, etc.

Again, in no way am I trying to pick on you. I'm just making the point that if you (and the dozens of others who have made comments almost exactly like this) stopped collecting... things would go on. The line will sell with or without you, and given that the last attempt at 3-4" figures was overpriced to be packed with a terrible game, there's even a chance that it would sell better in a new scale. Of course, there's really no sign/need for them to drop 6" completely; they could just do them side-by-side as Mattel will be.

That's not to say you're not necessary or that Hasbro doesn't care about you. What I'm trying to say is that if they decide to actually change the scale, rather than have a companion 3 3/4" line (as I'd prefer), the odds are very good that it will be just as -and probably more- successful than Marvel Legends. It is of course your decision whether you like it and/or want to collect it, but your choice is going to come down to sitting there with a bunch of old figures and no new stuff ever, or getting the new stuff and starting again.

I really want to stress that I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong in any way. I'm just throwing out hypothetical comments here. To be honest, as I said above, I'm not sure where I fall on this, so I'm certainly not judging you. Between the massive 5" collection I used to have and my current 6" collection, I've spent thousands on Marvel figures in the last decade, and I'm not exactly keen on changing it all up again.

Well if the articulation and detail was there I would be all for it. I have limited display space and 6" figures take up more room. I don't even have room to display all the 6" figures I have now and have cut back my purchases for that very reason. It's also the reason I don't collect 12" figures at all. I was very excited about the Super Hero Showdown figures when they were first announced, but the quality at least for the first couple waves was not there and on top of that the cost was not worth what you got in return. Starting over doesn't bother me either, it happens all the time in toylines. I invested alot of money in Toy Biz' 5" line back in the day but it didn't stop me from trying out the 6" line when it started. ML has had a good run and it may very well continue for years to come (hopefully at least till I get my USAgent figure) but nothing lasts forever and seems to me anyone not willing to even consider something new is being very close minded.

If they kept the 6" line, I would have no problem with a separate 3 3/4" line.

I loved the Showdown figures...even though the quality sucked.

I'd love to see an all new line done in 3 3/4", as long as they were fully articulated, and had great sculpts.

My issue with that is a simple one: why?

Why should they make a 3 3/4 line? The major benefit of smaller figures is the ability to make vehicles. Marvel has what, half a dozen signature vehicles? Maybe 3 actually feasible playsets? We'd probably see more military-themed heroes so that Hasbro could reuse GI Joe molds, which has its pros and cons.

I do agree that Hasbro's strength is that scale... but I'm just not sold on the idea that having that scale would actually be better, or that there would be actual benefit.

And to that I reply a simple answer: why not?

I'm fairly certain (or maybe I'm completely wrong), but I always take this type of statement as adding a companion line to the already extensive collection of Marvel Legends (both Toy Biz and Hasbro) that have been produced. There is no need to feel that a 6" and a 3-3/4" line of the same figures can't run along side each other in harmony.

A 1:18th scale can do more than just give a better hope at vehicles and playsets (if Hasbro ever deems this to be a good idea again.) They are, like JayC said, smaller and allow for more to be displayed. They would, after all, take up about half as much space. Also, smaller figures would equal into smaller costs (both for them and to us) and most likely allow more figures be available. I, of course, am basing this assumption on how many figures/vehicles get put out every year with Star Wars and now with the 25th Anniversary GI Joe reboot.

A small scale could lead to more obscure characters as well due to being able to kick out more figures. You could also get Battlepacks much like Star Wars and GI Joe have seen.

This biggest concern I have is will they be good quality? I would hope so seeing as Hasbro has two very large properties (with a 3rd on the way in the guise of Indiana Jones) that both do quite well and are both heavily articulated, well sculpted, painted, and detailed.

I, by no means, want to see the current line be canceled out, but I would personal jump ship for a smaller scale.

I'm fairly certain (or maybe I'm completely wrong), but I always take this type of statement as adding a companion line to the already extensive collection of Marvel Legends (both Toy Biz and Hasbro) that have been produced. There is no need to feel that a 6" and a 3-3/4" line of the same figures can't run along side each other in harmony.

And that I'm all for. My hypotheticals are posed at the idea of replacing ML with a line half its current size.

A 1:18th scale can do more than just give a better hope at vehicles and playsets (if Hasbro ever deems this to be a good idea again.) They are, like JayC said, smaller and allow for more to be displayed. They would, after all, take up about half as much space.

While this is a practical application from the collector standpoint, it is not necessarily one from the company standpoint. The original purpose of the 3 3/4" scale was very much to make vehicles and playsets cost-effective to the company making them... Marvel doesn't have that sort of necessity. Quite frankly, we could probably expect a few vehicles, but I'd rather keep 6" and never get a Quinjet than go to 4" and get absurdities like the Secret Wars Doom Roller when Hasbro runs out of ideas.

Also, smaller figures would equal into smaller costs (both for them and to us) and most likely allow more figures be available. I, of course, am basing this assumption on how many figures/vehicles get put out every year with Star Wars and now with the 25th Anniversary GI Joe reboot.

The level of parts reuse and repainted figures in the GI Joe line is already drawing severe criticism. The line already has six Snake-Eyes and five Storm Shadow figures in it- in one year, they have exceeded the original line (1982-1994)! Can you imagine the Hasbro-hate threads that would start if we received 6 Wolverines in one year? People already complain about getting the Bullseye mold half a dozen times. Now, parts reuse is an inevitable fact of the toy industry, but it would likely only pick up with a smaller scale. Sure, we might get more figures, but more of them would be based on the same simple molds, which would in turn lead to more people complaining.

I, by no means, want to see the current line be canceled out, but I would personal jump ship for a smaller scale.

I wouldn't jump, but again, I'd be all for a companion line. Of course, even that will have pros and cons. Even now we get complaints that more attention is being paid to Superhero Squad than in ML.

I think it's a good idea personally... I just don't want to see 6" suffer as a result, and I'm not a fan of what such a thing would do to this already-divided board.

While this is a practical application from the collector standpoint, it is not necessarily one from the company standpoint. The original purpose of the 3 3/4" scale was very much to make vehicles and playsets cost-effective to the company making them... Marvel doesn't have that sort of necessity. Quite frankly, we could probably expect a few vehicles, but I'd rather keep 6" and never get a Quinjet than go to 4" and get absurdities like the Secret Wars Doom Roller when Hasbro runs out of ideas.

I suppose I have found memories of the Secret Wars line and the many random vehicles and bases that were offered. Sure, they weren't Hasbro... or canon for the most part. But neat none the less (and really - Tower of Doom? Awesome!). And it's less on the side vehicles and more on the side of playsets and the like. Sure, you have the Quinjet, Fantasticar, Blackbird, Punisher's Van, one of Black Knight's many mounts. But you could have have parts of the Danger Room, Baxter Building, Avengers Mansion, Castle Doom. Yeah, its all pipe dreams - but it's fun to dream.

The level of parts reuse and repainted figures in the GI Joe line is already drawing severe criticism. The line already has six Snake-Eyes and five Storm Shadow figures in it- in one year, they have exceeded the original line (1982-1994)! Can you imagine the Hasbro-hate threads that would start if we received 6 Wolverines in one year? People already complain about getting the Bullseye mold half a dozen times. Now, parts reuse is an inevitable fact of the toy industry, but it would likely only pick up with a smaller scale. Sure, we might get more figures, but more of them would be based on the same simple molds, which would in turn lead to more people complaining.

Parts usage is inevitable and if it works - then why not? I never understand the collectors' dismay at reusable parts. Older toy lines thrived off of this and if 2 ( or 3 or 10) characters have the same basic build or costume or the ability to have reused parts - then I say have at it. More figures for me. Yeah, the massive amounts of Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadows/Cobra Commanders are over whelming, but the 25th line was received a lot better than expected and Hasbro did a lot of quick repaints and parts reusage to keep the hype alive.

I wouldn't jump, but again, I'd be all for a companion line. Of course, even that will have pros and cons. Even now we get complaints that more attention is being paid to Superhero Squad than in ML.

I think it's a good idea personally... I just don't want to see 6" suffer as a result, and I'm not a fan of what such a thing would do to this already-divided board.

I don't want to see the 6" line suffer due to it either - I'd rather it be a lot like Toy Biz's SHS, but better quality and last longer. This board will always be divided on something. People hated Toy Biz's Marvel Legends, then they hated Hasbro's Marvel Legends, then they will hate something else. Hey, look on the bright side - we'll get a new slew of Anti-Hasbro threads with new complaints and concerns. That would at least lessen up on the monotony.

Parts usage is inevitable and if it works - then why not? I never understand the collectors' dismay at reusable parts. Older toy lines thrived off of this and if 2 ( or 3 or 10) characters have the same basic build or costume or the ability to have reused parts - then I say have at it. More figures for me. Yeah, the massive amounts of Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadows/Cobra Commanders are over whelming, but the 25th line was received a lot better than expected and Hasbro did a lot of quick repaints and parts reusage to keep the hype alive.

Oh, I don't have a huge problem with parts reuse and repaints myself. I'm just making a point about the complaining that would go on. It's pretty much a given that half the people at this board would hate 1985. The level of parts reuse in lines like Secret Wars, Masters of the Universe, and yes, GI Joe, would have just killed them.

If it was a good mold the first time, then it's a good mold the second, third, and even tenth time. Quite frankly, as a customizer it would be hypocritical of me not to support such a thing, but even aside from that, as long as it makes sense and it gets me more characters, I'm all for it.

Again, I'm not against a smaller line. I just think that having both is a more ideal situation than one over the other. Hasbro would actually increase sales by catering to two different preferences AND those who would buy both (I'm willing to admit I probably fall there). Even better, I'd be interested to see if they could take the molds from one scale and shrink/enlarge them to the other. It would avoid the sort of "this sculpt is better than the one we got at this scale" debates we see about Icons... although I have no clue if it would actually save any money for Hasbro.

Start over? No.

Whether Hasbro would miss my business or not, I would stop collecting if Legends as we know them came to an end. However...a simultaneous 3 3/4 line would allow the 'Bro to cash in further on the Marvel license without ending the current Legends line. It would also allow for cool collector requested items like the Quinjet, Blackbird or even a (well executed) Danger Room.

I think starting over is a bit of a harsh way to end the line. Toybiz sorta...slowly moved the size up. Even before the Spider-Man legends the regular toybiz figures were getting a bit larger than when I was real little. They started around the Secret Wars size and steadily went up until they hit the 6 inch, which is around the time when folks like me grew up and wanted something more poseable, than the original guys, to screw around with. I suppose they came at the right time, and they went with it.

Any sort of "do-over" would be a crazy jump. As it's been said above, I think a line side-by-side with the current one would do a bit better. However, personally, I don't see what 3 3/4 could do for a superhero line. The Joes and Star Wars line are more...buildable. You can get little armies of storm troopers or cobras and set them up. What kinda armies are kids going to want out of superheros? Superheros are all bang and punches and kicks and FIGHTS! It's just easier for little hands to handle larger figures, and you figure they are gona want to smash superheros together more than joes or star wars, who are just gona loose accessories with each hit.

Now, of course, this is all speculation on my part. I don't know ALL kids. I also can't say who the majority is: kids or collectors. To me, though, it seems that Marvel Legends are more collector driven, as they don't seem like they would be that much fun for kids anymore (too much articulation, can't hold accessories, stuff like that. It's changed with Hasbro though). If they made another line, I would want to try and grab the kid's attention, and I sorta figured thats what the 5 inch line would do. However....that stuff sat there. So what could they do to make 3 3/4 figure move? Toybiz kinda already failed there, even with incorporationg a game, which I thought was a great idea. It failed Xevos too, and that line ROCKED.

One way or another, I agree with the opening post: I want to see something new. Dazzle me.

I much prefer 1:18 scale for action figures. Vehicles, playsets, army building soldiers (i.e. Hand Ninjas, HYDRA, A.I.M., Brood, S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents). Plus, due to their smaller size, they can release more characters per wave, they take up less display/storage space, and are cheaper.

However, I don't think they should drop the 6" line. I'd still buy the characters I like from that line.

IMO and after seeing the course of action that Hasbro (and even MATTEL) have taken since they took over the Marvel license, I believe that the ML figures will only last a more year or less (two or three more assortments maybe), this is because:

The current high cost of oil based products.

The economical situation worldwide (specialy US)

The success and sale of a wider range of characters produced in the 3 3/4" scale, like GIJoe Indiana Jones and StarWars, which is more profitable than producing larger (and at a higher cost) action figures.

The idea? of producing deluxe high quality items (unleashed Action Figures) aimed? to collectors, at mass retailers instead of specialized stores.

If you haven't noticed, Hasbro has been pulling the trigger slowly on these, just to kill the interest, by producing them with poor quality standards compared to what ToyBiz did in it's conception; when ToyBiz marketed them as LEGENDS it was because they were meant to be that: LEGENDARY among other superheroes toys.

Maybe its time for a change, the ML collection has reached its limits with a wider pantheon of Marvel characters, being one of the best quality action figure line since over 20 years (the original G1 Transformers are excellent collectible toys).

If Hasbro plans to resurrect the concept of LEGENDS, in an 3 3/4" format, they should have to top the former level of quality in the MLAF. (i.e. GIJOE 25th anniv. collection, STARWARS saga and TF classics)

One more tought, HASBRO Please remember your roots back to the KENNER era when we had the SUPERPOWERS Collection.

'nuff Said.

If you haven't noticed, Hasbro has been pulling the trigger slowly on these, just to kill the interest, by producing them with poor quality standards compared to what ToyBiz did in it's conception; when ToyBiz marketed them as LEGENDS it was because they were meant to be that: LEGENDARY among other superheroes toys.

I was with every last bit of your post, not necessarily agreeing, but at least understanding it... until I read that.

So if I understand you, you're saying that with the rising cost of resources and a bad economy (things that you pointed out yourself), Hasbro is using resources and paying people... with the express purpose of making a line that is designed to fail?

I've seen some interesting "Hasbro sucks and here's why" theories tossed around here, but this one doesn't even begin to make sense. They would have to be expecting one heck of a turn-around on a 'rebooted' smaller line in order to make that work... and pissing off the collectors by purposely destroying their old line doesn't exactly cry 'increased sales'.

Sure, new people will come in, some of the old ones will stick around, but they would be losing people through the size change, and then more when they see a drastic quality rebound... that would just be outright stupid. Sorry, but I'm just not believing that Hasbro spent good money on the license so they could use it to drive an entire scale of figures into the dirt and start over. I can buy the complaints that say Hasbro just doesn't know what they're doing, but that conjecture fails on every reasonable level.

1/18 scale figures would take less oil to make and would cost less money to ship. Making them cheaper at retail. Which would be a good Idea for my wallet.

While there pros and cons for both scales, idont hink Hasbro should "start over". If they want to make a companion line of 3 3/4 figures , then fine. The only good thing about the smaller scale would be (as stated before) vehicles, playsets, and easier army building. (Imagine the Avengers against the Stormtroopers or the X-Men taking on the Cobra troops!?!?!?!).

Aside form that, the 6"-inch line is the way to go. The detail and the articualtion make them worth it, even if they are more costly.

Now (also as stated before) a decent 6"-inch line of select Star Wars figures that are ML compatible would be nice. My Stars Wars Force Batlters Darth Vader would be so much better if he had ML-articulation. Hasbro needs to consider THAT option.

I was with every last bit of your post, not necessarily agreeing, but at least understanding it... until I read that.

So if I understand you, you're saying that with the rising cost of resources and a bad economy (things that you pointed out yourself), Hasbro is using resources and paying people... with the express purpose of making a line that is designed to fail?

I've seen some interesting "Hasbro sucks and here's why" theories tossed around here, but this one doesn't even begin to make sense. They would have to be expecting one heck of a turn-around on a 'rebooted' smaller line in order to make that work... and pissing off the collectors by purposely destroying their old line doesn't exactly cry 'increased sales'.

Sure, new people will come in, some of the old ones will stick around, but they would be losing people through the size change, and then more when they see a drastic quality rebound... that would just be outright stupid. Sorry, but I'm just not believing that Hasbro spent good money on the license so they could use it to drive an entire scale of figures into the dirt and start over. I can buy the complaints that say Hasbro just doesn't know what they're doing, but that conjecture fails on every reasonable level.

do i know you "friend"?

this is fact over fiction.

It's basically business 101. They aren't going to cancel the six inch line unless they stop selling. Thier goal is to sell both and increase profits. My only concern is that we've all been collecting MLs for 7 years, and running. If it takes Hasbro seven years to produce the same amount of figures forget it. But, as for as playsets go, man I would love to see a "NYC skyscraper" rooftop. How many battles have been staged there?

Hasbro has said they wanted to do the "legends" as 5 inchers ever since SDCC 2006 when it was announced they were gettng the liscense. They even showcased refurbished Legends figures in a five inch scale. I distinctly remembered seeing a Cyclops and Magneto figures redecoed. They tried lauching the Spider-Man 3 line in 5 inch and having it tank. Again with the FF2 line. It didn't do much better. They also launched a Spider-Man Origins 6" with some of the crappiest retreads from Toybiz's Spider-Man line.

Now they are launching a new Spider-Man 6" line with what? New Sculpts? Nooooo...the SAME tired resculpts they've already pawned on us three times already. It seems clear to me they want the sales charts to back up their claim that the 6" line is not viable.

Unfortunately, the buyers keep proving them wrong by buying up Marvel Legends and clamoring for more. Pesky consumer base...