How pissed would you be if Hasbro.....

Jeff

25th vs Movie  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If Hasbro killed the 25th line for Movie toys?

• You would quit collecting GIJoe
    • You would collect the movie toys
    • You would curse Hasbro till the end of time

so, you guys will skip a Night Raven -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a MARS Base playset -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a USS FLAGG -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a maskless James McCullen figure -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a Storm Shadow in a suit figure -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

that's just ridiculous IMO.

Movie or no movie, I think your dreaming if you actually think we will see the Flagg reissued in any kind of packaging. Hasbro would be foolish if the movie stuff was not in 3 3/4" scale but the Transformers movie toys are in the same scale as all the other Transformers lines. Do they fit in with G1 or even the later lines? Not really, at least not IMO.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait and see what the movie figures look like first. Since Hasbro said they would be 25th styled, they should look really good. I might really want some of them.

I really think Hasbro will keep both lines. The few months that the movie figures are released they would probably put the 25th line on hold. Like Star Wars with the upcoming Clones Wars line.

There is still too much left in the 25th line to make for Hasbro to stop. They said too that they plan for it to continue and they would go back and redo figures. They have already started that with painting v1 Snake Eyes blacker and Tf Flint has gloves so the regular Flint will probably pop up somewhere with gloves.

If Hasbro was smart they would do two lines and just make more money. Why cut out all of this money they are making on a successful 25th line.

Well, whatever is produced, kids will buy it, and with a potential of 3 movies, that style will be around for quite a while. Lets just hope there is no action attack.

I'd bet half my collection though that we can look forward to new playsets, and with the images of Snake Eyes that have surfaced, I'm pretty excited to see the rest of the costumes.

so, you guys will skip a Night Raven -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a MARS Base playset -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a maskless James McCullen figure -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a Storm Shadow in a suit figure -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

Movie or no movie, I think your dreaming if you actually think we will see the Flagg reissued in any kind of packaging. Hasbro would be foolish if the movie stuff was not in 3 3/4" scale but the Transformers movie toys are in the same scale as all the other Transformers lines. Do they fit in with G1 or even the later lines? Not really, at least not IMO.

I'm not dreaming at all. Hasbro wants big playsets with this movie, and the only thing keeping the Flagg from being released is a retailer to carry it.

of course the movie line is going to be right in scale with the 25th line, so if that is everyones problem, there is no problem.

I'm not dreaming at all. Hasbro wants big playsets with this movie, and the only thing keeping the Flagg from being released is a retailer to carry it.

of course the movie line is going to be right in scale with the 25th line, so if that is everyones problem, there is no problem.

Hasbro has been quoted many times in the various Q&A's that large playsets and vehicles are not feesable in todays market. Look at their Indiana Jones line. They reused an old Star Wars product for their one playset in that line. Im sure we will see some type of playset or vehicles released if the movie is a hit, but I doubt it will be one the size of the Flagg.

I already stopped collecting the 25th line, I mean I own 95% of the originals anyway and most of the 25th ARE NOT AN IMPROVEMENT. The only thing good about the 25th is the specialized figures and versions coming out, the versions for the mass device was a great idea, other than that I hope the 25th version goes away and makes room for the movie versions, As long as the movie versions look good, so far we have only seen Snake Eyes.

I already stopped collecting the 25th line, I mean I own 95% of the originals anyway and most of the 25th ARE NOT AN IMPROVEMENT. The only thing good about the 25th is the specialized figures and versions coming out, the versions for the mass device was a great idea, other than that I hope the 25th version goes away and makes room for the movie versions, As long as the movie versions look good, so far we have only seen Snake Eyes.

Ok ok . . . Let's try this one more time. I'm going to do it in all caps too.

THE "25th STYLE" OF FIGURE IS THE STANDARD STYLE / CONSTRUCTION OF FIGURE HASBRO WILL BE USING FROM NOW ON. THIS INCLUDES WHAT STYLE THEY WILL USE FOR THE MOVIE FIGURES. ACCORDING TO HASBRO THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES IN THE FIGURE STYLE FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

Got it? It's really simple. This is what we have for GIJoe 3 3/4, for better or for worse. Hasbro recognizes that fans were frustrated with the different styles of figures (JvC, VvV, DTC, etc) so they are going to keep the "25th style" of figure as the standard.

Sorry if I'm being an ass, but people are apparently not reading what myself, Admiral Hunter, Kamen Dreda, and gcbr have been telling you.

Like gscbr said,

so if that is everyones problem, there is no problem.

The only problem I can possibly forsee is that the movie tanks, the figures don't sell and they clog up the shelves. Then retailers might be a little hesitent to try selling Joe products (just look at how the Hulk and FF movies cause the comic Hulk and FF lines to get little to no support from retail). But I think think that it should be an interesting time to be a Joe fan no matter what.

Nah, there is no problem.

The line is GREAT right now and the stuff that's coming is just as good. People just can't wait to post their "God I hate Hasbro SOOOOOO much and here's why:" essays. They're just waiting for a reason. Waiting, waiting, waiting......

Hasbro has been quoted many times in the various Q&A's that large playsets and vehicles are not feesable in todays market. Look at their Indiana Jones line. They reused an old Star Wars product for their one playset in that line. Im sure we will see some type of playset or vehicles released if the movie is a hit, but I doubt it will be one the size of the Flagg.

it isn't that it isn't feasible absolutely, it is that no major retailer will allot shelf space for such large toy items. but there are alternatives stores that can carry large items -- namely Costco and other wharehouse stores that are interested in exclusives.

if Hasbro can get them on board, you will get your large playsets. the movie changes many dynamics available to Hasbro. hypothetically. a USS Flagg released at Costco during the coming Christmas season will fly off the shelf, even a 2 1/2 bills, if the movie is a hit. Large playsets will stimulate figure sales because kids will need figures to occupy those sets.

No

Don't know I'd have to see it.

Doesn't matter cause it won't happen even with the movie

Yes, but I would't have bought it on a 25th card either.

See Above.

lol, forget about what I said about a break from spending. If we see a USS Flagg at $250, I will be buying it, maybe two - and yes, I agree with you that the movie is our best chance to see one, especially if there is some scenes done from a carrier (and given that this will likely be a trilogy, that is a distinct possibility as well).

I don't understand why people still take Hasbro at the word. We've heard them saying that we won't be getting Tiger Force or Python Patrol figures in the 25th line, and now we know they're coming. That's just one example. They've said that large playsets won't be released, but how long ago did they say that? During VvsV? At the beginning of the 25th line, when they didn't know it was going to be a hit? A movie changes everything, especially a successful one.

Back to the original topic, I think there's a knee-jerk reaction to the idea of "cancelling" a line or putting it on hiatus, but when they see that the movie figures are basically the same as the ones we're getting now, people will end up buying them. And yes, like they've been doing with the Star Wars lines, we'll likely eventually see a mix of vintage and movie style figures in future waves. I understand the MOC collectors like the vintage-style packaging, but nothing lasts forever. As a loose collector, I couldn't care less, though I suppose I'd like the file card format to stay the same.

I'd also like to point out that I'd rather see 25th figures based on movie designs than totally new made up designs that are somewhat based on the new comics, like 25th Serpentor, Zartan and all the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow variants we're starting to see.

the question to all the opposers is what is it that defines the 25th line that you are so adamantly connected to?

is it vintage designed figures in vintage designed packaging?

if so, do you not buy the comic packs because they are not only a mix of new designed figures but aren't in vintage style packaging.

is it just vintage designed figures?

if so, than did you not buy Serpentor or Zartan because they are not vintage designs? will you not buy the future comic packs that contain newer designs?

is it just the vintage style packaging

if so, than do you not buy the comic packs, or 5 packs, or the upcoming 3 packs -- all of which are not in vintage style packaging.

but if you have bought all of the above, than what are you opposed to in the movie line. newly designed figures -- you buy them already. newly designed packaging -- you buy that already.

I want to know what you are actually opposed to?

I am nor opposed to anything right now. I like the 25th style and I like that we could get every old figure from every line remade and they would actually go together. I could end up having a Thunder, Sure Fire, Blackout and a movie Destro all the same style where they would look like they go together.

I really don't care about the packaging, it's cool that it looks like the old packaging. I care alot more about what is in the packaging. The figures could be in ziplock bags and I would still like them.

Well, I voted for collecting the movie toys...IF they are done well. I generally like movie toys, simply because I've always expressed my excitement over a movie through the purchase of related toys. (I'm so easy...) (lol)

Having said that, I was all set to buy an entire factory sealed case of Prince Caspian figures. I love the book, and I can't wait for the movie to come out, so naturally I was interested in the figures. Well, at the last minute I decided to hold off until I saw these things in-hand before I dropped good money on a whole case of them. Turns out they're not done very well, so I saved a bunch of money and bought a Star Wars mini-bust instead.

BUT...I noticed Play Along, the company producing the Prince Caspian toys, are also doing a six-inch line as well to coincide with the 3-3/4" one. I think that might be kinda cool, to see really cool six-inch, detailed Joes from the movie, IF they're cool and really well-done that is.

But if the 25th line stopped tomorrow, ah...it'd be okay. For me it'd be like someone else said; it was fun while it lasted, considering we're past the 25th Anniversary and they're still coming out. If they quit coming I'd just focus on Star Wars and Transformers, thereby saving some money for those properties. Who knows? I might even turn my attention to the vintage line...

is it vintage designed figures in vintage designed packaging?

Packaging is inconsequential to me, as the figure comes right out and the card and bubble (or box) goes right in the trash. I've never understood the pleasure that comes with collecting sealed items... it's seems so limiting. : /

NO. If I have one complaint with the 25th - and I know I'm the minority - we're seeing the whole Batman/Spiderman/X-Men toyline cliche. Snake Eyes in black, Snake Eyes in grey, Snake Eyes with shielded visor, 1990s Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander with hood, Cobra Commander with battle helmet, Cobra Commander with battle helmet in black, Cobra Commander in armor, Duke, Duke with jetpack, Chain of Command Duke, Chef Duke, Firefly, Firefly with red glasses, Firefly with foppish tophat. But not one Cesspool. Not one Overlord. Not one Shockwave, or Chuckles or Crazy Legs. This line is severly disadvantaged only because they - for now - seem dedicated on recreating 'classic' characters, and then adding stuff to those classics with later waves. To be honest... I could give a care about 1982. I want 1992.

is it just the vintage style packaging

Wasn't this the first question? @smilepunch@

I like the 25th Anniversary design, and think it's great. Sure, it's not RAH, but in some cases, it's better. I'm looking forward to the movie, assuming they maintain the 25th style for the figures. It would create an opportunity for some creativity in the line.

Tom

THE "25th STYLE" OF FIGURE IS THE STANDARD STYLE / CONSTRUCTION OF FIGURE HASBRO WILL BE USING FROM NOW ON. THIS INCLUDES WHAT STYLE THEY WILL USE FOR THE MOVIE FIGURES. ACCORDING TO HASBRO THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES IN THE FIGURE STYLE FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

Got it? It's really simple. This is what we have for GIJoe 3 3/4, for better or for worse. Hasbro recognizes that fans were frustrated with the different styles of figures (JvC, VvV, DTC, etc) so they are going to keep the "25th style" of figure as the standard.

Sorry if I'm being an ass, but people are apparently not reading what myself, Admiral Hunter, Kamen Dreda, and gcbr have been telling you.

Like gscbr said,

I think you are the one missing the point. Take Marvel Legends. Based on your argument I should be more then happy to buy X-Men movie figures simply because they are made in the same style and scale as the regular comic version X-Men Marvel Legend figures. That's not the case because I prefer the look of the characters in their true to form comic outfits and not the boring all black leather movie outfits. Thats not to say I don't enjoy the movies but when it comes to the toys I will take their comic outfits any day of the week.

The same goes for GIJoe. I like their orginal 80's look which is what the 25th Anniversary line brings us as opposed to some generic costume we are likely to see emerge from the movies. So even though I think you're overstating how confirmed that the movie stuff will be done in the same scale and consturction style as what we have now, I don't think that is the main concern many of us have at the moment.

ID BE UPSET BUT IM AN OPTIMIST----MAYBE THE MOVIE TOYS WILL BE GOOD--------------AS LONG AS THEY R NOT LIKE THE STUPID SPIDERMAN FAN 4 HULK STUFF---------IE: 4 WHEELER,DUNEBUGGY, JETBOAT WITH A MOLDED ON SNAKE EYES OR STORM SHADOW

ID BE PISSED THEN ------------WHY NOT JUST GIVE US REAPINTS SOME NEW MOLDS OF THE 25TH STYLE FIGURES IN THE RETRO PACKAGING STILL -----JUST MOVIE THEMED------------AND HERES TO HOPING FOR ABOUT 1O COOL VECHILES!!!!

AND A SWEET BASE FOR EACH!!!!!

DOC

NO. If I have one complaint with the 25th - and I know I'm the minority - we're seeing the whole Batman/Spiderman/X-Men toyline cliche. Snake Eyes in black, Snake Eyes in grey, Snake Eyes with shielded visor, 1990s Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander with hood, Cobra Commander with battle helmet, Cobra Commander with battle helmet in black, Cobra Commander in armor, Duke, Duke with jetpack, Chain of Command Duke, Chef Duke, Firefly, Firefly with red glasses, Firefly with foppish tophat. But not one Cesspool. Not one Overlord. Not one Shockwave, or Chuckles or Crazy Legs. This line is severly disadvantaged only because they - for now - seem dedicated on recreating 'classic' characters, and then adding stuff to those classics with later waves. To be honest... I could give a care about 1982. I want 1992.

Aren't you kind of contracting yourself? I see your point but it still sounds like you want to see "vintage" characters. For me it IS the vintage designed figures that I like about this line - I don't want to see Firefly with red glasses, black Cobra Commander, Duke with jetpack, "Chain of Command" Duke, etc... Because they WEREN'T vintage designed figures. I don't mind seeing Snake Eyes V1 and V2, stuff like that, because they were part of the classic line. The odd variant that we've seen in the cartoon or comic is okay once in a while, as long as it's "classic" - I don't want the Devil's Due inspired stuff.

I too would like to see Chuckles, Crazylegs and Shockwave. It'd be interesting to see what they can do with some of the later bright neon-coloured characters in muted tones, but as far as I'm concerned, anything made in the RAH years is a "vintage designed" character.

I wouldn't collect toys I've never seen. I abhorred the TF movie toys and DiBonaventura's handling of that movie. The pic of Park as Snake Eyes looks okay so far, but I haven't been wowed in any real way yet, so it seems like the movie could go either way in terms of being stuff I'd be willing to pay money for. So any movie toys would still have an uphill road to travel before being even approaching the 25th line in my eyes. In fact, I'd rather there not be a separate movie line at all an' just have everything follow 25th. Little chance of that happening, though.

What I find highly amusing about that arguement is that, by large, those figures are among the harder to find of the entire 25th assortment (in regards to singles), and I have personally, not seen a single Cobra Commander, Firefly, Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow in my local area since Christmas. Granted every area is different, but aside from the hooded Cobra Commander, none of the "core characters" have been cited as shelfwarmers, and early indications are that the Battle Armor Cobra Commander is among the faster movers of the wave 6 batch of figures.

We've barely gone a YEAR into this line, if I recall, the early year or two of the modern Star Wars line was quite similar in that there were a LOT of versions of Luke, Han, Darth Vader, Stormtroopers and Boba Fett released in fairly short order across multiple pricepoints. Why? Same reason as GI Joe: new buyers will want these iconic characters and Hasbro is taking efforts to make them easy to get. Remember figures don't ship all year like they used to. Also, have you taken a look at the going rate for last year's single Snake Eyes? $35 plus for a figure many were calling a shelfwarmer.

Given what we've seen thus far and what we know is coming, Hasbro isn't doing all that bad with this line, and so long as core characters don't bog the line down at retail (of which I've seen no real evidence of), I think we can put up with a Snake Eyes or Cobra Commander per wave to get guys like Snow Job, Bazooka, Sgt Flash, Torpedo, Spirit, or Stalker.

Guys- Not going to even bother reading this, but do want to pass on some info. While the figures will stay in the current format (re: body style & size), the "25th line per se" will not continue thru the movie. It will pick up in 2010 following the movie line as GI Joe Classics or Universe or something of that nature.

As far as I know personally, the packaging will not change except the exclusion of the 25th logo and related stuff, but the movie line will be a seperate property of it's own with it's own packaging exactly like they did with the TF movie.

Like gscbr said,

I think you are the one missing the point. Take Marvel Legends. Based on your argument I should be more then happy to buy X-Men movie figures simply because they are made in the same style and scale as the regular comic version X-Men Marvel Legend figures. That's not the case because I prefer the look of the characters in their true to form comic outfits and not the boring all black leather movie outfits. Thats not to say I don't enjoy the movies but when it comes to the toys I will take their comic outfits any day of the week.

The same goes for GIJoe. I like their orginal 80's look which is what the 25th Anniversary line brings us as opposed to some generic costume we are likely to see emerge from the movies. So even though I think you're overstating how confirmed that the movie stuff will be done in the same scale and consturction style as what we have now, I don't think that is the main concern many of us have at the moment.

There was no argument in my post. I was stating a fact that Hasbro's brand team told us at the convention that they were keeping the 25th build of the figures. That's it. Style of figure isn't changing. Anyway, most of the postings in this thread have been us trying to figure out exactly what your problem was (refer to gscbr's posts)

But while we're talking about it, yes you should be very happy to buy them.

When someone mentions 25th anniversary, they're talking figure style. For example, RAH is a figure style, JvC is a figure style. Characters will change costumes regardless. Look how many times people changed costumes in the comics that your marvel legends depict . . . how many different wolverines have there been? In that regard, a lot of GI Joe figures have had more than one costume in the comics. Plus your assuming that we're getting generic costumes from the movie. I don't know, Snake Eyes looks pretty true to his comic roots to me.

Anyway, what Alyosha is saying is true. We're getting the "25th - style classic costumes figures" back in 2010. So you should be able to rest easy.