How pissed would you be if Hasbro.....

Jeff

25th vs Movie  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If Hasbro killed the 25th line for Movie toys?

• You would quit collecting GIJoe
    • You would collect the movie toys
    • You would curse Hasbro till the end of time

Put the 25th Ann line on hiatus for Movie toys? I was just thinking about how they killed the classic line in Transformers for the move stuff, and even though Classics are making a return a year or so later under the Universe banner, how would you feel if they do the same thing for GIJoe?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it all depends on how cool the movie toys are. if there like the TF one i would quite buying new joes. now if there just like or close to the 25 anny line i would buy them. i think the 25 anny will be going for a long time.

Well it seems to me that hasbro can only do one or the other on most properties. I thought I did hear that they were going to do the same thing and put 25th on hiatus to go crazy with movie stuff. If they do that. I'll wait for the 25th to come back. I've never been a fan of movie toys or video games, as they are both just pushed out for quick sales. How often have we seen quality stuff come out compared to crap? Movies come and go for the most and rarely last past the cinema is done with the movie. Half the time when a movie is out of the theatre we see the toys go on clearance, unless it is popular, which is rare. Hopefully the figures are decent, but like I said I doubt I will pick something up just to have a cast members likeness molded in plastic. I am still pissed that the transformers classics went on hiatus for the movie. As stated before the 25th line was just supposed to be a 10 figure anniversary set, but with popularity it grew. My thinking for now is that they are just buying time until the movie comes out. I still don't think they are putting full efforts into the 25th line otherwise we would see new vehicles and playsets. The figures keep getting pumped out (in low number it seems) but they are not a big risk. They have to be thinking themselves pretty lucky to already have a ton of product that came out before that they are just improving on, and as hasbro is good at they like reusing molds and repainting things. It is going to have to be something for them to be creative and reinvent/upgrade the vehicles to be compatible with the taller figures, and to give them a 25th anniversary flair. Notice the exclusives are non height restrictive vehicles so they can just reuse and repaint them? I think we will just keep seeing figures get pumped out, (with the possibility of a few vehicles) until the movie comes out then they will pump movie product out, then after the smoke clears and it is a success, they might put some deidcation into giving us what we want.

Thats my 2 cents.

I plan on buying the movie toys unless they completely suck so it won't be that big of a deal to me. It would be nice if there was just one G.I. JOE line though with some of the figures being based on the movie incarnations (kind of like how movie versions of characters showed up in the Marvel Legends line along side the normal versions).

Like Admiral Hunter said, they told us at the convention last year that they would keep the 25th style of figures for the foreseeable future, including the movie line. Again, they said they are keeping the 25th style for the movie toys.

If the movies good and/or the toy designs are good, then I'll buy them. They may use the 25th Anniversary construction but by no means does that mean the character designs will look good. Not enough info to make a decision on this poll.

I wish for Hasbro to continue the 25th line. When TF movie toys came out they were sold out everywhere. I could have gotten some other Tf line ie Titanium, Alternators, Classics while the mainstream public is into the movie line. I just wish Hasbro would do 2 lines, 1 for collectors and 1 for the mainstream general public.

I don't think it is a matter of if the 25th line, in regards to the concept of vintage packaging and character designs, will be put on hiatus for the movie line -- it undoubtedly will be put on hiatus for the movie line. it really doesn't make sense to run them together -- the focus of the G.I. Joe brand from summer of 2009 to the near future will be the movie. no need to put out two separate toy lines and confuse customers -- namely parents and children.

but the figures will be of the same design, if not better, so they will fit in aesthetically with the 25th figures -- it will just be the packaging that will surely be different. but at some point, Hasbro will have exhausted all the toys they can make from the movie, and like Transformers characters not in it will be made and released under the packaging. and I wouldn't be surprised if by 2010 vintage designed characters are also released in the line, albeit in the newer packaging, or some amalgamation between the movie packaging and the vintage style. but I would be surprised to see the vintage style packaging make a return once the movie comes out.

I can't even think of the last time was that I was impressed with a movie toy line. Most good figures and toys made are not movie toys. With the concept of transformers and the over the top transformations it was too much for the toys and they had to make regular transformers, and then another line that was more action figures that were better detail but they didn't transform. I hope the kids like the GI joe movie as much as the adults will hopefully like it if its a good movie. I am sure there will be alot of toys out there that are gimmicky and just eye candy for the kids. If the movie goes well and the toys sell well, then great. I don't think they will sell nearly as good as the 25th line is doing now. I haven't seen anything else that sold this well before. When I was a kid in scotland, TMNT came out and sold out, but soon enough product came out to meet demand, same thing with the relaunch of star wars. Gi Joe continues to sell out in stores and online. The stores and online have not been abled to keep up with demand. Hasbro would be foolish to put the 25th line on hiatus even if it was to bring out the same style of figures in movie form. I for one would continue to buy up the classic 25th line for as long as they make it, before and after the movie and for as long as I can find it. I am hoping the movie figures are decent, and if they are I will buy them too, but I don't think they will sell half as well as the 25th line is doing.

Wasn't the 25th line only meant to last a few figures? You know, to commenorate the anniversary? The fact that it's still around impresses me! Not to mention that they really are pulling out the stops with some of these figures... so I'm not sure if it would be cast to the way side just for the film...

But then again, the Transformers Classics line was set aside for the film, and now it's back - better then ever before. So, there's that.

Tom

Speaking of Transformers Classics, I can't wait for those. They look awesome. I still need to get caught up with cliffjumper and mirage. Powerglide, I couldn't place at first but when I did I was shocked. Thats the main one I want, and he transforms into something that looks like a rattler, like the custom that was just made. I might have to get 2 so I can custom paint 1.

As far as the spending for the 25th line, if I could find em I'd be buying them lol. As it mostly is just figures now, they are not breaking the bank. When the vehicles/playsets hit, and the video game(s), thats a different story.

I will most likley skip the movie figures all together. Unless I love the movie and the movie figures rock I really don't need to start another collection.

With that said, bare in mind the 25th aniversary collection can only go so far. I'm sure a whole bunch of 'b' and 'c' list characters won't get the 25th treatment, such as Budo for example. We've gotten, or will get, some fairly obscure characters so far, but I'm sure they're not going to redo every character. When the line comes to en end. I'll be greatfull for what I've gotten and call it quits there.

Just my $0.02.

None of the above.

A. The movie toys, not matter if the movie is good or not, MIGHT be good. They are 3 3/4" scale right?

B. Should the 25th line end for whatever reason, I'd just take what they've given us so far (which is a lot), tell myself, "It was fun while it lasted", and go back to vintage collecting.

My initial response was "I quit for all time!" but, upon reflection, it will depend on a lot of things. The 25th anniversary line has done really great job of getting out most of the figures I want already-- there's a good chance the line may be more or less finished, in terms of getting out the classic characters, by the time the movie hits.

I figure, they'll do a few series of movie versions of characters, in the 25th style, and then continue to supplement it with figures of characters not in the movie afterwards, like movie-style Stalker or movie-style Major Bludd or something. I mean, there's only, like, tops twenty characters in the film, how long could they milk that pool in terms of figures (dangerous question with Hasbro, I know)

Well... From what they said at last years con, the movie toys will be in the 25th style (as well as 12" and possibly 8") so as long as they are compatible with the 25th figures, I won't be upset at all...

so, you guys will skip a Night Raven -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a MARS Base playset -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a USS FLAGG -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a maskless James McCullen figure -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

so, you guys will skip a Storm Shadow in a suit figure -- just because it isn't in 25th packaging?

that's just ridiculous IMO.

I think that his original thought wasn't necessarily the cessation of the 25th Anniversary PACKAGING on Hasbro's part, but rather Hasbro dropping the 25th Anniversary "style" of the figures in favor of some other whacked-out design that might be in the same scale, but otherwise looks completely out of place next to the 25th figures; sort of like how the 25th figures look out of place next to the vintage figures...

Like Hasbro dropping the slightly sci-fi/military feel of GI Joe for something more akin to McFarlane's hyper-realistic Military figures. Let's face it...when you compare the Joes to real-life military soldiers, they don't exactly mesh together very well. How many female soldiers do you see running around in a skin-tight leotard, yellow go-go boots and throwing stars fastened to a pair of "cowgirl gloves" that look like they belong to a stripper? Yet this is Scarlett's "standard-issue" uniform...

But then again...Lady Jaye is dressed like a motorpool mechanic, so I guess anything's possible...

it all depends on how cool the movie toys are. if there like the TF one i would quite buying new joes. now if there just like or close to the 25 anny line i would buy them. i think the 25 anny will be going for a long time.

I agree, it depends on how they look. If the characters look radically different from what we've known them from the comics and cartoon, I probably won't be interested.