[FANART] GI Joe Animated

Tom-1

Hey guys!

A couple of my buddies observed me watching the new Transformers Animated out here, and remarked how completely different it looks compared to the old series - one thing they didn't understand was why Prime had a mouth now... 'can't please everyone, I guess.

Anyhoo, once we got to talking about all our childhood cartoons, they asked why GI Joe didn't have a new show. I told them about the movie, but they insisted GI Joe needed something, too. Which got me thinking... what would it even look like ?

I don't consider myself and artist, nor do I consider the following indicative of what a new GI Joe toon would look like... but I wanted to play with the idea since it seemed so appealing to me and, well... here we go:

th.1d2c64f2a3.jpg

th.7441dc4c1e.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think, I'd love to get some input. I haven't drawn anything in nearly a year! #US1#

Tom

PS - Edited so it's not as long and not as small!

Totally cool! I wish i could see the pics closer up but from what i can tell! It rocks! I love the animated look on most things. I totally dig the clean lines and cartoonish look. Way to go Tom! Do more! (Spirit, Lady Jay, Cover Girl... *hint hint*)

I love those. Do some bad guys.

As you wish! From left to right it's the Baroness, Cobra Commander, Scarface and the Twins -

th.7dc40e801e.jpg

I meant to include Storm Shadow in the line up, but didn't finish him in time. : ( He'd look like:

th.935c3bf478.jpg

Those look really cool!

I don't think GI Joe quite works as a cutesy, animeish series but I'd love to see this format used for little side comic stories. Maybe you should do some up? You must have some good/funny military stories to base them on.

I agree with you, DP - I don't think this particular look screams G.I. Joe either... it was just a fun little experiment that I wanted to share. : D

For my own comfort though, I would like to state that I do not feel I draw in an anime style. I spent a lot of time and effort leeching from the skills of people like Charles Schultz and Bruce Timm to create my ugly looking approach to art heh heh

Tom

I agree with you, DP - I don't think this particular look screams G.I. Joe either... it was just a fun little experiment that I wanted to share. : D

For my own comfort though, I would like to state that I do not feel I draw in an anime style. I spent a lot of time and effort leeching from the skills of people like Charles Schultz and Bruce Timm to create my ugly looking approach to art heh heh

Tom

I wouldn't consider it an anime style, but there's an influence there. Bruce Timm's stuff was influenced by anime too, even if he wasn't conscious about it.

Tom, i have to say, looks very Hasbro/ animated transformerish.

pretty spot on of what i would expect a new animated version to come out.

however after Sigma's dismal efforts.. i dont see another one happening for awhile.

either way, great stuff! you got "mad tyte talents yo"

Don't be so modest, Tom. These are awesome. While you're not the best artist ive ever seen, you're certainly good and your outfit/character design skills are awesome. They're definitely a lot better than most of the character redesigns that we saw in JvC and Spy Troops

I like the art, but I think I'd personally go for seeing a cgi style like Final Fantasy The spirits within, Beowolf or the Warcraft cinematics. That would have to be movies though. As far as cartoons go I did like the sigma 6 cartoons, and do like the teen titans, batman, tmnt, etc, but am not digging the new transformers cartoon or the new spider-man cartoon. I do kinda miss the old style cartoons like gi joe,thundercats and the transformers animated movie.

I'm definetly liking the Snowserpent!!

Hey Tom,

Those are great! I'm really impressed with your Cobra drawings.

Great job on these! I think if Joe came back again with a new show, I'd LOVE to see it like this. Your designs bring something new to the table while sticking with some classic flair. Awesome work!

I think the highest compliment I can give right now is this: I'd love to see some toys of these!

You guys are the best! : D I knew I could count on my buddies here for some useful insight, thanks so much! I appreciate everything you guys had to say, from those who liked it to those who didn't care for it. : ) I'll admit though, it never hurts my feeling to hear the words "love it" in regards to my drawings heh heh

I had a few other ones I whipped up while I schemed the final roster of characters I ended up with... like any cartoon show, the additional characters would all show up for their introductory episode where they're a big deal, then be absorbed into the fold.

Take a peek - I have most of the Cobra elite through, and a couple classic Joes:

th.3573f236e2.jpg

Tom

yeah, it's official. I REALLY like your Copperhead concept. It makes me totally rethink the way he's used in my 'verse.'

I'd love to see your take on Croc Master. While not really an elite member of Cobra, if there ever were a toon like this, he would have to be included.

Geeze man, I think I'm a fan of your non-existent cartoon now! I love the look on Flint's face (looks like a cocky bastard) and Scrap-Iron is perfect!

Are you taking requests yet? Can you do a Crimson Guard and an Alley Viper?

Oh and I had to do this real quick:

beachhead.jpg