Is Hasbro screwing us?

DennisW22

Do we need another post bashing Hasbro? I mean aren't there like 400 of them by the same 15 people whing about Hasbro over and over again. It seems like as soon as it falls off the forum page, someone else has to add it to try and make everyone "try to think" their way. Just get over it. If you don't like the line, or the product, just friggin quit buying them and go collect something else like Barbies or Lil Petz. If you can't afford the price of the hobby, get a better job, make more money, work 2 jobs, budget better, save your pennies, freakin try recycling all the damn soda cans or beer bottles you drink, dump your over priced girlfriend, get rid of your rice rocket car, or your gas guzzling truck, whatever it takes to get the toys you want other then stealing of course. But please, dont come in here whining about the price of the toys or oil, who cares? If it truly ends up being to expensive, it sounds like the hobby just isnt right for your pocket book. Come back to it when you do have some good cash flow. I have the money, I have the interest in the characters, and I have the attitude that I could care less about the articulation, paint apps, and crappy facial sculpts. I just want the closest likeness to the comicbook characters they are willing to give. Back in the late 90's toybiz sold these 5 inch pieces of crap that people loved. They had what like 5 P.O.A and people loved them. Now people just to damn spoiled. Disagree or agree, I really don't care. As long as Marvel Toys are being made, regardless if it is by Toybiz, Hasbro, Mattel, Neca, whoever, I will support it. We probably won't see products this wonderful for many years to come. Enjoy it while you can!

Well said, I love Marvel characters and to have them in physical toy form is a blessing. Collecting is awesome, finding every minor detail wrong with the Marvel Line not so fun, actually kind of depressing. Collecting is supposed to give us enjoyment not enrage us into a ridicule fiasco. Life is too stressful. Collecting should be an escape from the stress not an addition to it. It's like going to a massage therapist who beats the crap out of you at each appointment, it misses the entire purpose. Hasbro bashing on a forum that is for the hobby and recreation of Marvel toy collecting is the same way. Let us enjoy what we have because it is truly a privilege that gives us pleasure that is all that should matter. #US1#

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to the guy that said hasbro sculpts dont have the same detail....ya you are wrong

paint aps are what makes a figure look bad,not the sculpt usually,and that is the case with most hasbro figures

go ahead and argue with me b/c i probably wont ever be back in this thread

Do we need another post bashing Hasbro? I mean aren't there like 400 of them by the same 15 people whing about Hasbro over and over again. It seems like as soon as it falls off the forum page, someone else has to add it to try and make everyone "try to think" their way. Just get over it. If you don't like the line, or the product, just friggin quit buying them and go collect something else like Barbies or Lil Petz. If you can't afford the price of the hobby, get a better job, make more money, work 2 jobs, budget better, save your pennies, freakin try recycling all the damn soda cans or beer bottles you drink, dump your over priced girlfriend, get rid of your rice rocket car, or your gas guzzling truck, whatever it takes to get the toys you want other then stealing of course. But please, dont come in here whining about the price of the toys or oil, who cares? If it truly ends up being to expensive, it sounds like the hobby just isnt right for your pocket book. Come back to it when you do have some good cash flow. I have the money, I have the interest in the characters, and I have the attitude that I could care less about the articulation, paint apps, and crappy facial sculpts. I just want the closest likeness to the comicbook characters they are willing to give. Back in the late 90's toybiz sold these 5 inch pieces of crap that people loved. They had what like 5 P.O.A and people loved them. Now people just to damn spoiled. Disagree or agree, I really don't care. As long as Marvel Toys are being made, regardless if it is by Toybiz, Hasbro, Mattel, Neca, whoever, I will support it. We probably won't see products this wonderful for many years to come. Enjoy it while you can!

Well said, I love Marvel characters and to have them in physical toy form is a blessing. Collecting is awesome, finding every minor detail wrong with the Marvel Line not so fun, actually kind of depressing. Collecting is supposed to give us enjoyment not enrage us into a ridicule fiasco. Life is too stressful. Collecting should be an escape from the stress not an addition to it. It's like going to a massage therapist who beats the crap out of you at each appointment, it misses the entire purpose. Hasbro bashing on a forum that is for the hobby and recreation of Marvel toy collecting is the same way. Let us enjoy what we have because it is truly a privilege that gives us pleasure that is all that should matter. #US1#

It is more about getting the most bang out of your buck. Marvel Legends offered a lot when it first came out, hence the expectation levels has risen. Since it offers less pack-ins nowadays, the expectation is the final product should still be expected to meet the same standard as the previous manufacturer. Nowadays, I am getting the most bang for the buck with the new Halo 3 figures. And my excitement with these awesome products is just beginning. And I am really satisfied. Smaller but uncannily what you expect from the manufacturer.

I don't need to look at a gallery of pics, I own 99% of the figures in both lines and have them close at hand, LOL!

The differences are in the paint apps, something that a modicum of skill with paint washes and drybrushing can fix, if someone chooses. Alot of the Hasbro figures don't even need washes or drybrushing.

Astonishing Cyclops remains a good example here--as the Astonishing Wolverine figure that Toybiz released had a small airbrushed line down the torso seam ( front and back) the rest is molded plastic and single tone paint apps.

Cyclopshas the textured sculpt and molded plastic to convey the leather outfit his portrayed as wearing in the comics. There's no reason to apply a paint wash there, nor any need for drybrushing. The sheen of the plastic and the way the fine terxtured lines break up the light communicate that scale texture of leather. The other paint apps he has fit the details of the character.

What else is needed there?

Comparatively, he's identical in treatment as the Toybiz Wolverine, and the ONLY POAs he's missing are the toes and the left hand finger POA. Is the loss of those a detriment to the figure?

I sure don't think so.

Now, that example is a good one, Hasbro DOES have some dogs........but so does Toybiz, and they have been cited many times before.

I don't think that Goliath, the bright yellow Sentry, Hulkbuster Iron Man, Spiderwoman, Pyro, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and a few others look like models either. Most of those have weaker paint apps, which seems to be the common failing with a lot of the stinkers in either line.

Personally, I have fixed the paint apps on about a half dozen Toybiz figures over time. and will probably do the same to an equal number of Hasbro figures.

Good post ARROW, i feel the same(except don't be dis'in Hulk Buster, might make me mad :D ) don't forget, Deathstrike is no where near a model either, hell Emma looks way better with red lips and a dullcoat on her face then Deathstrike ever could with that face*shudders*

Heck HML3(besides Bucky's head sculpt and the range of the Hydra goons artic) is pretty much as good as a lot of TB waves, Brood Queen is just as detailed as any of the old BAFs, Cap's sculpt is overall better then ML1 Cap(just the head is a lil goofy to get his FA look down) i mean i did repaint his boots and gloves cause of the orange-ish red they used was a bit much, Marvel Girl trumps a lot of the past females in looks alone, X3 Colossus(the running change to silver anyway) looks good cept the head did seem to get pinched a bit, Black Knight is a great figure, just weird how they painted the blade of the Sword of Light black, and yeah, Cyke looks real good, he's gonna be the next one i pick up from HML3 for sure(have Cap Rach and BKnight) Hydra Goon looks good, just will need some modding to get good enough range out of his elbows(i modded Black Knights and then noticed the main problem with his is that the sculpt of his gloves got in the way LOL )

Like you i've been retouching/modding MLs since TB days(gosh my ML5 Colossus looked DULL before i repainted his silver) and i never expected that to change when Hasbro took over, but i did expect to not have any figures break and so far so good.

I see your white flag, and I accept your surrender.

Suurender?

I don't need to surrender a point, certainly not when others chime in and support it.

i firmly agree, but be honest can you find me one figure or sculpt of Hasbro's MLs that is superior is quality and detail to any Toybiz ML

Astonishing Cyclops.

Lord of Asgard Thor ( or whatever he's called)

FF Legends Doctor Doom

FF Legends Thing

Brood Queen BAF

X3 Colossus

Just to name 6 off the top of my head.

Now the caveat here: by what grounds to we qualify the "best of Toybiz ML's" to compare these to?

Should we pick any ol' figure, or their closest counterparts in the earlier lines.

If you pick "any" figure, then you can find samples that do, in fact, beat out the other.

Clearly, Hasbro's Astonishing Cyclops trumps the Toybiz version in detail.

Same could be said for Doom and the Thing.

Brood Queen certainly has more detail than the Marvel Select Brood ( which began as a Toybiz-intended sculpt)

Colossus is probably the only tie in the bunch, given his ML5 (?) version is at least equal--though I think texturally the X3 version offers more detail in the sculpt.

Now, lest anyone lose themselves in the blind urge to counter....

On the face of fair comparisons, there are samples from each that compare equally.

However, in terms of sheer numbers to date, going with the first 3 waves of Toybiz compared to Hasbro, Toybiz certainly offered more detailed figures compared to Hasbro's.

Taken as a whole, both have offered equally detailed figures, and both have had their dogs.

Aside from immature claims about perceived absolutes, there's not much to argue about on that point.

I still haven't gotten a Cyke that I like, maybe because I'm picky. The Toybiz one look oversized, and too buff (Maybe they shoulda used his body for FFML Namor). Then the Hasbro one I kinda wanted to get but when I looked at the package, I said meh. I think his large visor kinda looked like it sat on the upper edge of his eyebrows and lost most of his forehead and it doesn't look like the Icons version (that one was dead-on! If I only had a shrink ray with me). Anyways, what also turned me off was his huge boots! I have a thing with boot size, Unless he's the Beast, I think he has way too big . . feet. I am still hoping for a Jim Lee Cyclops in the future and that would make my day.

I feel the need to poke in with a rather objective point of view. To me, a good figure is a good figure no matter who makes it. I think a lot of people just have personal gripes with Hasbro for some odd reason.

Others simply can't stand change.

I didn't collect the early ML series when they first came out and quite frankly I still think many of them look a bit ridiculous. They didn't start to catch my attention until about series 7 and still I didn't get in until series 9.

Now with Toybiz I thought the majority of figures I saw on pegs were a mess. While I appreciate the effort to deliver superior paint details they simply over did it and it has led to many stories of woe from collectors everywhere. Many of these problems have been discussed so no need to get into too many details.

Hasbro on the other hand, chose to do a more cleaner and neater look. Anyone who tries to argue that Hasbro's quality isn't as good is simply nuts. By that I mean overall quality not just paint apps.

Look at it this way, at least we know that for the couple of dollars more we pay that the figures aren't going to fall to pieces in our hands straight out of the package! That's plenty.

Personally the appearance of the figures I don't really think would be much different if TB did these same ones, they'd just have more paint slopped on them. And I do mean SLOPPED!

I liked the TB figures and I like the Hasbro figures. As I said, good figures are just good figures. If you like them, buy them. If not, then don't.

And as it was also pointed out, Hasbro has barely been doing these for over a year. In that time I think they've made some great strides and I think they'll continue to do so.

As for the scales of figs, Hasbro has repeatedly said that they wanted to create separate lines for kids and collectors. Why can't people get that? They made ML movie line for collectors and the 5" for kids.

If you want to collect the 5" then you were welcome to do so. If not, then don't worry about them cuz they were made for kids. Stop thinking that everything Hasbro makes HAS to cater to the collectors.

I'm all for putting in some constructive criticism, after all, if Hasbro is keeping an eye on the fandoms (which I'm sure they do) then it helps to have good dialog on the matter. However, there comes a time where it gets to be too much and I think we hit that point about a thousand miles back.

I understand the whole "if you don't like it, don't buy it" argument, but I think it misses a major point: the BAF. I'm a fan of the BAFs, but some of the most miserable figures must be purchased in order to be complete. It hinders the passing on the figure for its own quality purpose. I really wanted the Blob BAF(one of Hasbro's sure hits in my book), and was endlessly pissed at having to buy the X3 Jean and Juggs figures.

It's something of a no-win scenario for the collector. You have to have sh!tty figures and the BAF or neither.

And I ask why you're not taking advantage of all your resources, as I have to many others who make this same complaint. There are trade forums on this site. There is eBay. Either of those would give you the ability to buy/trade for just the BAF part, or trade/sell the figure if you bought it for just the BAF part, ending with a significantly lower expense than buying and being stuck with a figure you never wanted in the first place.

It takes a little more work than just grabbing it off the peg, but it sounds like you'd be happier in the end.

I guess it's really all about standards, then. Some are high, and some are low.

This is what i find most amusing, considering the person its coming from.

Just who makes the determination of what or who had a low or hight standard?

Isn't that a personal evaluation--and because its personal, do YOUR rules and values apply to everyone else?

Of course not.

No-one is telling another to like something, all someone like myself is doing is offering other perspectives to consider.

If you, or anyone, are not getting joy out of something--you might want to ask yourself why.

Usually its because you are doing something ( or not doing or considering something) that is keeping you from considering other options.

Stating someone has a "lower standard" because they accept something you will not consider is pure blindness.

Its overlooking that the other person might be using their intelligence in different ways that make it easy to bring them more happiness.

That's ultimately what all of this is about, being happy with the stuff.

If you cannot .......just simply cannot get over certain things ( even though you retain the option of affecting some of those things--painting a figure, for example) then that choice remains yours.

Likewise the choice to embrace something you may not like becomes the right of another.

I'd call that "indisputable". :rolleyes:

Good post ARROW, i feel the same(except don't be dis'in Hulk Buster, might make me mad ) don't forget, Deathstrike is no where near a model either, hell Emma looks way better with red lips and a dullcoat on her face then Deathstrike ever could with that face*shudders

Deathstrike, IMO, is a good example of a failed paint app.

I believe there's nothing wrong with her sculpt, the problem with the figure is how her facial expression is painted on.

I have plans ( once I get the paints and new brushes I need) to totally repaint her face and give her a more aggressive expression. I think she'll look alot better after that.

Hydra Goon looks good, just will need some modding to get good enough range out of his elbows

Yea, I agree with you there. I'm kinda hoping some super-skilled guy like Jin Santome does a how-to on grinding the elbows and knees down on the Hydra guy.

I've got my dremel handy and have been eyeballing the figures so see what part of the joints I need to remove to get some more artie out of him.

He's probably the one big disappointment Hasbro has fielded.

while we're talking about hulkbuster iron man, anyone else wonder why he looks like hitler?

They sculpted his hair flat--probably as a safe tolerance for the helmet cover.

I'm tempted to get some black Fimo and give him a more buoyant 'do.

And the reason I don't think the Hulkbuster looks model-like is because of the "inked" panel lines on the figure. Mine are sloppy and uneven and I'm tempted to strip them and repaint the entire figure.

( Actually, Hulkbuster would be an excellent figure to really trick out with added parts under the helmet cover ( inspired by the famous Nitto SF3D kits) and rescore some panel lines and drill out some details in addition to a total repaint and weather job. I'd also do some serious work on the glider-then it would looke like a model kit.)

By not seeing the carded version of HML Wave 4 just goes to show that they will no be released anytime soon. Last time it was 2-3 weeks after we saw the carded version were they released. This really, really blows!

Hasbro, release them already!!!

while we're talking about hulkbuster iron man, anyone else wonder why he looks like hitler?

They sculpted his hair flat--probably as a safe tolerance for the helmet cover.

I'm tempted to get some black Fimo and give him a more buoyant 'do.

And the reason I don't think the Hulkbuster looks model-like is because of the "inked" panel lines on the figure. Mine are sloppy and uneven and I'm tempted to strip them and repaint the entire figure.

( Actually, Hulkbuster would be an excellent figure to really trick out with added parts under the helmet cover ( inspired by the famous Nitto SF3D kits) and rescore some panel lines and drill out some details in addition to a total repaint and weather job. I'd also do some serious work on the glider-then it would looke like a model kit.)

i was talking more about his facial feature than his hair.

sorry bub you lose

Isn't that just as foolish? Need I quote Obi Wan? Ultimately no one has lost. How could they? It's all opinion, as you correctly stated. There is no such thing as a correct or incorrect opinion. You've literally just contradicted your own argument. It's not some competition, don't resort or fuel their immaturity. So who is the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? Why don't we all drop it?

i only meant that he lost in the fact that he states it cannot be argued that toy biz is better than hasbro.if indeed one is better than the other remains in the eye of the beholder therfore it can be argued therefore it is not indisputable. i personally find good and bad in both equally, but i can argue it! therefore it is not "indisputable" and if you read my statement i state that there is no right or wrong opinion. year s after we are all dead and burried our children will be arguing these same points @grumpy@

I feel the need to poke in with a rather objective point of view. To me, a good figure is a good figure no matter who makes it. I think a lot of people just have personal gripes with Hasbro for some odd reason.

Others simply can't stand change.

I didn't collect the early ML series when they first came out and quite frankly I still think many of them look a bit ridiculous. They didn't start to catch my attention until about series 7 and still I didn't get in until series 9.

Now with Toybiz I thought the majority of figures I saw on pegs were a mess. While I appreciate the effort to deliver superior paint details they simply over did it and it has led to many stories of woe from collectors everywhere. Many of these problems have been discussed so no need to get into too many details.

Hasbro on the other hand, chose to do a more cleaner and neater look. Anyone who tries to argue that Hasbro's quality isn't as good is simply nuts. By that I mean overall quality not just paint apps.

Look at it this way, at least we know that for the couple of dollars more we pay that the figures aren't going to fall to pieces in our hands straight out of the package! That's plenty.

Personally the appearance of the figures I don't really think would be much different if TB did these same ones, they'd just have more paint slopped on them. And I do mean SLOPPED!

I liked the TB figures and I like the Hasbro figures. As I said, good figures are just good figures. If you like them, buy them. If not, then don't.

And as it was also pointed out, Hasbro has barely been doing these for over a year. In that time I think they've made some great strides and I think they'll continue to do so.

As for the scales of figs, Hasbro has repeatedly said that they wanted to create separate lines for kids and collectors. Why can't people get that? They made ML movie line for collectors and the 5" for kids.

If you want to collect the 5" then you were welcome to do so. If not, then don't worry about them cuz they were made for kids. Stop thinking that everything Hasbro makes HAS to cater to the collectors.

I'm all for putting in some constructive criticism, after all, if Hasbro is keeping an eye on the fandoms (which I'm sure they do) then it helps to have good dialog on the matter. However, there comes a time where it gets to be too much and I think we hit that point about a thousand miles back.

well said!

I guess it's really all about standards, then. Some are high, and some are low.

This is what i find most amusing, considering the person its coming from.

Just who makes the determination of what or who had a low or hight standard?

Isn't that a personal evaluation--and because its personal, do YOUR rules and values apply to everyone else?

Of course not.

No-one is telling another to like something, all someone like myself is doing is offering other perspectives to consider.

If you, or anyone, are not getting joy out of something--you might want to ask yourself why.

Usually its because you are doing something ( or not doing or considering something) that is keeping you from considering other options.

Stating someone has a "lower standard" because they accept something you will not consider is pure blindness.

Its overlooking that the other person might be using their intelligence in different ways that make it easy to bring them more happiness.

That's ultimately what all of this is about, being happy with the stuff.

If you cannot .......just simply cannot get over certain things ( even though you retain the option of affecting some of those things--painting a figure, for example) then that choice remains yours.

Likewise the choice to embrace something you may not like becomes the right of another.

I'd call that "indisputable". :rolleyes:

I completely agree. There's nothing more aggravating than a Hasbro hater telling you you have low standards just because you like HML figures. Very well said Arrow.