Is Hasbro screwing us?

DennisW22

i know this has probably been addressed many times before but i just wanted to bring up my own complaints. Ever since the marvel buy-out by hasbro, Marvel Legends have been getting way worse than the quality i used to love. When with toybiz the sculptswere fresh, and paint apps were great and the figures were overall amazing. I have heard rumors that hasbro wants to slowly phase out the legends line and replace it with the movie lines. i though this was bs until i saw these new iron-man figures, there kinda undersized but the detail is amazing in my opinion, maybe even original legend quality, but when you look at the new mavel legends they look terrible with crappy paint apps and sculpting. so i believe their slowly trying to kill off and replace the legends line.

another way they screwed us was last year with the spiderman 3 wave of 5 inch scaled figures, wtf? they were an abomination.

does anyone else agree or share similar opinions?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know this has probably been addressed many times before but i just wanted to bring up my own complaints. Ever since the marvel buy-out by hasbro, Marvel Legends have been getting way worse than the quality i used to love. When with toybiz the sculptswere fresh, and paint apps were great and the figures were overall amazing. I have heard rumors that hasbro wants to slowly phase out the legends line and replace it with the movie lines. i though this was bs until i saw these new iron-man figures, there kinda undersized but the detail is amazing in my opinion, maybe even original legend quality, but when you look at the new mavel legends they look terrible with crappy paint apps and sculpting. so i believe their slowly trying to kill off and replace the legends line.

another way they screwed us was last year with the spiderman 3 wave of 5 inch scaled figures, wtf? they were an abomination.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

credit to heinousjoe!

You are basing your assumptions on rumours???

Why don't you just focus on facts.

Ask yourself some questions, and answer honestly for yourself:

Has Hasbro stated they will be focusing solely on movie based lines?

( My answer: No, they have NOT stated this implicitly, and doing do would be enormously stupid. Why?

Simply because if they focus ONLY on movie lines they cut out 5000+ potential characters from the comics. Tell me, does doing that seem like good business to you?)

Is Hasbro going to do movie figures again in 5" scale? Are the Iron Men figures 5" or 6"?

( My answer: Probably not. 6" is their defacto scale for the Marvel Legends and it appears to have sold better than the 5" figures in the Spiderman and FF movie lines. Iron Man is 6", all the X-movie characters have been 6"--as were Ghost Rider. They MIGHT continue to experiment with scale, to cut costs--as is their perogative. They will doubtlessly inform us all if they are going to do that--but they have not as yet.)

Are Hasbro's figures are less detailed than Toybiz's figure were?

( My answer: Not at all! Sculpt-wise and articulation-wise they are very close or the same, and in some cases more so. The difference is the paint apps-as Hasbro is not employing as many washes or drybrushed effects.)

Is Hasbro screwing is customers?

( My answer: read the above and you decide.)

to answer your question yes they are. they need to stop screwing around and stick to the 6" scale, i am not rich and can't collecting other scales. They are not killing the marvel legends line and i hope Jesse will set them straight. Side note hopefully they will make gi joes in 6" scale like they are making marvel in 3 3/4 so everyone is happy.

Yes, they are. Let's see...Let us take Emma Frost for an example: 5 oz of plastic, a very poor paint job, poor articulation, a very ugly sculpt, no comic, no accessories, no base all for three more dollars than an Toy Biz marvel legend figure. Any toy biz figure can be used as a foil to hasbro MLs because they were three dollars less, better sculpted, better painted, better accessorized, and awesome. Not to mention some of the regular Hasbro figures weigh more and have better detail than any Hasbro BAF, i.e. Juggernaut and Abomination. Even Toad who lacked articulation has much better sculpting and detail than any hasbro figure. The best Hasbro figures: the ones used from old Toy Biz sculpts, i.e. cannonball and Domino. Toy biz is just seeing what they can get away with. How much will we pay to assemble the BAF? They are calling our bluff with ever low quality figure they produce (Bucky, are kidding me?). And yet I have every BAF ever made. Whoever proposed the idea of a BAF was a marketing genius. I buy these low-rent figures just so I can assemble the freakin' BAF.

P.S. I have not bought the sandman BAF nor will I ever. I hate hasbro. Especially because they are making me wait so long to assemble holocaust! Curses!

you know these anti-hasbro threads get real tiring. i mean im no fan of hasbro (well excep maybe their character selection which i think is great and very fan based). i hate the fact that were still waiting on hml 4 (even though they told us it would be late). the paint is something they really have to improve in. other then that i don't see the problem. Like SpidermanClassics says your beating a dead horse.

notice that dennis there just joined the forums today so he probably didn't bother to notice the 50 million other hasbro-hate-threads already posted up here.

uhhhh, welcome to the forums dude.

So some bad figures have been made, Hasbro is getting better Lord Thor, Planet Hulk, both Marvel Girls, Black Knight, FF wave, Astonishing Cyclops, She Hulk, All the Ironman figures are good collectors prodcuts. It was Hasbro's first year why would they get rid of potential profit found in us? I said this before it is a year of trial and error for Hasbro but judging from what we are getting this year and the Ironman figures they are meeting fans wants, so why complain? If in December Hasbro bombs on all thier attempts (the two packs, Hulk wave, wave five, and future Ironman waves), then maybe your assumption is valid but the year just started and nothing besides the Ironman figures have come out so before one makes a rash assumption lets wait to see all the years expected products.

So some bad figures have been made, Hasbro is getting better Lord Thor, Planet Hulk, both Marvel Girls, Black Knight, FF wave, Astonishing Cyclops, She Hulk, All the Ironman figures are good collectors prodcuts. It was Hasbro's first year why would they get rid of potential profit found in us? I said this before it is a year of trial and error for Hasbro but judging from what we are getting this year and the Ironman figures they are meeting fans wants, so why complain? If in December Hasbro bombs on all thier attempts (the two packs, Hulk wave, wave five, and future Ironman waves), then maybe your assumption is valid but the year just started and nothing besides the Ironman figures have come out so before one makes a rash assumption lets wait to see all the years expected products.

ya they are getting a bit better by chosing different characters instead of the regulars, but the last series i bought from was the Fantastic Four series, the Dr.Doom was awesome, but the namor i got was the worst, so their really inconsistant, but what i want to see is different body sculpts, not just the same bullseye body sculpt for all their averaged sized male characters

BeatDeadHorse.gif

credit to heinousjoe!

@loll@ glad someone got in here with that right away,thanks bud

ya they are getting a bit better by chosing different characters instead of the regulars, but the last series i bought from was the Fantastic Four series, the Dr.Doom was awesome, but the namor i got was the worst, so their really inconsistant, but what i want to see is different body sculpts, not just the same bullseye body sculpt for all their averaged sized male characters

But using the Bullseye mold for averaged size characters make sense, it must since TB used it for 4 different characters(Bullseye, Taskmaster, Moon Knight,Captain Marvel) so far with Hasbro its only 3(Quicksilver, Yellowjacket and the upcoming Nova) but still i actually really like that mold and think if the characters outfit is a skin tight outfit that it is a smart idea to keep using as long as they can(lots of kitbashers used to do the same also)

And every figure in HML3 and FFHML were new sculpts so they do use new sculpts a lot.

it wasnt bought by hasbro. theyre license ran out (which confuses the hell out of me, because they are part of marvel), and the bid came between them and playmates, and thank god hasbro won, because otherwise wed hardly be able to find them.

also, thats just as you said: a rumor. and the paint aps werent that great. they were sloppy as all hell because they tried to do what mcfarlane does but in really large numbers, so much the factory could handle producing such detailed paint apps in the small amount of time and the rushed. a lot.

and yeah, the iron man figures are great, but have you seen the pics of HML4, theyre even better (well, they will be...). and they made a six-inch version of the SM3 figures (the important ones), and you can go to the store and pick them up in the new SMC line.

so, no i dont agree with your opinions.

Ya' wanna' know what's REALLY funny??

The same people who claim to hate the "I hate HASBRO" threads because they think they're tiresome, tedious, etc, are ALWAYS posting on these exact same threads.

In other words, if the thread is so tiresome, why read it? And why post?

My 4 cents? (Yes, I get 4 cents worth). Hasbro exceeds TOY-BIZ in one facet only - reliability of the finished product. Hasbro's Legends are sturdier and overall better constructed than TOY-BIZ's were, funny knee joints aside. When I buy a Hasbro Legend (if I buy a Hasbro Legend), I have confidence that it will be well-constructed, without stuck joints, and it won't fall apart in my hands if I bend the joints.

That said, artistically speaking, Hasbro can't touch TOY-BIZ, and in my opinion, all such comparisons are laughable.

It ain't just the paint-apps. Hasbro's sculpts are simply not as detailed as TOY-BIZ's were, and if they do have more detail, they often lack in size. TOY-BIZ simply paid more attention to the artistic details. I have no idea what Hasbro pays attention to.

And BTW...overall sales of "Legends" are down since Hasbro took over. So apparently, there's lots of folks like me who protest with their wallets.

#US1#

Man, I LOVE the "I Hate hasbro" threads!

i

BeatDeadHorse.gif

credit to heinousjoe!

BeatDeadHorse.gif

BeatDeadHorse.gif

This is fun!

That said, artistically speaking, Hasbro can't touch TOY-BIZ, and in my opinion, all such comparisons are laughable.

It ain't just the paint-apps. Hasbro's sculpts are simply not as detailed as TOY-BIZ's were, and if they do have more detail, they often lack in size. TOY-BIZ simply paid more attention to the artistic details. I have no idea what Hasbro pays attention to.

You obviously don't have figures like Astonishing Cyclops, FF Legends Thing, The Brood Queen, FF Legends Doc Doom & Mole man, Danger, Xorn, FA Captain America, Planet Hulk etc in your collection, because they are as detailed a sculpt as as anything Toybiz put out......

"Artistically speaking", there's no difference in the level of detail there.

i know this has probably been addressed many times before but i just wanted to bring up my own complaints.

Actually, you're right. Every last one of these complaints has been addressed before, if not 'many times', then at least once. bringing them up again, as your own... not really adding anything.

Ever since the marvel buy-out by hasbro, Marvel Legends have been getting way worse than the quality i used to love.

I would think that highly depends on definitions of 'quality'.

When with toybiz the sculptswere fresh, and paint apps were great and the figures were overall amazing.

Fresh sculpts? TB reused molds all over the place.

Great paint apps? I seem to be in a minority of those who would prefer to have flat color if that means it is properly applied, over the Toy Biz "color was applied in my general direction, then I fell in a mud puddle" look.

Overall amazing? Honestly, I don't see this huge gap in difference that others seem to.

I have heard rumors that hasbro wants to slowly phase out the legends line and replace it with the movie lines.

Fun fact: these rumors started the very MINUTE Hasbro got the license. They are kept alive not by any kernel of truth, but by being gullible enough to believe in rumors.

i though this was bs until i saw these new iron-man figures, there kinda undersized but the detail is amazing in my opinion, maybe even original legend quality, but when you look at the new mavel legends they look terrible with crappy paint apps and sculpting. so i believe their slowly trying to kill off and replace the legends line.

So the fact that Hasbro put a little extra effort into trying to make a tie-in line to what is hopefully a summer blockbuster the best it can be... that's your proof? I mean, I'm not involved in the toy industry, so maybe I'm off-base, but that sounds like exactly the sort of thing you want to do: wow them with the movie figures, get them in the habit so that when those dry up, the customer turns to your other lines and starts grabbing them too. Isn't that the way most products work: get them to become your customer using the best-possible, then have them stick around for the normal?

Wait. Weren't you just trying to say that the movie lines were supposed to replace ML, using their supposed superiority as proof? Wasn't SM3 a movie line? Doesn't that work AGAINST your case?

And, since you seem to be new, it might behoove you to understand that the SM3 figures were 5-inch because Hasbro underestimated the amount of collectors who would buy the toys and/or complain about not being able to put them in their collections, so they figured that 5" was a more 'kid-friendly' scale. They admitted their mistake, and thus we received Spider-Man Trilogy... which carries it's own set of pros and cons.

So you started the post saying you knew all this had 'probably been addressed many times before', then finish wanting to know if anyone agrees with you?

If I didn't already have a headache, trying to figure out exactly what you added that you felt was you own would be giving me one right now.

to answer your question yes they are. they need to stop screwing around and stick to the 6" scale, i am not rich and can't collecting other scales.

Yes, curse Hasbro and the way they force you to buy everything!

Side note hopefully they will make gi joes in 6" scale like they are making marvel in 3 3/4 so everyone is happy.

My head hurts too much to tell if this is ironic by accident or design.

Yes, they are. Let's see...Let us take Emma Frost for an example: 5 oz of plastic, a very poor paint job, poor articulation, a very ugly sculpt, no comic, no accessories, no base all for three more dollars than an Toy Biz marvel legend figure.

And largely made from a Toy Biz sculpt.

Any toy biz figure can be used as a foil to hasbro MLs because they were three dollars less, better sculpted, better painted, better accessorized, and awesome.

Better sculpted? You apparently don't know about all the whining that has gone on regarding the size and shape of Mr. Sinister- he's a blasted shapeshifter! Black Cat and Elektra still draw groans from the TB collectors (actually, pretty much every female TB figure does). Nightcrawler's "Leno chin" was a popular topic back in the day. The list goes on and on.

Better painted... I dealt with that above. It's an 'eye of the beholder' thing, I imagine.

Better accessorized? Three words: Psylocke's psychic knife.

Awesome... sounds a lot like 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' to me. Some of it's better, some of it's worse, overall I find it to be pretty much the same.

Not to mention some of the regular Hasbro figures weigh more and have better detail than any Hasbro BAF, i.e. Juggernaut and Abomination.

You'll have to come up with something better than Cain 'Gorilla Arms' (or is that "Penis-Head" you refer to?) Marko to convince me that Brood Queen isn't well-done.

Even Toad who lacked articulation has much better sculpting and detail than any hasbro figure.

He's also about two inches too tall, and thanks to his terrible articulation, can't even pretend to assume a crouching pose that would hide it.

The best Hasbro figures: the ones used from old Toy Biz sculpts, i.e. cannonball and Domino. Toy biz is just seeing what they can get away with. How much will we pay to assemble the BAF? They are calling our bluff with ever low quality figure they produce (Bucky, are kidding me?).

Bucky, interestingly enough, is made from a TB sculpt (Patriot). There's about as much Hasbro in him as there is in Domino, so this really isn't helping any point you're trying to make. If you want to talk character selection, then you're still not gaining too much ground, as there are plenty of Golden Age/1st Appearance fans out there who were much more excited about Bucky than Domino. Second-rate classic Marvel character or second-rate 90's X-Man? That debate could quite literally go on forever.

And yet I have every BAF ever made. Whoever proposed the idea of a BAF was a marketing genius. I buy these low-rent figures just so I can assemble the freakin' BAF.

And now you've completely lost me. Why do you continue to buy figures you don't want? Why not trade or buy the parts here on the boards? Heck, you can buy complete BAFs on eBay cheaper than the cost of an entire wave, or just cherry-pick the figures you want and go to eBay for the individual parts you still need- even with shipping, they are often cheaper than the figure with tax at the local store.

Why complain when you obviously have access to alternatives?

The same people who claim to hate the "I hate HASBRO" threads because they think they're tiresome, tedious, etc, are ALWAYS posting on these exact same threads.

In other words, if the thread is so tiresome, why read it? And why post?

Probably for the same reason you post to complain about complaining about complaining.

Read above for a few examples of how TB messed up in many of the areas you praise them in. I have more examples if you'd like them.

And BTW...overall sales of "Legends" are down since Hasbro took over. So apparently, there's lots of folks like me who protest with their wallets.

Overall sales over what period of time? Through what distributors? To what countries? Do these numbers only include the 'core' ML line, or 'satellite' lines like the various Hulk, X-Men, and Spider-Man lines? Then there's the question of who complied and presented this info...

It's not that I'm actually doubting you, it's that this factoid is just hovering there without a source or support, and I'm wary to believe things like this before I get more information on it.

You obviously don't have figures like Astonishing Cyclops, FF Legends Thing, The Brood Queen, FF Legends Doc Doom & Mole man, Danger, Xorn, FA Captain America, Planet Hulk etc in your collection, because they are as detailed a sculpt as as anything Toybiz put out......

"Artistically speaking", there's no difference in the level of detail there.

Besides the head Planet Hulk is a TB mold(yeah, hate sticking up for the haters but i had to get that out)BUT! the head is a good sculpt so :D

And yeah FA Cap is well as sculpted as anything TB laid their hands on he's just sculpted to fit his classic FA look and i LIKE it, would REALLY like it if Hasbro would give him a normal Cap head and a blue neck and the normal round shield and release as a store exclusive or something.

Also, TBs "artistic touch" ruined some figures, Ultron, ML7 Apoc, ML2 Dr Doom, just to name a few.

ya but look at the lines of the TB ML lines, and look at the first 4 line we have from hasbro. they dont compare, the TB legends are just better quality, and it was more exciting to find the new line of the TB legends in stores than it is now with the hasbro ones, and even though hasbro makes more fan requested characters, they stray from the original concepts the fans want.

you can refresh you memory of what each line looks like here:

Refresh your ML memory

oh and a p.s. question:

Is it true that the cost of figures are going up because of rising oil prices?

true or false

Do we need another post bashing Hasbro? I mean aren't there like 400 of them by the same 15 people whing about Hasbro over and over again. It seems like as soon as it falls off the forum page, someone else has to add it to try and make everyone "try to think" their way. Just get over it. If you don't like the line, or the product, just friggin quit buying them and go collect something else like Barbies or Lil Petz. If you can't afford the price of the hobby, get a better job, make more money, work 2 jobs, budget better, save your pennies, freakin try recycling all the damn soda cans or beer bottles you drink, dump your over priced girlfriend, get rid of your rice rocket car, or your gas guzzling truck, whatever it takes to get the toys you want other then stealing of course. But please, dont come in here whining about the price of the toys or oil, who cares? If it truly ends up being to expensive, it sounds like the hobby just isnt right for your pocket book. Come back to it when you do have some good cash flow. I have the money, I have the interest in the characters, and I have the attitude that I could care less about the articulation, paint apps, and crappy facial sculpts. I just want the closest likeness to the comicbook characters they are willing to give. Back in the late 90's toybiz sold these 5 inch pieces of crap that people loved. They had what like 5 P.O.A and people loved them. Now people just to damn spoiled. Disagree or agree, I really don't care. As long as Marvel Toys are being made, regardless if it is by Toybiz, Hasbro, Mattel, Neca, whoever, I will support it. We probably won't see products this wonderful for many years to come. Enjoy it while you can!

Do we need another post bashing Hasbro? I mean aren't there like 400 of them by the same 15 people whing about Hasbro over and over again. It seems like as soon as it falls off the forum page, someone else has to add it to try and make everyone "try to think" their way. Just get over it. If you don't like the line, or the product, just friggin quit buying them and go collect something else like Barbies or Lil Petz. If you can't afford the price of the hobby, get a better job, make more money, work 2 jobs, budget better, save your pennies, freakin try recycling all the damn soda cans or beer bottles you drink, dump your over priced girlfriend, get rid of your rice rocket car, or your gas guzzling truck, whatever it takes to get the toys you want other then stealing of course. But please, dont come in here whining about the price of the toys or oil, who cares? If it truly ends up being to expensive, it sounds like the hobby just isnt right for your pocket book. Come back to it when you do have some good cash flow. I have the money, I have the interest in the characters, and I have the attitude that I could care less about the articulation, paint apps, and crappy facial sculpts. I just want the closest likeness to the comicbook characters they are willing to give. Back in the late 90's toybiz sold these 5 inch pieces of crap that people loved. They had what like 5 P.O.A and people loved them. Now people just to damn spoiled. Disagree or agree, I really don't care. As long as Marvel Toys are being made, regardless if it is by Toybiz, Hasbro, Mattel, Neca, whoever, I will support it. We probably won't see products this wonderful for many years to come. Enjoy it while you can!

if you dont like these post or have a problem with them then why do you contribute to the post by replying?