Channing Tatum Interview.....

RobbieDigital

I saw this over at MSN.com.........I don't know how this is with re-posting stuff so Mods do what you will. But he says some interesting stuff. This is an excerpt from the interview about stop-loss.....it started out with Tatum talking about a head butting contest he was having with some troops from stop-loss.

Tatum just reunited with his "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" director Dito Montiel on the upcoming action flick "Fighting," but is currently playing a soldier once again in the big-screen version of "G.I. Joe." Although, according to Tatum, the "Star Wars"-like production has him playing more of a comic book character than a "real" American hero.

Tatum says, "Originally, I passed on the movie because I was afraid of playing a fantasy war movie. In a time of war, I was like, 'It's just not right.' Then when I read the script [i realized] it's 'X-Men.' That's all it is. No one's taking it too serious. [Director] Stephen Sommers is a big kid with a really large erector set."

Joining Tatum in next year's expected blockbuster are Sienna Miller, Dennis Quaid and one of his "Stop-Loss" co-stars, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Tatum notes, "Joe's killing it. I haven't seen him do any of his Cobra, any of his doctor scenes yet."

Realizing his slip of the tongue, Tatum pauses and adds, "I hope I didn't just give something away."

With Tatum admitting he'd spent some time with a shotgun or two growing up in Alabama, I asked him what it was like to shoot the "G.I. Joe" laser guns Levitt had mentioned earlier that morning.

"Uh, pulses. Not so much lasers, but pulses," Tatum says. "Big difference."

Uh, sure, Channing, as long as you're not taking it too seriously.

"Stop-Loss" opens nationwide March 28.

Could Gordon-Levitt not be cast as Cobra Commander????

Ah, but was "Cobra" the slip, or "Doctor"?

If the first, then G-L as CC still makes sense. But if Doctor was the slip? Are we suggesting the movieverse wull have a youthful Dr. Venom, or Mindbender being groomed as a future sequel's focus?

If the first, then G-L as CC still makes sense. But if Doctor was the slip? Are we suggesting the movieverse wull have a youthful Dr. Venom, or Mindbender being groomed as a future sequel's focus?

I'm just wondering if they somehow could have mixed the characters of Dr. Venom and CC together?? To make a movie origin/version of CC.

See the pinned movie thread above about "doctor" and Cobra Commander.

"Then when I read the script [i realized] it's 'X-Men.' That's all it is. No one's taking it too serious. [Director] Stephen Sommers is a big kid with a really large erector set."

That right there worries me. X-men was good but could have been better, and for a 2 hour movie not much happened. It was a simple movie. It was based on the matrix according to the costume designers etc.So in other words, another movie going to be based on something else other than its own preperty. But also, noones taking it seriously? Not that they are trying to make some kind of tear jerker, but to me if noone will take it at least a little seriously, it might reflect in the overall movie. Most lines of work I know if theres no professionalism or ethics, it shows. Hopefully I am wrong and reading too much into it. I am still hoping this is going to be one hell of a movie, well worth the wait. I want it to be awesome and really put Gi Joe on the map. I know gi joe is on the map now, just for this movie to give the brand positive reinforcment. I know I was really into xmen, the comics were great, like back in the 80s. But the movie for me kind of turned me against the brand. I still like the classics, but thats all. I liked the second movie alot better and the third was up there too. Just look at star wars phantom menace. we waited 20 years for that? Revenge of the sith did kind of redeem the line, even if some parts were just squeezed in to fill the gap and some questions of the timeline etc.

Sorry for going off topic. Just trying to make a point.

I'm just wondering if they somehow could have mixed the characters of Dr. Venom and CC together?? To make a movie origin/version of CC.

you guys are reading far too much into the comment. don't overanalyze the characters in this movie with characters in the comic just because there is something similar in their names. Levitt's character being a "doctor" has absolutely no relation to whether there was a Dr. Mindbender, or Dr. Venom or Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman in the comics or cartoon.

you guys are reading far too much into the comment. don't overanalyze the characters in this movie with characters in the comic just because there is something similar in their names. Levitt's character being a "doctor" has absolutely no relation to whether there was a Dr. Mindbender, or Dr. Venom or Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman in the comics or cartoon.

Yeah, but if you look at Dr. Venom and Cobra Commander........and then put the 2 characters and origins into a Hollywood blender.......In a way I could see how they could be put into one character on screen.

I remember reading a while back that some of the basis for CC was that he was one of their own gone rogue........I can see something where CC could be a Dr. in the GI Joe research team and does some things that aren't in line with the Joes core values and Hawk gives him the boot........thus making him want revenge and maybe trying to sell whatever he was making to Destro.

Its just fun to speculate........but the Doctor thing had to be the slip up.....I thought it was weird how he compared it to "X-men." Plus, we know we are getting lasers of some kind.

Yeah, but if you look at Dr. Venom and Cobra Commander........and then put the 2 characters and origins into a Hollywood blender.......In a way I could see how they could be put into one character on screen.

I remember reading a while back that some of the basis for CC was that he was one of their own gone rogue........I can see something where CC could be a Dr. in the GI Joe research team and does some things that aren't in line with the Joes core values and Hawk gives him the boot........thus making him want revenge and maybe trying to sell whatever he was making to Destro.

Its just fun to speculate........but the Doctor thing had to be the slip up.....I thought it was weird how he compared it to "X-men." Plus, we know we are getting lasers of some kind.

you're right, it is fun to speculate. but if you want to know the answer, read the stickied movie thread, it gives away the entire movie.

Y'know, not EVERYONE in a movie HAS to be connected to make drama work. I hate the fact that Darth Vader created C-3PO. I hate that Joey fell in love with Rachel on Friends. And I hate that everyone is related to each other on LOST. C'mon, just give us "Hey, I'm a self-started super villian and you're a good guy in my way of world domination- let's fight!"

Y'know, not EVERYONE in a movie HAS to be connected to make drama work. I hate the fact that Darth Vader created C-3PO. I hate that Joey fell in love with Rachel on Friends. And I hate that everyone is related to each other on LOST. C'mon, just give us "Hey, I'm a self-started super villian and you're a good guy in my way of world domination- let's fight!"

You're right about that Salvo, but... Cobra Commander's brother killed Snake Eyes' family in a head-on collision... which eventually drove him to Storm Shadow's Arashikage clan... and then their teacher was killed by Zartan, who was hired by Cobra Commander at the suggestion of Firefly... who trained at the Arashikage school... with Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes and Doctor Mindbender...

Okay, not that last one, but still. @loll@

Tom

Is it just me or does it sound like this Carol Channing Tatum guy has nothing but contempt in his heart for the fans already? Good luck getting that "Duke Movie Likeness" figure signed at a Convention...this guy considers himself too serious an actor for that...the second coming of Sean Penn and Harrison Ford I fear....

My theory on his "Slip" is just red hearing thrown in on purpose because he is a tool, but that might be giving him too much credit on the intelligence scale.

You're right about that Salvo, but... Cobra Commander's brother killed Snake Eyes' family in a head-on collision... which eventually drove him to Storm Shadow's Arashikage clan... and then their teacher was killed by Zartan, who was hired by Cobra Commander at the suggestion of Firefly... who trained at the Arashikage school... with Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes and Doctor Mindbender...

Okay, not that last one, but still. @loll@

Tom

exactly, because the comic wasn't 6 degrees of Snake Eyes. in fact, the whole "in-bred" aspect of this story is one of its only similarities to the comic.

My theory on his "Slip" is just red hearing thrown in on purpose because he is a tool, but that might be giving him too much credit on the intelligence scale.

yes, he is so consumed with his role in this fantasy movie he is intent on throwing people off the trail, when nobody was on it to begin with.

before throwing out insults to the man you should probably be more informed about what you are talking about, because it makes you sound like just as much of a tool.

Is it just me or does it sound like this Carol Channing Tatum guy has nothing but contempt in his heart for the fans already? Good luck getting that "Duke Movie Likeness" figure signed at a Convention...this guy considers himself too serious an actor for that...the second coming of Sean Penn and Harrison Ford I fear....

I never really cared about that stuff.......I always heard how Harrison Ford was when it comes to Star Wars stuff......its just a job to them thats all. Just because they play a character from a property that you like doesn't mean they have to be huge fans. The Star Wars stuff is a little ridiculous anyway..........half the time when they say they are fans they may not even really mean it.

Does anyone watch "Entourage"?? I'm just curious.....cause there is a great example of something like that......Vinnie Chase the actor in the show is going to play Aquaman in a movie and he goes to San Diego for Comic-Con and his publicist gives him a little packet of essential stuff about the character so he doesn't look like an idiot in front of the fans to give the movie a bad buzz.......basically he didn't give a rats ass about the character or his history. He quickly read over it and in interviews he said he "Was a huge fan." I wonder how many times that really happens......

Its just a job for these guys......not a "Dream Come True"

I didn't have a huge issue with the guy until I heard of his film "Stop Loss" which paints the military as some crafty, sneaky, unsympathetic machine that manipulates soldiers and ruins their lives. It's one big lie of a movie, and it bothers me that this guy - who is the star of that film - is playing a character who is supposed to symbolize the good and noble aspects of the military.

Plus, I like how he might not have taken the role because making a fantasy war film during a time of war is innappropriate... buuut making a movie about how the government lies and exploits it's soldiers (when everyone knows about the threat of stop-loss prior to enlisting) is in no way inappropriate or possibly dangerous. I'm glad he has the insight and education to draw those lines.

Tom

I didn't have a huge issue with the guy until I heard of his film "Stop Loss" which paints the military as some crafty, sneaky, unsympathetic machine that manipulates soldiers and ruins their lives. It's one big lie of a movie, and it bothers me that this guy - who is the star of that film - is playing a character who is supposed to symbolize the good and noble aspects of the military.

Plus, I like how he might not have taken the role because making a fantasy war film during a time of war is innappropriate... buuut making a movie about how the government lies and exploits it's soldiers (when everyone knows about the threat of stop-loss prior to enlisting) is in no way inappropriate or possibly dangerous. I'm glad he has the insight and education to draw those lines.

Tom

Yeah, it could be called "Small Print"........even though its not really in the small print. You get what I'm saying. Even though from what I've seen in the previews for "Stop-Loss" it looks like his character is not the one crying about going back.

you're right, it is fun to speculate. but if you want to know the answer, read the stickied movie thread, it gives away the entire movie.

Meh, no thanks. I've already got my mind pretty set that this is a new Joeverse, so I'm not going to go in expecting too much -- and reading a spoiler of the whole movie would be counter-productive to my enjoyment of what homages are in place, and whatnew mythos or changes they make. Thankfully, I've been attuned to that with past superhero movies and shows: the media of comic and movie are far too different.

In comics, the publishers' goal is for the reader to come back month after month, year after year. If a villain becomes popular, the publisher has to make certain there's a way for that villain to return periodically. Resolutions are temporary; the status quo of the comic book world is that each resolution needs to set up the next conflict. Also, a franchise builds upon its characters, also to attract and maintain long-time fans. You simply cannot stray too far from the icon, or those fans will balk and turn away from the comic. We've seen this before: Azrael Batman, Heroes Reborn to name some examples that aren't fresh, hot-button topics. :) The advantage in these long-running characters is that you do not have to introduce them to the reader each and every issue.

In movies, the parameters are quite different. The producers have two hours and change to tell a single story, with a beginning, a conflict, and a definite resolution. In this age of planned trilogies, you can have a leeway of some foreshadowing of a future villain in the first installment(s), but even ten years ago, you had to have a resolution. Look at the older generation of DC movies: Chris Reeve's Superman: He saves the day, and Lex goes to jail (caveat: before the popular opinion of revolving-door criminal justice). In Tim Burton's Batman (and later directors of that series): If you were a villain, you were likely going to die by movie's end. Joker? Dead. Penguin? Dead. Two-Face? Dead. Also, the movie's limited time has to introduce the characters in the first reel to a far wider spectrum of audience than have read the comic. Backstories will simplify because of this. Look at how slowly we found out that GI Joe was 'Six Degrees of Snake-Eyes.' It took almost two years to realize that Snake-Eyes was a ninja. We were introduced to the car crash that killed Snakes' family in what, #26? What issue did Cobra Commander finally reveal that it was his brother driving that car, hm? After #100, I'm pretty sure -- over six years later. You don't have that luxury of time in a movie.

Anyhow, I went off tangent. It's fun to speculate, but for me, not to have the thing spoiled. And remember, they are currently shooting the film. There is such a thing as 'daily rewrites'. A scene that sounds decent on paper may look completely wrong on film. You also know that "alternate ending" that some films add on DVD? That's often the result of a 'daily rewrite' -- or a test screening that polled poorly. The spoiler can still change.

You understand that its just "acting", don't you?

An actor can play a gay murderer in one film, and a upstanding preacher in their next......its not a reflection of them as a person---its just a portrayal they've been hired to depict. You are the one imposing your reference and values on the actor......is it necessarily fair to do that because their working reality is clearly different than your perceptions?

Is it just me or does it sound like this Carol Channing Tatum guy has nothing but contempt in his heart for the fans already?

Oh please........

Once again.......what part of "its just a job to some of these guys" is there a problem with?

Does EVERYONE on the planet have to be a warbling fan of the thing to be worthwhile?

Hey, I just did storyboards for Spaceballs: the Animated Series.

I HATE the movie, cannot stand it--I think its incredibly un-funny material.

But I did the job and the director and producer loved the work I did.

I did the material just like it was in the movie......for the fans of the movie.

That's what the job was.

Could it be possible that someone can rise to the occasion of work like this ( storyboarding or acting) and NOT be a fan of the material? Are these people not allowed to have opinions and tastes of their own about something?

Does dismissing the material ( because its not to their liking) automatically mean contempt for you--because the <gasp>rest of the world doesn't like the same things you like?

Or have you just undergone what's called a "knee-jerk reaction"?

Is it just me or does it sound like this Carol Channing Tatum guy has nothing but contempt in his heart for the fans already?

Oh please........

Once again.......what part of "its just a job to some of these guys" is there a problem with?

Does EVERYONE on the planet have to be a warbling fan of the thing to be worthwhile?

Hey, I just did storyboards for Spaceballs: the Animated Series.

I HATE the movie, cannot stand it--I think its incredibly un-funny material.

But I did the job and the director and producer loved the work I did.

I did the material just like it was in the movie......for the fans of the movie.

That's what the job was.

Could it be possible that someone can rise to the occasion of work like this ( storyboarding or acting) and NOT be a fan of the material? Are these people not allowed to have opinions and tastes of their own about something?

Does dismissing the material ( because its not to their liking) automatically mean contempt for you--because the <gasp>rest of the world doesn't like the same things you like?

Or have you just undergone what's called a "knee-jerk reaction"?

It really seems to bother you whenever someone expresses a dislike for this movie. You know it's ok not to like it and they don't really need to justify to you or anyone why they don't.

It really seems to bother you whenever someone expresses a dislike for this movie. You know it's ok not to like it and they don't really need to justify to you or anyone why they don't.

No Jeff, its not the dislike some people have for the movie that bothers me.

Its ignorant fans claiming that actors and other folks working on the movie have this strange contempt for fans that bothers me.

I'd like the above poster to justify how someone just doing a job they've been hired for, who may or may not have had any interest or association to GIJOE toys, comics or cartoons could be seen as having contempt because he dismisses the premise as "fantasy".

I've been calling it that for years now, and I'm undeniably a fan.

If something has no bearing on reality what is it? Its fantasy.

Personally, I DO have contempt for some fans (but you'd never tell it in the work that I do). I hold some fans in contempt because they can be close-minded and ignorant, overly fixated on their own selfish interests and abusive in the extreme to the people that supply them with the products they consume .

Yea, I'd call that a recipe for contempt.

Its also totally unneccessary and undeserved on the fan's part. That's my perennial beef with complainers......they are not facilitators of anything but their own misery.

All they do is vent, and far more often than not, they don't even lift a finger to learn anything more about the things they are fans about. There own consumption remains paramount....as does their ignorance.

I have no objection to someone say that Channing Tatum is "not their idea of the guy that should play Duke", or that they imagined Duke being a bit older or taller or whatever than the actor cast. Those are fair criticisms.

But saying the actor personally holds fans in contempt because they consider the film to be "less than serious" is bizarrely beyond the pale.

An actor can play a gay murderer in one film, and a upstanding preacher in their next......its not a reflection of them as a person---its just a portrayal they've been hired to depict. You are the one imposing your reference and values on the actor......is it necessarily fair to do that because their working reality is clearly different than your perceptions?

Always a pleasure to see you, Ken. : )

Of course I'm not blind to the fact that he is an actor, not the creator of the film.

However, I do believe that actors typically take jobs they want to take, especially if they're not bottom-of-the-barrel performers. If the script sounds good to them, they take it. If it sounds like garbage, they won't. Especially since Tatum has expressed that his personal beliefs play a role in his taking on of roles ( fantasy war film in time of a real war) I don't think my claim is that outlandish.

Tom

Actors also take on roles as a matter of career poltics and personal promotion.

One cannot deny that something like GIJOE will attract box-office, thus be a career boost to a young actor, in terms of exposure.

Shia LeBeouf and Megan Fox both recieved considerable exposure for their roles in Transformers, clearly "smart business moves" on their part--and doubtlessly their agents had things to say about what their participation would bring.

Artistry and personal relevance isn't the only criteria for taking on a acting role.

I have a feeling you didn't read what Channing said very thoroughly, as he obviously thinks it's more than just acting; @wink@

Tatum says, "Originally, I passed on the movie because I was afraid of playing a fantasy war movie. In a time of war, I was like, 'It's just not right.' Then when I read the script [i realized] it's 'X-Men.' That's all it is. No one's taking it too serious. [Director] Stephen Sommers is a big kid with a really large erector set."

Apparently, he thinks it's okay to be in a movie like "Stop Loss" which is drenched in political agenda and is fictitious, but has a moral conflict with a fantasy war movie. It's interesting that these morality based decisions only seem to come up with hollywood types when it comes to the war. Personally, I feel that GI Joe has profound meaning and is very distinctive in voice, which is why it bothers me that he is fine promoting Stop Loss, but has to think twice over GI Joe. It raises the question, what is Tatum against promoting? Is he worried about children thinking war is fun? If that is all that he means, I can accept that. However, violence and death will still be there. So, unless he can point out his distinct reluctancies, I have reason to believe that he was worried that the GI Joe movie was going to endorse fighting against real threats like the kind of terrorism we see today, thereby justifying the war we are now in. I don't see a problem with that, but he might.

Personally, I feel that GI Joe has profound meaning and is very distinctive in voice, which is why it bothers me that he is fine promoting Stop Loss,

Uhhh........profound meaning?

Its "good guys versus bad guys"...a simple premise intended for a toy-line.

Anything else is just tacked on.

I am VERY MUCH against war, yet I collect war toys. Its not a dichotomy I need to explain to anyone, nor do they need to "get it" to appreciate that I clearly enjoy my hobby and embrace a heartfelt belief at the same time.

People expect others to be consistent ( in fact, consistency is a prized trait in many cultures) but how realistic is that expectation?

Honestly, its not, because the real world and real people often come with a lot more varied motives and drives. Acknowledging that is just understanding that people are "human".

Apparently, he thinks it's okay to be in a movie like "Stop Loss" which is drenched in political agenda and is fictitious, but has a moral conflict with a fantasy war movie. It's interesting that these morality based decisions only seem to come up with hollywood types when it comes to the war.

Or maybe its a role with an interesting character or story that expands the actor's abilities and perceptions in a way that is different and refreshing to that actor--and adds to their performance portfolio?