TRU Crimson Guard set expectations

cobratroopers

Here is what I would like to see from the TRU Crimson Guard troop builder set

A return to the classic 1985 color (dark blood red)

Maybe silver or dark gray face masks this time around.

A kitbashed Crimson Guard Immortal or possibly a crimson viper (cv X2, cg x2, and cgi x1)

Tomax, Xamot, Firefly, and Baroness need not apply.

Here is a custom a guy did of the 25th CG in 80's colors. I think it looks far better than the current one.

post-13371-1206192473_thumb.jpg

They are a weird color, not crimson but more of an orangish rust color. The 80's color of crimson represents them much better and was one of the key design elements that made these guys stand out. That is what this line is about isn't it, Updating the classic 80's looks. The current ones are alright I would just like to see them release a better product. Since TRU sets are repaints, this is the perfect time.

I love the sculpt and would just like to see the figure look it's best before all you can find are black and python versions.

I don't see anything particularly inaccurate about the Crimson Guards we've recieved. I am not a picky person, so if a Cobra Viper comes in Royal Blue or Navy Blue, I do not beat myself over the head in desire of another shade. Same goes for the suggested discrepancy between 'red' 'rust' or 'crimson'. I've always seen it this way - for whatever one fan claims is accurate, another decries and completely off. It's a matter of personal taste, really.

And, just out of my own curiosity (as I do not have my Crimson Guard unit available to me out here) when did the Crimson Guard come with a grey faceplate? I do not recall this, and while the cartoon cast their black accents in a very dark grey, that is simply artistic limitations. Like Spiderman being percieved as blue in certain areas, when they were always meant to be black. Just a matter of artistic conveyance.

I have never been a huge fan of the Crimson Everybody Else club. The Crimson Guard are an exclusive unit - a stilleto, not a mallet. Making an army out of them always felt inappropriate. In my little corner of the world, I always assumed the CG's never even wore thier uniforms, unless there was a task that required them to represent the whole Cobra elite regalia. Nothing frustrates me more than "Crimson Vipers". It's like... if the Special Forces were letting anybody in.

Tom

I've been pretty nitpicky about the 25th line overall. I didn't like the lack of articulation consistency (obvious examples like Destro, Roadblock and Lady Jaye and less obvious ones like Duke's arms), the overuse of molds (compared to RAH I mean, although I've come to terms with this... I still don't like the looks of that upcoming Major Bludd though), accessories (VVV reuse of Timber, no AK for the officer), small Cobra emblems (I don't mind them anymore), etc... But I've NEVER had a problem with the CG colours. It's not an exact match but none of the 25th colours are because of the plastic difference, so I don't mind.

If we get a CG multipack, (or should that be "when"? Even if it hasn't been announced you know it's going to come eventually), the only differences I'd like to see are gold or the yellowish symbols we've seen in the RAH CG multipacks. That way they'll more or less fit in with the CGs I have and make my army look bigger (for cheaper) and it'll be a nod to some of the newer RAH stuff, like when they did the Night Watch. Any drastic colour differences and they won't fit in as well (although a Shadow Guard would be alright too).

I'm perfectly happy with the current color and I hope the don't change it. I have already gotten a few of the CGs and if the box set are in a different color, they won't match, which would suck.

I agree with a lot of what has been said above.......I don't think their is anything wrong with the red color either. I just hope the set is pretty much a 5-pack of the single carded CG's. I'm not a big fan of the removable helmets.....even though the 25th helmets fit a lot better than the older JvC army-builder sets....I just want a 5-pack of CG's with no crazyness. Give 'em some cool accessories and I'm good 2 go.

10 bucks says this is a Shadow Crimson Guard pack, just like how they did the Nightwatch one. Toyfare already had the black CG in the magazine a few weeks ago

I actually think a nod to that one convention exclusive would be cool, and have a crimson baroness, twins, and 2 pre-paints of the viper

The night watch and red ninja sets aren't the same as what came before and no one cared. They will look sharp in the real crimson.

You seem mildly obsessed. @smilepunch@

Tom

I guess I am, but no more than the Flint's sleeves crowd. Crimson Guards are my thing and it's a mistake I wish they would fix. Why have it one way for 20+ years then change it on the tribute line? If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

The night watch and red ninja sets aren't the same as what came before and no one cared. They will look sharp in the real crimson.

Tom

I guess I am, but no more than the Flint's sleeves crowd. Crimson Guards are my thing and it's a mistake I wish they would fix. Why have it one way for 20+ years then change it on the tribute line? If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Maybe all the Crimson paint is in India with a bunch of the molds and Hasbro can't get it back. Or someone left the lid to the paint can off and now its dried up. @smilepunch@

(Insert factoid from obsessed Crimson fan)

"Nothing in the Funskool line was painted with PSX 700 Crimson Red Paint"

I never had the chance to pick up the original RAH version, but I picked up a single pack and the two pack fred/ scarface. I actually like these alot. The removable mask isn't bad, it fits good and doesn't look goofy on or off. The colors are good in my book. I think that scarface should have been acknowleged as scarface and not scarred cobra officer, as he is only 1, not a legion of scarred officers. There is a nod, but like I said thats my complaint. In the toyfair I am thinking that is a typo. That came from a top 10 list, and I could be wrong but if that was a varient we would have seen or heard about it, and be trying to get it, putting it on the top 10 list. As that is not the case. I just think the CG is a popular character and the normal figure is in the top 10. As far as a set goes, I don't think any change in color is necessary. Just look at the troops that were in the initial launch. Hasbro tried to make subtle changes with each new issued troop, and that was wrong.

the 2pack CG/Scarface is an awesome combo. i have no complaints about the colors, i hope the 6 pack uses this version with the removable helmet, i don't care if he's black or crimson, as long as the helmet is removable.

Tom

It is a little weird though - I mean, have you posted anything other than complaints about the colour used for the CG? A lot of people complained about the Flint sleeves, but I don't know anyone else that cares about the red they used for the CG... At least no one else has posted about it that I've seen.

I was looking at my RAH and 25th V2 Snake Eyes and the colours don't match up either. Does anyone care? What about Gung Ho? I'm pretty sure all the 25th colours are a little muted compared to the RAH versions, which were always pretty shiny looking.

For me, I don't care if they change to a more acurate colour or not. My Siegie army is complete I got the single carded troopers the twins and I kitbashed a Armored Cobra Comander into a Fred (simple headswap). The colour on the Siegies I've already got are good enough for me. I think I acutally perfer it to the original, but at the same time I've never been to picky on colour shades, I'm pretty sure I'm half colour blind anyway because I never notice things like this (what the hell is taupe?).

As far as 25th Crimson anything goes, I'm done. Thank you very much Hasbro. Also thanks for finally making elbow joints that can hold their weapons with two hands.

If I was going to be picky about any colours I would want the wave 2 troopers (Viper Glider Pilot) with a red Sigil instead of silver. Or Single Card the trooper from the first Cobra 5 pack. Take your pick however you want to say it.

I'm getting off topic so I'll end this post.

That's my $0.02

It is a little weird though - I mean, have you posted anything other than complaints about the colour used for the CG? A lot of people complained about the Flint sleeves, but I don't know anyone else that cares about the red they used for the CG... At least no one else has posted about it that I've seen.

I was looking at my RAH and 25th V2 Snake Eyes and the colours don't match up either. Does anyone care? What about Gung Ho? I'm pretty sure all the 25th colours are a little muted compared to the RAH versions, which were always pretty shiny looking.

I was about to say the same thing, DP. The 25th line duplicates the original look of our favorite figures as best it can, but is not slavishly loyal to their goal. Gung Ho's dulled colors, Wild Weasel's missing scarf, the Cobra officer's gray accents and should we even mention Serpentor?

I realize you have a certain color scheme you feel the Crimson Guard should fall under, but all in all I think you'll find few who care and even fewer who won't take the CG as he is just because of some shading issues. In my opinion, the CG is perfect, and is colored in the same flat red he has been in comics and cartoons for years. The only thing I find silly about your argument is that you presume that HASBRO has cast them in the wrong color, while they're the company that puts out the product. I really don't think your complaint stands in that regard.

I for one will not be buying the Crimson Ranking Officers (Whatever it's called) set just for a Crimson Guard with a painted visor and a garish gold and black CG. That, and I DESPISE Cobra Commander in all red... and while pictures of the TRU set have yet to surface, I can't see myself buying that one either... unless it has a surprise new figure in it, like a CGI or something. But the chances of that are like... what, .05 % ?

Tom

10 bucks says this is a Shadow Crimson Guard pack, just like how they did the Nightwatch one. Toyfare already had the black CG in the magazine a few weeks ago

I actually think a nod to that one convention exclusive would be cool, and have a crimson baroness, twins, and 2 pre-paints of the viper

That was a printing error, in the latest issue it's corrected showing the Wave 5 figure.

I was about to say the same thing, DP. The 25th line duplicates the original look of our favorite figures as best it can, but is not slavishly loyal to their goal. Gung Ho's dulled colors, Wild Weasel's missing scarf, the Cobra officer's gray accents and should we even mention Serpentor?

I realize you have a certain color scheme you feel the Crimson Guard should fall under, but all in all I think you'll find few who care and even fewer who won't take the CG as he is just because of some shading issues. In my opinion, the CG is perfect, and is colored in the same flat red he has been in comics and cartoons for years. The only thing I find silly about your argument is that you presume that HASBRO has cast them in the wrong color, while they're the company that puts out the product. I really don't think your complaint stands in that regard.

I for one will not be buying the Crimson Ranking Officers (Whatever it's called) set just for a Crimson Guard with a painted visor and a garish gold and black CG. That, and I DESPISE Cobra Commander in all red... and while pictures of the TRU set have yet to surface, I can't see myself buying that one either... unless it has a surprise new figure in it, like a CGI or something. But the chances of that are like... what, .05 % ?

Tom

Oh I disagree! The CG is not perfect at all. The helmet mold is way off. That is the part I most dislike. Look at the card art & the actual helmet. The face mask is more baboon-shaped than the angular original's. They even got the VvV RAH style CG set's helmet http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/crimsonguard3.shtml wrong. Then they go & give them a six shooter where they had a shotgun. Some things should not have been changed.

Then they go & give them a six shooter where they had a shotgun. Some things should not have been changed.

I find the six shooter silly, too!

...but I think the shotgun was a bit ridiculous, classic or not. Shotgun plus elite secret agents don't mix. @loll@

Tom