How awesome is Larry Hama?

Rollo Tomassi

Hama wrote pretty much EVERY issue of the original Marvel run ( I think there was a fill-in towards the very end) plus every issue of Special Missions, all the annuals and crossovers.

He wrote pretty much every file card of the original releases. ( I think Stephen King wrote Crystal Ball's filecard)

He has created this rich tapestry of backstory that has continued to this day with Devil's Dues current series and this epic saga is the reason we are all so passionate about these characters and how they will be portrayed in the upcoming film.

Let's face it, the cartoon was silly. The real reason GIJoe rocks is because of the comic continuity. And thats because of Hama.

This guy rocks. Show your appreciation for an amazing man.

Hama wrote pretty much EVERY issue of the original Marvel run ( I think there was a fill-in towards the very end) plus every issue of Special Missions, all the annuals and crossovers.

He wrote pretty much every file card of the original releases. ( I think Stephen King wrote Crystal Ball's filecard)

He has created this rich tapestry of backstory that has continued to this day with Devil's Dues current series and this epic saga is the reason we are all so passionate about these characters and how they will be portrayed in the upcoming film.

Let's face it, the cartoon was silly. The real reason GIJoe rocks is because of the comic continuity. And thats because of Hama.

This guy rocks. Show your appreciation for an amazing man.

I think someone's in ~looove~

Tom

Larry Hama wrote some good stuff! If i ever meet him, I wanna ask him where he got the idea for Stormshadow's dojo in the later issues. The dojo was based in downtown S.F. in a red brick walled penthouse.

Put it this way...if it weren't for Hama, the GI Joe characters we know today probably wouldn't exist. Sure, we'd still have the toys and whatnot, but the characters themselves would be something totally different.

Hell, if it weren't for Hama, GI Joe may not be around today (in ARAH form), as I think it's popularity had a little something to do with him, and the amazing backgrounds he gave our favorite 3 3/4" toys.

He's the man!

I like the latest G.I. Joe ad in Toyfare featuring a filecard for Hama. I'll have to scan it, if I have time later.

Larry Hama is the man! About 10 years ago, when I was assembling a complete set of the Marvel Comics run of GI Joe, Larry graciously offered to fill in the last few wholes in my collection. Those holes were the majority of the last 10 issues, which were fairly pricey and HTF. He sold them to me for cover price and offered to autograph them for me.

Thanks for your kindness Larry....and for your creative stories which helped make my childhood special.

P.S. Let's not turn this thread into a comic vs. cartoon war, please!

Hama certainly had some great classic stories in the comics, he had some bad stories to. As a kid though it was the cartoon that shapped my view of GIJoe, not the comics and not the file cards which usually got tossed in a drawer un-read. The first two GIJoe cartoon mini-series are the character representations I rememeber and associate with the most with, even today.

DUDE! LARRY HAMA IS SO TOTALLY THE MAN!!! This is crazy that I'm reading this thread right now, I just got done re-reading my Marvel GI Joe run (though I'm missing a few of the later issues), and started on my Special Missions full run today. And for those who don't know, Hama wrote the series for over ten years and created such an elaborate plot and story lines that spanned through the comics for years.

It was so cool that even though the GI Joe roster was so large, with just one or two word balloons, he clearly defined characters. And although some issues were self contained stories, there was always the underlying plot lines that motivated the story.

I dare say that GI Joe is one of the BEST comic series' ever made! And I love that he's writing the comics for the new 25th Anniversary 2 packs. While the stories are a little weak, they actually fill in some gaps of the original stories and provide motivation for key characters.

I strongly recommend anyone to get into the old school series. The only criticism I have for the early issues is the horrible artistic style of Herb Trimpe. The guy can tell a good story visually, his actual style sucks. However, this doesn't last forever and Larry Hama's writing more than makes up for it.

Yo Joe!

Haha! He sure did. I work with comic artist Joe St Pierre (he worked with Hama on Wolverine/ Venom: Tooth and Claw mini series in the 90's) and recently got him into reading GI Joe series. He tells me that when he was working with Larry Hama, he seemed really burnt out from writing.

For my favorite comic story, I would say it was the arc where Zartan switches places with Ripcord cause Storm Shadow is after him for killing his uncle who in turn gets blown away by Baroness. Zartan later still disguised as Ripcord makes his way to the PITT where he runs into SGT Slaughter.

I also liked the whole concept of how Cobra tricked GIJoe in the making of Cobra Island and making it a sovereign country where GIJoe could not go to without Cobra's permission. I did not like the whole Fred replacing Cobra Commander arc which lead to the Cobra Civil War.

Hama certainly had some great classic stories in the comics, he had some bad stories to. As a kid though it was the cartoon that shapped my view of GIJoe, not the comics and not the file cards which usually got tossed in a drawer un-read. The first two GIJoe cartoon mini-series are the character representations I rememeber and associate with the most with, even today.

But the cartoon characters were based off of the file cards for the characters for the most part. So, even though Hama may not have been writing the stories for the cartoons, the way the characters are represented in the cartoons was still influenced my Hama. :P

Larry Hama is G.I. Joe. Much love and props to Larry Hama. Peace out. War in.

For my favorite comic story, I would say it was the arc where Zartan switches places with Ripcord cause Storm Shadow is after him for killing his uncle who in turn gets blown away by Baroness. Zartan later still disguised as Ripcord makes his way to the PITT where he runs into SGT Slaughter.

Are you kidding me? Issue 34 was my very first GIJoe comic EVER. That's the one where Ripcord parachutes on to Cobra Island against orders and ends up getting beat up by Zartan at the end. I read it so many times the cover fell off, and then I read it 500 more times after that. That book got me started collecting comics!!

I had a chance to correspond with Mr. Hama several years ago - he is a very nice guy. I'm a lifelong fan of GI Joe and I will always feel a debt toward him for making the stories and characters.