the incredible hulk trailer

xmenstorm1

what if hollywood decided that hulk has to be red just because it is more dark then green. i think that the fans would go nuts here.

You are screwing with your own logic here.

A principal character like the Hulk is marketed as being big, green, muscular and wearing ripped pants.

That's a trademarked look. The Hulk is a product and that's why a change like that will not happen.

You CAN screw with the Abomination because the character is only a SUPPORTING element within the Hulk comics. His trademarked value is considerably less, so that is why they CAN change him.

After all.......I cannot recall any issues of Abomination comics--starring the Abomination, can you?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread reminds me of when the Transformers movie designs were released and all the diehard G1 Fanboys were screaming that Michael Bay was raping their childhood.

the trailer is great it dosent give too much away and the glimps of the showdown with abomination looks marvelous and the abomination himself looks way better then the toy and looks like is going to kick some ass

Now that they're blasting the Abomination's look for the movie, I can't wait for the Wolverine Origins - and probably there's gonna be an uproar too if (duhh!) Gambit doesn't look anything like that Ragin Cajun is in comics or if Deadpool ain't wearing that trademark red suit of his etc, etc., Ditto for the other mutant characters. We'll see . . . .

This thread reminds me of when the Transformers movie designs were released and all the diehard G1 Fanboys were screaming that Michael Bay was raping their childhood.

Who's crying that their childhood's been raped? I haven't seen that. If this is attacking me, heck, I didn't even know who the Abomination was as a kid. And to be perfectly blunt, I’m not much of a Hulk fan to begin with. This movie certainly won’t be receiving the bulk of my attention. Raping my childhood? Pssh! Don’t exaggerate. I simply think he’s look cooler with the ears.

A principal character like the Hulk is marketed as being big, green, muscular and wearing ripped pants.

That's a trademarked look. The Hulk is a product and that's why a change like that will not happen.

You CAN screw with the Abomination because the character is only a SUPPORTING element within the Hulk comics. His trademarked value is considerably less, so that is why they CAN change him.

After all.......I cannot recall any issues of Abomination comics--starring the Abomination, can you?

I see your logic concerning things like the Hulk and color, he’s too iconic to change, but that doesn’t change the fact that there are some things you just can’t change. You still need some type of resemblance there, be it physically or in the caricatures personality itself. It gets to a point when you alter and modify so much that the character you’re using ceases to be that character and we lose everything that attracted us to it in the first place. I’m not implying that’s happened with Abomination, by all rights his personality is still identical, but you can’t go mad with adjustments. Tim Burtons Penguin comes to mind. He was so drastically changed that, by all rights, that wasn’t even the Penguin but rather some short and pudgy guy who was fond of umbrellas.

Who’s really to deem what characters should and shouldn‘t be altered? One mans nobody could be another’s treasure. Look at myself and Mysterio, not a huge seller. Hypothetically, what if a film did take away his fishbowl? Would that be Mysterio? In my world, not at all. What it comes down to is respect for the character, truthfulness towards the spirit of the character, and recognizable traits. I think it’s undeniable that we all basically view the comic book Abomination as the Hulk mixed with the Creature from the Black Lagoon. The scales and ears emphasize who he is, otherwise he’s just another generic Hulk clone. This is why I feel they’re important.

Abomination in the movie would look fine the way it already is. Too much attention to making it look to close to comic fantasy would give you back the result from the first movie. Too cheesy, too gimmicky and comicky. And would only attract die hard Marvel fans, and kids and turn off the wide demographic including mature audiences. Also, if you added the pointy ears, there would be some bit of resemblance to a mutated War Skrull, or some monstrous Imp from the Harry Potter films or a gamma irradiated Mr. Spock or the . . .Impossible Man!!

Are you actually implying that a wimpy scientist that turns into a not to jolly green giant when angered is drastically more realistic then, for all intensive purposes, the very same thing…but with scales? I’m sorry but I find that ridiculously illogical.

Now that they're blasting the Abomination's look for the movie, I can't wait for the Wolverine Origins - and probably there's gonna be an uproar too if (duhh!) Gambit doesn't look anything like that Ragin Cajun is in comics or if Deadpool ain't wearing that trademark red suit of his etc, etc., Ditto for the other mutant characters. We'll see . . . .

Your better believe I'll complain if Gambit doesn't have a Cajin accent. You wouldn't? Gambit without an accent is like Wolverine without claws - it doesn't work.

i like the abomination's new look, i thought he looked goofy in the comic books,

abomination.jpg

i actually prefer the abomination to the hulk.

Well he did have a 3 issue mini back in the late nineties. @smilepunch@

I'm a huge Hulk fan second only to the Punisher, I've been a fan since around late 90's. I think the trailer looks great, sure CG isn't perfected yet but that really doesn't bother me. As long as they stick close to the source stuff for the story; the origins doesn't have to be exactly the same as in the comics, I hope he's already the Hulk from the beginning, but if he's not hopefully they'll get to the point. Edward Norton is a great actor and I don't think he's ever done a horrible movie so I have hope. #US1#

This isn't an origin movie, so he will be the Hulk at the start of the movie. Actually from what I've heard he'll "Hulk out" within the first 3 minutes of the flick.

Who’s really to deem what characters should and shouldn‘t be altered? One mans nobody could be another’s treasure. Look at myself and Mysterio, not a huge seller. Hypothetically, what if a film did take away his fishbowl? Would that be Mysterio? In my world, not at all.

Figures, . . . you don't need convincing from my side or anybody. If you like 'em strictly comic style that's your choice. To each his own. Some of us here don't live in this world with a fish bowl on our heads. @loll@

Who’s really to deem what characters should and shouldn‘t be altered? One mans nobody could be another’s treasure. Look at myself and Mysterio, not a huge seller. Hypothetically, what if a film did take away his fishbowl? Would that be Mysterio? In my world, not at all.

Figures, . . . you don't need convincing from my side or anybody. If you like 'em strictly comic style that's your choice. To each his own. Some of us here don't live in this world with a fish bowl on our heads. @loll@

The fishbowl line was cute, not even going to lie. But I agree - to each their own. :)

How Abomination looks in the movie:

PHh1uhjnsnXnkk.jpg

How he could have looked:

abs_dP.jpg

I didn't create the manip, btw. Props to bigimagesigns-1 over at imdb.com.

I see your logic concerning things like the Hulk and color, he’s too iconic to change, but that doesn’t change the fact that there are some things you just can’t change. You still need some type of resemblance there, be it physically or in the caricatures personality itself. It gets to a point when you alter and modify so much that the character you’re using ceases to be that character and we lose everything that attracted us to it in the first place. I’m not implying that’s happened with Abomination, by all rights his personality is still identical, but you can’t go mad with adjustments. Tim Burtons Penguin comes to mind. He was so drastically changed that, by all rights, that wasn’t even the Penguin but rather some short and pudgy guy who was fond of umbrellas.

Who’s really to deem what characters should and shouldn‘t be altered? One mans nobody could be another’s treasure

But what's been changed? The essential essence and core attributes of the characters, or just the surface gloss?

The Penguin is a good example.

In Batman Returns, the character was short, rotund, still wore a tux, still had a grossly hawkish nose, still was named Oswald Cobblepot, still used umbrellas and umbrella based weapons, and maintained a bird-motif for most of his crimes or headquarters.

What was different?

He was gross, monstrous in his mentality, had birth-defect hands and ate fish.

I don't see those differences as being major losses to the character, in fact they provide some contrast and interesting story points for the character.

Cobblepot becomes wealthy, comes FROM a well-to-do family, but they reject him because of his abnormalities--he takes inspiration from a animal-form to adopt a new persona. Bruce Wayne, by contrast is also wealthy, but came from loving parents who were torn from him by murder. He too, adopts a animal-form as a new persona. The two characters veer off by fate and choice.

Now, Batman Returns has a weak story overall anyway, but the characters were not the flaw of that story. The alterations of the character fit the story as is.

The Penguin could have been cast as a tall person, with a muscular physique, and handsome profile, he could have been a character with no resemblance AT ALL to his comic book counterpart except the name. We got changes, but the core essence--the most interesting parts--of the character remain.

What I have seen of the Abomination says its a similar approach--maintaining some core elements but making small changes. He's still big and monstrous, still likely Gamma-ray spawned, still likely a foreign agent or criminal of some kind, and he fights the Hulk.

So he lacks the green skin and winglets........neither of those is a deal-breaker with the character.

So all this is really about some stupid ears sheesh, talk about blowing things out of proportion,why don't we all just let it go and wait for the actual movie to come out so we can make a proper argument. Oh yeah uh adding photoshop ears just makes Abomination look like an overgrown gremlin so uh.. not really helping things.

on the IMDB OR IMBD website it says the cast includes tony stark is he in it.?????????

i think i read it in wikipedia that robert downey jr. will make a cameo in the hulk movie reprising his role as tony stark...