H.E.A.T. Vipers

DarthJoe

I was just setting up my Cobra troops, and stumbled across my 3 HEAT Vipers. I had never payed them much mind before, but after I had them all geared up, and standing next to each other, I was surprised at just how cool they actually look.

I always see people talking about Night Vipers and Alley Vipers, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone really mention HEAT Vipers when it comes to cool figures or army building. I'd love to see an army of about 30 of these, with all of their gear on (the gear is what makes this figure really stand out). I'd do it myself if I didn't have other collecting priorities, and had the space.

On a side note, people always talk about the glory years for RAH being 84-86, or somewhere around there, but IMO some of the best Cobra troopers came out in 89 and 90. There's a ton of cool troop builders from these two years that seem to get lost in the shuffle.

I agree that the best Cobra troopers came later. Alley Viper, Night Viper, Frag Viper, SAW Viper, Range Viper, Laser Viper, Rock Viper, HEAT Viper and whovere I missed. It was awseome getting 3-4 new Vipers every year. They were all unique and pretty cool.

I've always liked the HEAT Vipers. To me they just went perfectly along with Laser, Frag, Alley and Night Vipers.

Most of the 90s Cobras were underrated.

I thought the H.E.A.T. Viper had an interesting function. A heavy weapons trooper that can fire around corners? I have several of them (with a Fast Blast Viper playing "leader").

S.A.W.-Vipers are overrated. That gun was just WAY too big.

Laser Vipers were cool, but kinda weird. The descriptions of "laser troopers" always had them using "realistic" lasers for some reason. Seems knda weird to have to big huge laser guns on him if they are little more than glorified flashlights. lol

I'm not really a fan of these guys. I don't like the idea of each trooper type having to have a "uniform" that looks nothing like the rest of Cobra. Essentially a Cobra Flamethrower Trooper to me would more or less look like a Blue Shirt in the sense that the Jet Pack Trooper does. As such I tend to look at many of the later troopers as being individuals.

I'm not really a fan of these guys. I don't like the idea of each trooper type having to have a "uniform" that looks nothing like the rest of Cobra. Essentially a Cobra Flamethrower Trooper to me would more or less look like a Blue Shirt in the sense that the Jet Pack Trooper does. As such I tend to look at many of the later troopers as being individuals.

I agree, however H.E.A.T. is high explosive anti-tank. I never liked those helmets either.

Personally, I don't like the colors. :) (I have like 15 of them.) Now, the Python Patrol version of it is dead sexy.

The Desert Scorpion, and CGI were my favorite army builders... until the 94 cobra Viper came out. :-P (I still can't get over how much more awesome the GIJCC made this figure!)

-Kevin

I think they look pretty silly, to be quite honest.

I agree.

I loved playing with the heat viper as a kid, especially having his little missile chase around snake eyes and storm shadow. This is when I was the most into GI Joe. Heat Vipers colors were cool then. Something about the coloring can seem fine as a toy, but would look weird in real life. Like the X-Men movies where they don't have their original costumes, for example. (then again, I never liked their movie costumes either... oh well @rolleye@ )

I actually like Firefly V2 with HEAT Vipers V2 as his personal squad. I'm not sure if I'll keep him as FF and HEAT Vipers or rename as different characters.

FF v2

HEAT v2

right now I just have FF2 and 2 or 3 of the HEAT2, but as I get more I'll probably re-address the names/characters. Maybe I'll call them Margarita and the Lime Troopers. ;)

You know I was just about to ask , What people liked better V1 or V2 of the Heat Vipers.

HEATV2.jpg

Looks great!

Now I just have to think of names and a purpose for that group.

You know I was just about to ask , What people liked better V1 or V2 of the Heat Vipers.

HEATV2.jpg

Looks great!

Now I just have to think of names and a purpose for that group.

Well they are called HEAT Vipers , a form of heat is fire , and "Fire"fly is Leading this particular group ...... if I didn't like the term HEAT Vipers , I'd Call the Fire Vipers

The H.E.A.T.-Viper came out first in '89 not 1990 so technically he's one of the 80's COBRA troops. And yes they are one of the more underrated of COBRA's troop classes. The HEAT-Viper was my favorite figure of the new crop of COBRA troops to be released in 1989 and to this day I still consider it one of my favorite COBRA Viper types. I really liked the design of the helmet and I'm a sucker for most COBRA Vipers that dress in purple (except the SAW-Viper).

I'm hoping that Hasbro does a 25th version of the H.E.A.T.-Viper and with the fact that their fast running out of COBRA troops from '82 to '86 to release maybe I'll get my wish. First though they should release an earlier and even more dear Viper trooper . . . the Techno-Viper.

Well they are called HEAT Vipers , a form of heat is fire , and "Fire"fly is Leading this particular group ...... if I didn't like the term HEAT Vipers , I'd Call the Fire Vipers

That is a good idea, but I already have Fire Vipers:

firevipersrm6.jpg

It's not a great picture, but they are repainted Barbeque figures. I got a bunch in an auction I won years ago. Of course I could rename them in order to use Fire Vipers for the HEAT V's. I'll have to consider.

I am not a fan of the HEAT viper. Both the colors and helmet are a real turn off for me. The Python Patrol one I can stand, but the helmet still bothers me. For me the Fast Blast Viper took the place of the HEAT Vipers. Gone is the awkward one sided helmet and bright colors. Instead you have a nice black undertow balaclava on a body of gray and black, perfect for urban situations.