BAFs should they be made still?

LegendsCollector07

I've been thinking about the whole concept of the BAF and I was thinking is it a way for collectors to buy the whole wave? With this new comicon exclusive Foom coming out it made me wonder, why can't Hasbro do a line made specifically for larger characters Unleashed to Icons scale and up. Truthfully I am sick of BAFs, look at the previous BAFs that could have been regular figures Mojo, Modock, Blob, Annihillus, Ronan the Accusor. I mean we as collectors are putting out extra cash for these parts, look at the Hulk wave coming out 15 dollars a peice?! Because of the large peices that go with Foom we are putting out extra cash. Instead of paying over 100 dollars to get Foom and pay for figures that really aren't too pleasing to our collecting desires. Why doesn't Hasbro focus on making quality figures that are good enough that we want to buy the whole wave without any incentive of a large BAF? I look at the dead line of Legendary Comic Heroes I only bought series one but the figures were so good I would have bought the whole line regardless of the Pitt BAF. Hasbro can do put the larger characters in a line of thier own in a large scale so instead of paying over 100 dollars to get someone like Foom you pay 15 to 25 dollars to get. Think about it Icons could have given us a Sentinel, Giant Yellow Jacket, ect. Even unleashed could have given us someone like an in scale Dragon Man. Should the BAF die or a least take a break for more benefit for collectors?

I've been thinking about the whole concept of the BAF and I was thinking is it a way for collectors to buy the whole wave? With this new comicon exclusive Foom coming out it made me wonder, why can't Hasbro do a line made specifically for larger characters Unleashed to Icons scale and up. Truthfully I am sick of BAFs, look at the previous BAFs that could have been regular figures Mojo, Modock, Blob, Annihillus, Ronan the Accusor. I mean we as collectors are putting out extra cash for these parts, look at the Hulk wave coming out 15 dollars a peice?! Because of the large peices that go with Foom we are putting out extra cash. Instead of paying over 100 dollars to get Foom and pay for figures that really aren't too pleasing to our collecting desires. Why doesn't Hasbro focus on making quality figures that are good enough that we want to buy the whole wave without any incentive of a large BAF? I look at the dead line of Legendary Comic Heroes I only bought series one but the figures were so good I would have bought the whole line regardless of the Pitt BAF. Hasbro can do put the larger characters in a line of thier own in a large scale so instead of paying over 100 dollars to get someone like Foom you pay 15 to 25 dollars to get. Think about it Icons could have given us a Sentinel, Giant Yellow Jacket, ect. Even unleashed could have given us someone like an in scale Dragon Man. Should the BAF die or a least take a break for more benefit for collectors?

Yeah I want a freakin sentinel but am not going to buy all the figures to get it. I with you. I wish they just sold these larger charactors seprate like ICONS. Same size and same amount of plastic so why not?

yes baf should still be made.we get accessories any way. the stand were a waste. good but a waste. with the baf you get another character. with stand you get a piece of plastic that characters can stand on. hmmm which sound better?

Yeah I want a freakin sentinel but am not going to buy all the figures to get it. I with you. I wish they just sold these larger charactors seprate like ICONS. Same size and same amount of plastic so why not?

they will make more money with the BAF concept because it will make people buy whole waves... it's the only reason why they still make the BAFs... but the thing that hasbro has got to do is to make a BAF of a character that is very appealing to the fans... that way, their products won't collect dust on the pegs...

is it a way for collectors to buy the whole wave?

In a nutshell, yes. They make more money off you buying multiple smaller figures, than one large figure. The reason for this is that larger figures will cost more, the higher the cost the more people will pass on them. The more that people pass on it the more it sticks around until they put it on clearnace. This also makes retailers (like Wal-Mart) hesitsant to get more of the same type of figures in.

jiM

They will sell if they look friggin' awesome, no matter the size. what we're getting now is not so good BAF selection and smallish BAFs. Not to mention barely passable execution of paint application ands articulation. Blob? hands/fingers are frozen in one position, how do you justify that? Annihilius lacked paint apps but he was a nice sculpt. Execution of final product folks !! Heck Legendary Heroes showed em that a BAF Pitt can be made wonderfully with less characters in the wave and he was Awesome ! ! Even McFarlane Toys is showing them how to make awesome 5" figures with the Halo 3 action figures that just came out !! Spider-man 3 Movie 5" wave looked mediocre by comparison.

well some are good some are bad. i'm not a fan of the giant waves with BAF's, especially onces that aren't that big (like blob and Ronan).

I still think there should be a wave with an extra small pack in figure included inside it, like how figures in the past had Howard the Duck and the Impossible Man inside. Give me a pack in Cosmo and Rocket Racoon. or a less articulated character (like Jarvis, Aunt May, Foggy Nelson, JJ Jameson, ect).

The Reason they make BAF is so that the Company"Hasbro" will get people to buy more figures........ Now Hasbro is either running out of newer characters to make that are big , or they are screwing around with collectors just so they'll still buy the entire wave to complete a new character...... I bet that if there had already been a Ronin figure made back during Toybiz, we would've seen shelf warmers of half of the Fantastic Four wave......

So that's basically it , We'll have BAF for quite sometime ,cause Hasbro knows that if they make a new character [no matter what size] that there's never been a figure of .... collectors will buy all the pieces to put it together.

I think the BAF concept is essential IF we want to get less recognizable or obscure charecters out of the M.L. line. Plus it ensures that the figures are more evenly packed in a case. I don't think anybody wants to go back to the way things were before they were introduced when it was a certifiable pain trying to track down short packed figures like Pheonix, Deadpool, Juggernaut, Hawkeye, ect and chase figures were almost impossible to find.

IMO the main problem with Hasbro is they don't have a toy/comic geek in charge of the line who understands the concept of team and display building the way Jesse or the 4 Horsemen do. Who understands that kids and collectors both will buy figures of charecters they're not familiar with IF they're nicely done.

yes baf should still be made.we get accessories any way. the stand were a waste. good but a waste. with the baf you get another character. with stand you get a piece of plastic that characters can stand on. hmmm which sound better?

we dont get accessories. accessories are things the figure can use for display, and with the exception of sentinel, that wont happen.

I think the BAF concept is essential IF we want to get less recognizable or obscure charecters out of the M.L. line. Plus it ensures that the figures are more evenly packed in a case. I don't think anybody wants to go back to the way things were before they were introduced when it was a certifiable pain trying to track down short packed figures like Pheonix, Deadpool, Juggernaut, Hawkeye, ect and chase figures were almost impossible to find.

Aside from the profit-making reasons, thse are the other logic points for the BAF gimmick.

I like the gimmick, and hope it continues. There's NO obligation on the part of consumers to buy any figure they do not want, and BAF's are obtainable separately through some venues, so the arguments against the gimmick are weak.

I like the BAF's we have gotten thus far, its been a interesting mix of characters. Sure, not every character is going to be everyone's cup of tea, but that because there's so many different ways to apporach the comics.

Some folks are dead-set on the 90's characters, other dead set against them. Some like classic characters, other fans weren't born then so they don't know them ( and often think they suck)

I say keep them comin'.

Truthfully I am sick of BAFs, look at the previous BAFs that could have been regular figures Mojo, Modock, Blob, Annihillus, Ronan the Accusor.

You show me the blister that would have held Mojo, MODOK, or Blob. I'll show you a blister that would have taken up too much space on the peg. Given the choice between fans complaining about Blob not being a carded figure and fans complaining that they can't find any figures because the local Wal-Mart won't restock when the pegs are 'full' with four Blobs on them... I prefer the first option.

I mean we as collectors are putting out extra cash for these parts,

We are?

look at the Hulk wave coming out 15 dollars a peice?! Because of the large peices that go with Foom we are putting out extra cash.

Eh... you're referring to one single line of 8 figures out of the dozens of figures that have been put out with BAF parts in them... the line isn't even out yet, so technically, you're not paying more, and there's no proof that this trend will continue. At the risk of being harsh, I think it best to see if this stays the exception before claiming it to be the norm.

Instead of paying over 100 dollars to get Foom and pay for figures that really aren't too pleasing to our collecting desires.

And god knows that you can't buy a complete figure on eBay, trade for the parts here, buy the figures and resell/trade them without the BAF part, and any of nearly a dozen more sensible options that would get you the Foom without ending up with figures you don't want.

Why doesn't Hasbro focus on making quality figures that are good enough that we want to buy the whole wave without any incentive of a large BAF?

Why don't you focus on getting the figures you want, and say to heck with the rest?

Hasbro can do put the larger characters in a line of thier own in a large scale so instead of paying over 100 dollars to get someone like Foom you pay 15 to 25 dollars to get. Think about it Icons could have given us a Sentinel, Giant Yellow Jacket, ect. Even unleashed could have given us someone like an in scale Dragon Man. Should the BAF die or a least take a break for more benefit for collectors?

While I agree that we could/should have a large-scale line, I think it should be a compliment to the BAFs. I truly and honestly think we can get both... but I totally disagree that we could get Foom in a box for $15-20. He looks to be quite a bit larger than an Icons figure. Your other examples are much more in the ballpark of what we could see. I'd heartily snap up an Icons/Unleashed line that gave us the 8-12" figures, with even larger characters (Foom, Surtur, Master Mold) remaining as BAFs.

Until we get that perfect world though, I'll continue to use the various methods that already exist for simply getting the figures I want and the pieces I need without emptying my wallet. Yes, BAFs are (and always have been) a marketing technique. That's not really news to anyone. The real question is why you're assuming there is no alternative but to fall for it hook, line, and sinker.