The Cartoon Wars is on at 10!

khamla

Destro I guess the problem I have with the whole age thing is that its just sooooo "hollywood". What I mean by that is EVERYTHING is going "PRE" these days! Between Xmen & Star Wars every production co wants to make the leads younger & younger.

Its being done in live action movies all for the sake of squezzing out as many sequels as possiable before the actors get too old (but were talking animation here so i'll shelf that one for another time), but now that kind of mentality has stated to bleed in to toons.

The Batman has the chin & body build of a teenager, samething with Spiderman (yeah I know spidey is supose to be young), young is fine but there drawing him so young & wirey thin these days he starting to look androdgenious! Is it Spiderman or Spider-girl???

I've learned in my shrink classes at school (yes, I'm gonna be a shrink), that this type of thing is called "hero identifaction". the leads are deliberatly made so young so that an even younger demographic can identify & "see themself" being the hero.

Not to go too far off topic here but its the same type of mentality why white people tend to like Hal or Kyle more so than John Steward for the role of GL. or why many black people like to think of Jesus as being black, vice versa with white people.

For what ever reason we like our heros & Gods to look as much like us a s possible. anyway back on topic, as I stated earlier in my post, when I was a kid I had NO PROBLEM identifying or understanding the content of the old toons. I guess I just have an issue with todays kids needing every thing "spoon feed" to them.

I can agree that there are a lot of shows, movies, etc., that seem to be making their heroes younger, or that are developed as prequel or origin stories, but to me that can be interesting; how did this hero become this hero? As a shrink, are you interested in that type of character development?

I don't understand the "spoon fed" comment.

Of course you didn't have a problem understanding the content of old cartoons; they were simplicity itself.

I think we want our gods/heroes to look/act/sound like regular people so we can identify w/ them, so we can say, "hey, s/he's like me", and we get that feeling that we too can be heroic, ingenious, powerful, etc. It's a basic part of many a story, from David and Goliath to Spiderman.

meh, i'll watch the bootleg ver. here in iraq when they get over here, i already picked up g1 which went to headmaster, and bw s1-3, wouldn't mind getting bm or the turtles but you can put in orders, they either got it or they don't

meh, i'll watch the bootleg ver. here in iraq when they get over here, i already picked up g1 which went to headmaster, and bw s1-3, wouldn't mind getting bm or the turtles but you can put in orders, they either got it or they don't

Hey Soldier. that's a cute kid you got there. Make sure you watch your back over in that war torn crap hole of a country so you can make it back in one pice.

Hey Soldier. that's a cute kid you got there. Make sure you watch your back over in that war torn crap hole of a country so you can make it back in one pice.

Definitely come back in one piece!!! I miss all our convos in the Monkey ROom!! Take care of yourself!

Definitely come back in one piece!!! I miss all our convos in the Monkey ROom!! Take care of yourself!

yeah it's been pretty quiet over here these 1st 5mons, but summer time is upon and that's when it's suppose to get crazy, i miss my familly alot, i wish i was home with my wife and my baby girl, i miss you guys too, i got to get on more often when i get free time

I cant wait to see your lil girl now.. she's probably gotten so big!! ^_^