Preferred way of shopping

Zanzibar

I prefer brick and mortar, since most of you guys seem to buy online and by the time I would order something its already sold out. I like B&M cause you dont have to pay extra for shipping/handling and a fee for UPS/FedEx if you want your stuff delivered ASAP within 2 business days.

Me personally, I prefer online ordering. Why? Well, I'd gladly pay the extra money for shipping which is worth it to me due to gas prices and simple peace of mind; I get an entire wave of figures all at once and don't have to look all over creation to complete it. Plus they usually come in factory cases which ensures the fact that I'll get mint packaging. Yeah, it's alot of fun and nostalgic to find this stuff in actual brick-and-mortar stores, but I prefer getting it straight from the factory in mint condition, shipped right to my house. I love the convenience of it, and really it's alot like getting those mail-in-offer figures back in the old days, but on a much grander scale.

Me personally, I prefer online ordering. Why? Well, I'd gladly pay the extra money for shipping which is worth it to me due to gas prices and simple peace of mind; I get an entire wave of figures all at once and don't have to look all over creation to complete it. Plus they usually come in factory cases which ensures the fact that I'll get mint packaging. Yeah, it's alot of fun and nostalgic to find this stuff in actual brick-and-mortar stores, but I prefer getting it straight from the factory in mint condition, shipped right to my house. I love the convenience of it, and really it's alot like getting those mail-in-offer figures back in the old days, but on a much grander scale.

Yeah, Joes are still near impossible to find around here in brick & motar stores. Online is cheaper, easier and pretty much guaranted. For me, it's the only way to go.

I am doing both. But would prefer to just get them at brick and mortar. It would be nice to see what I am actually buying before buying it. On the other hand it is convienient to have things delivered to my house. Either can get costly with gas prices or shipping/marked up online prices.

Online is definitely cheaper. If I ever find any Joes in the stores, like cobra troops or figures I need 2 of, I'll pick them up. But, seeing as how it's so costly to hit the stores day in and day out and they rarely have anything, that doesn't happen often. I can either go through a tank of gas at $57 a week looking for them, or I can spring the 7 or 8 bucks for shipping. Not a difficult choice to make.

Well, given my rants of late, this answer will surprise people:

I prefer both.

Shopping at brick & mortars is fun, its get's you out and about, and around people, and its nice to see the product in your hands.

But its unreliable.

So I tend to rely upon on-line orders to get stuff--and of late I've been using on-line to get some older items that were I try to find in a actual store would be next to impossible to find.

On a dedicated hunt though, on-line orders are cheaper or at par compared to hunting on foot with all the expenses of a hunt factored in.

No real option here, online is the only way I can get them. You think distribution is bad in the States, try Canada...

Or worse, try Germany or Europe! I have to be very lucky to find any GI Joe's in Germany, and if i do, they're tripled in price. So i have to stick to the internet.

I've always envied american toy-collectors, but after reading the posts here, my envy has eased a bit. Still, compared to America, Germany is a 3rd world country correlating toys.

Btw, what are brick and mortar shops?

"Brick and Mortar" is just a term to describe a store you actually walk into--a building often having been built with bricks and mortar( the stuff between the bricks). It is a term for ANY kind of physical store, or the actual building housing the store that you can shop in person at.

On-line stores are usually a service out of a warehouse--providing goods by mail-order, rather than depending on walk-up customers.

Another term:

"Razor and blades"

This is a term that actually is attributed to GIJOE--the original 12" figures.

The concept is simple: you buy a razor to shave with, you need some razor blades--hence the terms describes the concept of a core toy and additionally purchased accessories.

In this case, a GIJOE figure would be the "razor" and the uniform/weapons sets would be the "blades".

So if you ever see a post with a phrase like: " Well, I got the figure but I need some blades for it"--you'll now know what's being talked about.

going to stores

I only ordered online once when the 25th Joes first came out and that was for wave 1 SE & SS from BBTS. Since then I've found everything at retail. I have ordered a few extra fig's on ebay, but the prices were either retail or below.

Or worse, try Germany or Europe! I have to be very lucky to find any GI Joe's in Germany, and if i do, they're tripled in price. So i have to stick to the internet.

I've always envied american toy-collectors, but after reading the posts here, my envy has eased a bit. Still, compared to America, Germany is a 3rd world country correlating toys.

Ziegelstein und Mörser

Na Germany has a bunch of other cool toys that aren't found here.

I prefer to shop in the stores. That way I can see what I'm buying. Gas isn't a factor since I'm in an urban area where stores are closer together. It actually would cost me more to shop online for some items.

Stores......plain and simple. Not online ones.......

"Thats how dad did it, thats how America does it, and its worked out pretty good so far"

Anyone that grew up in the 80's knows what it was like to go into any TRU/KB/Child World.....it was an EXPERIENCE back in the day.

There is a thread on this very site about it.........its not like that anymore.....but I still prefer finding stuff at brick and mortar stores.

Stores......plain and simple. Not online ones.......

"Thats how dad did it, thats how America does it, and its worked out pretty good so far"

Anyone that grew up in the 80's knows what it was like to go into any TRU/KB/Child World.....it was an EXPERIENCE back in the day.

There is a thread on this very site about it.........its not like that anymore.....but I still prefer finding stuff at brick and mortar stores.

I love the Ironman reference. As for the topic, I loath the day where I have to buy my toys online. Just finding what I'm after at a store is the real thrill. Waiting for them in the mail is hardly what I call fun. I really miss the days of the mom & pop toy stores that had direct accounts with Hasbro and Kenner. I swear very few of us knew what it is like to walk into one of these stores of the late 70's and 80's and to see an entire assortment of G.I.Joe, Transformers, and Star Wars toys. Most of these shop owners had more profitable business elsewhere, but in the days before Wal-mart, they did exist.

I prefer brick and mortar, since most of you guys seem to buy online and by the time I would order something its already sold out. I like B&M cause you dont have to pay extra for shipping/handling and a fee for UPS/FedEx if you want your stuff delivered ASAP within 2 business days.

This seems to be a common theme lately. I've seen multiple boards with people asking about ordering online vs waiting to find them in a store. Even I have asked this question. I have found that even when I pre-order online, I eventually find all. If the shortage is great, I will buy online; such as the W3 CPs I ordered from TRU.com. Then, I -AT LEAST- got one of everything. Now I can focus on army building if I wish or hooking up my fellow Johio collectors who have not got so lucky. Today is a great example of that. The pegs are finally full in my area. I built the army and hooked up a few friends. Unless I have a real hankering for a varient, I typically stay off Ebay. As for doing pre-orders, if I have buyers remorse or find all I need at the store, I can just cancel the pre-order, no biggie.

Been there done that! I've been to the TRU in Kiel and a toy store in downtown Dusseldorf and saw nothing Joe. I have no idea how you find stuff locally. My friends there did get me a trooper off of eBay from some dealer in Hamburg.....but if it wasn't for them, I would not buy anything in Germany seeing how the dollar is stacking up against the Euro. Other than that, I love Germany and would stay if it weren't so damn expensive to live. PM me and let me know what you are looking for and maybe I can help you out. Still, shipping back to Germany is a lot from here too. I just sent a 2.2 kilo box back to my friends and it was $40 for a 6-10 business day delivery time.

I do both. For Joes online, I just hit HTS and smalljoes. I honestly do not go on toy hunts anymore. The only time to hit the toy aisle is if I am going to the store anyway for something else. I've done pretty well this way AND I don't get agitated because a store hasn't stocked figures in X number of days.

my Friend owns a comic shop, so he orders them for me and i pick the ones i want. then he puts the others in the the store with a $1 mark up. not bad. if i had to choose id pick driving to find them for one reason only, i dont want some of the repaints. i didnt want an extra duke and CC so i passed on that two pack etc...

I swear very few of us knew what it is like to walk into one of these stores of the late 70's and 80's and to see an entire assortment of G.I.Joe, Transformers, and Star Wars toys. Most of these shop owners had more profitable business elsewhere, but in the days before Wal-mart, they did exist.

Heh, I remember.

Fondly.

I have many a tresured memory from childhood and years ago as an adult, of toy aisles packed full of stuff. It was truly magical, and those mems fueled my drive to become a collector as an adult.

I think what's changed is the whole paradigm about collecting.

There's self-centred scalpers and opportunists scavenging the shelves for the next short-term "hot" collectible to sucker the next mark to come along with. Its not toy collecting for them--its all a money scam--with their unbridled contempt showing through in every sale they make.

The blight has become about eeking out the margins on every individual item and hope it all adds up to something.

Its a lot of greedy people majoring in some very minor things.

And we collectors have to wade thru it all just to enjoy the hobby we love--just for the sake of it.

The cornerstone idea from those early days is that is was easy to shop in those places--just walk in and pick out what you want.

Its not physically easy anymore, and hasn't been for years. The stuff just isn't there, mostly because of the rat-race that's chasing after it. The costs of gas, time, the hassles of getting to the store.....those things are adding up in the equation for some.

I look at the on-line thing and I see "easy" again-and that's what its come down to for me. The hunts were fun-many a good memory toy hunting with buddies--but those people and times have moved on, and so have I.

I still want the pleasure I get from collecting toys, but I want it on my terms--terms that physical hunts don't grant.

I have some small envy for people that have the stores around them that they can just walk into and find stuff.

To them, I wish they can hold on to that for as long as they can. That's the blessed old reality--me, I'm entrenched in the new reality.

I swear very few of us knew what it is like to walk into one of these stores of the late 70's and 80's and to see an entire assortment of G.I.Joe, Transformers, and Star Wars toys. Most of these shop owners had more profitable business elsewhere, but in the days before Wal-mart, they did exist.

Heh, I remember.

Fondly.

I have many a tresured memory from childhood and years ago as an adult, of toy aisles packed full of stuff. It was truly magical, and those mems fueled my drive to become a collector as an adult.

I think what's changed is the whole paradigm about collecting.

There's self-centred scalpers and opportunists scavenging the shelves for the next short-term "hot" collectible to sucker the next mark to come along with. Its not toy collecting for them--its all a money scam--with their unbridled contempt showing through in every sale they make.

The blight has become about eeking out the margins on every individual item and hope it all adds up to something.

Its a lot of greedy people majoring in some very minor things.

And we collectors have to wade thru it all just to enjoy the hobby we love--just for the sake of it.

The cornerstone idea from those early days is that is was easy to shop in those places--just walk in and pick out what you want.

Its not physically easy anymore, and hasn't been for years. The stuff just isn't there, mostly because of the rat-race that's chasing after it. The costs of gas, time, the hassles of getting to the store.....those things are adding up in the equation for some.

I look at the on-line thing and I see "easy" again-and that's what its come down to for me. The hunts were fun-many a good memory toy hunting with buddies--but those people and times have moved on, and so have I.

I still want the pleasure I get from collecting toys, but I want it on my terms--terms that physical hunts don't grant.

I have some small envy for people that have the stores around them that they can just walk into and find stuff.

To them, I wish they can hold on to that for as long as they can. That's the blessed old reality--me, I'm entrenched in the new reality.

I remember this one store that was a bicycle shop when you walked in, but downstairs were all of the toys. He had all of the Transformers, every Joe and all of the vehicles (it was the only place around that had the Skystriker), and just about every Star Wars vehicle. He only had a couple of each, but the assortments were there, and if it wasn't, he'd say"Come back in a couple of weeks". That was the first place I ever saw a 6" die-cast toy of the Millenium Falcon, and the 12" Boba Fett.

I actually like BBTS. They have done a good job for all the 25th stuff for me. I will continue to use them. I would rather pay a little more and actually get product than waste time at a store, especially after hearing some of the horror stories from you guys. Now if only I could trade my comic packs for some 25th stuff i would be quite happy.

I remember this one store that was a bicycle shop when you walked in, but downstairs were all of the toys. He had all of the Transformers, every Joe and all of the vehicles (it was the only place around that had the Skystriker), and just about every Star Wars vehicle. He only had a couple of each, but the assortments were there, and if it wasn't, he'd say"Come back in a couple of weeks". That was the first place I ever saw a 6" die-cast toy of the Millenium Falcon, and the 12" Boba Fett.

The sad thing is, most of those places are long gone.

In Vancouver BC, there was this lil' hole-in-the-wall store in West Broadway, easy to miss place on a main drag. It was easy to miss because the sign on front was a Coca-Cola marquee--used to be a grocery store.

Inside was this old gent and his dog, and an amazing selection of old toys, like classic Corgis, Dinky's Marx Best of the West stuff GIJOE--all crammed into a space about the size of small-ish living room.

The gent was a odd sort....if you didn't get on his good side "nothing was for sale". If you caught him on a good day, you could walk out of the place and not pay a arm and leg for it. He marked stuff up, but not like many other places did in town.

Turns out the store was a hobby for him--something he did to pass the time---profits meant nothing.

He passed on years ago, and his estate sale was ravaged by scalpers.

I lament that stores like that are a near-dead breed, because these days any half-savvy scalper would have cleaned the place out a long time ago. Mark-ups be damned. There'd be no incentive to restock a place like that, and no reason to hold a lease there.

In a global sense, Its a really a sad commentary that something intended to just give people a bit iof pleasure is saddled with so much needless greed and pain around it--but that is a whole other rant for another day.

In Vancouver BC, there was this lil' hole-in-the-wall store in West Broadway, easy to miss place on a main drag. It was easy to miss because the sign on front was a Coca-Cola marquee--used to be a grocery store.

Inside was this old gent and his dog, and an amazing selection of old toys, like classic Corgis, Dinky's Marx Best of the West stuff GIJOE--all crammed into a space about the size of small-ish living room.

The gent was a odd sort....if you didn't get on his good side "nothing was for sale". If you caught him on a good day, you could walk out of the place and not pay a arm and leg for it. He marked stuff up, but not like many other places did in town.

Turns out the store was a hobby for him--something he did to pass the time---profits meant nothing.

If I ever win the lotto, I'm going to open a toy store like the ones we are talking about. I just hope winning the lotto doesn't make me grumpy. :D