Toybiz ML's Breaking?

DarthJoe

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but here's what happened to me last night...

I moved into a new house last July, and I just finally got around to painting the basement room that was meant to be my toy room, and I started setting my stuff up last night. The majority of my toys had been stored in Sterilite drawers, in this same room, which is usually about 70 degrees or so...so they haven't been exposed to any sort of extreme temperatures or anything.

Anyways...I'm setting up my X-Men...I find Iceman, and begin to pose his legs to set him up "riding" on the base he came with. I begin to move his left leg into a sitting-type of position, and the front part of his crotch just completely breaks off and both of his legs fall off. :(

Thinking this is just a fluke (yet still a bit pissed about it), I start setting up more of my figures.

Everything was going alright until I got to Spider-Woman. I take her out of the drawer, and I barely begin to move one of her arms, and she breaks completely in half, at the waist. I wasn't even touching this part of the figure, let alone putting any pressure on it!

So, at this point, I'm really pissed, and just left the rest of them alone, and started setting up my GI Joe stuff (most of it being over 20 years old, and still holding up with age). @lol@

Am I the only one that has had this problem, or am I gonna have to start treating these things more and more like fragile little eggs as time goes by?

yeah recently bought a series one Ironman and the arm was stuck and I put a little added pressure on it to move it down and it broke. I glued it back on but there is not mobility in it and it is stuck and the raised position. I made it work in the Hall of Armor. Now I have to get a new one and those do not come cheap. @grumpy@

I thought everyone knew about TBs awful quality control for the ML/XMC/SMC lines? Hmm guess not, and the crotch thing on Ice Man is a very common problem also.

This is why i love Hasbro, not a figure yet of theirs have broke for me and i have all of HML1 and HML2, 2 halves of FFHML(Reed Johnny Ben and two Dooms actually) and a movie GR fig(and let me tell you, i took his crotch apart to replace his ball hips and compared to TB its was a PAIN to get that apart)

That appears to be a common problem with Iceman--mine suffered the exact same failure.

The glue on the pelvis halves is very weak.

I lost one of the small parts that seat the leg pins in the pelvis, so I traded for a replacement, and then subsequently found the missing part.

I have the original in a baggie, ready to repair him when I get time.

Plastic toys will ALWAYS have some kind of problem or another--because plasticizers are always leaking from them and temps and humidity just do weird things to that leakage.

Stuff might survive for years intact with zero problems, then one day you reach for it and the thing falls apart in your hand.

No rhyme or reason to it, it just happens sometimes.

that's the problem with the toybiz figs... a number of them breaks quite easily... especially when the joints are quite stuck and you apply quite an amount of force... what happened to you and your figs happened to a lot of us too... on the other hand, i haven't had a hasbro ML break yet...

i had a problem with some of the Tb figures as well. ML1 Cap, Iron Man, Iceman, Werewolf, Man Wolf. after a while i got so scare of breaking them i just put in the bland possies.

There are people that hate Hasbro's Marvel Legends. Even I hate how they dropped the ball regarding Namor and White Queen. However, I've never had a single one break and I own nearly all of them. I loved Toy Biz Marvel Legends especially Face Off Captain America but I have to say their Legends were just too easy to break. My 'casualties' are as follows:

Captain America series one - Not broken but he became really loose like a Mego with a broken rubber band.

Abomination- I raised his arm and it came off.

Apocalypse BAF- Moved his leg and it snapped at the hip joint.

Thor of the Giant Man set- I've had three of these break in various places.

Falcon - I rotated his right forearm and off it came. I glued it back on.

I could understand if I was rough playing with the figures like a three year old! I replaced all of these except Falcon and Apocalypse. I still believe we can have the sculpt, paint and articulation of Toy Biz and the sturdiness of Hasbro. We have to keep letting them know how we feel.

There are people that hate Hasbro's Marvel Legends. Even I hate how they dropped the ball regarding Namor and White Queen. However, I've never had a single one break and I own nearly all of them. I loved Toy Biz Marvel Legends especially Face Off Captain America but I have to say their Legends were just too easy to break. My 'casualties' are as follows:

Captain America series one - Not broken but he became really loose like a Mego with a broken rubber band.

I could understand if I was rough playing with the figures like a three year old! I replaced all of these except Falcon and Apocalypse. I still believe we can have the sculpt, paint and articulation of Toy Biz and the sturdiness of Hasbro. We have to keep letting them know how we feel.

I've had 3 ML8 Icemen have a panty explosion fit on me, same with a Wonderman. I don't have enough hands to repair him though lol. My Super Skrull arm came clean off as did one of Bishops feet. Hasbro are like rugby players - tough as boots but not all that pretty :)

I also have recently moved, setting up my X-Men display and broke my Iceman not as bad a little piece same out of the seam so I glued it back into place. But now there is no action to my action figure because I'm scared of it getting worse, so I won't move him.

I broke my Apocalypse at the hip too.

Sucks.

I own everything (eh-hem see database) and I've had several ToyBiz problems and absolutely zero Hasbro problems. My most hated ToyBiz problem to date was that my Onslaught BAFs shoulders were incapable of swiveling downward. I finally got fed-up and forced and broke them both clean off, I couldn't stand looking at him as he was with his arms up like that. I eventually bought a new one to replace the old. My Face-Off Leader variant has this problem with one of his arms. Oh, and I can't get either of my Icons Spideys to stand due to ##$%$#edly loose ankles.

I've had 3 ML8 Icemen have a panty explosion fit on me, same with a Wonderman. I don't have enough hands to repair him though lol. My Super Skrull arm came clean off as did one of Bishops feet. Hasbro are like rugby players - tough as boots but not all that pretty :)

Did you check the expiratioon date on his @$$ ??

Hey maybe thats why TB figures had better washes and the price was better because the quality of actual production was simply cheaper. I have both all of TB and the Bro ML because i love marvel and i cant say i have experienced any of this because i keep them in the package (i love the way they look hung on the well so do visitors) and find + and - in both. After all they are just toys! Expensive

loss! :(

I own everything (eh-hem see database) and I've had several ToyBiz problems and absolutely zero Hasbro problems. My most hated ToyBiz problem to date was that my Onslaught BAFs shoulders were incapable of swiveling downward. I finally got fed-up and forced and broke them both clean off, I couldn't stand looking at him as he was with his arms up like that. I eventually bought a new one to replace the old. My Face-Off Leader variant has this problem with one of his arms. Oh, and I can't get either of my Icons Spideys to stand due to ##$%$#edly loose ankles.

Okay, let's all go like this:

ToyBiz sucks bigtime

We hate the previous Marvel Legends line by ToyBiz

ToyBiz makes cheap toys

We luv to hate Toy Biz

And Hasbro does wondrous things for the Legends line !

AMEN !!

Same thing happened with my Series 1 Ironman. I was bringing his arm forward and his left arm came off from the hinge. Still poseable, but fustrating! I will not replace, because it was expensive. I also had my apocalypse's leg broke of at the joint. I hope that this doesn't continue, but I love my collection and hope to pass it on to my children-when I get some!

seriously, how much money do you spend a year for that? its gotta be somewhere in the thousands (especially with TB's market flood in '06).

i had a problem with ASM super strength spider-man, his ankle broke off, and when i tried to email them and ask for a replacement, they told me something like take it back to the store. im not sure if thats actually service, but it was rather irratating. i did eventually fix it though, but i shouldnt have had to. hasbro isnt without problems either, but they are MUCH better than TB. the only real problem i have with hasbro figures is the right hips on my quicksilver is a tad loose, but that happened over time. now, by over time i mean a few months, not a few minutes, a problem i had with the aformentioned spidey (and a re-release of parachute spidey).

when i got my shocker figure fromspiderman its ment to wind up and vibrate, dont get excited, and lol all it did was fall apart i wound it up, then its chest fell off then its arme fell out and their was just legs stood their, and the body in bits on the tablem but i glued it all back together and repainted it it looks coole now.

also when i got my x men classics ice man the arm wasnt even attatched when it was in the box but i didnt realise until i got it out, but have flued it back into place ive lost articulation but it still cool.

when i got x men classics white storm her articulation was all fine art from her right arm, i was checking all parts and her shoulder wouldnt move i tried and tried to move it wouldnt, and the elbow and wrist was stuck too, the all snapped in the end i just glued them again i lost articulation but its storm who cares.

Lets see of mine that have broke

FO Iron Man, neck snapped right off and so did his right arm at the bicep joint(i was able to fix both thankfully but still)

ML5 Sabretooth, his thumb snapped off(glued on now)

SMC Metallic Scorpion, his leg snapped off(fixed)

SMC Black Costume Spider-Man, right shoulder broke at the extra up down joint.

Of my brothers

ML7 Silver Centurion Iron Man, his neck cracked and a lil piece came off, still his head stay on OK but it will come off

ML10 Mystique, both elbows broke broke at one joint or another, her torso came apart

Figures that had mixed up/wrong parts

ML6 Phoenix has two right lower calves

XMC Air Strike/House of M Wolverine had two right thighs

XMC Magneto had some of his fingers in the wrong spots

Monsters Boxset Dracula had his legs reversed, the right was the left and the left was the right

So yeah, i've had issues with TB hehe

Oh and i've seen a ML14 Falcon in TRU that had one of his legs broken off right in the package heh.

My Cannonball from the Hasbro two pack had two left arms. I fixed it with boiling water, and putting the elbow on the other side, so it's not noticable unless you look real close, but man o man what a pain in the @$$ to get that pin back in place.

Well, I was going to buy another Iceman off ebay, but after reading all of the above posts, I think I'll just try to glue him back together and live with it. @lol@

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd missed Inhuman Torch going at the ab crunch too.

As for back to front parts on of my XMC Colossus has two right hands (the custom meant I was able to remove the thumb and build a new one) and I've had an XMC Rogue with a back to front thigh - weird I know but her knee was back to front which meant she had not boot on one leg - good thing it was another piece of custom fodder!