Movie to be based on Marvel Comics series?!?

Jeff

Who cares, crap is crap no matter how you try and dress it up.

Wow, that's a wonderful attitude to take. But I guess if you're determined to keep thinking that the movie won't be any good and will not give it a chance, than it will be crap to you no matter what. But seeing as how we've seen NOTHING from the movie yet, you're jumping the gun pretty early there. If you had seen parts of the movie, then I would understand your opinion. Now, if it comes out, and it is crap, you can rub it in our faces all you want to. Just hang loose and see what happens. Might surprise you.

Everyone thought the Transformer movie was going to be crap, too. I wonder how that one turned out.

I'll give this a chance no matter what they put out. I've never been big into the comics, and I can honestly say I haven't seen all the cartoons either. Even if I did, I don't take them as the basis for what GI Joe is to me. As long as they are along the same lines that the premise of the Joe mythos was built, I'll give it a chance.

Everyone thought the Transformer movie was going to be crap, too. I wonder how that one turned out.

Just because it made money, doesn't mean it wasn't crap. All flash, no substance Michael Bay-style is not what I'd want for the Joe movie. That being said, from what we've heard so far it seems like a lot more thought is being put into this film, and I'm not reading anything remotely as arrogant and conceited from the creators as I read during the TF production. I'm thinking this one may turn out pretty good, actually.

Just because it made money, doesn't mean it wasn't crap. All flash, no substance Michael Bay-style is not what I'd want for the Joe movie. That being said, from what we've heard so far it seems like a lot more thought is being put into this film, and I'm not reading anything remotely as arrogant and conceited from the creators as I read during the TF production. I'm thinking this one may turn out pretty good, actually.

Of course, to each their own, but I really liked the TF movie for what it was. A great action flick involving characters from my childhood. If I got the same thing from this GI Joe movie, then I would be happy. I don't want to be too bogged down with origins of every character, and a ton of backstory. I would like a quick recap of who everyone is, and then get to them being blasted by Cobra. Er...I mean, them blasting Cobra.

Based on the comics, huh? DAMMIT! I was looking forward to hearing a Chris Latta sound-alike screeching Cobra Commander's dialogue or Frank Welker doing rusty voice-overs for practically every other villian! @grumpy@

I kid....;)

Of course, to each their own, but I really liked the TF movie for what it was. A great action flick involving characters from my childhood. If I got the same thing from this GI Joe movie, then I would be happy. I don't want to be too bogged down with origins of every character, and a ton of backstory. I would like a quick recap of who everyone is, and then get to them being blasted by Cobra. Er...I mean, them blasting Cobra.

Really? The Transformers themselves were secondary characters, I don't remember 90% of the characters from that movie from MY childhood. I don't want twenty minutes of Duke & co. fighting Cobra with the rest of the movie involving a bunch of whiny teenagers...

I am exaggerating somewhat, of course - it wasn't the most horrible movie I've ever seen, but I'd be stretching it to call it even a "great action flick", when you've got stuff like the Indiana Jones movies, most of the Marvel movies, anything that James Cameron had done, etc, etc...

It's funny the way news keeps bouncing back and forth.

First (like, two years ago), the Joes are based on the comics, and Snake-Eyes, Scarlett, Roadblock are all accounted for. Then the script is leaked, and it's all about Duke and Cool Dude, a buddy comedy/ betrayal-revenge action movie. Then we heard it was a team thing again, focusing on Duke and Action Man. Then is was comic-based, but with an International team headquartered in Brussels. Then it was the US. Then it was Destro in charge, then J.G. Levitt gets cast as Cobra Commander. Finally, at Toy Fair we heard it was going to be a lot like the cartoon, with Jet-Packs and Super-Soldier bodysuits. And yet, we now hear it'll be comic-based again, right back where we started.

Personally, I expect the movie to be very little like either, with it's own style, it's own desgins, and each actor's personal take on their character. What I figure they mean is that the writers found useful inspiration by reading the comics (Larry might even have gotten them a set to rummage thru, I know he has a couple of copies, at least). So we're likely to see the *big* things from the comic, like Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow's backstory, probably incorporating Zartan to some level.

Well you are right that there has been alot of BS flying around about this movie, some leaked delibertly to generate discussusions such as this one, some seemingly just flat out made up. Any so-called script you find yourself reading on the net I would take with a huge grain of salt. I will say though if someone reported that it was said at Toy Fair the movie was going to be like the cartoon, then they mis-reported. There was never any such comparison made there between this movie and the cartoon. It was said that there would be lots of action and special effects in this movie and that we would see equipment that they made a point to say was not Sicence Fiction but rather Next Generation. They talked about a chase scene that takes place in Paris between two people wearing some type of exo-suits that allow them to jump higher, run faster ect ect.

As for the comic reference in the MTV interview, my guess is what he means is that they are taking aspects from the comics to use for the movie. Like maybe Snake Eyes being a Ninja. That was something originally established in the comics as oppsed to the cartoon. That the actual movie script will be based on a comic story, I doubt it. One thing we know and was said at Toy Fair is that the movie is essentially anchored by not one but two love stories that involve the two main female charatcers. So my guess that mean Baronness and Destro and Scarlett and maybe Snake-Eyes or Duke. (My money is on Duke since he's the main star and it would be hard to tell a love story on film using a guy who never speaks).

Like with Transformers I think you will see aspects of the 80's lines we all loved but you also will see alot of established lore changed for the purpose of making some type of dooable 2-hour movie. IMO they pulled it off quit well in Transformers which was every bit as good as any marvel movie, but whether they can do the same for GIjoe remains to be seen. Either way I think anyone looking for a straight re-creation of anything that has come before (Cartoon or Comic) will be disappointed, and should prepare themselve for something different. Again different doesn't have to mean bad, it just means different.

Well you are right that there has been alot of BS flying around about this movie, some leaked delibertly to generate discussusions such as this one, some seemingly just flat out made up. Any so-called script you find yourself reading on the net I would take with a huge grain of salt. I will say though if someone reported that it was said at Toy Fair the movie was going to be like the cartoon, then they mis-reported. There was never any such comparison made there between this movie and the cartoon. It was said that there would be lots of action and special effects in this movie and that we would see equipment that they made a point to say was not Sicence Fiction but rather Next Generation. They talked about a chase scene that takes place in Paris between two people wearing some type of exo-suits that allow them to jump higher, run faster ect ect.

As for the comic reference in the MTV interview, my guess is what he means is that they are taking aspects from the comics to use for the movie. Like maybe Snake Eyes being a Ninja. That was something originally established in the comics as oppsed to the cartoon. That the actual movie script will be based on a comic story, I doubt it. One thing we know and was said at Toy Fair is that the movie is essentially anchored by not one but two love stories that involve the two main female charatcers. So my guess that mean Baronness and Destro and Scarlett and maybe Snake-Eyes or Duke. (My money is on Duke since he's the main star and it would be hard to tell a love story on film using a guy who never speaks).

Like with Transformers I think you will see aspects of the 80's lines we all loved but you also will see alot of established lore changed for the purpose of making some type of dooable 2-hour movie. IMO they pulled it off quit well in Transformers which was every bit as good as any marvel movie, but whether they can do the same for GIjoe remains to be seen. Either way I think anyone looking for a straight re-creation of anything that has come before (Cartoon or Comic) will be disappointed, and should prepare themselve for something different. Again different doesn't have to mean bad, it just means different.

yeah, loosely based on concepts in the comic is what the movie is, but not based on the actual story of the comic.

Duke and Cobra Commander are buds in the movie -- not in the comic, and the Baroness is of close relation to the both of them -- again, not in the comic. Duke is the all-american soldier (with a 12" homage scar on his face that is part of the story -- not the comic).

but the concepts of the characters are derived (save for Ripcord) from the comic. Snake Eyes and Stormy are from the same ninja clan, that is what you get from the comic, even if the details aren't identical. Destro is a Scottish arms dealer, etc. etc.

and yes, I have read the script. no, I did not read it online. yes, it is valid.