The chances of a re-boot

chelsey

I have heard that IDW has the comic license. Is this true? I am fearful that might mean re-boot. I vote 'no' on the re-boot. This is the reason I registered. If they re-boot, they should publish the main title too. I think after the current World War 3 unfolds more readers will be interested in that than Damon Wayons as Rip-cord getting into trouble just so Duke can pull his butt outta the fire.

I say reboot or Marvel continuum.

I have heard that IDW has the comic license. Is this true?

Not true, it's still being kept under wraps as to who is getting it. I hope it goes back to Marvel and they basically start over keeping certain aspects of the original Marvel stories.

How about they base the new comic on the 25th Anniversary line and set it "somewhere" in the Marvel run without being too specific? That way the Devil's Due stuff still happened but it just hasn't happened yet and is of no concern. So basically it would mean that certain events from the Marvel run would have already happened (Serpentor, Cobra Civil War, 'death' and return of Cobra Commander, defection of Storm Shadow, etc.) while others would not have (the Joe base being shut down). The Joes and Cobras could sport their classic looks just like in the 25th toy line and because it's set at some point in the Marvel run it means that the fact that many characters are Vietnam vets would not be an issue (that being they are too old) and that characters who died in the Devil's Due run would still be alive (namely Lady Jaye). There would probably be a few continuity glitches but nothing major if it were done right.

I would not mind two or three titles at once like what Transformers has with G1, Beastwars and so on.

For GI Joe have a continuation from the Marvel series, a continuation from Devils Due and something original and something for the movie.

If they do more than one book they could appeal to a wider audience and not single anyone out. Just buy the continuation of the one you prefer. I'd probably buy them all.

Or do like Jeff said. Keep the Marvel history but change it up some.

The only thing I have liked from Devils Due are the Declassified books. Work the Declassified stories into the old Marvel stories, throw everything else out and I would be happy.

The thing is that no matter what you do there are going to be poeple that aren't happy. Since it already been unofficially announced that IDW is getting Joe I would put my best bet on us getting a reboot. so that right there is going to make people mad. the main problem with a reboot is that if everythings going to be the same then why do anything at all. But if you change things too much (ie Reloaded) then you get people mad too. Sure having certain character be dead sucks, but they had characters die during Marvel's run and even the least known character is someones favorite.

The thing is that no matter what you do there are going to be poeple that aren't happy. Since it already been unofficially announced that IDW is getting Joe I would put my best bet on us getting a reboot. so that right there is going to make people mad. the main problem with a reboot is that if everythings going to be the same then why do anything at all. But if you change things too much (ie Reloaded) then you get people mad too. Sure having certain character be dead sucks, but they had characters die during Marvel's run and even the least known character is someones favorite.

i agree with u. by the way my fav. character is HARDBALL. and i vote no keep it as is even though hes dead the story must stay as is, no "re-boot" or anything like that.

I'm a keep continuity guy! everybody dies sometime even our favs, and if they don't it gets boring. yeah lj was on of my favs and i was very unhappy with her death, but i loved mainframe and thought his death was honorable and it didn't bother me it all.

I could definatly go for a set in the marvel timeline type story, but i fear it's just not going to happen. Hasbro has the final say in this after all.

In my perfect world, whoever gets the rights, it would be the same continuity, same numbering, a good writer/artist team, with the title changed back to just GI Joe and still at $3.50.

Well, at least we can say, for SURE!, that wherever the comic goes, the numbering will be reset. That's just a given, seeing how #1s are Universal best-sellers, and call out to new readers the way #37 never will.

What would be nice, if they continued the continuity, would be a little #235 on the inside cover. But since I expect, and desire, a reboot in continuity (at least at first), that's just a happy dream via pipe.

The way I see it, if IDW gets the liscence, they'll do "Spotlight" issues, like they're doing now with Transformers. This will let them focus on characters that are not seen in the "main title"... Interesting I say! INTERESTING! Or at least, set up events to take place somewhere in the main title, or other spotlights...

Regardless, I won't buy a single thing until it's released in TBP! It's too much trouble for me to find a good comic shop, pay cover price, bag and board, and also store it. I'm actually looking at selling all my comics as it is. Just not gotten around to putting them ALL up on e-bay. (Shipping would be a killer.)

-Kevin

I'm actually looking at selling all my comics as it is. Just not gotten around to putting them ALL up on e-bay. (Shipping would be a killer.)

Hey Kev, I may take you up on some of those issues. I still have to get some DDP back issues. BTW, I will be in your area on business at the end of March. I owe you a call anyway.......

I'm a keep continuity guy! everybody dies sometime even our favs, and if they don't it gets boring. yeah lj was on of my favs and i was very unhappy with her death, but i loved mainframe and thought his death was honorable and it didn't bother me it all.

I could definatly go for a set in the marvel timeline type story, but i fear it's just not going to happen. Hasbro has the final say in this after all.

Yeah, everybody dies sometime, just like everything else eventually comes to an end. I just think the whole thing is too convoluted and long - most of the characters we all love would have had to been long retired at this point if they fought back in Vietnam.

Speaking as a GI Joe collector who isn't currently interested in the comic, I have to say that a revamp would catch my interest, and that'd probably be true of a lot of fans.

Toss the continuity.

Reboot, or re-imagine it to a degree. Keep the characters, and their starting backstories and just go from the start, but with the modern sensiblities towards art and story. If they use the movie as a bit of a starting point.......meh, I can live with that.

The information on Specwar matters is leagues ahead of where it was 25 years ago--there's tons of reference material now, so there's no excuse for dopey COBRA robo-walkers coming of the sea.

There's all kinds of opportunities in a reboot to tie in the military fantasy with some genuine realism.

Not like Reloaded, but more like the original Marvel run without the cheeze.

I say reboot or Marvel continuum.

I thought this continuity was an extension of the Marvel storyline?

Some people still hold onto hope that a new company would use the Marvel Era as backstory, and disregard the Devil's Due stuff. It's so incredibly unlikely that it makes me laugh. All or nothing are the only options for IDW. Once you start picking and choosing continuity, you've already lost the battle. look what happened with Superman Returns. most fans can't tell you flat out if it was a sequel to the Christopher Reeve movies, or a retelling/reenvisioning of the property.

And don't forget the reader, who will then always compare IDW's decisions to DDP's, for good or ill. Some people actually like a number of characters introduced in the DDP run, and like they way they were used (Kamakura comes to mind) and would want good stories like Snake-Eyes Declassified, Master & Apprentice, and GIJoe Declassified to *stay* in continuity... then you'd *really* be splitting hairs.

All or nothing, Period.

I kinda like ARROWs idea.

I would not mind if they bump things up and have Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Stalker in the Gulf War and not Vietnam. Just to de-age the characters. Keep the rest of the Marvel history very close to the old stuff, all the ways characters are related/connected to each other.

I kinda like ARROWs idea.

I would not mind if they bump things up and have Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Stalker in the Gulf War and not Vietnam. Just to de-age the characters. Keep the rest of the Marvel history very close to the old stuff, all the ways characters are related/connected to each other.

Except that by putting them in another real-world, real time event, you're just going to wind up with the same problem in ten years. Also, Vietnam wasn't just a war for them to be veterans of, it was a catastrophe of events that cost too many soldiers in it's time, and the survivors were *blamed* for it's failure, by and large.

The Marvel comic was a product of this complex and highly negative portryal of the dychotemy between a warrior and his country. It was Larry Hama's personal experience that made the whole thing resonate. Without that context, without the cynical, bitter protryal of the Joes' past, you can really just place Snake-Eyes, Stalker, and Storm Shadow anywhere, at any time, and do a "mission gone wrong" scenario to explain their backstory. Assuming, of course, they even "need" to do that. Hasbro's been trying to paint Snakes and Stormy as brothers of another kind, training as ninja since they were children. Without characters like Wade Collins (why would he be necessary for a reboot?) and other ways to bring Stalker and Snake-Eyes to the GIJoe team, the whole LRRP thing just isn't necessary.

The Marvel comic was a product of this complex and highly negative portryal of the dychotemy between a warrior and his country. It was Larry Hama's personal experience that made the whole thing resonate. Without that context, without the cynical, bitter protryal of the Joes' past, you can really just place Snake-Eyes, Stalker, and Storm Shadow anywhere, at any time, and do a "mission gone wrong" scenario to explain their backstory.

You don't need the Vietnam context for that to work. You could use Grenada, The Gulf War, South America, Somalia, Bosnia, Beruit.......there's lots of more recent conflicts in which the same stoy point can be inserted and still work. As long as those characters have a historical tie for their back story, they can proceed from that.

Heck, they could do a whole "Bravo Two Zero" thing from the Gulf War, and it'd fit to a tee. Given that the Gulf war is now about 16 years in the past, its just over the same length of time the RAH guys were distant from Vietnam. Or they could just make up a conflict, say that they've been fighting in a mountainous region somewhere in Central asia, hunting another terrorist leader and leave the history very non-descript--and let the reader make the associations or not for themselves.

The key differences here is that the Joes today have a correspondingly different battlefield to reference from, in terms of technology. Ninjas, for example, actually work in a better context today than they did in the 80's, because some of the training for Counter-terror operators is as sophisticated and specialized.

And, as I mentioned before, the dirth of reference material is a 1000 times greater today. No more need for showing SAS guys greeting the Joes at Heathrow wearing wooley-pulleys and their berets, uttering " Pip pip, say wot" and all that crap.

I'd not want a grim and gritty take 'a la Reloaded where everyone is fighting out of a trenchcoat, I'd still want the more fantastic portion of the military fantasy aspect to shine through, with limitations.

To me, that'd be the Joes using the latest tech, like Commanche copters and OICW weapons against sensibly upgraded HISS tanks ( with reactive armor and an actual worthwhile gun mounted in the turret). I could do without the silly stuff like Buzz Boars, POGOs or even Trouble Bubbles-unless there was a proper context for them.

To me, those are more important things because they are topical--the backstories of the characters can be mutable to help keep things more contemporary.

You don't need the Vietnam context for that to work.

I didn't say that. What I said was that the cynical nature of the Marvel book was drawn from the resentment of Vietnam (from the POV of a veteran). Since a reboot wouldn't have the same cynical tone (nor should it), the Vietnam connection can be tossed out to. I'm *agreeing* with you on that.

You could use Grenada, The Gulf War, South America, Somalia, Bosnia, Beruit.......there's lots of more recent conflicts in which the same stoy point can be inserted and still work. As long as those characters have a historical tie for their back story, they can proceed from that.

This *was* my point. Tying the Joes into any real-world conflict the way Hama did with vietnam will inevitably come back to bite aft if the continuity is successful and runs ten or fifteen years. The iconic, trademarked, big-name Joes that Hasbro turns to time and again will *never* be allowed to age. So dating them in any way is an exercise in futility. Readers will *always* bring up how long ago such and such war was, and use that as a guide to pinpoint a character's age. A smart writer, working on the reboot, would make up a fictional battlefield that fits tone he needs for the tale he's concocted. if he can make it analogous to a real war, then props and ups. If not, the story is more important than "real-world" tie-ins.

So, again, I was more or less agreeing with you. I even go one further: Not only is Vietnam disposable, but the entire idea of Stalker/ Snake-Eyes/ Storm Shadow having a mutual backstory really isn't necessary. As long as Snake-Eyes and Stormy have the ninja training thing in common, no one's going to miss Stalker having a part in that story. People always complain about Snake-Eyes being connected to everyone, why drag Stalker into that when they can just have mutual respect as members of GIJoe, and be close friends because of that.

That problem with things not working 10 to 15 years later happens in all comic books though. That's the whole reason why characters don't age much or at all. It's just alot more noticible for GI Joe when you have something like a real war to base the timeframe off of.

Even if they threw out an old war with Joes in it they will still have that problem with anything they do.