25th Anniversary Custom Rattler

Looking good!

What is the shade/brand of paint you are using? I've got a couple I've been wanting to dress up

I used Krylon Fusion Patriotic Blue and Satin Black. I'm currently redesigning a pilot's seat that will actually accomodate Wild Weasel's large holster and knife hilt/ammo packs on each leg.

Fusion is specifically designed to work best with plastics, and dries completely in about 15 minutes or less. It cures after 7 days and becomes completely chip-resistant after that.

Here's a shot of the reworked cockpit with Wild Weasel at the controls both open and closed, to show that I've worked around the hip/head room issues...

RattlerPreview2.jpg

RattlerPreview3.jpg

I've ordered repro decals for the Rattler, and according to the receipt email I got today, I should have them in about 10 days...

I'll do a more in-depth pic-fest of the new Rattler once I apply them.

Can you add the word "custom" to your title?

Actually, now that you've said something about it, I was going to indicate that its a custom...but I apparently got ahead of myself in posting everything and didn't. I don't have access to things like editing thread titles...at least I don't think. I'm sure a mod could edit it, though. @smilepunch@

God knows, I don't need Hasbro slapping me with a copyright infringement suit over the accidental omission of one word!

It's looking great and Wild Weasel looks awesome in it!

The plane that I'm using for the new Rattler is the TRU Elite Operations A-10A Thunderbolt II (shameless plug--->>TRU $29.99). I've also heard a few people say that another store carries this aircraft under its "store brand" name too. What actually inspired me to do this project is the cover of the comic that came in the Destro/Breaker comic pack. It clearly shows the Rattlers flying overhead to be A-10As, not the original VTOL design (and missing the rear gunner station). Maybe Cobra upgraded (or downgraded, depending how you look at it) its air force with these more conventional planes instead of the hybridized stuff that MARS was supplying. Of course we all know that this is just the artist's "revisioning" of the original comic cover, but still...good custom fodder that's nearly in the correct scale for the figures! The wingspan on this sucker is enormous!

RattlerPreview4.jpg

I thought it had to be the Elite Operations A-10, as WW wouldn't fit in my RAH Rattler.

25thWW.jpg

I've been tempted to get that A-10, now I really want to get it. :)

Oh trust me, he wouldn't fit in the Elite Operations pilot seat either...at least not without a LOT reworking done to the sides of the seat. I had to literally remove the inner sides of the seat as well as the lower front of the "armrests" so that Wild Weasel's leg holsters would slide underneath them. The armrests themselves are still intact, but each side of the seat is now open, basically acting as a tray to slide each holster under. Those who already have the A-10 will know how the seat looked before the sides were removed. This setup also keeps WW snugly in place without the need of the traditional "back peg" that many early vehicles had. Here's a shot I took last night before sanding and repainting the seat, to give you an idea of how I reworked it...

RattlerPreview5.jpg

The plane that I'm using for the new Rattler is the TRU Elite Operations A-10A Thunderbolt II (shameless plug--->>TRU $29.99). I've also heard a few people say that another store carries this aircraft under its "store brand" name too. What actually inspired me to do this project is the cover of the comic that came in the Destro/Breaker comic pack. It clearly shows the Rattlers flying overhead to be A-10As, not the original VTOL design (and missing the rear gunner station). Maybe Cobra upgraded (or downgraded, depending how you look at it) its air force with these more conventional planes instead of the hybridized stuff that MARS was supplying. Of course we all know that this is just the artist's "revisioning" of the original comic cover, but still...good custom fodder that's nearly in the correct scale for the figures! The wingspan on this sucker is enormous!

Actually Elite Operations is TRU's store brand for Power Team Elite. They were available at Big Lots under their own brand. I think my Big Lots still has one left. KB Toys also should have some.

Rattlers aren't even in the original cover art. http://www.yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe14.shtml

I really don't care at all for coloring of an A-10 Warthog into a Cobra Rattler. Now if you would kitbash it into a VTOL... @hmmm@ It makes a lot more sense for Cobra to use VTOL's.

Ace fits great in the PTE F-18. Wild Weasel fits perfectly in my Python Patrol Conquest.

IVE BEEN EYEING THIS THING FOR AWHILE------AFTER SEEING YOURS I WENT AND BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

ALTHOUGH ITS A FEW DAYS AWAY!!!

its totally like a RATTLER SHOULD BE-------CANT WAIT TO GET SOME PAINT AND STICKERS ON IT

DOC

Here's the latest update on the Rattler...

Just some shots of the engine assembly; front and back:

RattlerPreview7.jpg

RattlerPreview6.jpg

I'm attempting to keep the new Rattler as close to the original as possible, in terms of colors, missiles, etc.

I went to work today and got another A-10 to scavenge the missiles and multi-missile braces from it. The reason behind this is to give it a mix of weaponry very similar to its original payload. As of today, the Rattler is completely done and ready to go, interior cockpit is finished, thruster ports given a light coat of grimey exhaust smut, and a few other neat little things. All that awaits are the decals that will truly designate it as a Cobra tankbuster...even if it DOES lack a copilot/gunner station. Once I get them, I'll actually take some "full-body" shots of it...

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, it took over two weeks of painstaking patience, but it finally paid off...

Here is the 25th Anniversary Rattler --

RattlerFinished.jpg

I took the bombs and missiles from two A-10A sets and combined them to resemble the original loadout, though I had problems photographing the underbelly of the plane. I'll try to play around with the camera a bit more and upload shots of its weaponry in the next day or so.

RattlerPreview11.jpg

RattlerPreview10.jpg

RattlerPreview9.jpg

RattlerPreview8.jpg

Wild Weasel's ride has NEVER looked sweeter!

RattlerPreview4.jpg

WOW BRO WHAT A SWEET IDEA! I NEVER EVEN NOTICE THAT IT WAS A A-10! GREAT WORK CAN'T WAIT TILL IT IS DONE!

Here's the weapons loadout. Though the original "cluster bombs" weren't possible because I didn't have anything to serve as a concave triple-mount on the end of each wing. Instead, I moved 4 bombs underneath the belly of the plane. The Rattler also mounts 4 Sidewinders, 4 long-range missiles, and 2 Comscan units...

RattlerFinished3.jpg

RattlerFinished5.jpg

RattlerFinished4.jpg

RattlerFinished2.jpg