I wish the toy aisles were still like this...

DarthJoe

Just saw this over at the yojoe boards...

Check this video out (specifically at about 12 seconds in) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=iHEUtNU8bIA&feature=related

I would probably pass out if I walked into a store and saw that now. @lol@

Found these two gems over at yojoe too:

gallery_468_43_31028.jpg

I love how the kid in this vid is explaining all the features on the Terrordrome. @lol@

I miss the 80's. :(

Found these two gems over at yojoe too:

gallery_468_43_31028.jpg

I love how the kid in this vid is explaining all the features on the Terrordrome. @lol@

I miss the 80's. :(

Oh, those stupid Joes that come by . . . and I think we all remember Mr Guns. @loll@

Cool vids, I liked this
too.

"Captian Grid Iron. HAHAHA! In your face!"

ROFL!

Holy crap! I love those videos! Awesome! What's funny though is that although it brings back amazing nostalgia and I'd crap my pants if I saw that in a store today, that TRU shot makes it look like Joe isn't selling at all.

WOW!!!!! Lionel Playworld, that's were i got steeler from, it was right in the HI-HO center, when it was there now its a college. my favorite place to go was CHILDS WORLD. one whole Ailey of nothing but joes. on the other side was he-man, and transformers. WOW!!!

WOW!!!!! Lionel Playworld, that's were i got steeler from, it was right in the HI-HO center, when it was there now its a college. my favorite place to go was CHILDS WORLD. one whole Ailey of nothing but joes. on the other side was he-man, and transformers. WOW!!!

HaHA Childs World, damn i remember that, i thought that was only in CT then i see your from B-port, im in Norwalk, Childs World was great

The pics look nice, but at the same time demonstrate why we probably don't see that sort of thing today and why many of those old toy stores are now out of business. You and I see lots of product we all loved, the store owners see lots of product that's not moving.

Yeah I use to remembers those days when I was a kid I would walk into the toy asile in a department store and a whole aslie is nothing but GI Joe.

The good guys on one side and the bad guys and the opposite side.

I sure miss the good ole days.

Back the the day it was about the kids.Now days at about the all mighty dollar.The place I got my GI Joe fix was TG&Y 1982.There was Circus World,TRU(which we didn't have in Texas at the time)and Walmart didn't come to my area until 1984.There were also 2 locally owned Toy stores in Longview Taxas as well.

HaHA Childs World, damn i remember that, i thought that was only in CT then i see your from B-port, im in Norwalk, Childs World was great

Yeah, I grew up in New Jersey and there was a Child World right around the corner from the TRU....I remember going to TRU first and usually talking my mom into going into Child World to see if they had it. The good ol' days man.........I also remember when Kay-Bee toys was actually worth something when it came to hunting......

Of course what I remember is that you didn't have to go hunting.

Every year had a new line of figures and vehicles that would be out for that whole year, and a lot of it would carry over as the new year's stuff slowly replaced it. I would get a bunch of figures and a big vehicle like the WHALE for Christmas, and then another vehicle and handful of figures for my birthday in July. In between I would pick up a new figure here and there with my allowance - since you could get a single figure for around $3.

I bought figures at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and even the grocery store whenever my parents had to go out shopping. We never made special toy shopping trips. We didn't have a Toys R Us in my town until I was about 10, and I remember I bought Destro's Despoiler there on its grand opening day. Before then, Toys R Us was a magical place that I only got to go to once or twice a year when we were visiting relatives who had a Toys R Us in town.

Of course it also helped that I only got the figures I liked, and didn't feel the need to "collect them all" even though the package told me to...

Of course what I remember is that you didn't have to go hunting.

Every year had a new line of figures and vehicles that would be out for that whole year, and a lot of it would carry over as the new year's stuff slowly replaced it. I would get a bunch of figures and a big vehicle like the WHALE for Christmas, and then another vehicle and handful of figures for my birthday in July. In between I would pick up a new figure here and there with my allowance - since you could get a single figure for around $3.

I bought figures at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and even the grocery store whenever my parents had to go out shopping. We never made special toy shopping trips. We didn't have a Toys R Us in my town until I was about 10, and I remember I bought Destro's Despoiler there on its grand opening day. Before then, Toys R Us was a magical place that I only got to go to once or twice a year when we were visiting relatives who had a Toys R Us in town.

Of course it also helped that I only got the figures I liked, and didn't feel the need to "collect them all" even though the package told me to...

Thats a good point.......it seemed like toys were more readily available in the 80's.......going to TRU was an experience back then. I don't think it was because I was younger I mean look at that wall of Joes in that one picture........I can remember MOTU being like that too.......nowadays you only see that type of display for movie figures around the time of a movie coming out. TRU almost always had everything you ever needed.

Back the the day it was about the kids.Now days at about the all mighty dollar.The place I got my GI Joe fix was TG&Y 1982.There was Circus World,TRU(which we didn't have in Texas at the time)and Walmart didn't come to my area until 1984.There were also 2 locally owned Toy stores in Longview Taxas as well.

Oh yeah, I loved TG&Y! There were so many places to pick up Joes and other toys in my town in the 80s like Otasco, Wards, etc., now sadly only Wally World (and on rare occasion Hastings) is all that's left for me here.

Wow! TG&Y...now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time. Oops! Wrong forum for cheesy Star Wars references! :P

I got my very first Storm Shadow at TG&Y back in either '83 or '84. This was back when SS was actually a fairly RARE figure. Finding him was like the crowning achievement of my fledgling collection back then. Then, two years later, TG&Y closed its doors in our area forever. Last time I was back home in Florida visiting family (circa 2003), the building it used to be in is now a branch office of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Children's Palace is where I purchased about 75% of my vintage Joe collection.

The aisles were always packed full of stuff, like you seen in Joe's link, and it wasn't necessarily that they weren't moving the toys themselves, they were just in more demand and kept fully stocked because of it. Plus, they'd keep those toys available a lot longer and by Christmas, they were always wiped out but quickly replaced with new stuff in a couple of months, including the initial wave of the new years assortment.

Everything is too fast and furious now, and no patience for items that don't sellout in two days.

I go to the toy stores now, and see JACK FRIGGIN' SH@# in the name of G.I.Joe. It's annoying enough to sour ones interest in it entirely. There's no spontaneous run to the toy store, when an extra bit of cash falls your way. Instead, it takes "connections" and ultra scheming to claim possession of these adult nostalgia pieces anymore.

Boring!

Great videos and links though. Good memories, good times. :)

Children's Palace was where most of our (brothers and me) G.I. Joes came from, along with our He-man and other figures. The place was always stacked with Joes (from what I remember). I remember the commercials for Childen's Palace used to say it was "where it's at." That was certainly true for most of my childhood.

Toys R Us wasn't a place we hit much until later (around the time X-men figures were around, years later).

Jeez I love this thread.

Jeez I love this thread.

More nostalgia....

CHILDS WORLD/CHILDRENS PALACE