Intel needed on 2008 Con & Dallas!

DPrime

For all of you who have lived/visted there before, what can we expect in terms of, well, everything?

I'm probably not going to stay at the hotel - I saved quite a bit of money at the last con, but what made it work was the excellent public transportation Atlanta had (well, I don't know if it was excellent, but it was certainly very convenient if you were flying in and staying near the airport, and the hotel was right around the corner from one of the stops). How is Dallas in this regard, considering the location of this year's hotel?

Anything else to know? Good places to visit, places to maybe avoid, that sort of thing?

I think I started a thread on this for the Atlanta one as well... Anyway, it really helped out!

When I was at the hotel for the BotCon a couple years back, there really wasn't much around. The hotel did have a decently priced restraunt in it. Public transpo in that area is probably going to be cabs because I don't think they have any of the trains in that area yet. I'll see if I can't drive over in the next couple of weeks and grab a look and some pics to see what's changed as that are is still being developed to I'm sure that there have been additions.

When I was at the hotel for the BotCon a couple years back, there really wasn't much around. The hotel did have a decently priced restraunt in it. Public transpo in that area is probably going to be cabs because I don't think they have any of the trains in that area yet. I'll see if I can't drive over in the next couple of weeks and grab a look and some pics to see what's changed as that are is still being developed to I'm sure that there have been additions.

Thanks in advance. Yeah, when I looked up the address on Google Maps, it certainly didn't seem very close to anything else, not downtown or anything. If I go to the Con (gotta switch some days, but so far that looks good!), I'll probably make this into a big road trip down in the States, so public transport may not be an issue, but even so, if the only way to get to the hotel is in a cab, that's something I'd like to know, because that would just plain suck if it comes down to that...

I agree with Aly, Frisco (where the con is being held) is a boom town that has sprung up really fast. I'm not aware of any public transportation besides taxi cabs.

There is the Super Shuttle service from the airport. $30 for a round trip. I have not investigated it any further beyond just looking for pricing.....in other words, I don't know if the Super Shuttle will drop me off at the hotel. I don't know what is close by other than what they have on the hotel website. I thought there was a mall nearby. If the wifey wants to do anything, it will look like she will have to hike it or take a cab.

Transpo options from D/FW:

Limousine 60.00 USD

Super Shuttle 30.00 USD

Rental Car Located at Airport

Taxi 60.00 USD

For $60, I'd say split the costs and limo it. The Shuttle is definately the cheapest, but call the hotel and see about service to and from the airport.

Transpo from Love Field:

Limousine 53.00 USD

Super Shuttle 30.00 USD

Rental Car Located at Airport

Taxi 60.00 USD

Same as above.

Attractions:

Bi-Centennial Park 4 MI E

Dave & Busters 4 BLK E booze and video games

Dr Pepper Ballpark 1 BLK W

Dr Pepper Starcenter 1 BLK W

FC Dallas 3 MI N

Frisco Central Park 1 MI E

Frisco Roughriders AA Baseball 1 BLK W

Kurt Thomas Gymnastics 1 BLK W

Lakes Tennis Academy 4 MI W

Pizza Hut Frisco Soccer 3 MI N

Stonebriar Mall 2 BLK E

Texas Sculpture Garden 5 BLK W

Texas Tornado Junior Hockey 1 BLK W

The Centre at Preston Ridge 4 BLK E

The Shops at Willow Bend 7 MI S

Tom Fazio Championship Golf 3 MI W

Cyprus Grill is onsite, and these are other local places to eat. My pick of this list is easily La Hacienda Ranch. You should try the "whole enchilada" platter:

Ruth's Chris Steak House

Texas Land and Cattle

Blue Meza Grill

Buca Di Beppo

Dave and Busters

La Hacienda Ranch

III Forks

Randys Steak House

I do have to wonder with all the other great cities in the D/FW area they chose Frisco....there's not really a lot to do off site. Fort Worth would have been a much better choice, as would the Gaylord over in Grapevine. Ah well.

Don't forget Ikea! It's pretty close as well, my wife will be making a stop there during the con. :)

I plan on getting to the con Thursday night. Quick question for you Joe Con vets, is there a cost for the con itself or just if I plan on staying at the hotel? Thanks in advance!

I plan on getting to the con Thursday night. Quick question for you Joe Con vets, is there a cost for the con itself or just if I plan on staying at the hotel? Thanks in advance!

You might want to come earlier than Thurs night since that is registration night. You don't want to miss out on the exclusives other than the con set. Last year they were sold out of most everything rather quickly.

As for your question, the cost for the con includes the set, admittance onto the sales floor, convention dinner/game night and all the seminars and roundtables....this is all regardless if you stay in the hotel or not. It is not out of the ordinary for people to find cheaper lodging and walk or drive over. If you just want to show up to get on the sales floor, that is like $10 or something. I don't know how many con sets are available for the general public. I think this about covers it, but GG and Kev or one of the other vets might have something to add.