Is 3 3/4" scale figures the Wave of the Future?

GreenLanternPrime

With Mattel, WWE and now possibly Hasbro doing 3 3/4" scale action figures, do you think the focus will shift to small scale more than 6" scale? The Mattel line will not only have the big name characters but civilians and army builders. Hasbro may follow suit. I prefer Marvel Legends and 6" scale figures but a smaller scale opens more possibilities for vehicles and scenes/dioramas.

Having Star Wars, G.I. Joe, WWE, DC Universe and Marvel all in a common scale does sound intriguing. Hopefully there will be better figure scale differences between characters like Wolverine compared to the Hulk. When Marvel Toys' Legendary line got cancelled I got a bit concerned for the 6" scale. I can't picture Marvel Legends going away any time soon, though.

one word NO!!!

hasbro know there are thousand of fan for the 6 inch wave and they will keep making them. and not only that but there is no confirmation that there even thinking bout it. so stop this now.

It's good to see that you all prefer the 6" scale like I do! I would rather see Star Wars and G.I. Joe have a Legends scale line rather than see Marvel characters shrink. I had a thread asking the opinions about a Legends of the Force 6" Star Wars line. I feel that you get more detail and articulation with the Leend scale, it's a great balance.

I prefer the 3 3/4" figures so I'll whole-heartedly support that size line if Hasbro comes out with it. Over time I could see dumping off my six inch figures for them, but they'd have to be pretty high caliber and a wide selection.

The Star Wars line by Kenner and GI Joe line back in the late 70's, early 80's cemented my love for that size of figures. They're compatible with each other and you don't need a warehouse to set up a large diorama. :)

I do enjoy the six inch figures and will continue to collect them for some time, but I'd prefer to see 3 3/4 inch figures take off.

I think its cute seeing people cry about 1:18th scale figures "taking over." Please. They've been the most popular boys' toy scale since 80's.

I'll take 1:18 Marvel over anything else. I've annexed my ToyBiz Marvel Legends off my desk and into storage, those beasts are complete space-hogs. Good luck getting any sort of playset or vehicles for your precious 6" line...in six years, you've gotten two vehicles [blackbird and Fantasticar] both of which were pretty shoddy. Meanwhile, Hasbro's producing vehicles left and right for both SW and Joe, and despite claiming playsets are too expensive to produce for the little interest they draw, Hasbro's putting out a playset right off the bat for the new Indiana Jones. You'll see Stark Tower or the X-Mansion in 1:18 scale before you ever see it for Marvel Legends.

You army builders scrambling to collect the Hasbro Legends Hydra henchmen, how many do you have? Three, four? That's hardly army building. Check out the SW collector's clone armies, G.I. Joe fan's B.A.T. and Viper armies. 1:18 just lends to many more possibilities. If you want a nice display piece, I can see the 6" figures being your cup of tea. For avid collectors that like to have giant displays of superpower-fueled city destroying battles? Go 3 3/4" baby!

Hell, its so much easier to quickly hide your 1:18 figures when you're uh..."posing" them once the wife or girlfriend walks in rather than your giant 7" 2lb brick of a Hulk figure.

I'll take 1:18 Marvel over anything else. I've annexed my ToyBiz Marvel Legends off my desk and into storage, those beasts are complete space-hogs. Good luck getting any sort of playset or vehicles for your precious 6" line...in six years, you've gotten two vehicles [blackbird and Fantasticar] both of which were pretty shoddy.

clone armies, G.I. Joe fan's B.A.T. and Viper armies. 1:18 just lends to many more possibilities. If you want a nice display piece, I can see the 6" figures being your cup of tea.

For avid collectors that like to have giant displays of superpower-fueled city destroying battles? Go 3 3/4" baby!

Hell, its so much easier to quickly hide your 1:18 figures when you're uh..."posing" them once the wife or girlfriend walks in rather than your giant 7" 2lb brick of a Hulk figure.

That's your choice to build armies and more power to you. Build 'em giant cities and playsets and hide them under the carpet when the missus comes along. But not all of us want to build such 'empires' and 'legions' of figures. We want something to display on our desktop and home office as sort of a stress reliever. Nothing to hide here . . . Unless you hide em in a confined space or closet or playroom. . . . . that would explode through the rafters at the slightest bit of nudge on the door (evoking images of Steve Martin or Jim Carrey trying to keep them at bay) !!

I wish that MArvel and DC would have started with 3 3/4 figures. It would make large sized BAF easier. I think that is the best scale (I am a star Wars guy). I am not goingt o start all over though. If they drop 6 I am out.

Your first statement states you are for the scale, then you conclude your post with a nay. Talk about fickle-mindedness. It's either you are FOR or AGAINST us ! Long live Marvel Legends !! Long live SPARTA !!

I am for any toy line that goes to the 3 3/4 scale, as long as they don't end up having the JL/JLU 6 points of non ball-jointed articulation. Marvel Legends or DC Classics level of articulation would be just fine, please and thank you.

Over time I could see dumping off my six inch figures for them

Please feel free to dump them in my direction. ;)

well, by "dumping off" I mean financing the new addition to my house by selling them on eBay. ;)

With Mattel, WWE and now possibly Hasbro doing 3 3/4" scale action figures, do you think the focus will shift to small scale more than 6" scale? The Mattel line will not only have the big name characters but civilians and army builders. Hasbro may follow suit. I prefer Marvel Legends and 6" scale figures but a smaller scale opens more possibilities for vehicles and scenes/dioramas.

Having Star Wars, G.I. Joe, WWE, DC Universe and Marvel all in a common scale does sound intriguing. Hopefully there will be better figure scale differences between characters like Wolverine compared to the Hulk. When Marvel Toys' Legendary line got cancelled I got a bit concerned for the 6" scale. I can't picture Marvel Legends going away any time soon, though.

definitely not!

Nope, I don't think 3 3/4" scale is going to take over.

Toy trends are cyclical, and right now the "trend" in terms of action figure is showing a steady decline on action figure sales, according to the toy industry pundits.

The sales decline has been steady for the past 20 years of so, and despite what appears to be a sizable number of action figure lines on the pegs right now, none of those lines are selling in the volumes that action figures once did--again, this according to the folks that report on the biz.

IMO, the 6" ( 1/12th) scale is probably going to edge out the 3 3/4" scale over the long term--because action figures will shift to being collectibles more and playthings less.

Since most retailers balk at playsets and vehicles because of the footprint they have on the shelves, and the pricepoint of larger items means they have to choose a riskier, more expensive item instead of a lot of smaller, cheaper items.

Hey, retailers make their profit margins with volume, not with price--so the idea of 3 3/4" scale stuff supporting vehicles isn't necessarily borne out.

6" scale figures have more detail, more heft, and attract a more mature consumer base--which the collectible aspect is shifting towards.

3 3/4" will probably tag along in popularity for awhile, but in the long term 6" will be the dominant scale.

Please 6 inchers get a grip! 3 3/4 inch isn't taking over. They are just additions. @smilepunch@

Let's take a tally on new 1/18th scale figures...

Hellboy

Heroes

Indiana Jones

Star Trek

DC Infinite Heroes

WWE

Harry Potter

Hulk Movie line which uses old G.I. Joe molds

Ages of Action

then possibly a Marvel one too.

I'm a die hard Legends fan, and I hope the line continues forever, but if 3 3/4 legends are able to have as much detail then I would buy them. I would love to see vehicles and playsets. Have you ever set up a superhero showdown figure with a BAF Sentinel. They look pretty awesome together.

Look the whole 3 inch thing is just a systemic cost of oil increase that all of the industry is facing. 6"ers cost more than 10.00 now msrp. That's too much for the standard parent to spend these recession worried days. Hence the industries almost unilatteral shift to 3 3/4 figures. This was the same situation as the 70's oil crisis. The 3 3/4 Star Wars figures were made that size BECAUSE we were in an oil crisis at the time, and now the same thing is happening again. Inflation aside, a figure has to be around the $5-7 dollar range for it to be successfull for kids. And with oil over $100 a barrel, toy companies are having to cut down in order to meet thier target cost.

Let's face it, 3 3/4 figures can meet the $5-7 price range, 6"ers are gonna be upwards of $10-15-20.00 now.

That being said, I'd pay $20.00 for a GOOD, Quality, 6 inch legend. NOT 8", NOT 12".

A good, 6 inch figure.

Make mine Marvel!

NO! DC's new 3 3/4 didn't look too great. No where near as good as the 25th GI JOES. The new marvel 3 3/4 better be at least as good as the 25th Joes if it wants to last.

Well, on the side of the Marvel rumor - Hasbro has the GI Joe and Star Wars line at the same size and both are very well made and they also have the Indiana Jones line coming in the 1:18 scale, which looks awesome as well. I would hope/assume the Marvel figures would look just as good as their other smaller scaled lines.

Are you kidding me? The Star Wars line are now getting expensive at stores! As much as 9.99 per figure MOC !

Oy vey! Where are you finding these figures at? Star Wars figures around my area are mostly $6.63 (Wal-Mart) and a bit more (6.80-6.99) at other stores (Target/TRU.) The comic packs are usually around $9.99, but thats with 2 figures and a comic. Now the VOTC were $10 - but... thats a whole different story.

But also keep in mind SW is a bit more expensive because of the exorbitant licensing fee. Joes sit on a $5-$6 price tag, and Mattel says their 1:18 line should around $5 as well.

Marvel might be looking at the global market and capitalizing on the popularity of the 3 3/4 line there as well. Witness the popularity of Gashapon characters in Asia. I got some of the Marvel versions last year and they were real stunning. Especially Black Cat and Psylocke. Check them out and use Google.

Are you kidding me? The Star Wars line are now getting expensive at stores! As much as 9.99 per figure MOC !

The only single-carded figures ever sold at retail for $9.99 were from the "Vintage Original Trilogy Collection," which was supposedly a high-end, more "limited" line that featured added articulation and a protective clamshell. In other words, it was kind of a rip-off aimed squarely at collectors. It's basically been discontinued.

Star Wars figures ordinarily range from about $6.50 (Wal-Mart) to $8.50 (K-Mart).

I'm looking forward to the 3 3/4" line. It opens up a ton of possibilities. I don't get what all the opposition is about...just don't buy 'em if you don't like 'em. I think Hasbro's big enough to be able to put equal care and attention into both the 3 3/4" and 6" lines. And for everyone who's been desperate for BAF Quinjets, "build-a-scenes," playsets and the like, the smaller line could be the answer.