Psychological Thrillers

DarthJoe

I've been on this huge psychological thriller kick lately and was wondering if anyone has any movies to recommend?

I'm looking for movies that I'm really gonna have to think about and rewatch a few times to completely understand them, kind of like Donnie Darko.

Some movies that I've already had recommended are Lost Highway, Muholland Dr., and Requiem For A Dream, so if you have anything to add to this list, or any comments about any of these movies, please let me know! :D

Oh, and for those of you who enjoy these kinds of movies, be on the lookout for Southland Tales hitting DVD this year. It's by the writer and director of Donnie Darko, and is a huge mindf**k. I have no idea what happened in that movie after watching it, and probably couldn't even try to explain it. @lol@

Ha, I was just going to say, Identity. Great movie.. Seriously! Much better than it seemed like it would be!!

I LOVE psych. thrillers, suspense thrillers, any type of thrillers!! (Usually.. :) ) Also, horror. Tis great! So interesting...

So, I watched The Nines. It was a good movie, but nothing too great or mindblowing. The build up for the movie was actually better than the climax. It all just kind of fell apart at the end, and seemed like the writer/director was trying to come up with something extremely profound, and thoughtful, but came off more as cheesy, and not that insightful.

I'll have to check out Identity.

I've been on this huge psychological thriller kick lately and was wondering if anyone has any movies to recommend?

I'm looking for movies that I'm really gonna have to think about and rewatch a few times to completely understand them, kind of like Donnie Darko.

Some movies that I've already had recommended are Lost Highway, Muholland Dr., and Requiem For A Dream, so if you have anything to add to this list, or any comments about any of these movies, please let me know! :D

Oh, and for those of you who enjoy these kinds of movies, be on the lookout for Southland Tales hitting DVD this year. It's by the writer and director of Donnie Darko, and is a huge mindf**k. I have no idea what happened in that movie after watching it, and probably couldn't even try to explain it. @lol@

I've been wanting to see Southland Tales. For some reason i immediately thought of

Gilliam's Brazil when i saw the trailer. The cast itself looks surreal.

As far as psychological thrillers go in the vein of your examples...

i'd recommend any other David Lynch movie, Cronenberg's Videodrone, Jacob's Ladder,

and Naked Lunch. Those are some that tend to make my head go cuckoo banana flakes

:P

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to see Southland Tales. For some reason i immediately thought of

Gilliam's Brazil when i saw the trailer. The cast itself looks surreal.

As far as psychological thrillers go in the vein of your examples...

i'd recommend any other David Lynch movie, Cronenberg's Videodrone, Jacob's Ladder,

and Naked Lunch. Those are some that tend to make my head go cuckoo banana flakes

:P

Damn! you beat me to it. But yes, Naked Lunch is by far the most trippest "mind f**k" you'll ever go on.

also, if your not too put off by the "gay hustler" theam, try "My Own Private Idaho". it tends to be very sureal.

Almost forgot, check out this flick called "Fracture". Staring Anthony Hopkins. If you do, try to pit your deductive skills against mine. when dude got the call when he was at the Opra house informing him about the lab results on the gun, I had the case cracked & solved.

Also, if you want a realy good movie you can curl up in bed w/that special someone & watch & get the sh*t spooked out of you w/out it being about slashing flesh. Then I highly suggest watching "The Mothman Prophies".

The fact that so much is based on real life accounts is creepy. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm sure they took creative licence along the way, but dude, I'm telling you. after you watch this it'll be a while befor you can sleep.

& not nessarly because of fear, but from the mind trip of it all. Let me know what you think if you watch any of them.

Almost forgot, check out this flick called "Fracture". Staring Anthony Hopkins. If you do, try to pit your deductive skills against mine. when dude got the call when he was at the Opra house informing him about the lab results on the gun, I had the case cracked & solved.

Also, if you want a realy good movie you can curl up in bed w/that special someone & watch & get the sh*t spooked out of you w/out it being about slashing flesh. Then I highly suggest watching "The Mothman Prophies".

The fact that so much is based on real life accounts is creepy. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm sure they took creative licence along the way, but dude, I'm telling you. after you watch this it'll be a while befor you can sleep.

& not nessarly because of fear, but from the mind trip of it all. Let me know what you think if you watch any of them.

Mothman Prophecies is pretty cool. It's better reading about the actual accounts though. :D

I'll check out all the movies you guys mentioned, and let you know what I thought.

The most recent one I watched was "Mulholland Dr." Even after reading other people's opinions of what was going on in that movie, there's a lot of things that don't make sense, and/or fit together. After I finished watching it, I was left with the "WTF" feeling, but it never really held any personal meaning for me. Didn't really catch the message Lynch was trying to convey (if there was one)...just left me feeling like I came off a bad acid trip. @lol@ A lot of the symbolism escaped me, and when they were doing the big "reveal" at the end of the movie, I still couldn't place where all the characters throughout the movie fell in line. Could have been something to do with how much I had to drink that night, I guess. @lol@ Cool movie overall I guess, but extremely confusing.

Also watched "Requiem For A Dream." Good movie, but not much thought process behind trying to figure out what was going on, as opposed to "Mulholland"...where I spent the rest of the night trying to figure it out to no avail.

David Lynch films generally take a lot of patience and a lot of googling after you have finished to figure out what the @#$% you just watched. But I'm a huge Lynch fan so I have to also add Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. And while not exactly a thriller completely - A Clockwork Orange is also a good one to watch and Fight Club is always a fun one to re-watch.

David Lynch films generally take a lot of patience and a lot of googling after you have finished to figure out what the @#$% you just watched. But I'm a huge Lynch fan so I have to also add Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. And while not exactly a thriller completely - A Clockwork Orange is also a good one to watch and Fight Club is always a fun one to re-watch.

Dude thoes are totaly b*tchin picks. you got realy good taste in flicks. I almost forgot about "A Clock Work Orange".

Hay by chance do you (or any one here) know if "Catcher In The Rye" has been made in to a movie (that is that isn't crap)?

Dude those are totally b*tchin picks. you got really good taste in flicks. I almost forgot about "A Clock Work Orange".

Hay by chance do you (or any one here) know if "Catcher In The Rye" has been made in to a movie (that is that isn't crap)?

Thanks! I spend way too much time watching movies, and can sometimes lend myself to being a movie snob ( or at the very least an aficionado of the motion picture.) I don't know of any adaptations (much less good) of Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, but I have been known to be wrong on occasions. @smilepunch@

I thought of a few more . I dont know if these are all are technically considered "Psychological Thrillers" , but they are still pretty good :

The Game

Dark City

The Machinist

The Others ( more of a ghost story )

I thought of a few more . I dont know if these are all are technically considered "Psychological Thrillers" , but they are still pretty good :

The Game

Dark City

The Machinist

The Others ( more of a ghost story )

My suggestion is you go see Jacob's Ladder and Old boy.

Ok, try & wrap your heads around this one. "Short Bus". Its EXTREAMLY sexual. & when I say sexual, I mean just that!

As a matter of fact all the sex that takes place is 1000% real. At first glance it might come off as being kinda "gay", but if you give it a real chance you'll see that its about every kind of sexuality, every kind of person, & every kind of love there is.

It take a lil while for the movie to come to gether & form a plot. but that done on purpose. A lot of what happens in the first 20mins is very visual & artistic. But eventualy the movie comes to center its self around this sex therapist (who ironicly has never had an orgazium her self), but tried to help others w/their sex lives.

This movie is simply all things! Funny, sad, sick, kinky, beautiful, & so many more. I'm certain it can be found online. good luck!

Old Boy...ahh, thats a good one too. You dont realize how twisted it is until the very

end.

Twisted doesn't even begin to describe it. I had to take a scalding hot shower to wash the "dirty-ness" away.

A few more to add to the list:

13th Floor

The Cell

Se7en

Cube (1997 - not to be mistaken for The Cube from 1980)

Old Boy...ahh, thats a good one too. You dont realize how twisted it is until the very

end.

Twisted doesn't even begin to describe it. I had to take a scalding hot shower to wash the "dirty-ness" away.

A few more to add to the list:

13th Floor

The Cell

Se7en

Cube (1997 - not to be mistaken for The Cube from 1980)

13th Floor was a pleasant surprise. Remember buying that one on a whim and wondering

why it wasnt more popular. Had that 6th Sense appeal.

Cube is good too. Saw bits of the sequel and it looked awful. Never saw the

prequel.

Might have to check out The Cell. I remember a cool looking trailer but i never got around to seeing it.

i saw the cell so long ago, but now i totally forget it haha.

I just started watching the Saw movies (i just have to watche dthe 4th one now), and im diggin them alot more than i thought it would. each one has a twist at the end i really didnt see comin. nothing too major like the 6th sense, but still unexpected

Jacobs Ladder is a CLASSIC.

A Scanner Darkly, Memento, Vertigo (old Hitchcock flick), Cat People, Eddie and the Cruisers (it does have a helluva shocker at the end),

and I seem to remember a movie called "The Island of Lost Children" starring Ron Perlman of Hellboy fame. I also think Event Horizon is kind of a mindfuck. Saw Manchurian Candidate recently and it really unnerved me... particularly the fact that Im in the Army and the way our government is going. One of the best movies in years imo isnt so much as a psychological thriller, but one that takes intellegence to watch and understand the underlying meaning of the film: V for Vendetta.

Jacobs Ladder is a CLASSIC.

A Scanner Darkly, Memento, Vertigo (old Hitchcock flick), Cat People, Eddie and the Cruisers (it does have a helluva shocker at the end),

and I seem to remember a movie called "The Island of Lost Children" starring Ron Perlman of Hellboy fame. I also think Event Horizon is kind of a mindfuck. Saw Manchurian Candidate recently and it really unnerved me... particularly the fact that Im in the Army and the way our government is going. One of the best movies in years imo isnt so much as a psychological thriller, but one that takes intellegence to watch and understand the underlying meaning of the film: V for Vendetta.

Those are some of my favorite movies! Event Horizon was pretty good and the City of Lost Children. The twins creeped me out.

I love this thread. I'm taking notes here for my netflix cue. : ) Have you guys seen Barton Fink? I'm not sure if its a psych thriller coz i saw it once when i was like 8 or something. I remember seeing a talking cockroach with a hole on its back.

I love these movies too!

Hmm... How about 21 Grams & Stay. Have you seen em?

I love these movies too!

Hmm... How about 21 Grams & Stay. Have you seen em?

never saw 21grams but I heard about it. what's so freaky about it IMO is that bodies are for the most part thought to get heavyer when dead (hence the saying "dead weight").

Hay don't forget about "Flatliners" staring Kevin Beacon. For its time, it was a real thriller.

Wow!

I have quite a few movies to watch now. @lol@

I've kinda fallen behind in my movie watching the last few weeks while I've been setting up my toy room. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Flatliners was a great movie and still holds up well to this day.

Has anyone seen "Southland Tales" starring the Rock and Sara Michelle Geller? It was written and directed by the guy that did "Donnie Darko". While I still am very much intrigued by this film (due to the fact that Im still trying to understand the point the movie was trying to make), I have to say I wasnt really impressed with it. The Rock did an amazing job in the movie, as did Buffy... but this movie was so busy and rather confusing that I can honestly say I did not like it.

Also watched "No Country for Old Men". SUCH a great movie until the end... I don't get the ending and am probably going to buy the book to hopefully get a better understanding of the flick.

If you haven't seen the remake of "The Manchurian Candidate" with Denzel Washington, I would suggest this movie to anyone. Its a very disturbing movie and really makes me think about our good old government.