Why is it a BIG PROBLEM finding G.I.Joe and Starwars

RedKat

Like I said before I only go toy shopping when I'm already in the area or happen to be at one of the stores for another reason. The only store I check relatively often is the Wal-Mart 5 minutes away and I might do that twice a week.

It all comes down to patience, diligence, and what people find to be most important. I personally don't care for the hunt, but I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Absolutely!

The thing to emphasize here is that there's no right way or wrong way to go about collecting. Its a matter of personal choice. If the circumstances and choices of a collector say to shop in stores, then I'd say by all means do so. I just feel for collectors that "complain" they cannot find anything, and believe that exploring other options might be the solution.

Personally, I love when this topic comes up. When I lived minutes away from all the different stores, and my stores kept getting the figures, I enjoyed hunting. I think I have somewhere around 100 two-packs, and 50-100 single packs waiting to be opened still. (I actually cannot find the single packs of all my DTC Cobra Troopers.)

But, now that my closest store is a ten minute trip, and the next closest is ten in the opposite direction from my house, I find it easier to shop online. I have ordered the comic packs, and the TRU exclusives from TRU.com. I get my single pack figures from BBTS and Brians Toys. I have recently started ordering cases from them. Originally my Wave 1 08 was from BBTS, but Brians Toys got them in first. The Wave 2 08 (which is on its way to me now!), and Wave 4 07 were both with BBTS. I am not sure, but I think I also pre-ordered Wave 3 08 from BBTS. The case break downs of these are getting more and more reasonable.

I also bought four Stalkers (the picture was of the yellow one, had to check) from BBTS, and returned them when they were green, for store credit. Great Customer Service! With the recent luck of HTS having figures, I ordered two Cobra troopers, a Red Ninja and two Stalkers (also the yellow picture is up). The Stalkers are green though! So, gonna hold onto 'em, instead of returning them since I don't know how HTS' return policy works, and don't mind NOT finding out.

Although, due to lucky friends (adroq, if anyone knows him and GGPIKE) I've also run into a few extra Stalkers, and Shipwrecks. I think I have a total of six figures extra.

My plan, not exactly fair and honest to the brick and morter stores is to buy single figures when I find them, and return my "extras" if the receipt just says "G.I.Joe" and they all scan the same. :) Otherwise, I'll end up giving them away come Christmas!

-Kevin

To me when it comes down to having the only chance to get the figure is being able to guess exactly when they are re-stocking the shelf, it gets to the point where it's more trouble than it's worth. Like for instance the only chain at least around here that carries the wave 2 comic pack is Wal-Mart and only 1 Wal-Mart in this area even carries GIJoe. Now that one Wal-Mart is just 10 mins down the road, so its not a far drive, but I was hitting the place up daily after xmas waiting for them to stock those comic packs and then i hit a stretch of a few days where I was to busy to make a run to the store and that happened to be when they put the wave out, so by the time I got there they were picked clean because of course they only put out 1 case. At that point I just said screw it and ordered them online with wave 3 and the wave 6 singles. I pay a little more, but less frustration and worry. Yes 9 times out of 10 if you wait long enough they do show up, but that wait can sometimes be months, and there is always that 1% chance you won't find it :). For Star Wars I still have not found those two Sith figures. There are plenty of Star Wars figures on the shelf, problem is week after week, store after store it's the exact same figures you find sitting there.

Me personally, I like ordering factory cases online. I mean, yeah, it's alot of fun to walk into a store and find stuff unexpectedly, just like in the good ol' days, but I order online for two reasons: 1. Around here, Joes are just about impossible to find anywhere. They show up occaisionally at Target, and a couple of times I've found a figure or two at Wal-Mart, but sheesh...it's been like panning for gold or something around here. (lol) 2. I like collecting these figures MOMC, and when you order cases online, nine times out of ten you get figures on perfect cards. If I had a third reason, it would be the fact that it's exciting to get figures in the mail. It's like Christmas, or like when you were a kid and you waited forever to get that mail-in offer figure you sent off for, and then suddenly one day it arrives...yeah. It's a similar feeling.

I also agree with ARROW and JayC; it boils down to the fact that at the end of the day it's just worth my satisfaction and peace of mind to pay a little more and order factory cases online. I get entire waves all at once, and most of them are on mint cards that fifteen different people have handled and/or mangled in stores. (lol) It's totally worth it for me.

To all you guys who are shopping online, what places are you using that has fair prices?

The main ones I see (smalljoes, Bigbadtoystore, etc.) charge about 40% more per figure plus large fees for shipping. I thought about ordering a 2 pack and a single from one of them. Total cost with slowest available shipping would be about $35 dollars, which is crazy.

Any places that sell for at least close to the actual retail cost (and actually have them)? Habro online/TRU online charge retail, but they never have enough figs for normal people to catch them.

Thank you for the help!

Another thing to add to some of the excellent points others, like ARROW, have made in this thread, is that if you buy in quantity (either whole waves or cases) from places like bbts or smalljoes, you don't end up paying much more than normal retail price.

BBTS usually runs cases of 8 at $49.99, which comes to about $6.24/figure. That's only 25 cents more than what target charges. Of couse you have to factor in shipping, but when you consider the time and gas you might waste trying to find these figures in stores, it probably costs you less to pay shipping, especially with the price of gas these days. @lol@

Just as an example, I have been getting behind on my 25th collection, and since my tax return just came in, I went to BBTS to catch up tonight, where ordered the following:

- Wave 4 case of 8 ($49.99)

- Wave 5 set of 5 ($39.99)

- Comic 2-Packs Wave 1 and 2 set of 5 ($49.99)

- Torch and Ripper 2-pack ($14.99)

- Shipping costs for the above ($17.75)

Preorders:

- Tomax and Xamot 2-Pack ($14.99)

- Wave 6 case of 8 ($47.99)

- Wave 7 case of 8 ($47.99)

- Wave 7 Spirit ($7.99)

- Wave 8 Roadblock ($7.99)

Not adding in shipping, I'm getting 45 figures for $281.91. That's about $6.26/figure. My total shipping for all of this, if I chose to have the preorder stuff shipped at the same time will be about $40.00, which brings the price up to about $7.15/figure. In my opinion, that's a pretty fair price to pay for the convenience of not even having to leave your house to get them. @wink@

Not adding in shipping, I'm getting 45 figures for $281.91. That's about $6.26/figure. My total shipping for all of this, if I chose to have the preorder stuff shipped at the same time will be about $40.00, which brings the price up to about $7.15/figure. In my opinion, that's a pretty fair price to pay for the convenience of not even having to leave your house to get them. @wink@

That is a fair price. However 45 figures at around $2 extra means you're spending close to $100 more than retail. And I see that as being 20 more Joes or 15 more SW figures or more battlepacks, vehicles, comic packs, etc... Thats what gets me. I don't do crazy ride around the state hunts blowing money on gas and snacks. I check local stores when I'm there already shopping our nearby (IE driving by them to get somewhere else.) I never go more than 5 miles out of my way and I've never missed anything yet.

I've tried to justify the online shopping in my head, but I would rather wait than pay. I suppose that is all that it really boils down to. Of course I also live in a smaller rural area where there aren't swarms of collectors, scalpers, or children who play with things other than camo and hunting rifles. @smilepunch@

Either way to the original poster or whoever it really comes down to what you prefer and how you would rather spend your money. There is no wrong way to collect.

Although, due to lucky friends (adroq, if anyone knows him and GGPIKE) I've also run into a few extra Stalkers, and Shipwrecks. I think I have a total of six figures extra.

Stalkers and Shipwrecks? I could have sworn it was Cobra Troopers I sent you @smilepunch@

I'm right there with you. I have gotten almost sick of spending time and money driving everywhere to try and find the figures. BBTS has become my new best friend. Even though I have 3 Walmarts and 5 Targets to choose from, I can't spend my whole day driving to each one. And, like JAYC said, you literally have to be there when they open the case. If you miss it by 10 - 20 min, the Joes are gone.

I'm new to the Joe hunt...I just, TODAY, started my 25th anniv. collecting...I picked up Serpentor, Cobra Soldier x2 and Crimson Guard x2. I think I'm heading out again tomorrow....typically I've seen the 1st series of comic packs (which I'm not too fond of) lots of shipwrecks, hooded cobra commanders and a couple of stalkers...and a lone Flash hanging at TRU

I'm new to the Joe hunt...I just, TODAY, started my 25th anniv. collecting...I picked up Serpentor, Cobra Soldier x2 and Crimson Guard x2. I think I'm heading out again tomorrow....typically I've seen the 1st series of comic packs (which I'm not too fond of) lots of shipwrecks, hooded cobra commanders and a couple of stalkers...and a lone Flash hanging at TRU

you know i always thought that shipwreck was going to be the hardest to find. boy i was way off on that one, every were you turn hes there with the hooded C.C. Ill be lucky if i can get my hands on a stalker. or destro,

"I don't do crazy ride around the state hunts blowing money on gas and snacks. I check local stores when I'm there already shopping or nearby (IE driving by them to get somewhere else.) I never go more than 5 miles out of my way and I've never missed anything yet."

Alas, I follow the same process and never see anything. I gave in and ordered online.

the only thing i don't like about online ordering is no way to tell of quality of figures/paint apps.

Well, here's the thing about that:

If your local store only gets one case in, and the selection has been picked through---there's likely only one of two of any figure on the pegs for you to choose from anyway.

If you find only one of the figures, but its paints apps or quality are iffy ( based on what you can see through the bubble)--you are faced with a dilemma: do you buy it as is, or pass and HOPE you get another shot later?

The argument in favour of on-line shopping on this point is that if a individual figure (or whole order) is flawed in a way you really don't like.....you can ( with most places, I assume) return it and get another--which will hopefully have better apps etc.

And if you become a steady customer with a on-line retailer, its actually possible to have them scout the condition of a set of figures for you--but you'd probably have to build up that relationship and ask nicely to get that level of service.

To my mind, that "blind buy" with a online order can actually gives you a few more options.

I just have patience. EVENTUALLY....I find what I am looking for...and every now and then I am lucky and am in the right place at the right time.....but I never go without. :)

My wife helps out and the Johio gang is trying to build a network of collectors helping collectors. So finding things around me is just a matter of time.

It is frustrating......especially since I haven't seen any new Joes on the pegs in a while......at least since before Christmas....all I'm seeing is that filler wave with Duke/Gung-Ho/Air-Trooper.......I finally found Wave 3 of the comic packs last nite but I never even saw wave 2 anywhere........it really is frustrating.