Hasbro Provides Customizing Guidelines to Collectors

Goldbug

its about time

theres quite a few ebayers selling carded custom figures that look exactly like the originals minus being brand new looking of course

I hope hasbro puts the hammer down on some of these guys, but leaves the good custumizers alone

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?pa...8A85C51782405B1

Anyway I would assume this applies to other Hasbro properties as well.

I advise TFieds.com to ask http://tfieds.com/useritems.php?user_siteid=1408 to remove his repro boxes from the site.

Oookay, you come into the GIJoe section to narc on some guy selling Transformers????? What are you the internet police or something?

Im sure if Hasbro cares they can contact the seller or Tfieds themself and ask to have them removed.

its about time

theres quite a few ebayers selling carded custom figures that look exactly like the originals minus being brand new looking of course

I hope hasbro puts the hammer down on some of these guys, but leaves the good custumizers alone

I HEAR YA ON THIS MAN. #US1#

I find that it's cool that they acknowledge the hard work and creativity that goes into making the customs! That was really polite and just damn right cool of Hasbro to say!

I agree with selling completely original figures but re-tooling original figures and trying to pass them off as the original thing is just down right ridiculous!

Are you guys F@cking serious? your praising hasbro for this! you feel the customizers who make custom cards for there custom figures and sell them as customs should have the "hammer" dropped on them!

All hasbro is doing with this is sucking the fun out of the hobby! they should be stopped! not the customizer for adding something cool to the hobby!

Why is everyone lining up to kiss hasbros ass lately?

Hasbro can eat my @ss! the 25th product aint good enough for me to take sh!t off of F@cking toy company suits, of all people!

show so spine! email hasbro and tell them hands off the customizing community! 75% of whom create better product then they do! and if they are going to "go after" the gijoe card customizers then they need to go after the star wars customizers as well i can link them at least 500 card art legal violations as outlined in there own "customizing guidelines!

Toiletmonkey1

Im not a customizer so I dont care

but being a company owner, if someone stole my copyrights for there own personal gain, and didnt compensate me for any of it, you can rest assured, they would have a suit on thier hands

This is entirely illegal and frankly am surprised these copyright thiefs have gotten away with it this long

just my 2 cents, hasbro has every right to be outraged, and they are saying customizers cant customize and they are even saying go ahead and sell them

all customizers cant do is use copyrighted names and logos, how is this soo wrong

Wheres it going to end? a few years ago they were going after anyone who used the font that resembled the gijoe logo. and alot of web sites had to change the logos they had for years or risk legal action. sites that all they did was promote the gijoe hobby! now its you cant make a custom card for your custom figure period! it doest say you can make a custom card you just cant sell it. this means that if i make a custom figure with a custom card i could not show it on this site without getting myself and or jayc in trouble with hasbro!

Its tying our creative hands behind our backs and it lessens our enjoyment of the hobby alittle more every time they take something away!

dont you see how this will effect customizers? i now you said you are not one and you dont care, but because of this you and i will have less cool custom stuff to look at!

They are only hurting the their biggest fans when they flip out over stupid sh!t. the more things that say "gijoe" on them only helps hasbro dont ya think? hasbro should encourage it instead they bully and scare people. they had better watch it...it may just bite em' in the ass!

I encourage everyone to email hasbro tell them to loosen up! they aint loosing dick by this! and they are only pissing on the people that buy,promote and love their products the most!!!

Thats the way i feel about it. i know this is falling on deaf ears, people in this hobby aint the same anymore. they dont care what happens to their fellow collectors or customizers. but that could be said for all people anymore i guess. no wonder im feeling disconnected from it lately.

TM

Paranoid nonsense

So, do you wear a tinfoil hat or what? Do you regularly warn your neighbors about the coming new world order and insist satellites can steal your thoughts?

Not only is Hasbro commending the customizing community for their work, they're acknowledging them as an important part of the G.I. Joe community itself. The only thing that's changed is the crackdown on eBay customizers making "authentic" looking card art along with the figures and turning them for a profit. The figures themselves are still within your artistic right you so valiantly defend. From what I've seen, this seems to be more of an issue with Star Wars figures than the G.I. Joe brand but either way, Hasbro's property is Hasbro's property, not your's. They have the right to protect their brands, images, and logos, even if that means telling some poor fan to take the five minutes in Photoshop necessary to change his website's logo. Yeah, I feel so sorry for the webmaster. Get over it.

This just seems like another outlet for you to raise your voice about your dissatisfaction with the figures Hasbro produces, which is to say, anything that isn't 1980's classic-style.

Are you guys F@cking serious? your praising hasbro for this! you feel the customizers who make custom cards for there custom figures and sell them as customs should have the "hammer" dropped on them!

All hasbro is doing with this is sucking the fun out of the hobby! they should be stopped! not the customizer for adding something cool to the hobby!

Hasbro can eat my @ss! the 25th product aint good enough for me to take sh!t off of F@cking toy company suits, of all people!

show so spine! email hasbro and tell them hands off the customizing community! 75% of whom create better product then they do! and if they are going to "go after" the gijoe card customizers then they need to go after the star wars customizers as well i can link them at least 500 card art legal violations as outlined in there own "customizing guidelines!

Toiletmonkey1

I gotta agree, to a degree, with die fighting x.

I mean they aren't telling people NOT to customize, they are telling people not to customize/make their own and PASS IT OFF AS REAL.

If I make my own, say 25th Sludge Viper and maket he packagine identical to Hasbros, then sell it without indicating that it isn't real (people ARE gullible, hence needing stupid things like this) then that's fraud and can make the company look bad.

However, if I indicate the item IS a custom, I can sell as many as I want.

Basically speaking, their are reminding customizers to be careful.

Toiletmonkey1

I TOTALLY SEE WHERE YOUR COMIN FROM TM BUT I THINK THEY ARE "REALLY" TALKIN ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO MASS PRODUCE CARDED CUSTOMS AND ETC. I KNOW THEY DO MEAN ANYONE MAKIN EVEN ONE CARDED FIGURE COMIN CLOSE TO THERE ART WORK AND STUFF BUT THEY REALLY WANT THE PEOPLE WHO SELL IT MORE.

FUNNY FIRST TIME I CAN REMEMBER U EVER GETTIN HEATED ABOUT SOMETHING LMAO!

if they are going to "go after" the gijoe card customizers then they need to go after the star wars customizers as well i can link them at least 500 card art legal violations as outlined in there own "customizing guidelines!

Toiletmonkey1

One thing to remember is that unlike SW Hasbro owns G.I.Joe. I'm notr saying I agree or disagree with them but it seems that nowdays people passing off customsas the real deal is becoming pretty common. Most companies think of this along the lines of "knock off's".

So, do you wear a tinfoil hat or what? Do you regularly warn your neighbors about the coming new world order and insist satellites can steal your thoughts?

Not only is Hasbro commending the customizing community for their work, they're acknowledging them as an important part of the G.I. Joe community itself. The only thing that's changed is the crackdown on eBay customizers making "authentic" looking card art along with the figures and turning them for a profit. The figures themselves are still within your artistic right you so valiantly defend. From what I've seen, this seems to be more of an issue with Star Wars figures than the G.I. Joe brand but either way, Hasbro's property is Hasbro's property, not your's. They have the right to protect their brands, images, and logos, even if that means telling some poor fan to take the five minutes in Photoshop necessary to change his website's logo. Yeah, I feel so sorry for the webmaster. Get over it.

This just seems like another outlet for you to raise your voice about your dissatisfaction with the figures Hasbro produces, which is to say, anything that isn't 1980's classic-style.

Yea, there's some very clear distinctions being made by Hasbro here:

One is they are stating they will protect their trademarks--which is their right.

They are asking that the same laws that protect the creations you and I could make also apply to them as well. That's fair.

Two is that they are acknowledging the end-use of their products and ENCOURAGING it amongst the fandom, BUT with respect to their trademarks.

There's NOTHING in these guidelines that says that a customizer cannot make a Snake-eyes figure--but they cannot call it "Snake-eyes" because that is a trademarked name. They can call it a "ninja-warrior" and it'd be perfectly legit.

That's all that Hasbro is asking here.

The other thing here is an opening for fans and customizers:

Hasbro's made a clear point of ASKING that anyone seeking to use their trademarks, such as names seeking PERMISSION IN WRITING.

Let's be honest here......a show of hands from anyone or any customizers..........how many people have ever written seeking permission?

I'd bet the answer is probably.......none.

Sure, people probably assume some fee would be asked,,,,,,,,but IF no-one has ever written seeking permission who can say who much or if any fee at all is asked?

The GIJOE Club, iirc, does not and never has paid ANY fees to Hasbro for use of the GIJOE trademarks, and its a SEPARATE entity from Hasbro--started by a private individual, NOT a Hasbro employee or at the behest of Hasbro.

It all began by someone asking.

I agree with others that this warning seems to be geared more towards customizers who basically try and sell Hasbro knock off products on the market. I think it's those people that push and push the system till it forces a company to have to come down on them that is really to blame. If your a customizer doing this stuff for the fun of it thats one thing, but if your doing it to try and make a profit thats another. Apprently this etailer

http://agesthreeandup.com/

got a COD this week from Hasbro for selling Transformer knock-offs and if you go on ebay you can find a ton of them. Look just like the real thing, packaging and all, and they go for some pretty heffty prices.

I can sort of see Hasbro's perspective here but I wonder what the real root of this issue is. I suspect that this all stems from some collectors themselves who are mad that there are people reproducing hard to find items from the 80s and selling them on ebay. If my suspicions are correct then I really don't see why Hasbro should care as it's not as if they are going to be making such items available themselves.

I can sort of see Hasbro's perspective here but I wonder what the real root of this issue is. I suspect that this all stems from some collectors themselves who are mad that there are people reproducing hard to find items from the 80s and selling them on ebay. If my suspicions are correct then I really don't see why Hasbro should care as it's not as if they are going to be making such items available themselves.

Though i'm not an expert and my example is way over simplified, The way I understand it, it has to do with Copywrite laws. If a company allows their copywrite to be abused, they can actually loose it. So for instance, if you went and made a reproduction of a classic RAH Snake-Eye figure, packaging and all. Name it G.I.Joe Snake-Eyes and then tried to sell it on the market and Hasbro who holds the copyright to those names didn't do anything to stop it, they could end up actually loosing the copyright on those names. So it's not really about them worrying that your spending money on something else other then what they make, its the whole copyright issue and protecting those names, which I think is a perfectly reasonable action.

Toiletmonkey1

I gotta agree, to a degree, with die fighting x.

I mean they aren't telling people NOT to customize, they are telling people not to customize/make their own and PASS IT OFF AS REAL.

If I make my own, say 25th Sludge Viper and maket he packagine identical to Hasbros, then sell it without indicating that it isn't real (people ARE gullible, hence needing stupid things like this) then that's fraud and can make the company look bad.

However, if I indicate the item IS a custom, I can sell as many as I want.

Basically speaking, their are reminding customizers to be careful.

Actually, they're saying you can't make any packaging for your customs that resembles any artwork, copyrighted names or logos, whether you're selling it or not.

"All Hasbro artwork, such as card art, cannot be reprinted without permission from Hasbro. These assets contain Hasbro-owned trademarks and logos, and cannot be sold or reproduced without Hasbro’s permission."

So, if you make a GI Joe custom, and then create a card for it that looks like the original card for the figure, you're breaking the law, even if you're not selling it.

I agree with others that this warning seems to be geared more towards customizers who basically try and sell Hasbro knock off products on the market. I think it's those people that push and push the system till it forces a company to have to come down on them that is really to blame. If your a customizer doing this stuff for the fun of it thats one thing, but if your doing it to try and make a profit thats another. Apprently this etailer

http://agesthreeandup.com/

got a COD this week from Hasbro for selling Transformer knock-offs and if you go on ebay you can find a ton of them. Look just like the real thing, packaging and all, and they go for some pretty heffty prices.

post-4639-1202598658_thumb.jpg

I need to work there...

sorry.. back on topic.. that's how I saw it, you can customize all you want, heck, they even say you can sell them, you just cant call them by their copyrighted name when doing so. There's a guy on ebay that sells some recarded stuff, I think those are the guys they're talking about, and companies like Goodtogocustoms.com, what they used to do, now they're branching off and sculpting their own stuff instead of casting hasbro product.. but guys like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-JOE-ORIGINAL-Grunt-...1QQcmdZViewItem

they're the one's I'm sure hasbro will send C&Ds out to and probably work with ebay to get them pulled.. not only is it misleading(if you don't read it, I know.. I know.. but still).. but some people could buy say a custom carded figure and be expecting a hasbro quality figure and get something that doesn't meet Hasbro's standards and then the customer's pissed cause he got a crappy figure that he thought was a hasbro product and will never buy hasbro GI Joes again.. that's one of the things hasbro's protecting also...

Another reason I can think of is stuff like this:

post-4639-1202599376_thumb.jpg

post-4639-1202599385_thumb.jpg

a guy on the spawn boards got those carded.. now it doesn't seem like a big deal, but what happens if that guys starts doing that on ebay? Hasbro see's that as a loss of profit, I know it sounds silly, but if people already buy those custom carded figs.. and down the line Hasbro could potentially lose out on some money there.. granted it probably wont be a lot.. but still, I'm sure any lost monies to them is a serious thing...

now.. who do I write to ask if I can sell my customs on ebay... maybe someone should ask that in the next Q&A???

I hope people double their piracy of hasbro and all their products and they go the hell out of business! and all their coke addict execs overdose! i could stand never having to hear the name hasbro linked to anything i love! just think of how nice that would be!

TM

lol, quick question TM, how would you feel if someone made some Fro Joe customs and sold them on ebay.. would it tick you off any?

LOL oddly I think that would be awsome.....i would probably buy one! but i really dont feel that i own fro-joe he belongs to the world. just like i feel hasbro doesnt own G.I. Joe and all those charactors. i grew up with them and have lived and breathed and paid mucho dollars for them over the last 1/4 century. they are as much a part of me as anything i know. ive paid for the right to make custom cards in my book!

This card art thing can only be a small annoyance to multi bazzillion dollar hasbro who has a monoply (almost) on the entire toy ailse! this i just another way for them to make us the collectors feel small

just like the whole "our dollars dont matter,the kid dollars drove the line" thing. see now they know it was the collecors all along. so they dont say that anymore...they do things like this to keep us from forgetting that they are our lord and master! and with a wave of their mighty hand they can send a swarm of lawyers down on us and make us pay! and dry up the shelves at our walmarts and targets if we get uppity!

everyone else can tiptoe around hasbro and say "i'll do whatever you want, just please dont take our 25th anniversary figures away!" I aint gonna!

I hope with all that i am ...Hasbro and all their brooks brothers suit wearing,coke snorting,fat ass tweleve sandwhich eating,side of their mouth talking,over paid executives come to a quick and final END!

I mean that in the nicest way however! ;)

TM

lol, quick question TM, how would you feel if someone made some Fro Joe customs and sold them on ebay.. would it tick you off any?

LOL oddly I think that would be awsome.....i would probably buy one! but i really dont feel that i own fro-joe he belongs to the world. just like i feel hasbro doesnt own G.I. Joe and all those charactors. i grew up with them and have lived and breathed and paid mucho dollars for them over the last 1/4 century. they are as much a part of me as anything i know. ive paid for the right to make custom cards in my book!

This card art thing can only be a small annoyance to multi bazzillion dollar hasbro who has a monoply (almost) on the entire toy ailse! this i just another way for them to make us the collectors feel small

just like the whole "our dollars dont matter,the kid dollars drove the line" thing. see now they know it was the collecors all along. so they dont say that anymore...they do things like this to keep us from forgetting that they are our lord and master! and with a wave of their mighty hand they can send a swarm of lawyers down on us and make us pay! and dry up the shelves at our walmarts and targets if we get uppity!

everyone else can tiptoe around hasbro and say "i'll do whatever you want, just please dont take our 25th anniversary figures away!" I aint gonna!

I hope with all that i am ...Hasbro and all their brooks brothers suit wearing,coke snorting,fat ass tweleve sandwhich eating,side of their mouth talking,over paid executives come to a quick and final END!

I mean that in the nicest way however! ;)

TM

You act like buying their product is equal to owning stock, thereby making you part owner of the company. You need to get your head out of your ass.

Actually, you should go ahead a run your own site, use all the G.I. Joe logos you want, alter them in a way befitting of your webpage, and even go as far as selling your own custom card art. When Hasbro sends you the cease and desist, you go ahead and fight...for "the little man," stick to your guns. Just be sure to keep us updated, I'd love to see how that works out for you. Until then, your whining and soapbox means jack.

I mean that in the nicest way <3333