some JLU customs

Midgarn

Yeah, I've been on a JLU kick recently.

First up is a slight tweak to the latest Flash, whom I bought to have the lightning harness accessory.

JLU%20barry-allen.jpg

Thanks to folks here on ToyNewsI, I changed the belt and added eyes to make this Flash Barry Allen.

Next, what to do with an extra Darkseid? With some work, I turned him into his son, Kalibak. I kept a photo record of his progress this time, too.

Next to his Daddy, after initial dremeling, flesh tone test color, and leg surgery:

jlu%20kalibak%20wip.jpg

The first step was to cut down his legs. I went for the ankles, to try to recreate the reference's stubby legs, and took off a half-inch. After replacing the feet with glue and paper clip supports, I dremelled and sanded down the calves to taper correctly. Away went the skirt, and I cut away the pressed lips into more of a gash of an open mouth.

"I have hair! Hair! Long, glorious hair!":

jlu%20kalibak%20wip%202.jpg

The hair sculpt is in two parts, and I completed initial priming and painting of the torso first. With plastic wrap draped over his body like a poncho, I used epoxy plastic for the bulk of his hair, and overlaid it with green stuff to make the ears and beard. Kally's forehead I simply sanded to get rid of the crackly gouges. Here you can also see his two toes coming into shape, and a remnant of the skirt is back! I realized that the gap was too pronounced, and the hips noticeably small. So I replaced the part of the skirt that fit between torso and waist, with glue for it to stick to the bottom, in prep for the next step.

Starting to be painted, plus the build-out of the waist and gloves:

jlu%20kalibak%20wip%20stage%202.jpg

More green stuff here, which we've all seen before. I built out his gloves and the waist, and added a circle for the big part of his belt, and kept turning the figure's waist so the green stuff wouldn't stick to the upper torso.

Lightning Lad: Hey Brainy, M-E Lad sure has let himself go." Brainiac 5: "*sigh*"

jlu%20kalibak%20wip%20stage%203.jpg

Nothing spectacular here. The similarities to Tenzil Kem's original Legion uniform just struck me funny, and I had to take a pic before adding the Kirby squiggles on Kalibak's chest.

And the finished product, about to pound Supes into the next block.. will be in the first reply, as I used up my five in this post already. :-}

Pretty cool, nice job!