BIg Boa Question

Fiddlenine

I was talking to a buddy of mine that said Big Boa was actually supposed to be Rocky Balboa. The figure was considered to be the next of the real world crossover figures like Sgt. Slaughter and The Fridge, but negotions fell apart after the figure was made. Since hasbro already had it made they decided to change the name, is this true. I mean it sounds believeable with the "BOA" Rocky Bal"BOA" and the fact that they were both boxers and something about rocky being in the Joe comic but I can't find anything about it on the net. Does anyone know anything about this or can confirm this thanks.

I was under the impression (from what I remember) Rocky WAS going to be in the Joe-verse as a Joe and Big Boa was going to be his arch-nemesis on Cobra. Something happened with Rocky and it fell through, but they kept Big Boa.

That is correct. There was a Rambo cartoon series and action figure line out at the time and there was an issue of using his likeness on another military themed figure. A bio for him did make it into an issue of G.I. JOE: Order of battle however but was retracted in the next issue.

Yeah, because Rambo had a toyline with Remco, and Stallone allowed his likeness to be used for that line, Hasbro was not able to use his likeness or character name for their line. Big Boa, as others have stated already, was meant to be his arch-enemy.

However, I always thought it was odd that Rocky was going to have an arch-enemy within Cobra, why didn't Sgt. Slaughter or Fridge have one? I myself often thought the mold for Big Boa may have been intended to be used for Rocky, but was given a new head sculpt.

i allways considerd serpentor as the sgt.'s nemisis they had a couple battles and his dna was used for serpentor

I thought his DNA never made it in to Serpy?

His DNA was in Serpentor v1! The one we saw in the show most of the time was v2. :-P

-Kevin

Well, that is a little confusing an explination. It comes out sounding like there were 2 Serpentors throughout the show.

Slaughter's DNA was used in the creation of the first attempt to create Serpentor, but was sabatoged by Cobra Commander. The result was a mindless monster that attacked Cobra's personel and had to be destroyed. About that time, Sgt Slaughter escaped, and took the container holding his DNA, so it was not used in the creation of the actual Serpentor.

Incidently, in the comics, Serpentor had DNA from Storm Shadow and Ripcord.

i allways considerd serpentor as the sgt.'s nemisis they had a couple battles and his dna was used for serpentor

Well, other than the DNA thing, which others have corrected, they did seem to have a big beef going on in Arise, Serpentor, Arise. I would consider Serps to be his nemesis, sort of.

I thought too that Hasbro got the Fridge almost at the last minute to replace Rocky. That would explain why he never had a nemesis. Since Rocky was never made I had the Fridge and Big Boa duke it out most of the time.

Here is a question to spin out of this topic and the topic about the animated movie. If things had worked out with Rocky would he have appeared in the movie? I don't know if this has ever been brought up or answered. Or if anyone really knows.

I was under the impression (from what I remember) Rocky WAS going to be in the Joe-verse as a Joe and Big Boa was going to be his arch-nemesis on Cobra. Something happened with Rocky and it fell through, but they kept Big Boa.

That is correct. There was a Rambo cartoon series and action figure line out at the time and there was an issue of using his likeness on another military themed figure. A bio for him did make it into an issue of G.I. JOE: Order of battle however but was retracted in the next issue.

if you go to yojoe.com and look through the unproduced toys the have an almost complete rocky figure with a life like head sculpt. it looks really cool too bad Sly decided to go with Rambo, he could have been a kick ass joe!!

I agree completely. To me, Rocky/G.I. Joe/Rambo/the 1980s just all go hand-in-hand for me, so this figure would have been really cool IMO. I've really been reminiscing alot lately; I've gotten back into the anniversary Joes hot and heavy, and I recently saw the latest Rambo movie. So I've in turn went back and started watching the first three. Now I know Hasbro couldn't secure the license for Rambo obviously (and unfortunately), so they had to try Rocky, which to me is almost as good if they couldn't get Rambo. It's just so ironic that on the way home from the movies my brother and I were talking about Rambo, and I was telling him how I always tended to think about G.I. Joe whenever I watched Rambo movies, and he agreed seeing how both were so popular throughout the 80s, and I was collecting Joes back when Rambo was so popular. I would have settled for Rocky and it would have been very cool, but I would have absolutely LOVED to see Rambo as a Joe...

I agree completely. To me, Rocky/G.I. Joe/Rambo/the 1980s just all go hand-in-hand for me, so this figure would have been really cool IMO. I've really been reminiscing alot lately; I've gotten back into the anniversary Joes hot and heavy, and I recently saw the latest Rambo movie. So I've in turn went back and started watching the first three. Now I know Hasbro couldn't secure the license for Rambo obviously (and unfortunately), so they had to try Rocky, which to me is almost as good if they couldn't get Rambo. It's just so ironic that on the way home from the movies my brother and I were talking about Rambo, and I was telling him how I always tended to think about G.I. Joe whenever I watched Rambo movies, and he agreed seeing how both were so popular throughout the 80s, and I was collecting Joes back when Rambo was so popular. I would have settled for Rocky and it would have been very cool, but I would have absolutely LOVED to see Rambo as a Joe...

You know if Hasbro has released that Rocky figure 9 out of 10 kids would of used him as Rambo anyway.