Transformers Marvel Legends

madman1366

Transformers being a hot property right now could play to an advantage. The Marvel Legends line is just as it sounds, Legendary characters from Marvel's history. Well, Transformers ARE part of Marvels history. Hasbro controls the toys for both properties and they can do what they want with them so long as Marvel approves. Whoever is doing the comics now is irrelevant because they only control the comics of today not the figures or likenesses of the past.

by your logic, Star Wars is part of the Marvel Universe because Marvel published the comics. fact is, Transformers, G.I. Joe and Star Wars are not part of the Marvel Universe, which is what the Marvel Legends series is, hence why, even when Marvel was publishing the comics the characters never were included in the Marvel Universe series. Transformers, G.I. Joe and Star Wars were nothing more than licensed properties that Marvel only published comics for, but never owned the characters. Marvel Universe = Marvel characters. Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Star Wars are not Marvel characters, thus not part of the Marvel Universe, and not part of the Marvel Legends.

they can't be both Marvel characters and not Marvel characters, and since Transformers are no longer published by Marvel they aren't. your argument is simply flawed and lacks and real analysis of the dynamics of licensed properties and what a Marvel character is.

I don't see a very good comparison between Transformers and Star Wars.

For one, Marvel had a much bigger part in the actual character creation and development for Transformers. They did a lot more than for something like Star Wars who had it's characters already developed and was already an established property before Marvel. All Marvel pretty much had to go on with TF's was a series of toys.

Now I don't know which was made first, the comics or cartoons though. It doesn't matter that much really considering that are lots of characters that were developed through the comics only.

Any way you look at it, Marvel has a much larger role in helping make TF's what they are today as opposed to Star Wars. Nobody thinks Marvel comics when you say Star Wars but not so with Transformers and g1...plenty of people tie Transformers history to the g1 comics every bit as much as the cartoon.

So while Marvel might not have "OWNED" the characters, they DID create a lot of the actual characters themselves (just not the likeness of said characters) and in my book that's all they need. There is no rule saying that Marvel Legends has to only be characters they own and not characters they created or helped create anyway. If it sounds like a good idea to Marvel and Hasbro then there's nothing to stop them.

And like I said before, having a new crossover comic with Marvel and TF's is even another reason why they may decide or have decided to make a ML series.

Think about the timing as well. It's right around time for the 25th anniversary of the Transformers and what better way to commemorate the event than with a series that pays homage to their comic beginnings?

For one, Marvel had a much bigger part in the actual character creation and development for Transformers. They did a lot more than for something like Star Wars who had it's characters already developed and was already an established property before Marvel. All Marvel pretty much had to go on with TF's was a series of toys.

Any way you look at it, Marvel has a much larger role in helping make TF's what they are today as opposed to Star Wars. Nobody thinks Marvel comics when you say Star Wars but not so with Transformers and g1...plenty of people tie Transformers history to the g1 comics every bit as much as the cartoon.

And Marvel was contracted to do that. Basically, Hasbro paid Marvel to create content for Hasbro's use. Hasbro owns that content, PERIOD. Just like freelance artists get paid to do artwork for Hasbro, Hasbro paid for and owns the content, fiction is no different.

And nobody thinks "Marvel" when Transformers is mentioned. Prior to the movie, most mainstream sources (and most fan groups to be honest) would cite the cartoon before the comic, which still holds true today.

There is no rule saying that Marvel Legends has to only be characters they own and not characters they created or helped create anyway.

Oh, trademarks and license issues probably say "yes, they do". And I doubt Marvel would be terribly thrilled about Hasbro using MARVEL'S toyline to promote a HASBRO property. Furthermore, hasbro paid good money to exploite Marvel's catalog of characters.

Think about the timing as well. It's right around time for the 25th anniversary of the Transformers and what better way to commemorate the event than with a series that pays homage to their comic beginnings?

If hasbro wanted to do that, it would be VASTLY more lucrate to simply do a Transformers Legends line on their own, seperate from any association to Marvel. Again, one of the core issues is that you are talking about a single assortment of figures, well, nearly all the figures in that assortment would either be new molds or repaints of new molds in the same assortment.

Transformers carry enough weight to promote the line themselves, and the inclusion to Marvel Legends will only cause a (maybe) single wave increase in sales, but won't effect the Marvel line in the long run. It would simply be bad business.

Are these what you were looking for, madman?

tfhulk.jpg

tfironman.jpg

They look a lot better than I thought they would; I'm tempted to pick them up.

EDIT: oops, guess you saw this stuff already..

Who cares if Marvel published TF comics in past. Hasbro owns TFs. They can do whatever kind of toys they want using the characters. Maybe it's just me, but the Marvel Legends figures are called just that because they are characters from the Marvel universe. Not because the line features characters from books that are published by Marvel Comics Inc.

If they came out with 6 inch articulated, non-transforming, and detailed TFs, they certainly wouldn't call them "Marvel Legends Tfs". That makes no sense. Hasbro just has to call the toyline "Transformers Legends" (or TF: Actionmasters since I think there is already a line called TF legends). It's pretty simple and wouldn't cause any confusion.

That being said, if they did come out with a TF legends toyline with good sculpts and paint apps, I'd be all over them. Bring on TF: Actionmasters I say!

I'm liking that Hulk transformer he reminds me of War Within Grimlock

With this newly formed crossover line i'm hoping the will finally make the GI Joe Transformers

If history is anything to go by, GIJoe TFs would look nothing like the ones from the comics I'm afraid. Instead of having a kick ass Prime that turns into a Hiss Tank, we'd probably get something stupid like a Dominator that turns into Destro. Not to mention it would be out of scale (too small for 3 3/4 figs) I'm sure.

Read the disclaimer from Hasbro on the last page. I'd say Marvel Legends style Transformers would bbe neat, but I highly doubt they'd actually market them as such. More Robot Replicas maybe, but unless Marvel were to be doing Transformer comics again, I doubt they'll do stand alone figures as "Marvel Legends". They could, and they could base them on the old comics, but I just don't see that happening. There's the next movie coming, the current cartoon and figures for that, it'll have to be late in the year if these were true.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the idea.

Transformers being a hot property right now could play to an advantage. The Marvel Legends line is just as it sounds, Legendary characters from Marvel's history. Well, Transformers ARE part of Marvels history. Hasbro controls the toys for both properties and they can do what they want with them so long as Marvel approves. Whoever is doing the comics now is irrelevant because they only control the comics of today not the figures or likenesses of the past.

Except it creates brand confusion and conflicts with IDW. While Transformers is a part of Marvel history, Marvel has had nothing to do with the brand in over a decade. And more importantly, it creates the false impression among consumers that Marvel either owns or publishes Transformers when they do not. And you aren't correct, they DO control the content of the past.

Marvel can't publish a Transformers comic despite publishing them for many years a decade ago (incidentally, IDW now republishes old Marvel stories). Hasbro bought out the GI Joe comic library from Marvel and when those were reprinted in comic packs, all mention of Marvel was removed from them. Because Marvel doesn't own the content anymore.

With Transformers being as big as it is, there is no real reason for a single wave of Marvel Legends be geared around another brand. Hasbro could make a LOT more money with simply marketing a line described on its own. Retailers aren't going to increase marvel Legends buys just to get more of one wave, which makes putting Transformers in Marvel Legends pointless (aside from fan "cool" factor)

And the biggest reason you won't see it is this: Hasbro has spent a LOT of time and money cultivating brand characters for Transformers. They are not going to waste the icons of their biggest brand at the moment on another brand's toyline. It doesn't make financial sense to do it, not counting the numerous issues relating to the writes of the comics and characters (Hasbro doesn't "own" the Marvel toylines, they are LICENSED to make it. If Marvel wanted to, they could pull the license and give it to another company if they wanted)

Plus Organic Hobby's Revoltech line keeps announcing new figures from G1.