I Give Up !!!

jinx723

Today is the offical last day for me.

As of this day I will no longer go hunting for 25th Anniversary Joes. I will no longer have an action figure control my life. This past week I have gone hunting four times, not including today. I live in the San Fernando Valley, in SoCal and my trips consist of five Wal-Marts, thirteen Targets, and six TRUs. During the holidays I was on a roll finding Wave 3 & Wave 4 and Comic Packs 1 & 2. The last three weeks I've been coming home empty handed and I am gettting tired of it, mentally and physically. I love these figures but for a 35 year old to go around hunting for "dolls" is not worth it for me anymore. Wave 5 has been my dream wave since I saw the list on a Wal-Mart thread late last summer, and with the upcoming waves getting better... Today I actually found myself useing profanity out loud in the aisles of stores when I found empty pegs or figures I already have had for months. One of my New Years Resolutions was to start attending church again (must be the getting old thing), I have yet to attend because I wake up and decided to check out Wal-Marts on a Sunday my day off, just because they open at 7:00 am and I want to try and bet any scalpers. Like I said this weeks four trips, have cost me $70.00 in gas. Adding unnecessary mileage to my car. We've been have rain storms all week, and for some reason native Los Angelenos can't drive for $#!+ when it rains (accidents everywhere). To top it off when I left one of the Targets today I found that someone had hit the right rear quarter panel on my 07 Honda Civic Si. Hit and run F***!!! I have been late to work twice for checking Wal-Marts in the morning that are out of my way to work. My supervisior has already talked to me about it, since I'm always the first one at the store because I live walking distance from work. I even lost my wallet with all my credit cards, checks, and driver's license. Luckily some good soul turned it in at the Target that I went back to, after returning five figures that I bought out of impulse. I am planning on buying a house this summer and I should be focusing on that, then my beloved Joes I can't even get. Later on I will be going through all my stuff and pull what I don't need so I can return them. I never collected mint on card Joes before and with all the variants going around with this line...I'm just gonna return them. I have no receipts since I've been buying from last summer, but I'm sure Target can give it back to me in a gift card, that I can use for the exclusives and other necessities. I'm still going to buy the 25th Joes, I love my Joes, but I'm not gonna stress over them. If I find something I want when I stop in a store I'll buy it. But as of today I will no longer hunt for 25th figures, either I get'em down the line or never get'em. I refuse to pay outragoues E-Bay prices, and I hate on-line shopping when I can't see what I'm buying. So I wish you all the best and congrates on your future finds while I curse you all while reading your threads on "I found... "

JINX723, 'retired hunter' @rico@

a lot of stores wont be getting very much stock till about mid-feb they mostly all have inventory and things like that to deal with the first month month and a hlaf of the new year.

if ur plannign on getting rid of some lmk what you have and maybe we can work out a trade or soemthing.

i will be 35 years old Feb.11 and i could care less what people think.all my friend even the one's that don't collect look for GI JOE figs for me.as far as the hunting everyone gets that feeling from time to time,but it's all worth it when you hit the motherload and all the memory's of your youth come back.

not only is it a great hobby,but now my son also collects joe's.thanks to the dvd's that i own and KINGKHAN sending me the comics on dvd-r.

GOD BLESS,

JC #US1#

Wow. Grow up?

I mean, self-control is your issue, not Toy hunting...

Why are you going to Wal-Mart before work, when you live within walking distance?

And as far as giving up the hunt, I check once a week now, at most. I'd much rather pay the five or so dollars more to buy online, and the 10 in shipping, so that I don't have to spend over 20 on gas.

-Kevin

See, here's one thing about guys who collect only one toy line (assuming one only does)..... if you only collect one toyline it easily gets annoying when you don't find the one wave you're looking for........ unlike some people that may collect a few different toys, there are several thing they're looking for , and chances are that 3 out of every 4 hunts you'll find something.......

I mean, self-control is your issue, not Toy hunting...

Why are you going to Wal-Mart before work, when you live within walking distance?

Yeah, I thought the same thing. If you are getting in trouble for going in to work late because you stopped to check if your store had Joes then thats a problem.

Whenever I am out and about I check. I don't make special trips. So I don't lose out on gas money like that.

I think you would be much better served shopping online for your figs.

As of this day I will no longer go hunting for 25th Anniversary Joes. I will no longer have an action figure control my life. This past week I have gone hunting four times, not including today. I live in the San Fernando Valley, in SoCal and my trips consist of five Wal-Marts, thirteen Targets, and six TRUs. During the holidays I was on a roll finding Wave 3 & Wave 4 and Comic Packs 1 & 2. The last three weeks I've been coming home empty handed and I am gettting tired of it, mentally and physically. I love these figures but for a 35 year old to go around hunting for "dolls" is not worth it for me anymore. Wave 5 has been my dream wave since I saw the list on a Wal-Mart thread late last summer, and with the upcoming waves getting better... Today I actually found myself useing profanity out loud in the aisles of stores when I found empty pegs or figures I already have had for months. One of my New Years Resolutions was to start attending church again (must be the getting old thing), I have yet to attend because I wake up and decided to check out Wal-Marts on a Sunday my day off, just because they open at 7:00 am and I want to try and bet any scalpers. Like I said this weeks four trips, have cost me $70.00 in gas. Adding unnecessary mileage to my car. We've been have rain storms all week, and for some reason native Los Angelenos can't drive for $#!+ when it rains (accidents everywhere). To top it off when I left one of the Targets today I found that someone had hit the right rear quarter panel on my 07 Honda Civic Si. Hit and run F***!!! I have been late to work twice for checking Wal-Marts in the morning that are out of my way to work. My supervisior has already talked to me about it, since I'm always the first one at the store because I live walking distance from work. I even lost my wallet with all my credit cards, checks, and driver's license. Luckily some good soul turned it in at the Target that I went back to, after returning five figures that I bought out of impulse. I am planning on buying a house this summer and I should be focusing on that, then my beloved Joes I can't even get. Later on I will be going through all my stuff and pull what I don't need so I can return them. I never collected mint on card Joes before and with all the variants going around with this line...I'm just gonna return them. I have no receipts since I've been buying from last summer, but I'm sure Target can give it back to me in a gift card, that I can use for the exclusives and other necessities. I'm still going to buy the 25th Joes, I love my Joes, but I'm not gonna stress over them. If I find something I want when I stop in a store I'll buy it. But as of today I will no longer hunt for 25th figures, either I get'em down the line or never get'em. I refuse to pay outragoues E-Bay prices, and I hate on-line shopping when I can't see what I'm buying. So I wish you all the best and congrates on your future finds while I curse you all while reading your threads on "I found... "

I do not blame you. So far I have been very lucky with the GI Joes, but this year has been one disappointment after another. I have been hunting for the comic packs since the beginning of the month and kept coming up with nothing. I went in one morning and found all of wave one and just the Destro and Breaker pack of wave two. I just went into Walmart today and found the sad remains of Wave 5 and all of wave 4 sitting on the pegs. I was not happy and yes I was using foul words to express my frustrations. I do not blame you for wanting to stop. Do what you think is best for you. I know it becomes an addiction, not just the hunting, but the buying. You may walk in and find figures that you already have, but because you do not find the one that you were looking for, you feel you need to buy what you find. It is not worth the stress and frustrations. Take care of yourself Jinx723.

Y'know...........

<sigh>

If there's only one set of figures on the pegs and you choose to buy them as they are, then you can't "see them" any better than if you bought them on-line. What you have in hand at the store is what you are getting--the same as on-line.

This is the argument against shopping on-line that I just don't get........

Odd are, people will by the same quality product anyway, accepting it with any "flaws" it might have.......plus they can always return it to the retailer if its got really major flaws.

So here we have yet another guy saying he's going to pack it in because he cannot find the stuff on a foot-hunt and is getting no joy.

Meanwhile, other (savvy) collectors have dropped the foot-hunt routine and are buying on-line, and they are alot happier, rested, serene and having a LOT more fun.

I'm not meaning this as an insult, but given the collecting/scalper climate in a big urban centre, its a LOT SMARTER to by-pass the rat-race and avoid the brick & mortars all together.

What people who do not shop online have is excuses.

They cannot see the stuff firsthand, they cannot chose the best ones, they don't wanna pay shiping etc etc etc..........

Congratulations, they've just rationalized their way out of collecting.

Well........here we have a guy that doesn't have the stuff in hand, cannot pick out anything because he cannot find jack, and he's forked over $70 for nothing--just for the hunt.

Talk about collecting harder, not smarter.

Has the complaining poster even tried ordering on-line or it just the "idea" of it that he hates??

Has he asked other collectors to help him in his hunt?

Has he asked his local stores to help?

Y'know.........this angst people have is just a joke. Collecting was never mean to be this dramatic for anyone, and even though the collecting climate has changed ALOT.....there's still no need for any kind of frustration.

I don't pay crazy ebay prices, I don't buy from scalpers or hunt on foot, I DO shop on-line, I DO ask friends/fellow collectors to help me find stuff ( and they do).

I have no trouble finding what I want, I'm patient, and I'm still having a blast after collecting toys for over 22 years now.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. If you LIKE the drama, like the frustration and the "hunt", then by all means continue what you are doing.

Or if you do not like it, change your approach until you get the results you want..........( its considered the guaranteed method of success in ANY endeavour).....or quit ( which is considered to be the guaranteed means of FAILING at any endeavour). Doing the same thing over and over and expecting the results to be different is bone-headed stupid.

This isn't hard, its common sense and everyone is entitled to get joy of out life.

I feel your pain from time to time Rico. I've ordered online several times now for the 25th stuff, just so I don't have to hunt. I struggle with the hobby and wonder sometimes if it's worth it. For me, I've realized it's my escape from the stress of work (and other things) and I just can't let it run my life. My advice for you, would be to focus on getting that house and find some balance in your hobby. Sounds like you've had some bad luck recently, I recommend trying church. It works for me and if you need to talk about it or have questions, feel free to PM me.

I've never had any problem finding the stuff I want.

no need to stress over it, patience is the key.

I waited weeks to find Firefly, but y'know what?, I finally did.

I waited weeks to find IG Destro, but y'know what?, I finally did.

patience is a virtue.

Too true, I too wasn't able to find these and for weeks people were posting about getting them, a local collector I know has close to 20 Crimson Guards, lol... but I finally got them, just don't stress out too much about it.. and like some said, don't make special trips, just stop when you're out.. these "special trips" are the ones that start eating into the cost... if you're already out shopping, and just happen to make a couple extra stops, then that's different, but going out just to get figures and hitting all the Targets/walmarts/TRUs in a 50 mile radius.. well, that's a little nuts..

This is why I order online. I get home from work and sometimes find new figures waiting for me. I gave up on hunting.

I'm doing this more and more, I think of the shipping as more of a convenience fee.. just like if I want to buy that nice refrigerated drink at the registers rather than buy a whole gallon for the same price in the aisle... it's all about convenience.. like yesterday when I got home there was a small tidy package waiting for me on the steps filled with wave 5 goodies ;)

I only go hunting when it's convenient. Extra time on lunch breaks from work, killing time while I'm out doing other things, y'know.

So far, I have found every single one of the 25th Joes on a peg in one place or another. I don't go out at 7am either. Maybe it's just luck, but really, if you have patience, you will be rewarded.

Just because Johnny Forumposter says that the newest wave is out, doesn't mean you have to stop what you're doing at 4am and drive to Walmart. It's true. If you think about it, our hobby can be insane. Don't let it get the best of you, and exercise some self-control. There is more to life, and it's a waste of time to be a slave to your obsessions.

Moral: Don't forget to enjoy yourselves, guys. It's what this hobby is for.

Wow, you forgot a quintensential buying tactic.

Getting help here. A lot of people here are willing to buy for others and ship (maybe even forgo shipping cost in some instances). Ever think of that?

As others said, PATIENCE is a virtue. So you cna't find them at this time. Big deal. Wait awhile. Buy online.

I actually prefer brick & mortar to online, when I can. I get nitpicky about the paint apps, for example, so I look being able to look for "just the right one". The first time I found Buzzer, the toy looked like crap (the toy in the package, not in general). So I passed. Now I kind find several of them.

The only thing you might want to worry about are store exclusives. I'm pissed I missed my chance at MP Starscream.

Jinx I feel you bro...I am here in Santa Monica, and hit alot of the stores you are at too...I even go to Simi Valley (My parents are out there) and have the going before work thing, especially now with Wave 5.....but this last week I threw in the towl with SPECIAL MISSIONS to the Targets and TRU and Walmart all the way in CRENSHAW, and resoreted to ebay....but if you really look and buy from the same buyer, you save on Shipping....you only end up paying a few more bucks per fig, and save on gas, being late, and STRESSING over Joes.....now....may Wave 2 Comic Packs are coming in the mail, and I will be caught up and I am not hunting like crazy anymore....Also, try and pre order, that also helps as that garauntees your items and they are about the same price you would pay as you would orderd on tru.com or somthing....... Keep your head up and go only when you can...look on ebay there are always good deals..but you have to DIG and always search....

Jinx, I feel your pain man. Preacher can vouch for me, he's from around these parts; we have four or five Wal-Marts...eight to be exact, if you count Sevierville, Halls, and Middlesboro. And we have two regular Targets, two Super Targets, two K-Marts, one KB, three KB Outlets, and two Toys-R-Us stores. And I've personally only found a handful of Anniversary figures after hitting ALL of these on several different occaisions. It can be very frustrating, I know. Now at one time I had Waves 1, 2 and 3; I pre-ordered Wave 1 along with the five-packs from bbts.com, and I lucked-up and found all of Wave 3; I had to get Wave 2 online. But like an idiot I sold most of them. (I kept my loose five packs figures, along with a loose Version 2 Snake-Eyes and a Version 2 Storm Shadow...) And most were on mint-perfect cards like I prefer. *sigh* (I did however keep my favorite one, my MOMC Version 2 Snake-Eyes thankfully...) I mistakenly thought if I ever wanted to get them again, they'd eventually start showing up in droves after Christmas. Wrong. (lol) But I've never gotten really angry over it. I can understand wanting them badly and being kinda upset over Hasbro, Wal-Mart, and/or scalpers over shortages, but hey...what can ya do? It may be alot easier in other parts of the country to find them, but like I said around here they're just not to be found for whatever reason. I have noticed that they seem to show up more at Target, but even when I've found them there they're on bad card-backs, so I pass. But I'll reiterate what others have said in that I've turned to online shopping. I can get my figures straight from a factory case, and I'm not paying much more than I would have in terms of gas money. Besides it's worth it to me to know for sure I'm getting them instead of searching all over creation over and over only to come up empty-handed. The extra few dollars are worth the convenience and my peace of mind. Now I know that even right out of factory cases these figures can come on bad card-backs (I'm a MOMC collector first, loose figure collector second...), but I'd rather take my chances buying factory cases than to settle for ones in stores that have been handled a million times, kicked around the aisles and/or crushed and bent.

I decided to get back on track and order some cases from bbts.com. I've pre-ordered Wave 4 that's on back-order, and I've ordered Waves 5, 6, and 7. So I guess I can consider myself a Joe collector again. I had been tempted to collect them again when I saw pics of Waves 5 and 6. Then I found out Version 3 Snake-Eyes and Spirit were coming in Wave 7, saw the pics, and decided I just had to have them. And that in turn made me want to back up and get the rest. And so here I am again.

Patience is a good start. Wave 4 was all I missing, found everything else at retail. First WM was the place to get everything, but lately it's been Target. TRU even finally got shipments where I was able to get extra's and a fellow board member got me a complete set of wave 4 after which I saw them at Target. So I have all the single cards released so far and all the comic packs, so I wouldn't give up so soon. And didn't cost me much in gas as I have 7 WM's, 4 Targets, 3 K-Marts(never bought any Joes there and stopped looking months ago), and a TRU all withing a 15 mile radius.

I KNOW WHAT U MEAN IN A WHOLE! THE PROBLEM IS MORE WIT HASBRO THEN ANYONE ELSE! I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS TOO. I SPEND AT LEAST $60+ IN A WEEK "HUNTIN" FOR TOYS (MOSTLY JOES). I GOT ONE TRICK FOR U SHHHH don't tell anyone I told u this....... but go to ur local target but mainly walmart and check the pallets that are put on the floors wit new stock at night just before closin. Watch out though most employees will stop u but u can find the stuff u want before it hits the floor! shhhhh don't say I told u and don't repete this to anyone else on this board! LMAO!