BAFs: ML VS DCUC

pastwatch2001

I am harsher than most critiques.... because we had a great line... something that wasn't broke and didn't need to be changed. And Hasbro comes along and sticks their ignorant thumbs all over it and messes it up. Yes, Hasbro has better quality control than Toybiz did.... but they aren't making very detailed or difficult figures.. so who cares.

we wanted Hasbro to continue Toybiz's line and add their own trademark quality into th mix.. no need for cheesy faces, bad or no paint detail, ##$%$#ed articulation styles, bad designs.. etc.

for a perfect Hasbro figure, you will have to go back to the 2006 San Diego Comic Con. Check out Thor, Quicksilver, She Hulk, Yellowjacket, Xorn, and Blob. But by the time these figures made it to the production stage, they had been altered big time. Different head sculpts,

you can see the whole album of Hasbro's GOOD wave 2 figures here

and thats the last time you ever saw a good Hasbro figure. Now they suck even at the prototype stage.

No, really. What is a good figure to you? You keep skipping around the question. What do you consider is 'good' that is product in hand? GI Joe, Marvel Legends, Star Wars, DC, or whatever?

i don't know what you mean.. you want me to give you a list of good figures??? ok.

the good Marvel Legends:

ML1 Cap

ML1 Ironman

ML2 Thing

ML2 Namor

ML2 Doom

ML3 Ghost Rider

ML3 Magneto

ML5 Colossus

ML5 Nick Fury

ML5 Silver Surfer

ML5 Mr Fantastic

ML5 Sabertooth

ML6 Phoenix

ML6 Deadpool

ML6 Ml6 Juggernaut

Ml6 Wolverine

ML7 Vision

ML7 Ghost Rider

ML7 Hawkeye

ML7 Apacolypse

ML7 Ironman

ML8 Cap

ML8 Ironman

Ml8 Doc Ock

ML8 Storm

ML8 ManThing

ML9 DrStrange

ML9 Deathlok

ML9 NightCrawler

ML9 War Machine

ML9 Bullseye

ML10 Omega Red

ML10 Black Panther

ML10 Sinister

ML11 Thorbuster Ironman

ML11 Logan

ML11 Vengeance

ML11 Taskmaster

ML12 Wolverine

ML12 Sasquatch

ML12 Bishop

ML12 Ironfist

ML12 Maestro

WM Kitty Pryde

WM Captain Britain

WM Aintman

WM Thor

WM Havok

WM Warbird

WM Sentry

ML13 Pyro

ML13 Abomination

ML13 Green Goblin

ML13 Loki (even though I hate the costume choice)

ML14 Psylocke

ML14 FA Ironman

ML14 Baron Zemo (even though I hate the costume)

ML14 Falcon (if you can find one with good paint)

ML15 Thorbuster Ironman

ML15 Moon Knight

ML15 Beta Ray Bill

ML15 Spiderwoman

ML15 Genis

ML15 Destroyer

Face Off Cap

Face Off Red Skull

Face Off Baron Strucker

Fave Off Hulk

Face Off Leader

Face Off Daredevil

Face Off Kingpin

Face Off Sabertooth

Face Off Wolverine

Face Off Punisher

Face Off Jigsaw

Fearsome Foes Rhino

Fearsome Foes Vulture

Galactus

Sentinel

Apocalypse

Giantman

Modok

Mojo

Onslaught (even though I hate the version they chose)

most of the HOM boxset

most of the Young Avengers boxset

SMC Superposeable Spiderman

SMC Sandman

SMC Scorpion

SMC Hob Goblin (newer one)

SMC Venom

Mecha Hulk

Gamma Punch Hulk

Smart Hulk

Absorbingman

A bunch of Xmen Classics and Xmen 3 "movie" figures

FFmovie Invisible Woman

FF Movie HUman Torch (with the sound base thingy)

FF Classics Superskrull

FF Classics Kang

FF Classics Dragonman

and probably some other Toybiz Legends I am forgetting

LCBH Savage Dragon

LCBH Judge Dredd

LCBH Ripclaw

LCBH SuperPatriot

PITT

LCBH Darkness

LCBH Judge Death

LCBH Star

Monkeyman

LCB Conan

LCBH Wraarl

Hasbro IronSpiderman

HML3 Cyclops

Hasbro Doom

is that what you wanted?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, i actually went and counted out how many of the hasbro figures so far use the ball joints for the elbows, knees or both, and most of them use double joints and what not, so basically your complaints were pretty dumbfounded.

dude, i actually went and counted out how many of the hasbro figures so far use the ball joints for the elbows, knees or both, and most of them use double joints and what not, so basically your complaints were pretty dumbfounded.

uh what?? i said they are changing the articulation, aren't they??? they are using their new joints more and more. The newer figures are adopting the new joints more than the standard double joints. Hasbro is changing things up to their own style.. The first 2 waves had a lot of double joints because they were already in the works from Toybiz.

Hasbro has only done 12 NEW figures that have the double elbows. They have used old Toybiz bodies, but you gonna count those for Hasbro? Most of their original figures have that new funky joint.

I can't remember all of series 4.. but I know Blackbolt has the funky joints... a lot of the Hulk series has them.

All the 25th Anniversay GiJoes have them.

I also said that they are using poor paint apps... is that complaint dumbfounded??

i must say i'm a marvel fan all the way, but i do love big monkeys. and i like harley and (i may be alone here) electro-superman. so i may pick the 2nd series up for gorilla grodd. but, i am less than impressed with metamorpho. i don't build BAFs to get regular size figures, but rather so i can get bigger/differently shaped (mojo, modok, brood queen) figures. i think metamorpho would fit as a regular figure - save the BAFs for antimonitor, mogo (j/k), darkseid, etc. he's about as popular as black manta or red tornado, easily. not a big fan of solomon grundy, plus i do believe he's a bit large. i know he's a big guy, but i didn't think that big.

im avoiding the whole hasbro/toy biz thing because that's not what this thread is about but in comparison between ml and dcuc i am just happy that we are getting marvel and dc figures in a consistent scale with good looks and decent articulation.

i am just praying for the day dcuc announces zatanna

then i will have a fan-gasm

favorite dc character hands down

i don't care if its 80's snake-style or classic fishnets style, doesn't matter, i just want.

They are gonna milk the old joints for whatever figures they can rehash, like they did for Cable, Cannonball (Ghost Rider), Domino (Rogue), etc., while they slowly phase in the new figures with the GI Joes joints (kneecap-less) for any new characters during the transition. It's sad but it is a reality that is slowly setting in. They're just taking their time to keep from generating a huge uproar. Check out Hydra goons, Black Knight, Namor, Sue Storm, prototypes of Black Bolt, Valkyrie, Skaar, Red King, etc and the Unleashed series that are out. They just think the previous joints are not cost effective in their manufacturing process when they could use GI Joe type joints and use the same machinery for the both lines.

I am harsher than most critiques.... because we had a great line... something that wasn't broke and didn't need to be changed. And Hasbro comes along and sticks their ignorant thumbs all over it and messes it up. Yes, Hasbro has better quality control than Toybiz did.... but they aren't making very detailed or difficult figures.. so who cares.

we wanted Hasbro to continue Toybiz's line and add their own trademark quality into th mix.. no need for cheesy faces, bad or no paint detail, ##$%$#ed articulation styles, bad designs.. etc.

for a perfect Hasbro figure, you will have to go back to the 2006 San Diego Comic Con. Check out Thor, Quicksilver, She Hulk, Yellowjacket, Xorn, and Blob. But by the time these figures made it to the production stage, they had been altered big time. Different head sculpts,

you can see the whole album of Hasbro's GOOD wave 2 figures here

and thats the last time you ever saw a good Hasbro figure. Now they suck even at the prototype stage.

No, really. What is a good figure to you? You keep skipping around the question. What do you consider is 'good' that is product in hand? GI Joe, Marvel Legends, Star Wars, DC, or whatever?

i don't know what you mean.. you want me to give you a list of good figures??? ok.

the good Marvel Legends:

ML1 Cap

ML1 Ironman

ML2 Thing

ML2 Namor

ML2 Doom

ML3 Ghost Rider

ML3 Magneto

ML5 Colossus

ML5 Nick Fury

ML5 Silver Surfer

ML5 Mr Fantastic

ML5 Sabertooth

ML6 Phoenix

ML6 Deadpool

ML6 Ml6 Juggernaut

Ml6 Wolverine

ML7 Vision

ML7 Ghost Rider

ML7 Hawkeye

ML7 Apacolypse

ML7 Ironman

ML8 Cap

ML8 Ironman

Ml8 Doc Ock

ML8 Storm

ML8 ManThing

ML9 DrStrange

ML9 Deathlok

ML9 NightCrawler

ML9 War Machine

ML9 Bullseye

ML10 Omega Red

ML10 Black Panther

ML10 Sinister

ML11 Thorbuster Ironman

ML11 Logan

ML11 Vengeance

ML11 Taskmaster

ML12 Wolverine

ML12 Sasquatch

ML12 Bishop

ML12 Ironfist

ML12 Maestro

WM Kitty Pryde

WM Captain Britain

WM Aintman

WM Thor

WM Havok

WM Warbird

WM Sentry

ML13 Pyro

ML13 Abomination

ML13 Green Goblin

ML13 Loki (even though I hate the costume choice)

ML14 Psylocke

ML14 FA Ironman

ML14 Baron Zemo (even though I hate the costume)

ML14 Falcon (if you can find one with good paint)

ML15 Thorbuster Ironman

ML15 Moon Knight

ML15 Beta Ray Bill

ML15 Spiderwoman

ML15 Genis

ML15 Destroyer

Face Off Cap

Face Off Red Skull

Face Off Baron Strucker

Fave Off Hulk

Face Off Leader

Face Off Daredevil

Face Off Kingpin

Face Off Sabertooth

Face Off Wolverine

Face Off Punisher

Face Off Jigsaw

Fearsome Foes Rhino

Fearsome Foes Vulture

Galactus

Sentinel

Apocalypse

Giantman

Modok

Mojo

Onslaught (even though I hate the version they chose)

most of the HOM boxset

most of the Young Avengers boxset

SMC Superposeable Spiderman

SMC Sandman

SMC Scorpion

SMC Hob Goblin (newer one)

SMC Venom

Mecha Hulk

Gamma Punch Hulk

Smart Hulk

Absorbingman

A bunch of Xmen Classics and Xmen 3 "movie" figures

FFmovie Invisible Woman

FF Movie HUman Torch (with the sound base thingy)

FF Classics Superskrull

FF Classics Kang

FF Classics Dragonman

and probably some other Toybiz Legends I am forgetting

LCBH Savage Dragon

LCBH Judge Dredd

LCBH Ripclaw

LCBH SuperPatriot

PITT

LCBH Darkness

LCBH Judge Death

LCBH Star

Monkeyman

LCB Conan

LCBH Wraarl

Hasbro IronSpiderman

HML3 Cyclops

Hasbro Doom

is that what you wanted?

Haha way to go Clam!

is that what you wanted?

Yep! :D I was just curious which figures you thought were superb since it has been a while since we've seen positive Clam. ;)

They are gonna milk the old joints for whatever figures they can rehash, like they did for Cable, Cannonball (Ghost Rider), Domino (Rogue), etc., while they slowly phase in the new figures with the GI Joes joints (kneecap-less) for any new characters during the transition.

Cracks me up just a bit to read this since all the 25th GI Joes now have double-jointed knees. Thats the new style - they just have the new joints in the elbows. The new ML joints are more Star Wars - esque in nature.

I disagree with a lot of your complaints, Clam, but I usually figure your heart is in the right place.

Then I saw this:

ML3 Magneto

Now I wonder if your brain is in the right place. The Master of Magnetism should not look like he wears Depends.

I disagree with a lot of your complaints, Clam, but I usually figure your heart is in the right place.

Then I saw this:

ML3 Magneto

Now I wonder if your brain is in the right place. The Master of Magnetism should not look like he wears Depends.

he's not great.. but the only thing wrong with him is his belt being too big.... that doesn't necessarily ruin the figure.

he would benefit from having his own sculpt.. but he's alright

DC All the way, no lame ball-jointed hips making it look like the figure's nuts slipped out of their underwear.

no thirty-seven cuts all over the sculpt, making the figure impossible to stand up, and hideous to look at.

Classic Characters who have stood the test of time.

Make Mine DC!

DC All the way, no lame ball-jointed hips making it look like the figure's nuts slipped out of their underwear.

no thirty-seven cuts all over the sculpt, making the figure impossible to stand up, and hideous to look at.

Make Mine DC!

Then leave the marvel board lil' fella.

Make Mine DC!

learn to pose your figures then,its not the 37POA that make it hard to stand,its your incompetence

Make Mine DC!

without all of that articulation there would be so many less poses for the figures, and DC loses 100000000 points for ripping of ML BAF's

Make Mine DC!

sorry i have to quote this again

ive never had a problem getting a decent pose out of a figure,no matter how wonky the legs are,not matter how loose the ankles are,sorry you suck at posing figures,stick to dc where the only good pose they can get in is standing straight up

Make Mine DC!

sorry i have to quote this again

ive never had a problem getting a decent pose out of a figure,no matter how wonky the legs are,not matter how loose the ankles are,sorry you suck at posing figures,stick to dc where the only good pose they can get in is standing straight up

YEAH....WHAT HE SAID

lol, i get all kinds of poses with my DC figures.

sorry YOU can't seem to, but hey, we're not all posessed of limited imaginations.

as for ripping off Marvel's BAFs, DC ain't the first, and certainly won't be the last to do that, so that's a complete non-issue.

as for venturing away from the DC boards, well, I do collect MLs but that doesn't mean I don't have gripes about 'em.

I figure it's too early to do a fair comparison of Hasbro BAFs (with 3 in hand) and Mattel's (with 1 in hand). We all know that prototype pictures are inaccurate to use, so I am reserving judgement until we have a few more examples from Mattel. As for what we do know for sure: selection (of individual characters and BAF character), Hasbro's offerings haven't interested me enough to make any of their BAFs, produced or announced, to be "must-haves". On the other hand, I was excited about Metamorpho (regular size, but just looked cool) and I am really looking forward to Grundy. Plus Mattel has an edge in that you only need to buy 5 figures to build the BAF. I may even build Grodd (which a big monkey doesn't excite me) because I would only need 1 additional figure besides the ones I really want. Plus all these spare body parts laying around gets kind of grisly looking.

as for ripping off Marvel's BAFs, DC ain't the first, and certainly won't be the last to do that, so that's a complete non-issue.

obviously legends has made it more popular then ever but they certainly didn't invent the Build-A-Figure concept, it has existed for many years before ML ever came around

obviously legends has made it more popular then ever but they certainly didn't invent the Build-A-Figure concept, it has existed for many years before ML ever came around

jw, in what?

There can be some argument that Transformers and Voltron could be considered BaF's, but i'm also fairly certain Mcfarlene did a line a few years back with the concept as well, and even though i can't quite think of any more i know Toybiz didn't invent the concept

There can be some argument that Transformers and Voltron could be considered BaF's, but i'm also fairly certain Mcfarlene did a line a few years back with the concept as well, and even though i can't quite think of any more i know Toybiz didn't invent the concept

McFarlane's INTERLINK 6 line was a "combiner" line rather than a true BAF line. The individual figures all combined to form a larger character.

They did , however, release a Metal Gear Solid line that had a BAF within.

Its not a gimmick that has been used much before that though and I'm actually hard-pressed to name any toy-lines that feature a genuine BAF gimmick prior to that--Transformers is likely one.....

IIRC, in most cases those earlier figures were usually not much to sneeze at, which is why they are so hard to remember...